Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Critical Role seems big enough that WotC would notice if they did something. I mean, what percentage of 5E books are about them?

Exactly the same percentage as are about Acquisitions Incorporated, Eberron, or Rick and Morty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

Do gamers actually direct much outrage at Phoenix these days?

I know she was in some twitter slapfight a few months back. Given the nature of twitter, I figured there's always a contingent of people that will go and scream at anyone for associating with her (or the McElroys or whatever) in any context for the rest of time.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Satine was, and maybe still is?, a huge Zak stan. So it's not like it's just a twitter slapfight, she has a history of working with some very unpleasant people. Like when she did an Actual Play for Frog God games. Frog Games has as one of its owners Bill Webb, a sexual harasser and all around nasty piece of work.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Thanlis posted:

Exactly the same percentage as are about Acquisitions Incorporated, Eberron, or Rick and Morty.

So we all agree it is significant then.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Meinberg posted:

Satine was, and maybe still is?, a huge Zak stan. So it's not like it's just a twitter slapfight, she has a history of working with some very unpleasant people. Like when she did an Actual Play for Frog God games. Frog Games has as one of its owners Bill Webb, a sexual harasser and all around nasty piece of work.

She also did the art for a planetary romance LOTFP game written by James Desborough.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Meinberg posted:

The stuff with Zak was a longer period ago, I meant something else that happened more recently. Satine distanced herself from Zak after the stuff with Mandy Morbid came out and her Geek and Sundry videos with him were taken down. She was perfectly happy to work with him when there was plausible deniability that he wasn't a shithead though, yeah. Maybe it was the Frog God thing? I couldn't remember the specifics, just that she was doing some "woe is me" tweets right after and it was within the past like 12 months.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I'm still trying to parse the whiplash of this thread going directly from "we shouldn't be mean to this guy who worked on 5e products and didn't quit over Meals, because he's about promoting inclusivity elsewhere and you gotta survive under capitalism" to "we should totally be mean to this guy vaguebooking about being sad because he is willing to play 5e on his stream but hasn't demanded Mearls be fired. He's personally responsible for why Mearls is still around at a company he is not employed by"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Desiden posted:

I'm still trying to parse the whiplash of this thread going directly from "we shouldn't be mean to this guy who worked on 5e products and didn't quit over Meals, because he's about promoting inclusivity elsewhere and you gotta survive under capitalism" to "we should totally be mean to this guy vaguebooking about being sad because he is willing to play 5e on his stream but hasn't demanded Mearls be fired. He's personally responsible for why Mearls is still around at a company he is not employed by"

One of them has money.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Desiden posted:

it's almost like there's vastly different power balances at play, and that context makes a difference

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Desiden posted:

One has a devoted audience of hundreds of thousands of slavish fans hanging on his every word and is famous even outside niche TRPG twitter circles for their D&D related stuff and the other is not. I also don't hold the average junior associate assistant undermanager as accountable for Wal-Mart's lovely practices as I would someone like a major shareholder.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Meinberg posted:

it's almost like there's vastly different power balances at play, and that context makes a difference

True. One of the two unexpectedly had his goofy stream show get mega popular a few years ago, and had the audacity to...not really say anything about a guy who worked at a company he is not employed by. The other went and got employed directly by that guy, but did not get mega popular unexpectedly.

Like, you can dress it up however you like, but at the end of the day you're not shrieking at the people who hired Mearls, or who have kept him hired, or the guy who actually went to go work for him. You're yelling at a dude at best tangentially related because no one actually involved is listening to you. It's very Pundit-esque.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a perception that Mercer has substantial influence, which could considerably be directed at cleaning up the industry.

He's under no moral obligation to do anything but vague-tweet and cash paychecks, though.

He may or may not possess any real sway, but weighing in with "Ugh it's so hard to be me right now..." is such a pathetic non-stance on the issue that it's offensive to anyone with any opinions on the matter.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

moths posted:

There's a perception that Mercer has substantial influence, which could considerably be directed at cleaning up the industry.

He's under no moral obligation to do anything but vague-tweet and cash paychecks, though.

He may or may not possess any real sway, but weighing in with "Ugh it's so hard to be me right now..." is such a pathetic non-stance on the issue that it's offensive to anyone with any opinions on the matter.
Are y'all even sure he was talking about Mearls poo poo and not, like, the pandemic?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

moths posted:

If that's what that tweet was referencing anyway.

:shrug:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hey I have no actual skin in the game*, but do we have any actual evidence that his post was actually related to Mearls, WotC, D&D, etc. and not just that like his cat died or he had a really bad day or something? If he's elaborated sure, but just from that one incredibly vague tweet he could be slightly sad for literally thousands of reasons and trying to read into it is kind of madness.

*Or well I do in that I think Mearls is a poo poo-bag, but I just know Mercer as "that guy who runs a podcast I never got into".

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Desiden posted:

True. One of the two unexpectedly had his goofy stream show get mega popular a few years ago, and had the audacity to...not really say anything about a guy who worked at a company he is not employed by. The other went and got employed directly by that guy, but did not get mega popular unexpectedly.

Like, you can dress it up however you like, but at the end of the day you're not shrieking at the people who hired Mearls, or who have kept him hired, or the guy who actually went to go work for him. You're yelling at a dude at best tangentially related because no one actually involved is listening to you. It's very Pundit-esque.

One of the people involved is a nonbinary black person who can't pay rent, while the other is a super successful white dude who runs multi-million dollar kickstarters. gently caress off.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Nessus posted:

Are y'all even sure he was talking about Mearls poo poo and not, like, the pandemic?

Nobody knows for sure, maybe his goldfish died.

But that's the risk you take vage-tweeting. People take the parts they know and fill in the blanks with a mix of extrapolation and zeitgeist.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

EDIT: Nah, sorry, I'm being all bent out of shape and sensitive for bullshit not to do with what people are talking about here. Apologies for being so snarky and confrontational. Dealing with all the crazy wannabe rambos who keep descending on Lansing, both offline and on, has left me in attack mode. Imma bow out and get into a better space. Not fair to the conversation here. Sorry again.

Desiden fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 25, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm also squinting very hard and it's hard to see that as a double standard.

One person just found out their boss is Mike Mearls. The other could probably leverage enough pressure to get Mearls censured.

Money aside, the power discrepancy here is astronomical.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lord_Hambrose posted:

So we all agree it is significant then.

It's a cute way of saying that each of those things has exactly one product devoted to it. 5E hasn't exactly had an abundance of releases but I'm not sure one product means they have significant clout.

Mearls is garbage but I'm not sure if Critical Roll or any of the other people behind any of the other licensed products has any ability to get him fired

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 25, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Critical Role is more responsible for 5e's successes than Mearls is, but WotC may or may not be aware of this.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

BattleMaster posted:

It's a cute way of saying that each of those things has exactly one product devoted to it. 5E hasn't exactly had an abundance of releases but I'm not sure one product means they have significant clout.

Mearls is garbage but I'm not sure if Critical Roll or any of the other people behind any of the other licensed products has any ability to get him fired

Mercer couldn't just call up Mearls's boss and get him fired, but if the crew actually leveraged their influence through the show, they could probably get a big enough outcry to make it happen. E: Of course, as Dexo said earlier in the thread, this would burn some bridges.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 25, 2020

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

BattleMaster posted:

I can't get Mearls fired either but I'm still gonna fuckin' tweet about it. No one's mad at him for not immediately getting Mearls fired, they're mad at him for just looking the other way and tweeting requests for online hugs instead of even halfway voicing any sort of real concern.

And yeah, the timing of that tweet and the line about circling the wagons made it pretty obvious he knew eyes were about to be on him so went on a preemptive tour of "I'm just being my best me and you can't expect any more than that" type poo poo.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 25, 2020

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
You guys realise that the kickstarter money didn't like, go directly into Matt Mercer's money hole right? It was for an animated series, you have to pay animators to do that, and it costs a shitload of money. As far as I can tell the dude has gotten just rich enough to... afford the basic kind of healthcare coverage that most people get for free in developed nations.

Also some of you guys have a very interesting view of the world if you think that an incredibly minor internet celebrity has either the power or responsiblity to get the Hasbro corporation to stop engaging in child labour long enough to care and act on the fact that one of their managers in one of their least profitable brands handled harrasment allegations like an utter shithead several years ago.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
If Matt Mercer unhitched the muzzle on his fanbase and pointed them at WotC or Mike Mearls (let's be real here they'll go for Mearls and probably the rest of the D&D team even if he only tells them to go for WotC or Hasbro directly.) There absolutely would be a lot of noise and press and attention brought to the issue. I really don't know if that'd be enough to compel either company to drop Mearls when they weren't willing to back in February 2019 when the stories of Zak's abuse came out and Mearls was the more visibly inconvenient to have around.

Like people here know he sucks because he was friends or at least a friendly associate of Zak's for years. People here have strong reason to believe Mearls passed on their emails and other private communication uncensored to Zak because after Mearls put out a call for details on why Zak was objectionable, and then the people who sent Mearls things started getting threatening emails back, even on burner email accounts Zak wouldn't be able to trace to them otherwise. I completely believe that happened. It's totally in character for Zak to do that and I trust people here wouldn't need to make poo poo like that up to tarnish either of those idiots. We also know that he posted on Google+ about how he believed Zak was being smeared by SA trolls and was apparently still friends with him, so it's clear he didn't take any of the concerns seriously.

Based on the tweets Matt made back in February 2019, I'd guess he heard something about it, along with other stories about Zak:

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1095543841568960512

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1095543846954364928

But the evidence of the relationship between Zak and Mearls is also going to look pretty circumstantial, or easy to dismiss as a sociopath manipulating someone who trusts him to a legal team or HR department or mainstream journalist. Maybe WotC would still cut ties with Mearls to make the noise stop, but they're not going to like the way their hand was forced by an angry internet mob, either.

I'm not saying Matt shouldn't try, but I also don't think it would be as easy as making some politely worded tweets about why Mearls sucks and it's a way heavier burden to put on a guy burn his successful little fantasy franchise and public image on. Weaponizing a respectably-sized online fanbase is also going to be a complete mess to deal with on all fronts.

Of course the other solution is to start The Revolution so we don't have to worry about poo poo like brands, and intellectual property, and corporations holding our livelihoods hostage in lieu of letting shitheads coast by...

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 25, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Nobody is demanding that he single-handedly casts Mearls from heaven, but it would be a nice change to see some good attempted by someone in a position to.

He's generated a million dollars worth of kickstarter support for a cartoon - His tweets carry more weight than mine. It would be rad if he'd acknowledge the poisoned tree he's profiting from, rather than just whine about how hard it is to have ethics.

My wild speculation is that someone in the group developed a conscious about Mearls and the collective silence is causing internal friction.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Honestly, from what I've been able to tell digging around, I think he's talking about folks who are mad that he's not forcing everyone to go back to work on the campaign because COVID. I think this might have just been extremely poor timing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The story I heard continues to be that Zak somehow got someone at both Paradox and Wizards to sign a non-disparagement agreement, which would probably explain why people at both companies are so happy to never mention his name again.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I don't think anyone thinks Matt needs to challenge Mearls to pistols at dawn or whatever but considering he and the rest of the team DO genuinely seem to be on the good side of things and all it'd be nice if they maybe used the fact that, regardless of if Wizards is smart enough to know it themselves, they HAVE done more for 'the brand' than Mearls and his crew ever did to at least go 'it's absolute horse poo poo you keep this guy around'. He doesn't need to do some big "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? I'M MATT loving MERCER!!!!" thing, just kinda say it sucks and make it clear to his fans it's not alright.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Honestly, from what I've been able to tell digging around, I think he's talking about folks who are mad that he's not forcing everyone to go back to work on the campaign because COVID. I think this might have just been extremely poor timing.

If this is the case, and at this point I probably should give a bit of benefit of the doubt and say that it is, I'm sorry for going so aggro on the subject. I still think Mercer should say something, but saying nothing is... expected I guess, and somehow way less bad than if those tweets were about Mearls. To be honest, I'm probably overly stressing myself over the whole situation, and I'm sorry for going on the offense to the degree that I did.

I still think that Mearls and WotC have a lot to answer for though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I imagine that it's also, for a distressing amount of new D&D players, their first experience finding out That Thing I Like has its roots in poo poo.

Here, most of us have been aound the block enough times to have seen the sausage made and are capable of reconciling this, but I'm seeing chatter elsewhere about how we don't even know conclusively that Mearls did anything wrong and it's a really bad vibe.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

That makes way more sense than anything this thread has brought up.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

admanb posted:

That makes way more sense than anything this thread has brought up.

He vagueposted and the timing is extremely suspect. :shrug:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mors Rattus posted:

This is why I don't like "vagueposting", regardless of whatever it is might actually have been going on

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/wundergeek/status/1264365019631886337

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

This, on the other hand, is unambiguously bad.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

"Maybe you are the real harassers" is a take I didn't expect to see until next week

E: Wait is that ASH LAW weighing in at "uninformed and spun up?"

moths fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 25, 2020

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

moths posted:

E: Wait is that ASH LAW weighing in at "uninformed and spun up?"

Was this the games publisher who was an angry defender of Zak for years before feeling Super Betrayed when he learned that no, Zak was in fact bad all along?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
That's wundergeek, who ran the Go Make Me a Sandwich blog, not ASH LAW. They're the one who had the two-part breakdown about their history of interactions/harassment from Zak.

e- and afaik ASH LAW doesn't have much of an online presence beyond a patreon for 13th age content, but I never got an impression she got along with Zak at all.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nuns with Guns posted:

That's wundergeek, who ran the Go Make Me a Sandwich blog, not ASH LAW. They're the one who had the two-part breakdown about their history of interactions/harassment from Zak.

e- and afaik ASH LAW doesn't have much of an online presence beyond a patreon for 13th age content, but I never got an impression she got along with Zak at all.

Oh thank goodness