Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Or tax them at all.

Check out Stalin McJobsKiller here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Nanpa posted:

Does "in cash" mean in term/bank deposits or something else? Is that just to have a safe asset to draw upon instead of getting fire sale prices for stocks at the bottom of the market or something else?

Yeah pretty much. While technically not cash, bonds might be in the same boat if they're safe enough and liquid enough i.e. government bonds.

Just be careful of some term deposits from finance companies because while they offer a much higher rate of return they are not covered by the deposit guarantee and the companies are nowhere near as well capitalised as the major banks. Banksia was a classic example of this and we've only just finished with those this year even though it went belly up in 2011 or something because of all the class actions and whatnot going on in the aftermath.

The idea is pretty much as you say, if there's a prolonged downturn in the market you aren't forced to sell assets at a depressed price in order to fund your pension. You need to withdraw between 4% and 14% from your super income streams each year depending on your age in order to comply with the regulations, so it's not like in that situation you can just decide to tighten your belt and live off your savings outside of super until it blows over. This is why one of the Covid measures was a temporary 50% decrease in the minimum pension drawdown people are required to make in 2020 and 2021 - because fuckwit boomers don't have enough cash on hand in their SMSFs.

The most aggressive Australian Super blend has 4% cash at the moment, and the typical advice would be for people to move that into a balanced or conservative blend as they get older to reduce the risk of fluctuations in the value of their investments as they approach retirement and have cash on hand when they enter retirement and need to fund a pension.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

teacup posted:

Like I get how things fall through the cracks. My auntie lives in a house she’s lived in for like 60 years and it’s suck if she lost her pension because it’s now worth heaps, she’s never owned another property and lived really modestly her whole life.

But as with anything I bet it’s a minority like that and many just want to be able to live indefinitely off their investments without any penalty in the world

I think you would be surprised at how many "rich boomer" are pretty much rich only in the massive and sweetly located house they live in.

One of the goals of reforms such as land tax is specifically to get boomers to downsize as they get older and prevent them sitting in a $1 million house that could house a growing family and yet still require a pension to survive. The intent is that the assets would be sold and proceeds used to fund their old age in place of the pension for as long as possible. This would increase housing affordability and reduce the pension bill.

I think of UBI as the provision of government services such as health, education and security. Social security given out as cash is basically privatizing provision of things such as food, recreation and housing. You increase the proportion given out as cash, it naturally leads to reduction in government provided services.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I think of UBI as the provision of government services such as health, education and security. Social security given out as cash is basically privatizing provision of things such as food, recreation and housing. You increase the proportion given out as cash, it naturally leads to reduction in government provided services.
I uhhh yeah uhhhh that's totally how it works. I think I missed the part where the government provides food and recreation as a service, though. And state provided housing is already woefully insufficient as it is, regardless of JobSeeker/Pension amounts.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I think you would be surprised at how many "rich boomer" are pretty much rich only in the massive and sweetly located house they live in.

One of the goals of reforms such as land tax is specifically to get boomers to downsize as they get older and prevent them sitting in a $1 million house that could house a growing family and yet still require a pension to survive. The intent is that the assets would be sold and proceeds used to fund their old age in place of the pension for as long as possible. This would increase housing affordability and reduce the pension bill.

A pleasant side effect of this would also be retirees suddenly being in a situation where it makes sense to support the development of smaller/denser/more appropriate housing in their neighbourhoods.

Right now, their opposition to development in their suburb is effectively an opposition to anyone younger or poorer than them moving in, while also locking out individuals in their own cohort who want to downsize.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

CrazyTolradi posted:

I uhhh yeah uhhhh that's totally how it works. I think I missed the part where the government provides food and recreation as a service, though. And state provided housing is already woefully insufficient as it is, regardless of JobSeeker/Pension amounts.

Soup kitchens and school meals are examples of government produced and suppled food (more UK/US than Aus), parks as government supplied recreation and halfway house housing as the housing. You can argue the best way to provide those services but for the most part, the common approach is NewStarter/social security/rent-assistance etc and that money is used by the citizen to make their own assessment of best bang for buck as opposed to lining up at the designated soup kitchen in their designated estate after a quick game of Estate901 vs Estate902 lacrosse.

froglet posted:

A pleasant side effect of this would also be retirees suddenly being in a situation where it makes sense to support the development of smaller/denser/more appropriate housing in their neighbourhoods.

Right now, their opposition to development in their suburb is effectively an opposition to anyone younger or poorer than them moving in, while also locking out individuals in their own cohort who want to downsize.

yeah, why fight all day and all night about taking their rights where with just a few modest changes to the tax laws, all of a sudden they will be big fans of economical housing in livable areas.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

froglet posted:

You know they’ll all end up in some lovely over 50s village complaining about the youth of today and giving each other syphilis

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gay picnic defence posted:

You know we'll all end up in some lovely over 50s village complaining about the youth of today and giving each other syphilis

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Cartoon posted:

Every school bus I observed this morning was absolutely packed to the rafters with no attempt what so ever towards social distancing #notascreepyasitsounds.

Short of shutting the schools down again, there's no practical fix for this that I can think of, and considering I drove a school bus that was at drat near capacity this afternoon, it's sure as poo poo on my mind.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Friendly Fire posted:

Short of shutting the schools down again, there's no practical fix for this that I can think of, and considering I drove a school bus that was at drat near capacity this afternoon, it's sure as poo poo on my mind.

We've cancelled all social distancing measures for children as of today at school, but we're in WA. No more staggering lunches, no nothing. I think we're still not letting parents into the school, but I'm not sure of that.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Very glad the Hillsong global youth conference can continue unrestricted

E: oh they canned it, very dissapointed the push to reopen is just market bloodlust instead of a protestant conspiracy

"Every year, I look forward to Hillsong Conference with great expectation. This year was no exception as it was looking like a packed and sold out conference. However, in light of the current global climate, as the world continues to grapple with COVID-19, it is with a devotion to wisdom and to the health and well-being of all that we have made the decision to postpone Hillsong Conference 2020 until 2021."

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 25, 2020

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Peccadillo posted:

Very glad the Hillsong global youth conference can continue unrestricted

E: oh they canned it, very dissapointed the push to reopen is just market bloodlust instead of a protestant conspiracy

"Every year, I look forward to Hillsong Conference with great expectation. This year was no exception as it was looking like a packed and sold out conference. However, in light of the current global climate, as the world continues to grapple with COVID-19, it is with a devotion to wisdom and to the health and well-being of all that we have made the decision to postpone Hillsong Conference 2020 until 2021."

Surely god would protect them for a few dollars more, they dont seem very strong in faith

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You know they’ll all end up in some lovely over 50s village complaining about the youth of today and giving each other syphilis

if i'm lucky

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Jobmaker

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Everyone I've heard talking about jobkeeper and jobseeker mix up the terms, including me. Why would you do jobmaker. Did the job providers feel left out. What's next in the job expanded universe

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Job Reaper

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/may/26/welfare-recipients-facing-five-month-delays-to-exit-cashless-debit-card-scheme

quote:

A cashless debit card “opt out” scheme introduced last year to allow people to exit the controversial program has been plagued by long delays, leaving participants trapped on income management.
Data provided to the Senate estimates process reveals the Department of Social Services is taking an average of five months to process claims from participants proving they are financially responsible.
Of 859 applications lodged since September, 823 remain under consideration. Only about 30 claims have been accepted across all the trial sites, with a smaller number rejected.
More than 200 people who have moved out of the cashless debit card zones have applied to be released from the trial, but the department is yet to approve one of these claims.

To exit the cashless debit card program, welfare recipients must show they can “reasonably and responsibly manage” their personal and financial affairs by providing bank statements, rental or housing information and school attendance records for those who have children.
They must also undertake an interview with the Department of Social Services.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

bandaid.friend posted:

Everyone I've heard talking about jobkeeper and jobseeker mix up the terms, including me. Why would you do jobmaker. Did the job providers feel left out. What's next in the job expanded universe

JobHelper - The government is going to help companies who mainly employ casuals not get hosed by the court ruling.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Department of Social Services to require JobSeekers to pass a Bene Gesserit Gom Jobbar pain test

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

working as intended

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
And as predicted by several in this thread the libs are talking about IR reform.

This is the one thing that did end Howard’s reign, will it happen again!?

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Zenithe posted:

Jobmaker

We appear to back to politics as usual at this point. So this is going to be IR reform and cash to mates considering the lack of detail, and the clear lack of understanding about how the current welfare measures are propping up what little is left of the economy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

teacup posted:

And as predicted by several in this thread the libs are talking about IR reform.

*takes long sip of water* I don't think so

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
My uni rejected the NTEU framework, what a surprise. There was no real reason for them to play ball anyway.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

teacup posted:

My bold prediction is no it won't and the ALP will 'express concerns' about the proposed legislation but vote for it anyway.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Recoome posted:

My uni rejected the NTEU framework, what a surprise. There was no real reason for them to play ball anyway.

My uni has done the same and is about to sack a bunch of people.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bandaid.friend posted:

Remember that Morrison is all about marketing despite being poo poo at it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

x1o posted:

My uni has done the same and is about to sack a bunch of people.

Like i'm glad the NTEU actually tried but my reading of the VC's statement is that my uni considers itself "too big to fail" and they didn't feel like they needed to kowtow to the union to stay afloat. I've posted earlier but my uni has also started the layoffs/winding back staff and have cut-down teaching expenses already. I'm lucky that I've got a specific teaching niche that won't likely go away but loving hell.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

teacup posted:

If the ACTU and/or the ALP where up to playing it smart they would campaign for an accord style 'return to normal' that includes a bunch of stuff the neo-cons want (in the short term and for a limited period) but with major structural reforms like decasualisation. Even for a significant amount of short term pain. It would just need to be carefully undertaken to ensure things were better afterwards. The current crop of clowns are so terrible at everything a bunch of difficult language in the actual agreement should see them fooled. Even if the stats were juked by as little as sixty billion.

In a worst case scenario, for the local economy, unemployment might reach levels where huge persistent dole queues and actual food riots became a daily occurrence. Bullshit IR reform to improve the heft of the boot on the throats of workers might not go down very well.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Recoome posted:

Like i'm glad the NTEU actually tried but my reading of the VC's statement is that my uni considers itself "too big to fail" and they didn't feel like they needed to kowtow to the union to stay afloat. I've posted earlier but my uni has also started the layoffs/winding back staff and have cut-down teaching expenses already. I'm lucky that I've got a specific teaching niche that won't likely go away but loving hell.

Yeah, the NTEU tried here as well, but our VC pretty much went "We're not doing it because you liked your EA so much, we wouldn't dare change it", so it's a 5% headcount reduction. I'm on the general staff side of things so we're all pretty miserable right now, as we're probably going to cop the brunt of the reductions. I like to think my position is secure, but I'm preparing for the worst. Their response to the question "Are the Uni execs going to take a pay cut?" was infuriating, pure distilled gently caress you got mine.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Cartoon posted:

In a worst case scenario, for the local economy, unemployment might reach levels where huge persistent dole queues and actual food riots became a daily occurrence. Bullshit IR reform to improve the heft of the boot on the throats of workers might not go down very well.
Nah they'll just cut the minimum wage and cut the JobSeeker payment to force people into all the newly created crappy low paying jobs.

I have little faith in Australians to think that they would support any kind of opposition to any new measures. Individuals will each say yeah it sucks for me but at least all the dole bludgers and so on are eating poo poo as the lord intended and be fine with it.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Hate to break it to you but a lot of suburbs are now 50s retirement villages.

teacup posted:

They have power for what, another 2 years at least? They have the numbers to put the changes through, I doubt Labor will put up much of a fight, and the worst affected will be too busy working multiple casual jobs to campaign for change when the next election rolls around.

I mean, I'm obviously still going to chip away and do my bit, and so will a lot of people, but it's loving infuriating seeing this come from a mile off while everyone around you goes "welp, what can ya do?".

froglet fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 26, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Part of the big backlash to WorkChoices also came about because it wasn't in reaction to anything. In 2005-2007 it was a boom time for Australia. The economy was growing, commodity prices were high. While the real estate bubble was well underway housing was still relatively affordable and there was a real perception of things going well overall.

When the Coalition got control of the senate and pushed through WorkChoices there was a massive backlash because it was so easy to argue it was just taking things away from people and giving it to big business that was already doing well. The "Howard Battlers" were a real thing, and suddenly it became apparent that Howard wasn't actually on their side.

2020 is very different. There is going to be massive unemployment and underemployment. The government is going to say that changes are needed to get people back into jobs, sure the conditions may be a bit harder, but it's better than no job at all right? And Australians will eat it up.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

teacup posted:

This parliament is a freebie for the LNP, so why not try?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

2020 is very different. There is going to be massive unemployment and underemployment. The government is going to say that changes are needed to get people back into jobs, sure the conditions may be a bit harder, but it's better than no job at all right? And Australians will eat it up.

Yeah they'll just sell it as the one thing to bring back the good old days of everyone having a job, and anyone who gets in the way is a wrecker who wants to keep you unemployed.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
They'd probably get nailed to the wall for taking the extremely unpopular WorkChoices and railroading it in with a new label to exploit vulnerable people at the worst possible time if we had a competent opposition.

Shame we don't :(

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

The Neal! posted:

They'd probably get nailed to the wall for taking the extremely unpopular WorkChoices and railroading it in with a new label to exploit vulnerable people at the worst possible time if we had a competent opposition.

JobChoices

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Morrison government shelves union-busting legislation 'in good faith'

Wow, good faith, eh?

quote:

The government will shelve its union-busting Ensuring Integrity Bill as a sign of good faith ahead of a major, new effort to reform Australia's industrial relations system, Prime Minister Scott Morrison says.

Ahh, that's why.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Don't need union busting legislation if essentially the same thing is going to be hardwired into their IR reforms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Media will say it's an olive branch to the unions while we watch teachers, become uber contractor sole traders and flexi casual legislated into law.