Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Roughnecks make like 15 bucks an hour. But they generally get time and a half overtime, per diem, and then work 12s until the well is finished. Drills can take up to two months if they are deep and complicated. It ends up being decent money. If you hang around enough you can move up to Well Site Manager and roll 1200/day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

It's fine until you meet another truck coming the other way.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The fisheye lens is making that seem much worse than it is.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Facebook friend saw a plane land on the highway! His picture:

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/plane-lands-on-interstate-470-in-lees-summit

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Serephina posted:

The fisheye lens is making that seem much worse than it is.

Given that the truck bed is full of unsecured human cargo, I don't see how.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Well, adjacent to the highway, anyway.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Better than on the highway, props for that.

I read about a big plane landing on a highway in the States, once. Did not end well for anyone.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Looking at this and all the chains flying, heavy steel being thrown around, I remembered that garbage man was the most dangerous job or something and like miles above being a cop. Someone should have that stat. Mist be per capita or something because I’d die the first day as a roughneck.

Have garbo deaths dropped a lot now they stay in the cab and use a robot arm on the bins?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

I would have guessed fire fighters to be higher, but I guess it makes sense that if a firefighter gets hurt, there are likely to be a bunch of other firefighters with first aid training and gear right there with them.

When I trained as a volunteer firefighter, safety was repeatedly stressed as being the #1 priority at every stage of every procedure. If poo poo burns because you were busy being safe then that is 100% acceptable.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento posted:

nahh

nahh

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

MRC48B posted:

I'm not surprised by the firefighter stats at all. actual fire callouts have dropped massively over the last few decades. 90% of fire department responses are EMS calls

at the same time , firefighting science and training levels have risen, and the formation of specialty teams for crap like technical rescue and wilderness search means you aren't just shoving bodies at problems.

same but because its the us and 90% of the fire fighters are hank hill moron volunteers or prisoners. both of which wouldnt be counted because they arent being payed to do it so it isnt their job.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lowtax got his pilot license?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mokinokaro posted:

Lowtax got his pilot license?

Nah.

He didn’t need one. He was just Lowtaxiing.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

tak posted:

Yeah it's up there, behind ground maintenance and taxi drivers

What's up with the ridiculously high deaths per 100,000 in the US? Looking at stats for Australia (from https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/) we have 11.2/100,000 deaths for agriculture, forestry & fishing industries compared to somewhere between twice as many to over 8 times as many deaths in the US according to that chart. Overall fatalities are about 3 times as bad in the US with 3.2/100,000 against 1.1/100,000. Seems like a crazy difference and I don't feel like we have a particularly strong safety culture over here or anything.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'd guess it's those are industries dominated by under paid immigrant labor. Also America really doesn't give a poo poo about labor, only money

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mahatma-Squid posted:

What's up with the ridiculously high deaths per 100,000 in the US? Looking at stats for Australia (from https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/) we have 11.2/100,000 deaths for agriculture, forestry & fishing industries compared to somewhere between twice as many to over 8 times as many deaths in the US according to that chart. Overall fatalities are about 3 times as bad in the US with 3.2/100,000 against 1.1/100,000. Seems like a crazy difference and I don't feel like we have a particularly strong safety culture over here or anything.

The US has an ok safety culture of like PPE and guarding against acute individual injury but we'll let the whole job site explode to save a nickel so long as everyone's wearing gloves while it happens

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I don't even want to be the drone

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba

PainterofCrap posted:

I don't even want to be the drone

good news, its a selfie-stick

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
oh no

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mother of God.

Eric was right. :catstare:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Does Australia have poo poo lagoons? That has to account for a bunch of the US agriculture deaths.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Isn't Lee's Summit where Lowtax lives? Hmmmmm

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ill-walk.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mllaneza posted:

Ill-walk.mp4

Good luck walking on a mountain road used also by trucks that are wider than the road.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Is that Simone Giertz...? I've never seen something of hers catch fire though.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's a nice big frayed spot at the 9 second mark.

Really impressive.
Whole thing is one 'fraid not.... :dadjoke:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

Cable Guy posted:

Is that Simone Giertz...? I've never seen something of hers catch fire though.

I don't really understand how the fire starts inside the bowl

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Yellow Yoshi posted:

I don't really understand how the fire starts inside the bowl

It's a joke based on the time Homer Simpson tried to make breakfast for Mr. Burns and everything caught on fire.

https://i.imgur.com/BIiJk6r.mp4

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
"Oh, right, in a cartoon. Fuckin' 'ell."

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Looks about as safe as the waterfall road I posted a while back.

https://i.imgur.com/5VIgh5t.gifv

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Mahatma-Squid posted:

I would consider the UK to be quite conscious regarding health and safety and our workplace death rate is .53 per 100k.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Waterfall road is way more effed up

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Mahatma-Squid posted:

public healthcare and unions that still do stuff accounts for a lot i'll bet. sometimes there's an ALP government and they try to preserve (or improve!) workers rights. the stats in agriculture might be a little less rosy than they look because they don't account for suicide (but do account for family workers, which i was curious about).

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I figured the danger factor made it OSHA.

It also reminded me of the time or two me and my idiot friends used a come-along to tow a non-working vehicle behind another vehicle in town. I piloted the vehicle being towed, and having to steer and brake an unpowered vehicle without ramming the vehicle in front of me or tearing off the tow hitch was a bit stressful. Still, we accomplished the task.

I did that but additionally i had to turn the key in the ignition as hard as possible and hold it there because that was the only way to get around the steering lock. This meant i only had one hand to steer with power steering that wasn't working. Those were a fun couple of kilometers around some pretty sharp turns!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Looks about as safe as the waterfall road I posted a while back.

https://i.imgur.com/5VIgh5t.gifv

looks like a larger scale version of what happened where I live where we got 700mm of rain in a week with 500mm of it being over a weekend. The bottom end of my street had that much water over it and other parts of the mountains had landslides under the downpour that we had. At least one area that had a landslip is still shut cause the local government can't afford to assess the damage before they repair it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/cMqCMno.gifv

I’ll never understand this.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's probably a lot of fun for a minute or two until you die.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

If I could do that with zero risk, I would do little else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Everyone pretends to be an airplane when they're a kid, but as soon as they get the option it's :hmmno:

I want to try this, but somewhere where I'm not 10ft off the deck and dodging trees like I'm an X-wing running the surface of the death star