Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Boonoo posted:

You have to progress to a certain point before you can buy them.

Spoilers for progression if you care about that sort of thing:

Once you do enough Nook starts talking about getting kk slider to your town to play a concert. After you hit a 3 star rating on your evaluation he’ll show up. After that Tom Nook will unlock a terraforming feature. You can change the land and lay down different pathing materials.

It’s only after you unlock that that you can purchase those abilities.

Oh Jeez, I didn't know I had to get that far just to be able to build pathways :(

If only laying down custom tiles were quicker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I feel like I've been to the same two or three people's islands for meteor showers a bunch lately! I haven't had one of my own at all yet... makes me kinda jealous.

It's kinda cool to see the continuous improvements everyone's making, though. It's... also odd what you notice. For instance, tonight 3-Flats had double the poop in the sand compared to my last visit. That's vaguely concerning, but the rest of the place is amazing so I guess it's probably fine.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

emdash posted:

Apparently the gold trophy is 150k points

Ah ok, I was only at 115k points. I still have one room just for storing turnips

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

bio347 posted:

I feel like I've been to the same two or three people's islands for meteor showers a bunch lately! I haven't had one of my own at all yet... makes me kinda jealous.

It's kinda cool to see the continuous improvements everyone's making, though. It's... also odd what you notice. For instance, tonight 3-Flats had double the poop in the sand compared to my last visit. That's vaguely concerning, but the rest of the place is amazing so I guess it's probably fine.

:kimchi: to think my island is capable of getting compliments...!!

I totally revamped my island’s island since you visited last. I hope you noticed! (... I also just posted about it a bunch today, so... probably...)

Wait what do you mean ‘but the rest of the place’ huh

Edit: I’ve moved my parabolic antenna so everyone can run around my moon as we wait for stars. Come on by! It’s not busy :v: I’m lonely

E-flat fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 25, 2020

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

https://www.ft.com/content/68f96d24-02f0-42fd-b132-aba0acba777f

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Opening up my island giving away the last few paintings I have. They could be real or fake. Take all the fossils in front of my airport too. I'll be at the beach to the right of the airport.

Dodo code is BQ67H

Paintings are gone! There is a meteor shower going though.

DoYouHasaRabbit fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 25, 2020

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Hey goons, if anyone needs it, lucha is crafting GOLD HELMETS right now.

Feel free to take any spare diys but please leave the turnips as that’s all the bells I have to my name right now.

Dodo code is CLOSED. Thanks for everyone who came by

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 25, 2020

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Opening up my island giving away the last few paintings I have. They could be real or fake. Take all the fossils in front of my airport too. I'll be at the beach to the right of the airport.

Dodo code is BQ67H

Paintings are gone! There is a meteor shower going though.

Awww missed it. Just arrived. Well thanks anyways.

Edit: I did not miss it and you're awesome and your island is amazing!!! Thank you!!!

ExtrudeAlongCurve fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 25, 2020

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Awright which one of you fuckos is it

(Meteor Shower sans Celeste at 3 Flats! Come visit me at 18TWF. I'm surprised how few visitors I've gotten)

MossCoveredStones
Apr 26, 2020
The Mossy Isle tourist board wishes you a good evening and invites you to scoop up anything from the southern beaches that suits your fancy.

Really, I've got a ton of fossils just sitting out there, dyi recipes too, some furniture and clothes but mostly fossils. Able sisters don't have much in the way of interesting stuff nor does Nook's save for a yellow imperial wall lantern.

Dodo code is 03SSH

I'm gonna be mostly if not completely afk. Help yourselves to any fruit trees you want and don't worry about watering the flowers as it rained earlier today, oh and you may wish to bring an umbrella.

Double drat it! I forgot to turn sleep mode off on my switch! Sorry if someone got disconnected (I thought I'd already done that since something similar happened before! D'oh!)

MossCoveredStones fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 25, 2020

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Not sure where Celest is if she’s even here but Kitty Isle has shooting stars to come wish on:

3P65Y

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Macaluso posted:

What villagar types are getting into those arguments? Because it seems like normal villagers seem to be able to defuse any situation. Poppy has gotten into a few arguments and every time it ends with her going "gosh I guess we're just two different people" and then she bakes an entire cake for them with the words "friendship" on it or something. I've never seen angry Poppy

My lazies, rex and deli, always get into fights with pop stars and smug over their dumb sandwich dreams. I get it! It's a good sandwich, maybe have the bugs write it down before you go blabbing about it!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

E-flat posted:

Awright which one of you fuckos is it

(Meteor Shower sans Celeste at 3 Flats! Come visit me at 18TWF. I'm surprised how few visitors I've gotten)

Thanks again! That was fun.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
3 Flats is closed. Thanks for coming everyone! I know I had an absolute blast. It’s good to know that even when running around a moon doesn’t work, complaining will.

For real, goons come through. :3: Thanks for making my evening an enjoyable one.

E-flat fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 25, 2020

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Somebody earlier wanted zen garden ideas. Here's mine:

Also while I'm sharing let me show you around my island a bit! It's still only around 2/3rds done (I need SO MUCH furniture...) but I worked hard and want to show it off dammit!

Anyways, my island is capitalism themed. This means that I own about a third of the map as a private estate surrounded by 2 story walls and iron fences to keep the poors out.

The entrance to my property looks like this:

Up the stairs and to the left is the pool I'm working on. :

It's still pretty sparse but you can kind of see where It's going. Also, to the north of that photo is where a stage will be:

When it's done I'll host a goon pool party where we all dress up as rich psychopaths or something

Off to the side is this area, which is gated off and can't be reached. I wonder what's down there..:

Oh...

By the way there's an axe buried in the graveyard just out of view. I'm sure that's nothing to worry about.

Off to the side of my property is where the help lives. It's a perfectly ordinary house:

Or is it!?

It's probably best not to ask too many questions about that...

To the south where the planes let you out is the visitor center. It's designed so I can add a few fences and keep visitors contained if I want to let people sell turnips/buy poo poo but don't want to babysit them.

There's also a pizzeria!

To the west lives the middle class in their gated suburban community:

There's a park at the end of the street that's not at all safe for children because I wrote the safety codes and own the economy:

Further west are the flower fields where I'm currently trying to raise gold and blue roses. There's a spot to the south reserved for when the sloth inevitably gets his own shop in a future update.

North of that is a community park where I can make speeches about how great I am.

Directly behind the trees is the museum. The entrance looks like this:

There's a nature trail going north beside it to the national park but that's not done yet so no pictures for now.

And of course, no capitalist utopia would be complete without poor people! Just to the east of city hall is the entrance to Sector 7, where I put all the inferior and lazy animals. I surrounded the area with trees and flowers so visitors won't have to look at them. About half the animal population of the island lives here.

Here's what the streets look like. I only just now planted the weeds but give it some time (and a few more trash bags) and the area will have a nice rundown look.

In the back is a small park the animals made for their children among the debris:

Note that this and the tree in the community park are the only peach trees available to the public despite the fruit being native to the island. The rest can only be found on my estate where I hoard them for personal profit. Isn't capitalism fun!?

You may think me cruel, but they have it MUCH better than whoever is living in the woods of my estate:

That's all that's fit to take pictures of at the moment. I'll post more as I finish/update things. Thanks for tolerating my insanely long post!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

readingatwork posted:

That's all that's fit to take pictures of at the moment. I'll post more as I finish/update things. Thanks for tolerating my insanely long post!
"Tolerate" nothing, that was brilliant.

So I just unlocked bridges, inclines, and moving stuff around today, but Nook wants an exorbitant fee for doing them. Like, more than my home loan. You do get full god-mode unrestricted terraforming and moving stuff around later, don't you? This can't seriously be it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

"Tolerate" nothing, that was brilliant.

So I just unlocked bridges, inclines, and moving stuff around today, but Nook wants an exorbitant fee for doing them. Like, more than my home loan. You do get full god-mode unrestricted terraforming and moving stuff around later, don't you? This can't seriously be it.

Thanks!

Nope, you always need to spend a ton to move things around but fortunately the game gives you more money as you progress so it's not as big of an issue as you'd think.

Some common revenue sources are:
-Duplicate fossils
-Fruit trees (Plant a bunch! Remember, foreign fruit sells for more than the local ones)
-Bell tickets (at the endgame there's nothing else to really spend nook miles on)
-Gold roses ($1k per flower and they regenerate every couple days)
-Selling turnips to goons :siren:

Plus, once you unlock teraforming you can always just mark the space where a house will be and just build around that while you wait for the money for the move to come in.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

And More posted:

I kinda figured the shrunk shuffle wouldn't be in there. :(
You mean shyness? Cause that sounds a lot like shyness to me (comes from lazy types).

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Lost Whitney and found Derwin. Fair trade, IMO. Also he's moving in on his birthday, sucks if that screws him out of his party.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 25, 2020

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jesus. Wept.

:perfect:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

readingatwork posted:

Excesses of capitalism

Is it a coincidence your villager seems to resemble Elon Musk?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

RodShaft posted:

I built a thing...

That looks so cool. I might have to imitate those walls. :allears:

peepsalot posted:

You mean shyness? Cause that sounds a lot like shyness to me (comes from lazy types).

Doesn't sound like it to me. It's this little jig right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuokm_lBRC8

Magical Ponies
Jun 21, 2005

She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable.
This game would be 1000x better with the the ability to dance even if it was that. Shyness works, you just look super creepy.

SomeKindofVerb
Jan 12, 2010
I am finally getting on this hype train. I'm presently on day three and happily getting used to how ridiculously wholesome the entire experience is. I'm normally a little shy about the more social elements of games, but I don't think I'm going to be able to help myself with this one, it all sounds too endearing to deny myself; you're all clearly having too much fun.

When will I be able to get custom outfits and run around in some kind of Starfleet uniform?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

SomeKindofVerb posted:

I am finally getting on this hype train. I'm presently on day three and happily getting used to how ridiculously wholesome the entire experience is. I'm normally a little shy about the more social elements of games, but I don't think I'm going to be able to help myself with this one, it all sounds too endearing to deny myself; you're all clearly having too much fun.

When will I be able to get custom outfits and run around in some kind of Starfleet uniform?

I think after the Nooks open their own store, the museum is up, and you spend 5K with Abel when she visits with her clothing stand. After that she will open her own shop that will have a rotating a selection of clothes. The faster way though is to visit a goon island and check out their shops or the grab any freebies people are trying to get rid of.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

My daughter wants some visitors this morning, so I'm gonna open my island, Campsite.

Redd is here, bought David, but there is the statue of Venus Sold!, just go up the left side of the island, then along the back. All sold out!
Stu is making an Orange end table

There's some free stuff by the airport

Dodo code is in the other thread - Closed

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 25, 2020

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Looks like something went wrong on the host island.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Yeah, I assume someone minused out.

Not a Duck
Mar 17, 2009

I'm not a duck.

gninjagnome posted:

That's what happened. I was there when the person minused out. Redd had a genuine Glowing painting and I manage to buy it first. But then someone quietly left and it cause a reset back before I bought it. I made a run back to Redd but someone else bought it and I settled for the forgery. Not sure if it was intentional and done out of spite or just inconsideration.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

gninjagnome posted:

How do you know someone "minused out?" Was there a countdown or was there a connection error?

Marcie the pink Kangaroo is in boxes if anyone is interested.

Sriracha Tiger posted:

That's what happened. I was there when the person minused out. Redd had a genuine Glowing painting and I manage to buy it first. But then someone quietly left and it cause a reset back before I bought it. I made a run back to Redd but someone else bought it and I settled for the forgery. Not sure if it was intentional and done out of spite or just inconsideration.

This means someone got disconnected. Not that they minused out. Geez, y'all really want to blame someone for connection problems. If they minused out, there would be a countdown and it'd be obvious.

It would be malicious if they purposefully killed their connection or closed their console, but you don't know that. We're dealing with Wifi here, people.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 25, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Anyone have a recipe for the country fence? Can trade a miles ticket or something in exchange.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

readingatwork posted:

A sensible island
Well I for one am super proud to have contributed to such a sublime island! I see those poolside beds.

Renee hung some clothes I gave her on the wall! I guess that's different than displaying wall items, but it's still interesting.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bleh, I wish this stuff wasn't tied to specific personalities. Been trying to get a cranky villager for awhile but I only ever seen ones I totally don't like, or if I'm running nook islands I inevitably run into some non-cranky villager I really like.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

readingatwork posted:

my island is capitalism themed. This means that I own about a third of the map as a private estate surrounded by 2 story walls and iron fences to keep the poors out.

This entire post was loving gold. Thank you for enriching my brain with it.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Filled up my custom design slots and got five stars. Time to restart!

Whimper...

This is what it sounds like when the doves cry...

I think I'll time travel to the start of April and fast track from there. Is it possible to visit other islands when your date isn't synchronous with theirs? I hate not having all the fruit.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Thanks for your kind words everybody!

paperwind posted:

Is it a coincidence your villager seems to resemble Elon Musk?

Yes but lmao all the same. Gonna lean into that going forward.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Prowler posted:

How do you know someone "minused out?" Was there a countdown or was there a connection error?

I got a message that someone was leaving quietly. This was the second time I've hosted, so I googled, it and that's what it said happens when someone minus out, so I was assuming that's what happened.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

gninjagnome posted:

I got a message that someone was leaving quietly. This was the second time I've hosted, so I googled, it and that's what it said happens when someone minus out, so I was assuming that's what happened.

That information is incorrect. My friends frequently leave my island by using minus. I encourage it, since they would need to walk to the other side of the island. When they leave, it displays the normal "someone is leaving" message. Then you see the cutscene for them leaving from the airport as you normally do. The only way you would know they left that was is the fact that didn't see them walk to the airport.

On the other hand, a friend "left" yesterday because his power went out and of course shut off his internet. "Someone quietly left."

You'll also see that message if someone shuts off their Switch--whether by pressing the power button accidentally, or shutting off their tv.

Finally, a the only reason to get upset with someone leaving with the minus button is because it causes a force quit if someone is in a menu or conversation. If you leave using minus, and someone doesn't end their conversation/close their menu, there will be a 5 second countdown after a set period of time. The person leaving can cancel this countdown. If they don't, they will leave, and it may revert some save progress for those left on the island.

I've been "trapped" on an island this way by a friend who left a menu open before they went idle for work. I had to use minus to leave.

You will get the "It's time to leave" message if the host's switch sleeps due to being idle.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 25, 2020

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
DoDo Code: 6WLK1 CLOSED

Turnip prices are poo poo. But Snooty is crafting an “Ironwood Dresser”

After leaving the airport take a left, first house across the bridge.

Also let me know what you think of my town if you drop in. I may be afk.

LLJKSiLk fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Thank you, mystery visitor that left a bag of money behind my house. I never noticed it until this morning when I talked to a neighbor and the camera zoomed in. Who knows how long it's been there lol