Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it was posted up the page but this

Maguoob posted:

All you need is one bucket, water duplication is pretty easy. Make a U shaped platform out of 5 blocks and hammer down one of the side blocks so that it is half size. When you place water above the half block it will flow to the side into the U shape and down the other side (what you want to fill up). You can instantly pick up the water after placing it down and just repeat until the desired amount of water has been produced. You can also use hammered half blocks in the path of where the water flows to have it duplicate on the way down as well.

This also works for honey and lava, but it slower; especially for honey, because you need to wait for it to flow a little before picking back up.

you can also just make a L shape of three blocks and rapidly click the bucket in the L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Your sharpening station or equivalent for your weapon

Your mount, if riding one would help you maneuver

I haven't found any sharpening stones this run :(

Which is fine coz I'm trying to stick to magic, normally I only use magic for things like Destroyer assuming I don't have a stormbow/good piercing ammo, but this time I'm doing it to the end.

Good point though, I may as well chuck a witching table and crystal orb out there to click.

vvv I think it counts as the same Cozy buff yeah.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 25, 2020

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

VodeAndreas posted:

I'm making a new arena and trying to think of the new buffs for it,

Campfire
Heart Lantern
Star Lantern
Sunflower
Bast Statue
Garden Gnome (+luck?)

Is that about it for placeable buff items or am I missing anything important?

I know you can power heart/star statues but too lazy for that, and also can't be bothered with honey buff (I've done bubbles and honey for Expert Moon Lord before but this is more of a fixed arena)
Silly question. Is the seemingly identical buff from a fireplace actually worse than a Campfire? Because if not, then you could put the Gnome and bast statue on top of the fireplace :buddy: At the very least it would look slightly more "Combat decorating" than "Dump buff items anywhere they fit" I can't think of any tangible benefit.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Huh, just had a thought. They've nerfed most cheese tactics out but not some. Wonder if they remembered to nerf the cheese tactic of standing in weak mob statues (jellyfish, slimes, crabs), tossing in a timer or bouncing on a pressure plate, and absorbing damage while the Star Veil or Cross Necklace give you extended iFrames so that you last longer when farming or fighting bosses.

For that matter, do they even know about the extreme cheese tactic of using The Horseman's Blade on those weak mobs you're spawning in? There's almost no higher form of damage in the game depending on your setup, and it kills everything offscreen so you can just go pick up drops later.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Verviticus posted:

you can also just make a L shape of three blocks and rapidly click the bucket in the L

I see. Oh well, I ended up just repeatedly teleporting between the ocean and my lake with ten buckets.

Gonna encase the entire artificial snow island in a glass sphere when I muster the willpower to.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

SirSamVimes posted:

I see. Oh well, I ended up just repeatedly teleporting between the ocean and my lake with ten buckets.

Gonna encase the entire artificial snow island in a glass sphere when I muster the willpower to.

If you don't mind battling with Angler RNG, there's a new post-hardmode reward that's just an infinite water bucket.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BisbyWorl posted:

If you don't mind battling with Angler RNG, there's a new post-hardmode reward that's just an infinite water bucket.

I wanted to get this lake done now because I did not actually have a surface tundra lake in my world so having a chance for impossible dailies was annoying me.

Also it looks cool.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

SirSamVimes posted:

question: did the water physics update break all the duplication means? do I need to find an actual lake to hook up to my artificial snow sky lake?

Maguoob posted:

All you need is one bucket, water duplication is pretty easy. Make a U shaped platform out of 5 blocks and hammer down one of the side blocks so that it is half size. When you place water above the half block it will flow to the side into the U shape and down the other side (what you want to fill up). You can instantly pick up the water after placing it down and just repeat until the desired amount of water has been produced. You can also use hammered half blocks in the path of where the water flows to have it duplicate on the way down as well.

This also works for honey and lava, but it slower; especially for honey, because you need to wait for it to flow a little before picking back up.

Verviticus posted:

You don't need to hammer anything for liquid duplication. You also don't need to rapidly click.

For water, this is what I do. Just have a single water bucket in your inventory, put the cursor like this, and hold the mouse button down.

Lava requires a bit of a delay or fishing the infinite lava bucket (pre-hardmode, direct from lava). Honey.. honey is ridiculously slow. Does anyone have a reliable pump-based method of duplicating honey?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Fish up hellcrates, get wet bombs. Turn the wet bombs to dry bombs and fill the dry bombs with liquids; bam, easy lake of lava/honey/water.

I haven't even used the infinite buckets since 1.4

Woden
May 6, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Rehashing a major derail several pages ago, but no, it's not. Corruption only overtakes the surface jungle at worst; it cannot spread effectively in the underground jungle. No one has ever had their underground jungle get replaced by corruption no matter how long they let it spread unchecked. There is no screenshot of this happening, among the huge playerbase. The mechanics of spreading are nerfed. You don't have to worry about your jungle, and the other biomes aren't hurt by it anyway.

I have a corruption above a jungle and when I went to hardcore I got, and continue to have almost no underground corruption.

For surface stuff I'll just clentaminate it later if it bothers me.

VodeAndreas posted:

I'm making a new arena and trying to think of the new buffs for it,

Campfire
Heart Lantern
Star Lantern
Sunflower
Bast Statue
Garden Gnome (+luck?)

Is that about it for placeable buff items or am I missing anything important?

I know you can power heart/star statues but too lazy for that, and also can't be bothered with honey buff (I've done bubbles and honey for Expert Moon Lord before but this is more of a fixed arena)

Water/Peace candle?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Fish up hellcrates, get wet bombs. Turn the wet bombs to dry bombs and fill the dry bombs with liquids; bam, easy lake of lava/honey/water.

I haven't even used the infinite buckets since 1.4

What the gently caress. I hadn't even checked that crafting chain yet. ... 33 blocks of honey from a single honey bomb, with no material costs except the initial wet bomb. .... alright, this is legit. hello infinite honey. I'd gotten 64 wet bombs so far so that's at least 2000 tiles of honey... jfc

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Lava requires a bit of a delay or fishing the infinite lava bucket (pre-hardmode, direct from lava). Honey.. honey is ridiculously slow. Does anyone have a reliable pump-based method of duplicating honey?

Sorry for the crap picture.

3 pumps set up in the little box as In Out In, connect the Out and one In to a 1/4 second timer to cycle fluid, connect the other In to an Out in your Vat and use a 1 sec timer. Apply your bucket to the T-section in the blue wire. If it's your first bucket of honey, let it cycle into the system, then just hold right click with your bucket. Works with lava too, and also water with a little fiddling.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
This started as a desire to protect the western ocean from corruption's vile influence, and morphed into something bigger.

Now to do the same for the other two corruption areas in the jungle.

This snapshot feature is pretty cool.

edit: for best viewing, r-click, open in new tab and zoom in

edit2: have some more

First house, gradually morphing upwards. So many chests.. organization is really nice.

Snow

Desert

Jungle

Ocean

Queen Bee arena

Some cavern thing I haven't decided how to complete yet

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 25, 2020

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Took the zenith out for a spin around the halloween event. Used three health potions the whole night. It really is an awesome "sword"

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

exhibit a: a relatively late game boss that's designed to not be super hard to dodge but hits like a truck

exhibit b: an early hardmode trash mob

i really don't understand some of the hardmode balance decisions when it comes to enemy damage

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The way armor in Terraria works, it reduces damage by half/three-quarters/all of your defense value for every hit you take, depending on your difficulty mode. It's a flat reduction, so enemy damage needs to go up in a linear way to keep up with it. If hardmode enemies didn't do almost as much damage as boss enemies do, they wouldn't be able to harm you at all. If bosses did much more damage than standard enemies do, they would splatter you on contact.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah i know how armor works, but when attacks that are telegraphed and slow from the 6th or 7th hardmode boss is only a little bit stronger than an enemy you encounter in masses, and have a way harder attack to avoid, immediately upon entering hardmode it just feels completely out of whack. like bosses feel more or less the same as they did in expert just a bit more punishing when you make a mistake, but invasions and just general trash mobs feel extremely difficult even with shroomite gear

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
They hit really hard, but everything dies quickly enough that I usually don't think it matters much. The problem with bosses for me tends to be damaging them fast enough to stay alive while my healing is on cooldown. Regular enemies don't come after you in the same way, so you can more easily just take care of the immediate and then hunker down a little. It's not just about the numbers.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

watho posted:

other biomes are definitely hurt by it, desert and snow biomes are highly susceptible to spread which will make your towns inhabitable

Snow biomes are a real bitch to maintain now since according to the wiki they require 1500 blocks rather than the usual 300. My surface snow area got pretty much wiped out upon entering hardmode even though there were very few crimson blocks anywhere nearby. Even after getting the clentaminator and going crazy with it there are still a few patches there where it shifts to crimson.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Almost finished with a run of 1.3 with thorium mod. It's really fun! The pre hardmode stuff is perfection. The beholder boss and sets are awesome too. Unfortunately post plantera the game sort of implodes.

-Abyssion is a very poorly designed fight
-Magic users have even more tools to become death stars
-Bard and thrower are bad
-healer is functionally immortal

Using fallen paladin armor, silk scarf, the golem regen trinket and a few other defense and regen boosts you can achieve like 60 hp/s with 120 defense and 50% damage reduction. We beat moon lord in a trio with me standing perfectly still the whole fight.

Abyssion also drops a trinket that makes you immobile and immortal but do no damage. For the above setup with less work get +aggro and use that.

Apparently for 1.4 they're redesigning the mod entirely so I cant wait for that. Some of the designs and gear fits seamlessly into the world.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
In the past 5 ingame days, despite not having the sextant yet, the Angler has given me 3 duplicate fishing lines and 2 earrings (I have all other accessories, and made the Tackle Bag as soon as I could.) Made a bug report since this seems grossly wrong.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

So, there was that discussion a while back about how hallow won't affect things like desert pylons, but does the same hold true for fishing? Since my hallow sorta...

And I'm not sure if I'm just having bad luck doing the Angler's daily or if the oasis counts solely as fishing in hallow.

And while there's another oasis on the other side of the map, that desert got nailed by corruption.

I might just have to make a new lake in the bit of desert by the dungeon.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm thinking of jumping back into terraria after the update, but I kind of really don't want to spend the first 5 hours building a helevator to get down to the gold to get some halfway decent defenses.

What are some of the early progression path(s) that make not dying possible?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gobblecoque posted:

Snow biomes are a real bitch to maintain now since according to the wiki they require 1500 blocks rather than the usual 300. My surface snow area got pretty much wiped out upon entering hardmode even though there were very few crimson blocks anywhere nearby. Even after getting the clentaminator and going crazy with it there are still a few patches there where it shifts to crimson.

:psyduck:

Considering one of my initial excuses for journey mode was "I really like Boreal Wood furnishings and blocks but hate dealing with getting more of it, okay?" If this is actually true then my zero regrets starting over in Journey mode has hit negative value.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Section Z posted:

:psyduck:

Considering one of my initial excuses for journey mode was "I really like Boreal Wood furnishings and blocks but hate dealing with getting more of it, okay?" If this is actually true then my zero regrets starting over in Journey mode has hit negative value.
You get boreal wood by planting acorns on snow, you don't need to actually be in a Snow Biome.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Ambaire posted:

In the past 5 ingame days, despite not having the sextant yet, the Angler has given me 3 duplicate fishing lines and 2 earrings (I have all other accessories, and made the Tackle Bag as soon as I could.) Made a bug report since this seems grossly wrong.

isn’t that expected behavior? the game stops you from getting duplicates until you’ve gotten the full set, right?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

watho posted:

isn’t that expected behavior? the game stops you from getting duplicates until you’ve gotten the full set, right?

Only for the info gadgets. Everything else is totally random, which could potentially be you getting the same compass rose twenty times in a row. Randomness doesn't have to be fair or even.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Only for the info gadgets. Everything else is totally random, which could potentially be you getting the same compass rose twenty times in a row. Randomness doesn't have to be fair or even.

either way it’s still expected behavior

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

watho posted:

either way it’s still expected behavior

I had thought that 'no duplicate accessories' applied to ALL accessories that the angler could give... seems a bit pointless otherwise.

also the way you said that is a bit holier than thou

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 25, 2020

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Ambaire posted:

I had thought that 'no duplicate accessories' applied to ALL accessories that the angler could give... seems a bit pointless otherwise.

also the way you said that is a bit holier than thou

Have you ever seen an actual fisherman's tackle box? My father's had a zillion frickin flys and lures. The kid thinks he's doing you a favor.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I am going to lose my mind farming the terragrim on a journey character.

There's this one seed I've been farming enchanted sword stones, two next to each other in a small world. I haven't been keeping track, but this is a bit much.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ambaire posted:

Now to do the same for the other two corruption areas in the jungle.

And done, ~5 hours later, with breaks for farming the Eternia event for the Dark Mage's Tome mount (Master exclusive drop) and completing the Cell Phone.

That second one was an adventure.

Now to hell to work on an underworld rail line and farm mobs for stuff.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Just went to my snow biome for the first time in hardmode and it seems the corruption "V" pattern completly consumed it. Besides having to put the NPCs who like snow in another biome, will I have to worry about anything else like eventually losing snow biome enemies? I still see wolves and ice elementals, but I'm not sure if they'll go away.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For being one of the hardest 'bosses' to actually get to appear, its pretty stupid that Dreadnautilus doesn't even have guaranteed drops.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dreamsicle posted:

drat just went to my snow biome for the first time in hardmode and it seems the corruption "V" pattern completly consumed it. Besides having to put the NPCs who like snow in another biome, will I have to worry about anything else like eventually losing snow biome enemies? I still see wolves and ice elementals, but I'm not sure if they'll go away.

no, since unlike surface jungle crimson/whatever turning desert or snow biomes results in "crimson/whatever snow" instead of turning it into regular-rear end dirt; crimson/whatevering those biomes just overlays new spawns into them but the old stuff remains

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
random question: if I somehow managed to wall off the entire world (no background walls that aren't player placed and no gaps), that would stop all mobs from spawning except for invasions and bosses, correct?

There's infinite glass(sand) from antlions / sand guns with ammo buffs, infinite stone from gem trees, infinite obsidian from infinite water+lava.. it's doable, but would it be worth it. (100 hours later of just placing walls)...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any way to despawn a pirate/goblin invasion without clearing it? I'm just trying to do some building in my coop world, and don't wanna clear an invasion without my sister present.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ambaire posted:

random question: if I somehow managed to wall off the entire world (no background walls that aren't player placed and no gaps), that would stop all mobs from spawning except for invasions and bosses, correct?

There's infinite glass(sand) from antlions / sand guns with ammo buffs, infinite stone from gem trees, infinite obsidian from infinite water+lava.. it's doable, but would it be worth it. (100 hours later of just placing walls)...

Don't forget infinite wood from growing trees.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zereth posted:

Don't forget infinite wood from growing trees.

Well yeah, but if I were to embark on such an insane endeavour, I would want to use 'biome appropriate walls'. Dirt/stone derivatives in underground, stone for caverns, obsidian/glass/etc for underworld, glass for above ground. I only use wood walls for housing. Now, if I were to make a 'house' that covered the entire above ground area... haha

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any way to despawn a pirate/goblin invasion without clearing it? I'm just trying to do some building in my coop world, and don't wanna clear an invasion without my sister present.

Gotta kill them all. The goblins will only appear if you're near world spawn or npcs, so you can build away from those areas and not be interrupted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
to everyone who's using the 05162020 seed, are you also having trouble finding adamantium/titanium? I've been digging around like a maniac with spelunker potions active and only found enough to make a titanium forge and an adamantium pick

smash more altars? I guess since you have to smash six altars to get all the ores to spawn I'll need to smash 12 to get the same amount you'd normally get from 6?