Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Sweden is the USA of Scandinavia. Minus the wealth and power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Katt posted:

Sweden is the USA of Scandinavia. Minus the wealth and power

Does that make Finland into Scandi-Mexico

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So apparently the Øresundsbron bridge has a 6 km queue of Danes coming back to Denmark after a long weekend in Sweden. Rumor has it the cars are filled with Ullaredsbags.
Nice quarantine you got there.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rust Martialis posted:

Denmark is the Mexico of Scandinavia, with their fiery temperaments and daytime drinking.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Rust Martialis posted:

Finland is Puerto Rico.

Minus the sunny beaches, good food, beautiful people, pleasant language etc.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cardiac posted:

So apparently the Øresundsbron bridge has a 6 km queue of Danes coming back to Denmark after a long weekend in Sweden. Rumor has it the cars are filled with Ullaredsbags.
It's time we introduced a quarantine for Sjælland.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's time we introduced a quarantine for Sjælland.

Turn Fyn into a plague camp.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cardiac posted:

Put them on lindholm for mandatory quarantine.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Katt posted:

Finland is Puerto Rico.

Minus the sunny beaches, good food, beautiful people, pleasant language etc.

I don't know about the rest, but who considers Spanish pleasant? Must be one of the most grating languages to come out of Europe, and there is some pretty decent competition.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Rolling R's are cool.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
And get this, Spanish in Spain sounds different than Spanish in other Spanish speaking countries also really, of all the stereo instruction sounding languages in Northern Europe, Spanish is the bad one?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

big scary monsters posted:

I don't know about the rest, but who considers Spanish pleasant? Must be one of the most grating languages to come out of Europe, and there is some pretty decent competition.

What's wrong with you? Spanish is cool.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

teen witch posted:

And get this, Spanish in Spain sounds different than Spanish in other Spanish speaking countries

Yeah I know, unfortunately AFAIK it's a malformed whine in all its many forms. It's a shame the solid, dependable tones of Portuguese didn't catch on across more of the Iberian peninsula, what a world we could have had.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
You uh, you sure about that now.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

[...] the solid, dependable tones of Portuguese [...]
To me Portuguese is like Danish in that it's a handful of muffled, unidentifiable sounds. Brazilian Portuguese in particular. In contrast to Danish, however, it is mumbled rather than shouted...

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Spanish annoys me because of how inefficient it is. So many words to say so little. Very upsetting.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

F4rt5 posted:

To me Portuguese is like Danish
I know we're all getting a bit heated here but please let's not say things we can't take back.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Danish is legit just whiny German. Swedish has its issues and what in the hell even is Skånska but Danish I expect the speakers to start crying if a brown person looks at them the wrong way.

Romance languages are fun - I wish I still had my Spanish from grade school!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Over here we tend to call Sweden the USA of the nordic countries (Nordens USA).

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Sweden wishes*

*to hopefully avoid the egregious errors the US has made in its 200 some odd years of existence.

E: actual content

https://svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/har-ar-landerna-som-portar-sverige-pa-grund-av-covid-19

quote:

Mobboffer är ett starkt ord?

– Ja, men tyvärr har vi blivit lite persona non grata. Vi tycker att vi har haft en ganska bra strategi men den har retat upp väldigt många utanför Sverige.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 25, 2020

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Spanish is to me the worst sounding european language. Its very hard to seperate sounds. Guess its like Danish in that regard.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I have to go to Sweden soon, I hope they will let me out again.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Buller posted:

Spanish is to me the worst sounding european language. Its very hard to seperate sounds. Guess its like Danish in that regard.

Spanish is ridiculously easier to learn and speak than Danish, it has actual rules that are obeyed. Danish is horrible.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Rust Martialis posted:

Spanish is ridiculously easier to learn and speak than Danish, it has actual rules that are obeyed. Danish is horrible.

Plus when a future Danish government deports you for the crime of being foreign after having spent a few months in a tent camp. You'll be like "Yeah I speak English and Danish now so I got that going for me"

With English and Spanish the world is your molusk.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Katt posted:

With English and Spanish the world is your molusk.

You're not going to learn English in Spain. Unless you spend all of your time in Benidorm and such places, in which case you won't learn Spanish.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I thought Rust already knew English.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Katt posted:

Plus when a future Danish government deports you for the crime of being foreign after having spent a few months in a tent camp. You'll be like "Yeah I speak English and Danish now so I got that going for me"

Just think of all the opportunities you'd have waiting for you in, uh, Nuuk?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

According to the Foreign Service Institute, responsible for teaching American diplomats foreign languages, they're both in the 24 weeks to become proficient category. Clearly you're not as clever as an American if you had trouble with Danish. Alternatively, you're right, and Spanish takes like 8 weeks, which wouldn't surprise me, based on my own experiences in Spain. Only place I've ever really felt I'd just learn the language through osmosis if I stayed there long enough.

Just think of all the opportunities you'd have waiting for you in, uh, Nuuk?
You mean Trump City.

Katt posted:

I thought Rust already knew English.
Can you ever really know your mother tongue?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
I saw some old videos from before WW2 and the Danish spoken there was so much easier to understand. Its funny to think Denmark just started mumbling during the war and then never stopped.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

According to the Foreign Service Institute, responsible for teaching American diplomats foreign languages, they're both in the 24 weeks to become proficient category.

Maybe, but what scares off many people is having the potato implanted in their larynx.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

F4rt5 posted:

To me Portuguese is like Danish in that it's a handful of muffled, unidentifiable sounds. Brazilian Portuguese in particular. In contrast to Danish, however, it is mumbled rather than shouted...
100 % truth.

Nor has either language developed a proper written form.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Fader Movitz posted:

I saw some old videos from before WW2 and the Danish spoken there was so much easier to understand. Its funny to think Denmark just started mumbling during the war and then never stopped.

Perhaps it's some sort of pact. Where ye olden Danish was the language of stoic defiance in the face of fascism but after surrendering they had to abandon it until their honor is restored.

Sort of like how the Fins were banned from using Swedish after surrendering to the Russians. Not once (1714) not twice (1940) but three times (1944)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

What the gently caress is up with reporting around Sweden's corona fuckup? Every time I see an article on it in Norwegian newspapers it's always described as "Sweden has chosen a different strategy than its neighbors" and never really a statement that the Swedes seem to have hosed up big time. I kind of expect that from Sweden itself, where I just saw an article of some travel expert bemoaning the fact that Swedes will not be allowed to travel to Cyprus this summer saying that "I think we've had a pretty good strategy, but it seems to have worried some other countries" and Tegnell still seeming to reject any and all criticism (recently seeming to say that no one was proposing an alternative to Sweden's approach that if I got that right). It just kind of baffles me, especially that we seem so incredibly timid to declare it a failure here, in Norway and other countries, as well.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

waiting for the second wave, i think

also the oslo press are complete bitches and have an inexplicable but very total inferiority complex about everything swedish

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

waiting for the second wave, i think

also the oslo press are complete bitches and have an inexplicable but very total inferiority complex about everything swedish

Yeah, I don't think the Swedes are going to be immune to a second wave. It seems that their own investigations had found antibodies in signficantly fewer people than what they had hoped, like an order of magnitude less or more.

They hosed up.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Fader Movitz posted:

The easier time you have understanding WW2 Danish, the more Nazi you are, sorry.

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, I don't think the Swedes are going to be immune to a second wave. It seems that their own investigations had found antibodies in signficantly fewer people than what they had hoped, like an order of magnitude less or more.

They hosed up.
Yeah, like 7% in Stockholm, right? Just need to bump that up by a factor 11 before the first antibodies disappear for Stockholm to achieve herd immunity.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Randarkman posted:

They hosed up.

I think it's too early and too complicated to say that Sweden's strategy has been a 100% cock-up or a 100% success. Some things have failed badly (sucks to be an overweight 80+ man in a nursing home), some have been kind of vindicated I guess (like some research on that closing schools doesn't matter that much for slowing the virus).

If you don't look at nursing home deaths in the Stockholm area, the numbers are far less eyebrow-raising. And surprise surprise, Stockholm has been the region with the most aggressively privatized care, as well as a huge amount of semi-corruption between the politicians doing the privatization and their friends/colleagues who profited from it. And surprise surprise, the borgerliga in charge of Stockholm's healthcare are now doing interviews in borgerlig media, crying crocodile tears and clutching pearls that "this is not the time to point fingers and accuse people". So there's definitely a political angle to it, such as leaks about private nursing homes skirting on safetly regulations, threatening to fire employees who stay home because of signs of infection, threatening to fire employees who refused to work without PPE and so on.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

lilljonas posted:

I think it's too early and too complicated to say that Sweden's strategy has been a 100% cock-up or a 100% success. Some things have failed badly (sucks to be an overweight 80+ man in a nursing home), some have been kind of vindicated I guess (like some research on that closing schools doesn't matter that much for slowing the virus).

If so I think it's alright to make that mistake as part of an attempt to avoid literally thousands of deaths. Sweden's strategy has been a cock-up, their deaths per capita are now among the highest in the world, it is not indicative of having chosen a good strategy for dealing with the outbreak. Sweden's neighbors are now beginning to reopoen their societies and make decisions regarding what measures need to still be enforced and where, while Sweden is still seeing at least 20 deaths per day.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Randarkman posted:

If so I think it's alright to make that mistake as part of an attempt to avoid literally thousands of deaths. Sweden's strategy has been a cock-up, their deaths per capita are now among the highest in the world, it is not indicative of having chosen a good strategy for dealing with the outbreak. Sweden's neighbors are now beginning to reopoen their societies and make decisions regarding what measures need to still be enforced and where, while Sweden is still seeing at least 20 deaths per day.

I think it's a good idea to distinguish if it was the strategy or the execution that was a cockup. Also different parts of the strategy.

Obviously the idea to keep older people separate from the rest of society didn't work as planned. Was it the strategy that was bad? Hard to say, as other countries managed it. I'd lean more towards the execution of the idea being a gently caress-up (and as previously noted, maybe due to badly prepared nursing homes with lots of uneducated a.k.a cheap labour as staff).

Was not closing down all shops a bad strategy? I'm not sure. Again, if you look at who's duying, it's the elderly. We haven't had hospitalts overloaded etc. which was the main fear two months ago. Would the gently caress-ups with the nursing homes NOT have happened if McDonalds were closed? I don't know.

Living in Malmö, I'm also seeing TONS of Danes everywhere, mingling about celebrating the end of the quarantine. Filling restaurants, milling around in shopping malls etc. While Swedes have had a rather constant level of treating the virus with a bit too little respect. I do think there is a danger of going all in on quarantine, and then switching it right off because "you won the fight". Again, it's too early to tell. In the long run we might have more similar numbers than right now.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah the preoccupation with school closures is some weird stuff, camilla stoltenberg keeps harping on it in norway as well

crisis management is a political issue and needs to be done politically by politicians taking political considerations, the technocratic response was sweden and it's not looking great

in norway, the government didn't have a choice either - school closures were the way the municipalities forced the government's hand, it was what precipitated the lockdown in norway