Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
WTF the art is so bad.. this guy should sign up to work on art for mobile games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

May I have the mini-poster

Yes, but you're gonna have to have it with staples.

TW: Child Abuse
https://i.imgur.com/jmO9gBK[DOT]jpg

TW: Gore/Robocop
https://i.imgur.com/NpJ81BB[DOT]jpg

Stragedy
Mar 25, 2007

Strategic Tragedy
This artist is miles better, holy poo poo :monocle:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Remember, the issue immediately after this is a wacky race

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I always love wacky racing episodes.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

MOVING ALONG

Do you like Brazilian cultural references Johnny? If our resident BR goon wouldn't mind chiming in and explaining some of the stuff around this upcoming chapter I would be interested in getting some additional context. You're getting a double feature tonight because I'd prefer not to think about that whole previous chapter.

Look at X's head in the last panel.
I'm sorry.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 25, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I have no idea what they're going for with the expressions here. I've said before but even moreso than usual I'm getting real early 00s webcomic vibes from this issue in particular. Especially with the author clearly having gotten weird poorly understood fetishes from trashy anime.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Warbird
May 23, 2012

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

jesus h christ did they really have to do little tee-hee panty shots of the beaten/kidnapped kids? and have them naked in every panel after that? and have prison guards leering and calling them hotties? i knew anime was derelict as hell but this uncut brazilian poo poo kicks it up a notch

Barudak posted:

You all are about to be so unhappy when you get what you want

you're not wrong but it's still interesting to see wtf they were up to down there/back then and apparently wild shifts in tone between sexualized child body modification/murder and robo-race hijinks full of one-liners is part of that

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

Light Gun Man posted:

"this is a mega man comic huh"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Fun fact: this is the comic that inspired Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

You all are about to be so unhappy when you get what you want

lol for real

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh hey, Roll's back with somehow even less clothing. Great.

And with that I'd like to gently remind you all that this is not a webcomic but an actual thing that got printed out and and was bought in a store for money.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 26, 2020

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Me, many times during the translation process:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

so what's the rant for chapter 4 say?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So is there a plot anymore?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

You guys really need to feel the power of roll.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

owlhawk911 posted:

jesus h christ did they really have to do little tee-hee panty shots of the beaten/kidnapped kids? and have them naked in every panel after that? and have prison guards leering and calling them hotties? i knew anime was derelict as hell but this uncut brazilian poo poo kicks it up a notch

you're not wrong but it's still interesting to see wtf they were up to down there/back then and apparently wild shifts in tone between sexualized child body modification/murder and robo-race hijinks full of one-liners is part of that

Sigh. Anyways, here we go.

In the early 00s all the way back to... I don't know. As far as I'm aware, since forever, there was a strong culture of age gap here. Yes, I'm pretty sure you might be thinking "my Country was the same", but consider that one of most popular songs of 1996 is an R&B song about how a 24yo is in love with a 12yo, calling her a muse and so on. The song is called "Our dream" and plays it as romantically and unironically as possible.

Did I mention Mike Patton before? Oh. Yes. He has a song called Caralho Voador (flying dick) which is an en passant reference to an 80's movie about a father that pimps out his (underage) daughters.

There were dance clubs for young people called matinês here. Here's something that creeped the hell out of me when I was ~12: These places were teeming with 17yos because they were still legally able to do whatever with essentially no age restriction, and 18+ people called papa-anjos ("Angel Eaters") because of the legal age of consent being 14. This is the kind of poo poo I got constantly:

Angel Eater: Wanna do it?
Me: No.
Angel Eater: But... it's legal. - Followed by a confused face.

Also the samba school parade is essentially a long event of seeing nudity either on the TV or in the streets (the latter seems to have gone down lately). Including during hours where kids would be awake.

All of this is the account from the PoV of someone who felt uncomfortable with these things, and like I said, I'm prudish. For these things to be culturally accepted they had to be normalized to some extent, so other Brazilians will likely give you a different opinion or think it was not so bad.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Roll should have the power of washing machines now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Say what you want about the comic's generally horrific treatment of women, it beat Dragon Ball to having a female Super Saiyan by over a decade or two.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
and say what you will about Brazil’s sexualization of minors, “Angel Eater” sounds like a badass mecha anime

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bonaventure posted:

and say what you will about Brazil’s sexualization of minors, “Angel Eater” sounds like a badass mecha anime

So Evangelion, which is also about the sexualization of minors

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Is there some significance to the robot having the Star of David on his hat?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tunicate posted:

so what's the rant for chapter 4 say?

"Many people complain that this looks like poo poo compared to american comics. Well of course it does! We have like 5 people. Did you know there's like over 100 people working on each Wolverine issue? We may not be Battle Angel Alita but we are as good as those other latin american countries"

This is pretty much the entirety of it except he used way more words.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Stragedy posted:

This artist is miles better, holy poo poo :monocle:

Why can't they use that artist for the non-child-abuse chapters!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I couldn't resist, and just read the whole comic. I think the absolute lack of any sense of place might be the most infuriating aspect. Some of the issues having little to no backgrounds doesn't help.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EasilyConfused posted:

Is there some significance to the robot having the Star of David on his hat?

I assuming its a pyramids were built by jews "joke" but I choose to believe that robot goes to temple

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I swear that attempt at a drama side-story was just a rip-off of Ghost in the Shell and Battle Angel. With heavy handed social commentary from Brazil on top :suspense:

And what appears to be fanart of Roll with exposed big 'ol bolt-on titties published in the comic.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

So, the robots in this chapter are a reference to the Cangaço, a movement of armed outlaws that raided, murdered and raped across northeastern Brazil from late 18th century to early 20th century.

They dressed like this:

Cangaceiros are often portrayed in popular culture as heroes for the impoverished classes, fighting against the opression of the rich and powerful.

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 25, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So a Robin Hood sort of situation then?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Elentor posted:

"Many people complain that this looks like poo poo compared to american comics. Well of course it does! We have like 5 people. Did you know there's like over 100 people working on each Wolverine issue? We may not be Battle Angel Alita but we are as good as those other latin american countries"

This is pretty much the entirety of it except he used way more words.

That's also not true, 5 people is about the same as a team on a Marvel/DC issue.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Andrigaar posted:

I swear that attempt at a drama side-story was just a rip-off of Ghost in the Shell and Battle Angel. With heavy handed social commentary from Brazil on top :suspense:

And what appears to be fanart of Roll with exposed big 'ol bolt-on titties published in the comic.
Heck, they rip off Motorball with the race, too. And he namedrops Alita in his manifesto, so he can't really claim it's accidental.

Waffleman_ posted:

That's also not true, 5 people is about the same as a team on a Marvel/DC issue.
I suspect this guy may not know that much about comics.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Warbird posted:

So a Robin Hood sort of situation then?
Pancho Villa, but with flair.

Yea that's basically a perfect tee-up for the Capcom megaman artists of the NES days.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

For tonight's reading selection: Robot Communism, Yet another artist, and the return of the best character in the comic I've never actually read up to this point before, so I'm in the dark about where we go from here. I'm sure it won't be good.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012