Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im just drinking Sam Adams this weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I put the following beers in the fridge yesterday:
2019 Revolution Straight Jacket
2018 East End Barrel Aged Gratitude
2019 Veil Willett Circle of Wolves

Gonna get shitfaced on BA barleywine today.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Got a Vat 109 and a Sucaba cooling down. Tomorrow will be the intense day, had an offer for muling Colorado beer and I'm picking up half a case of Bierstadt :cheerdoge:

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
It’s a Timbo Pils weekend. Also looking forward to my incoming Suarez shipment to round out my last week of corona vacation before going back to work.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think the only places that are doing it are angry chair, 7venth sun, and I think maybe hidden springs? Maybe coppertail?

Im debating putting in an online order at angry chair and taking up a pickup time spot just to order six crowlers of their pilsner

Barriehaus does it too. Dropped by there today to pick up my order (Buy two get one free this weekend on crowlers), and was surprised that their inside tap room was open. No bar service, you sit at a table and scan a QR code on your phone, then order and pay via phone, and they bring you the beer. Their IPA was solid, and their radler makes almost a perfect summer beer. Tables are well over 6ft apart as well. Also hit up Green Bench after fruitlessly trying to find parking at any of the St Pete area beaches for about 60 minutes. They've got outdoor seating open only, also spaced out, but even in shade with fans on, the heat was brutal. Was getting pretty crowded by the time we left around 1:30 though.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

funkybottoms posted:

catching up:

also, we did what was hopefully our last bottling run yesterday.

I’ve been meaning to ask you how you guys have been handling this poo poo show. I heard things are starting to open up for outdoor seating, i’m still iffy on that, but I move across the street from Hardywood next week.

A friend of mine is head brewer at Liability in Greenville, SC. The plague hit them hard with restaurants closing and not being able to sell beer very effectively. They had to dump a ton of beer due to the decrease in sales.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

trauma llama posted:

I’ve been meaning to ask you how you guys have been handling this poo poo show. I heard things are starting to open up for outdoor seating, i’m still iffy on that, but I move across the street from Hardywood next week.

A friend of mine is head brewer at Liability in Greenville, SC. The plague hit them hard with restaurants closing and not being able to sell beer very effectively. They had to dump a ton of beer due to the decrease in sales.

We picked up liability not too long ago. They make some good stuff. Mortal wombat is great.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Captain Duvel posted:

We picked up liability not too long ago. They make some good stuff. Mortal wombat is great.

Mortal Wombat is pretty rad, and I’m a fan of “i support pun control.” CJ is a super cool dude, and every one that brewery seems to be a good person.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Drank IPAs all day.
By the 3rd or 4th hazy-boy they all started to taste the same.

Then Aslin's Baby Shark came along and stood out for some reason. I wasn't huge on it the first go round but after a day of crushing 8%ers, sipping a 5.5% beer was pretty nice.

Now I'm working on this guy and it's incredibly refreshing.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I’m still kind of bummed I left Richmond just a couple months or so before Tabol opened. Everything they’ve put out has sounded great. Triple Crossing’s lager obsession seemed to happen right before I moved, too. Those more unusual Czech styles they’ve done looked beautiful.

Basically the only truly great brewery in Atlanta is Halfway Crooks, who I’ve mentioned here before. The new restaurant I bartend at is across the street from them and — as if they needed to for us to like them, they’re great people — they give us low-fill cans by the case. Every time I buy beer to go from them they give me a four-pack of unlabeled low-fills. I kind of feel like they need to recalibrate their canning line or something, but when people give me free beer I don’t ask questions. It’s become such a way of life for us that shirts now exist. I’m on there, too. Low Fill Life is an easy way to be.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
So one of the upsides (downsides) of telling family members to pick up for you and telling them, "Surprise me. You know what I like." Is that you get stouts and coffee related beers.

Belching Beaver Buenos Timpos Mexican Lager

Mikkeller San Diego Awful Gato Imperial Brown Ale with vanilla & coffee

Clown Shoes Coconut Sombrero Mexican-style
Chocolate Stout with Coconut

Brouwerij West After People Humble Sea Milk Stout

The Bruery White Chocolate Ale Aged in Bourbon Barrels with Cacao Nibs and Vanilla Beans

Big Sky Brewing CO Ivan the Terrible Imperial Stout

And good ol Second Chance Tabula Rasa Porter

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 24, 2020

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Bierstadt's lagers are crazy good, p much the pinnacle outside of Europe and definitely on the level of Live Oak, ABGB, or Suarez. Been way too long since I've visited Denver and I'm heavily considering a trip just for hanging out at Bierstadt's taproom.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

prayer group posted:

I’m still kind of bummed I left Richmond just a couple months or so before Tabol opened. Everything they’ve put out has sounded great. Triple Crossing’s lager obsession seemed to happen right before I moved, too. Those more unusual Czech styles they’ve done looked beautiful.

Basically the only truly great brewery in Atlanta is Halfway Crooks, who I’ve mentioned here before. The new restaurant I bartend at is across the street from them and — as if they needed to for us to like them, they’re great people — they give us low-fill cans by the case. Every time I buy beer to go from them they give me a four-pack of unlabeled low-fills. I kind of feel like they need to recalibrate their canning line or something, but when people give me free beer I don’t ask questions. It’s become such a way of life for us that shirts now exist. I’m on there, too. Low Fill Life is an easy way to be.

Bibliotheca was not great but not terrible. The rest have been good so far, especially Sezono and Souls Urchin.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Friday night's bottle shop reunion zoom led to full day hangover on Saturday. I'm renovating my son's old bedroom, which has been a half-assed guest/game/eBay storage room since he moved out, into my office/gaming space since we're unlikely to have guests and I'll be working from home for the foreseeable future. My hungover rear end yesterday forgot to move something see through into the fridge to keep me company while I watch my wife paint. So I was big disappointed when I opened my beer drawer to find I needed to fill it, but it was mostly higher ABV when I still have plenty of work to do. I had an Elbow Bump from Ex Novo, brewed at their location in Corrales, NM. It's good, but I'm mad I'm not drinking that Chill Helles Lager from Baerlic.

prayer group posted:

Basically the only truly great brewery in Atlanta is Halfway Crooks...

I am having a hard time believing any of this, besides that's you on that rad shirt. I've just always been told ain't no such thing as halfway crooks.

This reminded me how much I miss the homie running the Craft line in Portland instead of Denver, he always had interesting lowfills to share. I make due with the copious amounts of weed concentrates that comes my way thanks to one of my wife's friends.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
In other interesting Atlanta beer news, Modern Hops Distributing just started up like a year ago and they are bringing just absolute nonsense into this town. Old Nation, The Brewing Projekt, Carton, Toppling Goliath, Pipeworks, and most recently Bissell Brothers. Buying a four-pack of The Substance for like $16 in Atlanta is such a surreal experience.

Speaking of pricing, yesterday I also picked up a four-pack of The Brewing Projekt Smoofee with blackberry, guava and pineapple, just to see what the current state of affairs w/r/t lactose fruit smoothie sours is these days. It's pretty good but not tart enough. Anyway I only paid $16 for it, and it turns out it sold for $18 at the brewery when it was released. How does this happen? How does a beer get transported from Wisconsin to Georgia and somehow get two dollars cheaper in the process?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

prayer group posted:

Speaking of pricing, yesterday I also picked up a four-pack of The Brewing Projekt Smoofee with blackberry, guava and pineapple, just to see what the current state of affairs w/r/t lactose fruit smoothie sours is these days. It's pretty good but not tart enough. Anyway I only paid $16 for it, and it turns out it sold for $18 at the brewery when it was released. How does this happen? How does a beer get transported from Wisconsin to Georgia and somehow get two dollars cheaper in the process?

This isn't uncommon. Breweries can't sell direct at the same price as they sell to distributors, so they sell at a price near what they expect liquor stores to. And breweries, especially with taprooms/brewpubs, often sell at a markup to go. It's completely normal for me to see a four pack of Straight Jacket or a sixer of Eugene cheaper at Binnys that at Rev.

I've decided BCBW is loving awesome but only with a few years on it. The 2017 I drank tonight was pretty great. Not 2013 level but a great balance of fruitiness and caramel. Not overly sweet. Still some bitterness. Nice beer.

highme
May 25, 2001

Just discovered Brewery Projekt under quarantine thanks to Uptown. I've only had a couple so far. Their orange creamsicle milkshake IPA, Resist, was pretty good. For some reason milkshake IPAs usually end up with a burning sensation at the back of my throat after the first half or so is gone. Not sure exactly what causes it, but my guess is something with the lactose. This wasn't as bad as some, but I noticed it at the end.

Their Superfuzz imperial sour was amazing. My entire mouth was confused by what was happening with flavor and mouth feel, but I regret only getting 4.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

highme posted:

Just discovered Brewery Projekt under quarantine thanks to Uptown. I've only had a couple so far. Their orange creamsicle milkshake IPA, Resist, was pretty good. For some reason milkshake IPAs usually end up with a burning sensation at the back of my throat after the first half or so is gone. Not sure exactly what causes it, but my guess is something with the lactose. This wasn't as bad as some, but I noticed it at the end.

Their Superfuzz imperial sour was amazing. My entire mouth was confused by what was happening with flavor and mouth feel, but I regret only getting 4.

:thunk:

Ok, explain to me what an "Imperial sour" is. Forgive my ignorance, i really hate sours and the like so i dont keep up. Am I assuming its a high abv sour?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

highme posted:

I took some of their Cowabunga camping last week, it was pretty dope.

Brought some of these too

highme
May 25, 2001

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

:thunk:

Ok, explain to me what an "Imperial sour" is. Forgive my ignorance, i really hate sours and the like so i dont keep up. Am I assuming its a high abv sour?

AFAIK, yeah just above 8% ABV. I'm sure there are some intricacies I'm not aware of, but tbh I'm the laziest beer need there is.

dphi posted:

Brought some of these too

Oh? Hi! What's going on here? I'll be honest Logsdon hasn't been as good since Chuck and Charlie left, but nostalgia and a lack of solid farmhouse options since Commons went under would have me grabbing it.

You familiar with Little Beast?

Also, got to the point of the night when I was just operating a paintbrush and poured a can of the Opaque Thoughts. 3/4s in I understand where the name comes from. If you like juice bomb milkshake IPAs this is as good as I've had.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Did some Social Distance beer trading for BBQ today.

Worked out pretty good for me.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Same. Seems about what id expect it to be.

You got some names to go along with these?

Yup, sorry.
All 4 were from Ocelot Brewing Company.
Big Cat - the black can with the smile on it.
Ebenezer - the dude with the icicle on his nose
Mini Corazon - The red-ish can
Waiting for the Sun - the tan can with a striated looking gradient orange circle

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 25, 2020

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

highme posted:

AFAIK, yeah just above 8% ABV. I'm sure there are some intricacies I'm not aware of, but tbh I'm the laziest beer need there is

Same. Seems about what id expect it to be.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Did some Social Distance beer trading for BBQ today.

Worked out pretty good for me.

You got some names to go along with these?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

So one of the upsides (downsides) of telling family members to pick up for you and telling them, "Surprise me. You know what I like." Is that you get stouts and coffee related beers.

Clown Shoes Coconut Sombrero Mexican-style
Chocolate Stout with Coconut

Clown Shoes is great!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

highme posted:

Oh? Hi! What's going on here? I'll be honest Logsdon hasn't been as good since Chuck and Charlie left, but nostalgia and a lack of solid farmhouse options since Commons went under would have me grabbing it.

You familiar with Little Beast?

This is their take on The Commons Urban Farmhouse, not sure if they got the recipe or what but it's pretty close to what I remember. I haven't bought a ton of stuff from Logsdon since they changed hands a few times (did you know they're in Washington now?) but should probably revisit.

And yeah, I'm in the Little Beast bottle club. Really enjoying their stuff and the beer garden is a nice spot during more normal times.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Quite pleased with what's in the fridge right now. I haven't had a good dunkel in many years, the last one I recall having balancing out big malt and that banana/clove yeast flavor was the Lips Of Faith dunkelweiss from 2011/2012.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

air- posted:

Quite pleased with what's in the fridge right now. I haven't had a good dunkel in many years, the last one I recall having balancing out big malt and that banana/clove yeast flavor was the Lips Of Faith dunkelweiss from 2011/2012.

that's a Munich dunkel, not a dunkelweiss, which is for the better. we had a really good Munich dunkel that sold more quickly than any of our other lagers, but the owner didn't want to make it again, so we brewed an altbier that, while delicious, didn't sell for poo poo (the side-pour faucet didn't help, ugh). lesson learned- we're brewing the dunkel next time!

prayer group posted:

hey, they even got your tongue sticking out!

if they're getting mad low-fills on every run across styles, yeah, some adjustments need to be made, but if it's just hazy types then you can blame hop particulate in the filler lines causing foaming issues; we might get five or six cans with pils and six or seven cases on some particularly bad X runs. that sucks, of course, but trading low-fills for ZZQ is a fat silver lining.

as for Tabol, it took them far longer than anyone in the industry expected to drop their original plan of aging every single beer- clean or funky- in barrels and get some stainless tanks. not surprisingly, their output has increased, although they're using a single-can tabletop filler, which has to be loving brutal.

also, lol if you rotate the google street view for Halfway Crooks

our bottle labels are bad but this is terrible. it looks like a mimeographed elementary school newspaper from the 80s

highme
May 25, 2001

highme fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 25, 2020

highme
May 25, 2001

Not sure how related they are, but the :420: department has much better branding.

gently caress attaching pics on mobile

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
legal over at nintendo is doing some birdman hands over that logo

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm down to about 50% of my stockpile. I managed to keep a pair of everything (like Noah's ark).

There's a lot of really good stuff that is gone completely though because I couldn't resist. I have but only so much self control.

I miss living in Norfolk and DC so much when I see pics like this :cry:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

the yellow dart posted:

I miss living in Norfolk and DC so much when I see pics like this :cry:

does it... hurt to type that?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I would rather live in VA than FL

air-
Sep 24, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

that's a Munich dunkel, not a dunkelweiss, which is for the better. we had a really good Munich dunkel that sold more quickly than any of our other lagers, but the owner didn't want to make it again, so we brewed an altbier that, while delicious, didn't sell for poo poo (the side-pour faucet didn't help, ugh). lesson learned- we're brewing the dunkel next time!

So the flavor profile was something I was curious about - most of the US made dunkel beers I've tried hardly had that banana/clove thing going on and the flavor skewed closer to an English mild, but I honestly I know very little about the style.

Anyway yeah ISO that dunkel too. I believe Altstadt in Fredericksburg TX now cans their alt and I should send that your way too

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

So the flavor profile was something I was curious about - most of the US made dunkel beers I've tried hardly had that banana/clove thing going on and the flavor skewed closer to an English mild, but I honestly I know very little about the style.

Anyway yeah ISO that dunkel too. I believe Altstadt in Fredericksburg TX now cans their alt and I should send that your way too

i could see equating dunkels with milds, yeah- it's the malt-forward crusher that plays yin to the crisper, hoppier pilsner/pale ale yang (or something). also, it's a true lager, whereas a dunkelweiss is basically dark hefe. it doesn't help that German beer styles are mad regional and "dunkel" simply means "dark," so depending on where you are that order could get you a bunch of different beers.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I would rather live in VA than FL

sure, but i grew up in Norfolk and lol

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

funkybottoms posted:

our bottle labels are bad but this is terrible. it looks like a mimeographed elementary school newspaper from the 80s

i like it. reminds me of a zine or artwork for a black metal cassette demo

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
Made a trip up to Fox Farm on Saturday. I wish they weren't out in the middle of nowhere, because along with Counterweight, they are my favorite brewery in the state of Connecticut. They make some fantastic hazy IPAs, but also great lagers and darker beers. Really curious to try their new English mild, especially the nitro version.

Currently enjoying some of their Kolsch, which is going down real easy today.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

funkybottoms posted:

does it... hurt to type that?

Well I currently live in Alabama, so no.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

the yellow dart posted:

Well I currently live in Alabama, so no.

ha, i actually meant to add "unless you're in the deep south"

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

i like it. reminds me of a zine or artwork for a black metal cassette demo

that could totally be a D&D zine

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Blasted this excellent tape last night (not my pic) while having an online hangout with some friends.

I also had my first Two Hearted-fueled grilling session last night as well. The classics are that way for good reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Nth Doctor posted:

Blasted this excellent tape last night (not my pic) while having an online hangout with some friends.

I also had my first Two Hearted-fueled grilling session last night as well. The classics are that way for good reasons.

Bless Lagunitas and their insistence on bombers.