Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

You don't need artisans on an island to have a pier on that island, for what that's worth.

Piers can also be really helpful for routing if an island has multiple shore areas. I'm having two ships route stuff through an island rather then having one taking a long trip around it. Though, for awhile it was being screwy and totally ignoring the closer pier. (Whereas I've seen routes auto-adjust in other circumstances.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Qubee posted:

So I'm slowly transitioning my main island to workers / artisans with a skeletal farmer workforce. I'm starting to get a large backlog of ships at my docks. What can I do to speed this up? I can't place down a second loading dock so I'm at a loss. I haven't yet upgraded to artisan as I want to iron out all the kinks with just the two tiers of pop I currently have, adding a 3rd into the mix will just get messy.

Do you have a large backlog of ships just for farmers/worker goods? Have you split up your population that much between islands at the lower tiers? That is going to have too much opportunity cost IMO; you want to have all your farmers/workers on one big island/the cape. You don't really have the shipping throughput to move poo poo like potatoes and schnapps around en masse.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Oxyclean posted:

You don't need artisans on an island to have a pier on that island, for what that's worth.

Piers can also be really helpful for routing if an island has multiple shore areas. I'm having two ships route stuff through an island rather then having one taking a long trip around it. Though, for awhile it was being screwy and totally ignoring the closer pier. (Whereas I've seen routes auto-adjust in other circumstances.)

Right but Piers need 250 artisans to unlock. OP said they hadn't unlocked artisans yet.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mazz posted:

Do you have a large backlog of ships just for farmers/worker goods? Have you split up your population that much between islands at the lower tiers? That is going to have too much opportunity cost IMO; you want to have all your farmers/workers on one big island/the cape. You don't really have the shipping throughput to move poo poo like potatoes and schnapps around en masse.

I've got three neighbouring islands, my main one is the only one capable of growing potatoes. To save on needing a huge farming workforce to produce schnapps, I just send all my potatoes to one of the other islands and they turn it into schnapps, which then gets spread across all islands. Same for fishing, I've slowly relegated fishing to one island that ships it to my main island (my 3rd island is low pop enough that I just let them fish themselves). Same for clothes, I whacked it on my schnapps island and they send the clothes all over.

Is this bad? I just hate juggling workers / farmers on my main island, cause then I end up never having enough of one to do what I need and increasing my pop causes an increase in required goods.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Qubee posted:

I've got three neighbouring islands, my main one is the only one capable of growing potatoes. To save on needing a huge farming workforce to produce schnapps, I just send all my potatoes to one of the other islands and they turn it into schnapps, which then gets spread across all islands. Same for fishing, I've slowly relegated fishing to one island that ships it to my main island (my 3rd island is low pop enough that I just let them fish themselves). Same for clothes, I whacked it on my schnapps island and they send the clothes all over.

Is this bad? I just hate juggling workers / farmers on my main island, cause then I end up never having enough of one to do what I need and increasing my pop causes an increase in required goods.

You're making things way too hard on yourself. Fish and work clothes should always be produced on site. You're doubling up on shipping by moving potatoes and then turning them into schnapps. Just do it on the main island and ship it out.

I think you're kind of overthinking the early tiers. You're using strategies that are fine, but not until you're at least up to artisan tier which is when demand starts to really increase. Before then you should not be having to worry at all about centralizing, if space is a concern already then your population is way too high for early tiers. Also artisans do not require farmer level goods, so as soon as you start pushing up to artisans you're not going to need all those fish and work clothes any more. All the work you're putting in to perfecting the ratios right now is going to be immediately irrelevant the moment you go to artisans.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Gadzuko posted:

Also artisans do not require farmer level goods, so as soon as you start pushing up to artisans you're not going to need all those fish and work clothes any more. All the work you're putting in to perfecting the ratios right now is going to be immediately irrelevant the moment you go to artisans.

I had no idea! Thanks for this, it was a slap in the face wake up call. I feel like a moron now for doing all this.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Qubee posted:

I had no idea! Thanks for this, it was a slap in the face wake up call. I feel like a moron now for doing all this.

i wouldn't, figuring out you made a mistake that handicapped you at the beginning of a 30 hour game, throwing the save away and restarting to THIS TIME get it perfect is most of the Anno experience

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How naive of me to think i'd be using one of my existing island's supply of Technicians to get gas from the glaciers. Dang this seems like it's gonna be a serious endeavor if I want to set up gas.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

How naive of me to think i'd be using one of my existing island's supply of Technicians to get gas from the glaciers. Dang this seems like it's gonna be a serious endeavor if I want to set up gas.

Oh hey this is the exact example I was about to post for why Qubee should not feel bad, because I just finally got around to doing the Arctic and said "uhhh what the gently caress" when I realized what I would have to do to get gas production going and opted to just restart instead.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Gadzuko posted:

Oh hey this is the exact example I was about to post for why Qubee should not feel bad, because I just finally got around to doing the Arctic and said "uhhh what the gently caress" when I realized what I would have to do to get gas production going and opted to just restart instead.

That's one of the things I think is cool about Anno. You don't mind restarting. Whereas in Satisfactory, Autonauts, or Factorio, you've invested so much in getting to your stuck point that the thought of restarting is overwhelming.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

And sometimes when you restart you can get lucky and get an awesome item. Like I got a lady that boosted every part of the soap production by 20% from Eli on my latest run. Lady's gonna pay herself off in no-time flat.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I recently got back into this and picked up all the DLC;s. I went to the new land for the treasure hunt thing, got the island and then said I'll come back to this later. Later one of the AI's went to war with me and took the island. I went and took it back but the quest are gone and I don't have any option to do any of the underwater poo poo, do I just have to restart?

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

BadLlama posted:

I recently got back into this and picked up all the DLC;s. I went to the new land for the treasure hunt thing, got the island and then said I'll come back to this later. Later one of the AI's went to war with me and took the island. I went and took it back but the quest are gone and I don't have any option to do any of the underwater poo poo, do I just have to restart?

Huh. You mean you settled the big landmass in the northwest quadrant of the Cape, then lost it in a war? Never heard of that, didn't know it was possible. You could always try and take it back I guess.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

I grew to really love the Arctic. The music is great, perfect for cruising around the glacier looking for expedition salvage. Gas really does turn out to be worth it in my experience. Not economically, as it's a massive drain. But no train tracks is really great, my next Crown Falls megacity might be gas only from the ground up if I can swing enough investors in the Old World to support a full Arctic build out.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mayveena posted:

That's one of the things I think is cool about Anno. You don't mind restarting. Whereas in Satisfactory, Autonauts, or Factorio, you've invested so much in getting to your stuck point that the thought of restarting is overwhelming.
Really? I'm feeling that way about Anno. I was around 40 hours in when things started to get a bit annoying and just kinda figured I'd be better trying to tough it out then starting over.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

physeter posted:

I grew to really love the Arctic. The music is great, perfect for cruising around the glacier looking for expedition salvage. Gas really does turn out to be worth it in my experience. Not economically, as it's a massive drain. But no train tracks is really great, my next Crown Falls megacity might be gas only from the ground up if I can swing enough investors in the Old World to support a full Arctic build out.

This was my plan last game before I realized how much work it actually was to get all that gas. I hadn't built the old world with that in mind and I was going to have to fight a war across all 4 sessions to get the islands I needed, so I noped out of that. But I do like the Arctic. It's unlike anything they have done before. I hope that feeling gets replicated somehow in the Africa session.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How on earth do you guys manage islands in other sessions, I can barely manage my three neighbouring islands in the starting session. I'm constantly jumping between the three fixing problems and always starting poo poo and never finishing.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Qubee posted:

How on earth do you guys manage islands in other sessions, I can barely manage my three neighbouring islands in the starting session. I'm constantly jumping between the three fixing problems and always starting poo poo and never finishing.

Just gotta focus on keeping everything as close to self sufficient as possible. Regularly check the production graphs to make sure you're not short on anything, and overproduce the stuff getting shipped around to other islands to avoid shortages. Pull that off and you can safely take your time to work on whatever you feel like at any given time and ignore the rest.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

physeter posted:

Huh. You mean you settled the big landmass in the northwest quadrant of the Cape, then lost it in a war? Never heard of that, didn't know it was possible. You could always try and take it back I guess.

I did and it didn't start anything back up.

I didn't think you could lose it either but yeah, you can.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Qubee posted:

Maybe I'm in the same boat as you.

Somebody earlier ITT mentioned playing without AI, comparing the game to a bonzai tree.
That is what has helped me enjoy this game so much more.

Because with AI players I was always stressed out by "alert spam" and some real or imagined time pressure.
Without AI players i can just take my time with fixing problems and finishing poo poo.

tl,dr: The issue might not be that you're jumping between fixing problems, starting poo poo and never finishing it. Maybe the issue is that you're experiencing this as a bad thing.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 27, 2020

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
They're releasing a History Edition of Anno games on June 25th

quote:

Hey Anno Community,

today we are very excited to share the announcement of the upcoming Anno History Collection with you all. With this collection, we are updating the first four Anno games (1602, 1503, 1701 and 1404) to take advantage of modern PCs, while keeping the classic gameplay we all know and love. Among the more notable improvements to all four games are:

All games being ported to 64-bit to improve performance and stability (say goodbye to Anno 1404 running out of memory)

Support for new resolutions all the way up to 4k, making your empires look better than ever before

Improved multiplayer, with all games now running through Uplay, with comfort features such as quickmatch and desync recovery (as seen in Anno 1800). And yes… ANNO 1503 MULTIPLAYER IS OFFICIALLY HERE!

Full save game compatibility (for both single- and multiplayer), so we hope you have held on to those beloved saves from years past

Of course, all games include their expansions, as well as any other official content that may have been released over the years

https://www.anno-union.com/en/announcing-the-anno-history-collection/

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Wipfmetz posted:

Maybe I'm in the same boat as you.

Somebody earlier ITT mentioned playing without AI, comparing the game to a bonzai tree.
That is what has helped me enjoy this game so much more.

Because with AI players I was always stressed out by "alert spam" and some real or imagined time pressure.
Without AI players i can just take my time with fixing problems and finishing poo poo.

Exactly this

In my campaign game i constantly had to deal with pirates or with the russian AI buying a share of an island and me having to buy it back.
Pirates are just a timesink that steals an enormous amount of attention away from you, it takes an inordinate amount of time to blow up their nest and once an hour they come back with a big fleet to rebuild it. This MUST be dealt with right away otherwise you will forget about it (at least i do!) and whammo they suddenly have their full base with cannons up again.
Top this with the fact that this fleet spawns without warning and sails through the whole map and is almost guaranteed to sink one or two of your transports on the way to the pirate island, forcing you to deal with that as well.
In my current game i have zero pirates and 3 easy AI (wasnt able to disable them) and it is so much more enjoyable to play.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ineptitude posted:

Exactly this

In my campaign game i constantly had to deal with pirates or with the russian AI buying a share of an island and me having to buy it back.
Pirates are just a timesink that steals an enormous amount of attention away from you, it takes an inordinate amount of time to blow up their nest and once an hour they come back with a big fleet to rebuild it. This MUST be dealt with right away otherwise you will forget about it (at least i do!) and whammo they suddenly have their full base with cannons up again.
Top this with the fact that this fleet spawns without warning and sails through the whole map and is almost guaranteed to sink one or two of your transports on the way to the pirate island, forcing you to deal with that as well.
In my current game i have zero pirates and 3 easy AI (wasnt able to disable them) and it is so much more enjoyable to play.

It takes a long-rear end time but if you keep buying cease fires and bribing them you can make peace with the pirates. Dunno about the New World one but the Old World pirate becomes one of your best trade partners as she wants all the beer at a crazy price.

And while you're at peace, the death fleets she spawns continues to harass the AIs. Yes the AI cheats and doesn't play by the same rules, but a semi-regular culling keeps them from amassing enough force to challenge the player so easily.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I found it to be cheaper to buy the ceasefires from the old world pirate, compared to maintaining a everpresent fleet of lineships.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

BadLlama posted:

I did and it didn't start anything back up.

I didn't think you could lose it either but yeah, you can.

Ok, when you conquer an island, everything on it should be destroyed except for the harbor building which becomes yours. Assuming the enemy took your Crown Falls, and then you took it back and now control the harbor building...nothing? No quests of any kind? You may have found a way to break the quest chain. If the harbor building itself is totally gone, maybe try ressettling the land. Also try clicking on the Queen's ship which should still be there.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Lol losing Crown Falls would make me cry.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can enemies only attack and land troops on shores that have a harbour / road connection? I don't know whether I should place cannons on my other shorelines that don't have harbours.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

No troops in 1800. It's just Ships vs Harbors.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I can confirm that the AI can take Crown Falls from you. I found out in a "Can I take Berl on in a war yet? :thunk:" experiment (I could not), but I didn't play through long enough to see her actually build anything on the cape.

Qubee posted:

Can enemies only attack and land troops on shores that have a harbour / road connection? I don't know whether I should place cannons on my other shorelines that don't have harbours.

Thankfully, there are no "troops" in this game. How taking an island by force works is just by dealing more than x damage to harbor buildings. If you have no harbor buildings there there's no reason to defend it (aside from covering trade routes), and even if you only have a few fisheries or something it won't be enough damage to trigger "Surrender the island" if the AI destroys them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Berl assaulted my crown falls, but only just took the shares rather then kicking me off the island.

Like a dumbass, I started to buy it back but never really fortified it, so she came and took it again like 10 hours or so later. (Which I kinda had coming since I had been slowly pushing her out of the Old World) I'm still kinda cheesed because I don't know where she got her fleet from.

Manyorcas posted:

I can confirm that the AI can take Crown Falls from you. I found out in a "Can I take Berl on in a war yet? :thunk:" experiment (I could not), but I didn't play through long enough to see her actually build anything on the cape.

Thankfully, there are no "troops" in this game. How taking an island by force works is just by dealing more than x damage to harbor buildings. If you have no harbor buildings there there's no reason to defend it (aside from covering trade routes), and even if you only have a few fisheries or something it won't be enough damage to trigger "Surrender the island" if the AI destroys them.
I don't think that's the case, unless you mean the AI booting you off the island entirely. Berl has taken full shares in my islands a few times from assaults because I had nothing more then a harbor.

I think the way it works is the more harbor buildings you have, the more that need to be destroyed to surrender the island. Berl's main island has like 3 different shore areas each with 4 canons. Taking out the main one with the harbor wasn't enough to take the island.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Ole' Wibbley would never pull such horse poo poo.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hearing that the AI cheats really disheartens me. It's not fun at all to fight an AI that can just magically pull resources out of their gaping rear end in a top hat. If I'm decimating their trade fleets and they aren't responding to defend against it, it's kinda stupid that they're able to function normally. Same with spitting out large fleets in an instant. It just takes away so much reward and fun when you fight against them.

So that's made me not want to instigate wars any time soon.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Jumping on the no-AI bandwagon! I started such a game last week and it has been so relaxing and enjoyable to not worry about needing to claim territory.

I unlocked the New World and sent the free Clipper to the island I want to settle as my consumer goods commissary for the session, but immediately went off to do other stuff without worry that some digital rear end in a top hat would settle it out from under me.

When it comes time to expand into the Arctic, I can settle as many small Old World islands as I want to keep those remote logistics separate from Trelawney remote logistics. I can also finally take the time to set up visually-appealing villages for any needed labor population, as well as grow into the full Arctic build-out mentioned above, to drag every scrap of exploitable gas out of those glaciers.

I don’t have to slam down minimum-thought bullshit on the Cape, for that matter, and I can even eventually relocate everything but mines, brickworks, and coastal stuff away from it in a quest to cover the maximum possible surface in Artisan and up housing.

Still have the pirates and the not-Haitians as well as the trader-only NPCs, for expanded flavor. As with real-world organized pirate entities, paying them off to build relations is cheaper in the long run than either wiping them out and aggressively policing against a resurgence or constantly running escorts, and turns downright profitable over a long enough time horizon.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I will leave in the AI on in my games but turn it down to the 3 easiest, so I can do things like buyout shares and get quests from them. The easy ones don’t do annoying poo poo like assault your harbors much or super aggressively settle, and if they do you can manhandle them back pretty easy.

I get the AI does realistically does have to cheat to handle the complexities of the logistics, but the harder ones just do it in the most annoying way possible. There’s really zero reason to play with the rear end in a top hat ones once you’ve gotten a grip on things. It’s just unnecccesary hardship in a game where you absolutely have enough else to worry about.

That being said, taking out all AI does remove some interesting stuff, like share buyout and the money-making / free expansion rewards that come from that.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 27, 2020

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

It always great to destroy an AI shooner and they drop 6 cargo items.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Belligerent AIs are such a nuisance the "best" solution is really to just rush ships of the line and destroy them all in early artisan days. Once you know how to do this it's trivially easy, but of course the end result is exactly the same as just having no AIs at all, so unless you're just going for the hard campaign win there's no real reason to bring hard AIs.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do you tell what level an AI is? I just added them based on whether I liked how they looked or not.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Their text has a Difficulty descriptor: Normal, Advanced, or Expert. (easy, medium, hard)

Bente Jorgenson, Princess Qing, and Willie Wibblesock are easy,
Artur Gasparov, Beryl O'Mara, George Smith, Carl von Malching, and I think the DLC Mercier guy are medium,
Admiral Silva, Alonso Graves, and Lady Margaret Hunt are hard.

Not all AIs of the same difficulty play the same, but broadly speaking the harder they are the worse they cheat and the more likely they are to backstab you or frontstab you.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The stars under their portrait are the difficulty symbol as well. 1 star is easy, 2 stars is medium and 3 stars is hard.

Mzbundifund posted:

Admiral Silva, Alonso Graves, and Lady Margaret Hunt are hard.

Not all AIs of the same difficulty play the same, but broadly speaking the harder they are the worse they cheat and the more likely they are to backstab you or frontstab you.

Yep, Alonso and Lady aren't as aggressive as Silva, but will hate you for basically every action you take so getting friendly relations with them is a bitch, and they'll cheat like crazy for the most part. Silva will absolutely prioritize building a Navy and loving everyone else up with it. If you're going to play with any of the hard AI it's best to play with all of them, since they seem to gently caress with each other as much as you at least.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Qubee posted:

How do you tell what level an AI is? I just added them based on whether I liked how they looked or not.

the number of stars. Tier 1 AI are extremely passive and compliant. You want Jorgensen, Wibbley and Qing really for a relaxed game with AIs.