Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

BA will generously allow you to donate them to the NHS.

e: I can't be bothered searching for 131, so have a cat instead.

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
https://twitter.com/samholdertv/status/1264529136741240834
lol

e: wait this was yesterday apparently.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
enjoying* all the blue-tick melts on Twitter talking about how loving terrible Johnson as if they had absolutely nothing to do with him getting in in the first place

*this is an obvious lie

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

ronya posted:

Academia has an inherent tendency to contrarianism but even so there is definitely a reaction against what one might call the Blackadder understanding of WW1, e.g. Dan Todman's The Great War: Myth and Memory

Todman also gives a short and readable essay here: http://ww1centenary.oucs.ox.ac.uk/war-as-revolution/the-first-world-war-in-history/

One has reached the point where one's first-year reading list on WW1 is likely to contain many texts intended to talk undergraduates out of the reductive narrative (with the corresponding effect that many undergraduates will then leave with "Actually :smug: ..." seared into their own understandings of WW1. It goes to and fro).

There's starting to now be an overdue reaction against what I think of as Sheffieldisation (after Gary Sheffield, the leading revisionist). This is the process by which people start by finding out interesting things like no, men didn't literally live in a trench for years at a time like Blackadder did, or how a lot of attacks and battles in the war led to some kind of limited success without being the war-changing triumphs their planners were hoping for, and the picture of Melchett and Darling peering at an 18-square-foot one-to-one scale map of the last offensive's gains isn't supposed to be literally accurate. They then react to having these somewhat lazy assumptions challenged by throwing out the baby along with the bathwater, and in jig time they're making serious straight-faced arguments about the need to defend the British Empire, champion of freedom and liberty (never mind that 40% of British men don't have the vote, and they invented concentration camps for Boers) against the villainous Prussian-militarist designs of the perfidious Hun and his small sausage factory outside Tanganyika (conveniently forgetting his universal male suffrage, Bismarckian welfare measures, and Herero genocide).

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jose posted:

he 100% has no friends or anything else going on which is why he's always on the bbc

Standard reminder that when running for NUS president, Tom Harwood made more apperances in national media than percent votes received.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

josh04 posted:

Standard reminder that when running for NUS president, Tom Harwood made more apperances in national media than percent votes received.

so running the numbers on the normal turnout of student elections, this would mean his appearances in national media were at least 10 times more than his number of individual votes

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

xtothez posted:

Just need them to last long enough to cash in the avios points I got from work flights over the last few years :ohdear:

Or just... go where you're going without flying, or not at all?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

communism bitch posted:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1264837379652714496
This reads like satire but the link leads to an entirely unsatirical advertisement for a private sanitised jet and car service to take parasites to their private yachts without exposure to the infectious poor.

Incredible :stare:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

jesus y'all weren't kidding about flaps

https://twitter.com/psflaps/status/1264918201827237896

mask all the way off

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really feel like a lot of it is unresolved gay panic.

Like some people just really cannot fit transpeople into their sexuality so they just go absolutely bugfuck insane.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I'm going to see Pissflaps and Linehan on Newsnight this year aren't I

OwlFancier posted:

I really feel like a lot of it is unresolved gay panic.

Like some people just really cannot fit transpeople into their sexuality so they just go absolutely bugfuck insane.

I was talking about it yesterday as it happens. The "trans women are just men who want to use women's changing rooms to peep at boobs and fannies!!!!!!" warps my brain in the same way as the old "gay men are paedophiles" poo poo in that it seems to be quite widespread but I don't understand how people arrive at that idea

crispix fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 25, 2020

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Guavanaut posted:

The broadcast will psychically compel all subjects to build a 'cum beacon'.

Someone send this to private eye.

I already sent them one of Cummings and they didn't print it.... Or at least not in any of the issues I bought anyway.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Can't believe Pissflaps was forced to become a bigot by the intolerant left, if only we'd taken the time to properly debate him.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

crispix posted:

I'm going to see Pissflaps and Linehan on Newsnight this year aren't I

Well, Linehan's already been on so yeah probably

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Trin Tragula posted:

There's starting to now be an overdue reaction against what I think of as Sheffieldisation (after Gary Sheffield, the leading revisionist). This is the process by which people start by finding out interesting things like no, men didn't literally live in a trench for years at a time like Blackadder did, or how a lot of attacks and battles in the war led to some kind of limited success without being the war-changing triumphs their planners were hoping for, and the picture of Melchett and Darling peering at an 18-square-foot one-to-one scale map of the last offensive's gains isn't supposed to be literally accurate. They then react to having these somewhat lazy assumptions challenged by throwing out the baby along with the bathwater, and in jig time they're making serious straight-faced arguments about the need to defend the British Empire, champion of freedom and liberty (never mind that 40% of British men don't have the vote, and they invented concentration camps for Boers) against the villainous Prussian-militarist designs of the perfidious Hun and his small sausage factory outside Tanganyika (conveniently forgetting his universal male suffrage, Bismarckian welfare measures, and Herero genocide).

Do you see such a reaction in professional readings or do you mean that in a pedagogical sense?

(If we start pointing fingers at fields whose undergraduates leave with a half-baked "just enough to be dangerous" knowledge of their chosen field of study, we'll be here all day really...)

My sense of the tide is that most folks are not on the "actually it was a glorious British triumph" train but instead focus almost indulgently on how alien the cultural outlook was and how different its values were

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Dabir posted:

gross stuff

Please don't flapspost in the thread. We finally got rid of him and I don't care about his twitter bile.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

DC didn't go Durham just the once, right? Didn't he go back and forth a load?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

DC didn't go Durham just the once, right? Didn't he go back and forth a load?

It'll probably turn out he's been up there every weekend at this rate.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So the only even vaguely sane thing that could come out of this dog and pony show will be him saying "Yeah I lied to the PM and I'll be resigning, it's all my fault", right? So what do we think he will actually do? I'm going to guess that he will say the words "Brexit" and "media elite" or variations considerably more than "Durham", with a side-bet on him going full "You won't have old Dominic Cummings to kick around any more".

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

ronya posted:

Do you see such a reaction in professional readings or do you mean that in a pedagogical sense?

(If we start pointing fingers at fields whose undergraduates leave with a half-baked "just enough to be dangerous" knowledge of their chosen field of study, we'll be here all day really...)

My sense of the tide is that most folks are not on the "actually it was a glorious British triumph" train but instead focus almost indulgently on how alien the cultural outlook was and how different its values were

Yeah, most of them really. Contrary to pressures to start fast-track two year degrees, if we really wanted people to know something by the time they left, we'd have five year courses instead.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So the only even vaguely sane thing that could come out of this dog and pony show will be him saying "Yeah I lied to the PM and I'll be resigning, it's all my fault", right? So what do we think he will actually do? I'm going to guess that he will say the words "Brexit" and "media elite" or variations considerably more than "Durham", with a side-bet on him going full "You won't have old Dominic Cummings to kick around any more".

Personally I'm hoping for a "You haven't seen the last of me!" maybe with a bit of "You'll rue the day!" thrown in for bants.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Exciting scenes from the garden of 10 Downing Street. Due to the lateness I'm guessing nothing at all will be announced, the classic Theresa May move in 4D chess where you spend at least ten minutes making GBS threads and panicking in a nearby toilet before not actually saying anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mSyZGy8LX8

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Please don't flapspost in the thread. We finally got rid of him and I don't care about his twitter bile.
Dr Sy Delta Parker must have the patience of a saint, they've been spending hours responding to clowns chiming in with "but biological reality" and "'cis' isn't real" and I know

ronya posted:

but if you claim to have studied biology and have never come across cis as the opposite of trans then you should ask for a refund, and I wouldn't have the patience to say any more than that.

e: They also retweeted this:
https://twitter.com/LED5991/status/1264900906950287360

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 25, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/LadPolitics/status/1264897745590071297

and I was joking about betting on what buzzwords he'd use, of course someone would open an actual market.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

15 minutes late and nothings happened.

Someone, somewhere is getting a massive, massive panicky bollocking.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Personally I'm hoping for a "You haven't seen the last of me!" maybe with a bit of "You'll rue the day!" thrown in for bants.

If he didn't always dress like a divorced dad taking his kids to McDonalds on a Saturday afternoon and expanded his wardrobe to include formalwear and possibly a cape, he's got the right face and build to pull this off.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

15 minutes late & all the journos are nicely distracted, he's halfway to Venezuela by now

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm hoping that his inviting the journalists in-person to ask questions is so he can call them all hypocrites for leaving their houses.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

and I was joking about betting on what buzzwords he'd use, of course someone would open an actual market.

bold to assume he'll even be able to understand the concept of regret

also where the gently caress is he did he have to come down from Durham again

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cis and trans don't exist, which is why julius caesar got lost a lot.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I wonder what excuse CUMmings will come up with that at all justifies him doing a press release haha.
It's big brain 8th dimensional chess time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

15 minutes late and nothings happened.

Someone, somewhere is getting a massive, massive panicky bollocking.

I'd assume he's frantically rereading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality to make sure he's got the extended quotes right for his speech.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Borrovan posted:

15 minutes late & all the journos are nicely distracted, he's halfway to Durham by now

Fixed

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

conveniently forgetting his universal male suffrage, Bismarckian welfare measures, and Herero genocide).

Uhh one of these things is not like the others :stonk: I assume you aren't listing that as a good thing?!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'd assume he's frantically rereading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality to make sure he's got the extended quotes right for his speech.

My money's on Maps of Meaning tbh

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I suppose there's not much else to bet on atm

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Maybe he just wants to start it at 4:20

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm betting he'll just apologise, admit he did wrong for (important reasons) and put on a fake humble persona then hope things naturally move on.

Edit: sprinkle in some lesson learning, failing forward stuff and he'll try and win round people rather than antagonising them.

I'm hoping for a live meltdown to a pestering question though.

Kin fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 25, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Kin posted:

I'm betting he'll just apologise, admit he did wrong for (important reasons) and put on a fake humble persona then hope things naturally move on.

He's not going to apologise. If he does it'll be a total non-apology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Maybe he just wants to start it at 4:20

or just after 4:20, to properly get into a mindset where the things he did seem to make sense