Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So I'm playing with my friends on a Journey Mode world with the difficulty set to Expert and I feel like I'm not getting nearly as much money off of drops as I should be. It's feeling like turning it up to Expert is increasing enemy strength properly but it isn't increasing coin drops at all compared to Classic, has anybody else noticed anything about this or is it just something weird going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Dreamsicle posted:

Also if I don't feel ready for a Mech boss when they spawn, can I save and exit to avoid the fight like I could with the Eye?

I guess but why though? It doesn't matter if a boss kills you unless you're doing some sort of ironman run.

On a different subject, goddamnit of course the one time I actually want one of those stupid special furniture crafting stations it doesn't show up anywhere. :mad:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Deformed Church posted:

The biggest challenge with that gear will be beating Wall of Flesh - Night's Edge might work but as people has said swords just aren't great.
Wall of Flesh is about when melee-range weapons stop cutting it.

You can get ranged melee-category weapons, but you basically are not going to deal with the Wall and future bosses without being able to put distance between you and the boss while still fighting.

Cardiovorax posted:

No, you can't. You can't move him out of a surface shroom biome at all, the game just gives you an error message. You can transfer him between different ones, if you have them, but that's as far as it goes.
However, since the Mushroom biome has its own pylon, you can put your artifical mushroom house near somewhere you want access to that's in the same biome as an existing pylon. I put mine near the Dungeon entrance since it was in Forest, but the Forest pylon is busy sitting at my home base.

Khanstant posted:

Also, playing on classic atm, wanted to try the original intended experience first. Research sounds cool though, honestly sounds like something you'd maybe need in the normal game anyway?

Like, I started up the game and my first night I got more shooting stars than I knew what to do with, and I instantly knew how to make myself those mana potions. I guess you just rationalize it by the guide being nearby who could teach you every recipe? Just progression-wise, it's a little weird to start the game and instantly become mega mana magic man. On the other hand, I don't know any spells or uses for mana anyway so its not actually a big deal either way
That's not research, research is blowing up enough of an item until you can spawn unlimited amounts of it at will.

All crafting in the game requires you to just have the ingredients and appropriate crafting stations nearby.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zereth posted:

However, since the Mushroom biome has its own pylon, you can put your artifical mushroom house near somewhere you want access to that's in the same biome as an existing pylon. I put mine near the Dungeon entrance since it was in Forest, but the Forest pylon is busy sitting at my home base.
Does Glowing Mushroom biome supersede corruption biomes if it is placed within them? Because that could be kind of convenient for certain situations. Just place it high enough in the air that the corruption can't spread there and you have a permanent foothold.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have a hard time imagining using anything other than magic weapons simply because of the variety. It feels like you always have a lot of different weapons you could be using that do radically different thing and other weapon types don't really have that going for them, at least that I've seen.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I have a hard time imagining using anything other than magic weapons simply because of the variety. It feels like you always have a lot of different weapons you could be using that do radically different thing and other weapon types don't really have that going for them, at least that I've seen.

Magic's variety makes it an excellent supplement to the other styles, and the limited mana pool makes it a good idea to have a melee/ranged backup. Magic does a lot of things but your fundamental damage dealing is still basically just shooting projectiles.

Similarly with summoning; you've got no reason not to have at least one minion floating around, and even if you're all-in on summon you might as well have a weapon since you're not doing anything else with your hands.

It's always best to have a little of everything, while you orient your build to whichever you find most effective.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Ranged has a fair bit of variety but a lot of it comes in late or requires fishing under annoying circumstances.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yoyo's with the yoyo bag really tear everything apart at all stages of the game. They deal tons of damage and are also fine against crows thanks to the yoyo bag, and you can also cheese poo poo with it by standing behind a wall and yo-ing through a gap. You can also get some of the best yoyo's right out of the gate in hard mode (in the jungle or frost).

me playing terraria:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fp4uIl5Lmk

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've actually never done a yoyo run, they just always seemed too conceptually weird to me. Any recommendations on getting started? I just pushed a world into hardmode.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The problem with yoyos is that you have to track down the skeleton merchant to get started and then do it again in hardmode to finish your yoyo bag. Once you do you get 4 of them bouncing around hitting things for pretty good damage.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Cardiovorax posted:

I've actually never done a yoyo run, they just always seemed too conceptually weird to me. Any recommendations on getting started? I just pushed a world into hardmode.

A yo-yo playthrough was by far my favorite, and easiest, even on expert. I'm so tempted to do it again for 1.4, but there's so much new stuff. I've never done a magic playthru, so I'll probably do that.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

central dogma posted:

A yo-yo playthrough was by far my favorite, and easiest, even on expert. I'm so tempted to do it again for 1.4, but there's so much new stuff. I've never done a magic playthru, so I'll probably do that.

IMO Magic is probably my favorite playthrough just because you start off as the shittiest of all classes and by the end are surpassing everything else with ease. If melee is a linear power increase over the game and ranged is a pretty solid step function, mage is just a logarithmic increase.

Cardiovorax posted:

Does Glowing Mushroom biome supersede corruption biomes if it is placed within them? Because that could be kind of convenient for certain situations. Just place it high enough in the air that the corruption can't spread there and you have a permanent foothold.

Mushroom does not override corruption even though it does not show it graphically. A small mushroom biome surrounded by corruption is uninhabitable.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Omnicarus posted:

If melee is a linear power increase over the game and ranged is a pretty solid step function, mage is just a logarithmic increase.

Hmm, can't argue with math! I'll start a magic playthru. Fitting that I'll do the only build I haven't tried yet for Journey's End.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i want to keep using proper flails as much as possible because they're probably the most fun melee weapons in the game

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Regarding corrupting the jungle a few pages ago, it is definitely a real threat. There was evidence of it spreading (slowly) and I had to clentaminate the entire infected jungle into hallow just to be sure there wouldn't be a resurgence. There's still a little pocket of nasty surface corruption that I missed too from the looks of it (I don't mind the little underground bit at the bottom)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
assuming I don't need hard mode ore is there any real benefit to fishing outside of angler quests, or for crates in particular?

also how do you fish in lava? i had a magma snail but nothing was biting.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Of all the places for a meteor to loving land :negative:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

One of the perks of having built a town above the Oasis: Meteors can’t fall near NPCs. :v:
My condolences.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Meteors also won't fall near chests.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Of all the places for a meteor to loving land :negative:

While it's probably going to be a kind of a pain to replace that much water without some form of water creation? (so many buckets)

I accidentally created an oasis biome, so far as my surprise at fishing up an oasis chest from a formerly dry desert shows. And you can too :buddy:

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Section Z posted:

While it's probably going to be a kind of a pain to replace that much water without some form of water creation? (so many buckets)

I accidentally created an oasis biome, so far as my surprise at fishing up an oasis chest from a formerly dry desert shows. And you can too :buddy:

All you need is one bucket, water duplication is pretty easy. Make a U shaped platform out of 5 blocks and hammer down one of the side blocks so that it is half size. When you place water above the half block it will flow to the side into the U shape and down the other side (what you want to fill up). You can instantly pick up the water after placing it down and just repeat until the desired amount of water has been produced. You can also use hammered half blocks in the path of where the water flows to have it duplicate on the way down as well.

This also works for honey and lava, but it slower; especially for honey, because you need to wait for it to flow a little before picking back up.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

that ivy guy posted:

Regarding corrupting the jungle a few pages ago, it is definitely a real threat. There was evidence of it spreading (slowly) and I had to clentaminate the entire infected jungle into hallow just to be sure there wouldn't be a resurgence. There's still a little pocket of nasty surface corruption that I missed too from the looks of it (I don't mind the little underground bit at the bottom)

Rehashing a major derail several pages ago, but no, it's not. Corruption only overtakes the surface jungle at worst; it cannot spread effectively in the underground jungle. No one has ever had their underground jungle get replaced by corruption no matter how long they let it spread unchecked. There is no screenshot of this happening, among the huge playerbase. The mechanics of spreading are nerfed. You don't have to worry about your jungle, and the other biomes aren't hurt by it anyway.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

other biomes are definitely hurt by it, desert and snow biomes are highly susceptible to spread which will make your towns inhabitable

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Maguoob posted:

All you need is one bucket, water duplication is pretty easy. Make a U shaped platform out of 5 blocks and hammer down one of the side blocks so that it is half size. When you place water above the half block it will flow to the side into the U shape and down the other side (what you want to fill up). You can instantly pick up the water after placing it down and just repeat until the desired amount of water has been produced. You can also use hammered half blocks in the path of where the water flows to have it duplicate on the way down as well.

This also works for honey and lava, but it slower; especially for honey, because you need to wait for it to flow a little before picking back up.
Man, I forgot how small that trick could be. I was thinking of some pump and switch setups I've seen screenshots of for an all in one liquid duplication setup.

God bless videogame physics :allears:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Playing on Journey mode, wanted to get the cell phone before Hardmode, using time control and duped quest fish. the Sextant I only got about a dozen to two dozen tries after getting the Golden Rod. orz.

Also, the Travelling Merchant has some fun new items: New Pre- and Post-Hardmode Magic guns (requiring a kill on any boss and a mech boss, respectively). These oval office as space guns for the meteor armor set bonus, and their shots do odd things when hitting an enemy, such as changing velocity at random, teleporting randomly, changing direction, multiplying, mega damage or knockback, or going through enemies and blocks. It shreds worms hard.

Also, found out if you freeze time and then change time to dawn while it is frozen you will get a Travelling Merchant each time. Just switch to dusk to dawn repeatedly to get the guy to show up constantly and get his entire inventory.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is there anything that shows how much fishing power is required for various pools? I had 85 fishing power and a lava pool was giving me no pops.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, I gotta be honest. Master Mode actually made me retroactively really appreciate Revengeance mode from Calamity. Yeah, it was a hard mode, but it actually did it in an interesting way rather than just increasing a bunch of numbers and calling it a day.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

watho posted:

other biomes are definitely hurt by it, desert and snow biomes are highly susceptible to spread which will make your towns inhabitable

This is repeating the other page... but in the case of desert and snow, it merely adds more spawn possibilities, doesn't remove any, and it's reversible. There's zero risk of "oh no I lost this biome on my map and I'll never get it back" like people think can happen with the jungle. Towns becoming uninhabitable is a separate issue from losing a biome, and mostly happens right after Wall of Flesh if you've placed your town off of the map center.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 25, 2020

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm trying to find a chisel in a corrupted desert and it feels impossible. I can barely even make it a few leagues underground before being totally overwhelmed by endless enemy swarms. Its ridiculous, even for hardmode.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Master seems very dumb considering there's really no new content, just stats turned up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

watho posted:

Plant a few sunflowers at the edges and it won't be a problem. Or preemptively spread hallow there.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

This is repeating the other page... but in the case of desert and snow, it merely adds more spawn possibilities, doesn't remove any, and it's reversible. There's zero risk of "oh no I lost this biome on my map and I'll never get it back" like people think can happen with the jungle. Towns becoming uninhabitable is a separate issue from losing a biome, and mostly happens right after Wall of Flesh if you've placed your town off of the map center.

considering the pylon and npc hapiness systems towns becoming inhabitable and losing a biome are very much interlinked problems. yes the underground jungle is safe from corruption but that doesn't mean that the spread of corruption is completely harmless

dis astranagant posted:

Plant a few sunflowers at the edges and it won't be a problem. Or preemptively spread hallow there.

that's what i ended up doing, but it kinda sucks because while pylons don't care if a desert is hallowed or not, you won't get the happiness bonus from a hallowed desert

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Cuntellectual posted:

Master seems very dumb considering there's really no new content, just stats turned up.

I think there's some unique drops so it's probably worth it to play after gearing up your main and treating it like NG+

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Kill All Cops posted:

I think there's some unique drops so it's probably worth it to play after gearing up your main and treating it like NG+

Hell the trophies you get are worth it alone. You can't ask for better bling for your home/npcprisoncomplex.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Kill All Cops posted:

The Pirate ship boss from pirate event drops a flying mount that has the same horizontal speed as a water-buffed fishron mount, it's insane that early.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

question: did the water physics update break all the duplication means? do I need to find an actual lake to hook up to my artificial snow sky lake?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I'm making a new arena and trying to think of the new buffs for it,

Campfire
Heart Lantern
Star Lantern
Sunflower
Bast Statue
Garden Gnome (+luck?)

Is that about it for placeable buff items or am I missing anything important?

I know you can power heart/star statues but too lazy for that, and also can't be bothered with honey buff (I've done bubbles and honey for Expert Moon Lord before but this is more of a fixed arena)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

SirSamVimes posted:

question: did the water physics update break all the duplication means? do I need to find an actual lake to hook up to my artificial snow sky lake?

nope

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

VodeAndreas posted:

I'm making a new arena and trying to think of the new buffs for it,

Campfire
Heart Lantern
Star Lantern
Sunflower
Bast Statue
Garden Gnome (+luck?)

Is that about it for placeable buff items or am I missing anything important?

I know you can power heart/star statues but too lazy for that, and also can't be bothered with honey buff (I've done bubbles and honey for Expert Moon Lord before but this is more of a fixed arena)

Your sharpening station or equivalent for your weapon

Your mount, if riding one would help you maneuver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

then how do I duplicate liquids

edit: this is the setup I have

this is what I'm trying to replicate

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 25, 2020