Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Not seeing breakfast tacos in Texas is like when expats move to Bangkok and post on expat forums asking where they can get noodles.

It completely boggles the mind.

That said, burritos are just oversized tacos and mission burritos, which come from the Mission District in San Francisco, are oversized tacos larded up with rice and beans. It's overkill on something simple.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
I haven't tried Taco Cabana I'm pretty sure, I assumed they were just a regional chain like Del Taco to be honest.

And like I said, immediately around me is mostly Halal (the Gyro King truck and M&M Grill are pretty sweet). We're here because my girlfriend is doing her fellowship at Baylor so most of the people we know are doctors who are either also not from here or think the gentrified stuff like Velvet Taco is the pinnacle of tacodom. Houston is a big place, I don't know where the real tacos are at :shrug:.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Oh, North Texas, right. Even there, though, they have breakfast tacos. I ate at a local place between Waco and Killeen a year or so back on a trip that had them.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Nah, sorry, I meant Baylor Medical. So like right in the middle of Houston. It took a while for me to realize that Baylor Medical is not the same thing as Baylor.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Forseti posted:

Nah, sorry, I meant Baylor Medical. So like right in the middle of Houston. It took a while for me to realize that Baylor Medical is not the same thing as Baylor.
In that case, GO OUTSIDE AND MOVE IN ANY DIRECTION, heh.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011
I had a burger at a place called Someburger in the Heights in Houston. I was just really amused by the complete half-assedness of the name. Just some burger, take it or leave it, and gently caress you. Thats my Texas food story, thanks for listening.

Having worked as a cook, I can confirm that it pays like crap for the hellish heat and hard work involved, unless you make it to head chef. Margins in that business are crazy tight too, so setting up your own food truck is basically inviting disaster if there's an economic downturn. I don't know if that's expectations or the fact that it's so easy to set up a restaurant or truck and cut a bunch of costs (e.g. hygiene) that mean you can undercut until the law catches up with you years later. That pushes the margins down for actual legitimate places that don't want to poison you. Plus there's always idiots willing to push their life savings into their "dream" despite not having any training in a highly skilled profession.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I have known a lot of restaurant owners, some of them successful, and the margins are massive, the problem is the overhead is also really high. In other words like in manufacturing you might be lucky to have a 15 or 20% margin, but if you're doing it right in a restaurant your margin should be literally hundreds of percentage point. Not in a food truck, not at a budget outlet, but at a restaurant.

The issue is if you don't hit then, basically like you described, you're ekeing by constantly forever.

Also, if you don't serve alcohol you are immediately handicapping yourself.

In terms of the actual labor, I think what a lot of people don't appreciate about restaurants is they are the original factories. Raw materials come in, finished goods leave. However, unlike factories, they are constantly changing the process on the fly - and they are expected to provide customer service in addition to manufacturing the end product. It's every bit as grueling as a factory job, and I have also been in the number of factories, where I would not want to work.

Food and beverage is one of those things that looks cool from the outside because it's fun when you're the customer, but, while it can be fun from the inside and certain types of people do actually enjoy it and thrive in it, it is much tougher than it looks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Itll be interesting to see what the restaurant scene looks like when all this over. I'd imagine a lot of them fold including good trucks sold to pay rent/cover the mortgage.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

L0cke17 posted:

Really? I've tried them a few time since there's one right by work and it's all super bland unless you just absolutely cover it in salsas. I was not a huge fan.

I like their smoked beef and steak a ton, and their chips are pretty top notch too.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Disnesquick posted:

I had a burger at a place called Someburger in the Heights in Houston. I was just really amused by the complete half-assedness of the name. Just some burger, take it or leave it, and gently caress you. Thats my Texas food story, thanks for listening.

It's like a much sadder sounding Whataburger.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
There's a Someburger in Baytown too. Possibly owned by the same people.

I hear it's alright but I've never been.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

I have known a lot of restaurant owners, some of them successful, and the margins are massive, the problem is the overhead is also really high. In other words like in manufacturing you might be lucky to have a 15 or 20% margin, but if you're doing it right in a restaurant your margin should be literally hundreds of percentage point. Not in a food truck, not at a budget outlet, but at a restaurant.

Interesting. I guess there's a stratum of the industry I don't know in that equation because I haven't heard of margins like that. As you mention, alcohol is probably the key. If you're the kind of place that's selling hundred buck bottles of wine, then the markup on those is 3-4 times over purchase so that's likely the difference right there.

The big chunk that doesn't get accounted for in most new-starters figuring is wastage, which I assume is an even bigger issue for high-end joints. If no-one orders scallops then that's today's fresh market scallops in the trash. That's also why you see a cycle of decay when a place goes under. If you are struggling then fridging leftovers and reheating tomorrow is an attractive-seeming fix that's ultimately going to push away even more customers.

Marxalot posted:

There's a Someburger in Baytown too...
I hear it's alright...

That's basically the whole vibe I got from the name.

Active Quasar fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 25, 2020

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Freebirds is good fight me.

Also for the Med Center homie, go to the taco truck at West Alabama Ice House, tacos tierra caliente.

For breakfast tacos - go to Villa Arcos, Laredo on Cavalcade, or Chilosos (they got expensive tho).

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I'd rather go to Freebird than Chipotle. I don't know anyone in this state would want to go to Chipotle.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

chipotle is better than freebirds no I will not be replying to inquiries

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Contrary to most experiences, a bad freebirds burrito kept me on the toilet for a day whereas chipotle has done nothing but try to pass off a gritty abomination as queso.

SA folks hit me with your taco spots. I like a place up on the north side called tacos and salsa. They have good tacos and salsa.

Velvet taco is overpriced and overhyped thank you for coming to my ted talk

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

SA folks hit me with your taco spots. I like a place up on the north side called tacos and salsa. They have good tacos and salsa.

Yeah that place is pretty good. Los Balitos Taco Shop at 281 and Bitters is decent. Taqueria Datapoint (on Medical, just east of the Med Center) used to be real good, but when I drove past a few months back it looked like they were closed due to fire, don't know if they're coming back or not.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

i say swears online posted:

They're both extremely mediocre.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Contrary to most experiences, a bad freebirds burrito kept me on the toilet for a day whereas chipotle has done nothing but try to pass off a gritty abomination as queso.

I haven't been in almost 20 years but Taco Taco Cafe was always a favorite. The chilaquiles tacos for breakfast were my personal fave.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ohhh I have to see if cafe brazil has opened again. I miss their breakfast.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I like OMG Tacos, good variety of traditional street tacos and fancy ones. Good guac too.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Give Taco Palenque a shot if you are a lover of chips and salsa and also their tacos are pretty good. Get a Matamoros.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Velvet taco is fine but i'd rather go to Torchy's. Most legit taco place near me is La India Bonita in League City, little family-run place, cash only, has the best charro beans I've ever had.

Tacos agogo in midtown is pretty good, and Tacos El Bigote in Sugarland is great, get a Mexican coke, some pastor tacos, and watch Mexican soccer on the TV.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Torchy's queso is phenomenal, the correct way to Torchy is to have queso and drinks. Tacos are OK and optional.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I will always say there absolutely no reason to get some corporation tacos where you can taste the soap they use to clean the machine theyre manufactured in when you can go to the various taco stands around town and get served excellent barbacoa from a guy missing a thumb.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i say swears online posted:

while i'm normally encouraged to keep most of my probations to USPOL,

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
My neighborhood taco truck always has lengua on the menu but never has it in stock when I try to get it, which is every time I go. I think he does it just to mess with me.

At least the barbacoa and chicharrone is always in stock.

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!

Sab0921 posted:

Also for the Med Center homie, go to the taco truck at West Alabama Ice House, tacos tierra caliente.

I'll add to this, the barbacoa and lengua tacos in particular there are dope, and you should try those.

Taconazo on the near northside is also really good for trompo and fajita tacos.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If taco trucks freak you out or if you just want a bigger menu, 100% Taquito at Buffalo and 59 is p good. It is Mexico City street food done as a restaurant. I like their quesadilla al pastor on corn with pineapple and cilantro with a horchata.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What kinds of food do they argue about in the Indiana politics thread

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Casseroles

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

What kinds of food do they argue about in the Indiana politics thread

Bud or miller

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Coney dogs, probably. Those are much worse than Freebirds burritos for keeping you on the shitter all day.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Mayonnaise and ranch probably.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I don't know why anyone would want Chipotle OR Freebirds when Super Burrito exists*.

*applies in Austin only

Plek fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 26, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hihohe posted:

I will always say there absolutely no reason to get some corporation tacos where you can taste the soap they use to clean the machine theyre manufactured in

That's cilantro.

I kinda miss when UNT had a double-decker bus that sold fish and chips and got replaced by a Banh-Mi sandwich truck. Partially because I had a card that was just one punch away from a free meal.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's cilantro.

I kinda miss when UNT had a double-decker bus that sold fish and chips and got replaced by a Banh-Mi sandwich truck. Partially because I had a card that was just one punch away from a free meal.

You raise a good point for that Medical Center dude. You can get tacos literally anywhere, but midtown has some good Vietnamese places and you can't get good Viet just anywhere.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Oh yeah we get pho and bahn-mis fairly often. Good stuff, but again you guys are going to want to crucify me because I wish the banh-mis had kimchi on them. Can't complain about the price though!

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Forseti posted:

I haven't tried Taco Cabana I'm pretty sure, I assumed they were just a regional chain like Del Taco to be honest.

And like I said, immediately around me is mostly Halal (the Gyro King truck and M&M Grill are pretty sweet). We're here because my girlfriend is doing her fellowship at Baylor so most of the people we know are doctors who are either also not from here or think the gentrified stuff like Velvet Taco is the pinnacle of tacodom. Houston is a big place, I don't know where the real tacos are at :shrug:.

Brothers Taco House in Eado is pretty dang good, and dont limit yourself to "breakfast" tacos, get the good poo poo that doesnt have any eggs with it. Hell, most gas stations with a little taco/torta griddle in it are going to have good breakfast tacos (and always get the salsa that goes with the breakfast tacos, half the flavor is from that spicy poo poo). Tacos Laredo is like chain restaurant tacos of the gas station world, but their fajita meat and carne guisada are super tender and good. Pretty much any greasy, run down mexican food place is going to have better food than places like Freebirds or velvet taco (not that I don't enjoy a freebirds burrito every now and then). Mexico's Deli out off of Dairy Ashford and Westheimer is one of those places that should have been shut down for egregious health code violations years ago, but they have drat good tortas and the cochinita pibil tacos in achiote sauce burn so good.

For chain stuff, Rudy's actually has pretty good "breakfast" tacos (just get a taco with their barbeque in it and add some salsa), and the rhino or hippo taco/burrito at buc-ees is surprisingly good (it's a bunch of cheese and breakfast foods - including tater tots - crammed into a tortilla, just make sure to get an extra thing or two of their green salsa to have with it).

Forseti posted:

Oh yeah we get pho and bahn-mis fairly often. Good stuff, but again you guys are going to want to crucify me because I wish the banh-mis had kimchi on them. Can't complain about the price though!
Food authenticity/purity is bullshit, Houston is a huge melting pot of foods and culture, mix that poo poo up and see what works. Kimchi on a bahn mi sounds awesome. If you like asian stuff, make sure to go out to Chinatown some time. San Dong noodle house has the best dumpling soup with cabbage and there is a French-Vietnamese bakery in the same strip center which has some of the best croissants in all of houston. Get an almond croissant and iced vietnamese coffee for dessert. Bring cash.

zeroprime fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Vietnamese cooking has been all about fusion for centuries. Before they fused in the French tradition they were trading cooking traditions constantly with the Chinese and other neighbor states. They would be the first ones to suggest adding kimchi and their willingness to always experiment gave us VietCajun crawfish, which is absolutely incredible and waaaay better than any crawfish you'll get in Louisiana.