Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Venomous posted:

If they do, the Tories will just come right back with 'fake news' and 'don't trust the media' and all that poo poo, and they will get away with it until they either destroy public confidence in the media or are forced to censor the media for our own good

if the tories do destroy trust in media, then that will hurt them because they’re friends with Murdoch and the dumbest possible option for PM will happen.

that’s why I’m betting on Galloway or Another kook becoming PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PawParole posted:

the dumbest possible option for PM will happen.
Ah I remember the December thread.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

don’t come asking me for 100 million quid from my winnings to buy a black market loaf after Galloway forces everyone to live on cat food or get sent to the Isle of Wright gulags.

PawParole fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 25, 2020

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
This comment about Cummings was posted on the Financial Times website but it belongs to the UKMT in spirit and I think you all deserve to read it in full:

nigel's forage posted:

I am so sick and tired of the press treating this gormless little nerd as some sort of Machiavellian schemer. The archetype of a keyboard warrior who spends all his time telling his little circle of forum boys how clever they all are on an obscure right wing blog will be familiar to any of us who have ever had the misfortune of accidentally landing on an alt right reddit thread. The obvious giveaway that this is the case should come from the fact that Cummings hired a literal race eugenicist on the basis that he frequently complimented his sophomoric blog posts. Who knew that “assorted weirdos” actually just meant a bunch of posh Oxbridge humanities twits who really liked your 8000 word psychoanalysis of Otto von Bismarck’s dress sense.

This clown is little more than a glorified press relations spin doctor who happens to know a few lobby journalists moderately well. By not pointing this out more directly, broadcast hacks like Laura Kuenssberg and Robert Peston have let this shill buy his own bulls*** and shape this undeserved reputation as some kind of political rebel outsider who is fighting “the system” and has gone rogue.

I cannot be the only one who is insanely irritated by the incongruence of this guy's attitude/ image of himself and the actually existing reality of his job. He acts like he is some kind of silicone valley techbro libertarian punk rocker who has a total contempt for the humanities and the civil service. While in reality he has an oxbridge history degree, a wife who writes for the spectator, and has been working in politics as an unelected bureaucrat for his entire life. As aesthetically “unconventional” as our little Einstein thinks he is, he moves in exactly the same incestuous and unmeritocratic social circles as basically any toryboy mover and shaker ever has.

You can walk around all day talking about "coding" and how you would like to be a "disruption innovato-preneur" and it will probably convince the type of gormless dimwit who nowadays becomes a tory mp, but anybody who has spent more than 5 minutes in any professional services job will recognise this as the pretentious pseudobabbling of a technically useless marketing strategy consultant. Dress like a slightly-past-his-peak, middle-aged wannabe shoreditch creative type if you insist, but then do not act like it is subversive when you come out of 10 downing street looking like a dishevelled peacock. The fact that he can get away with this when Jeremy Corbyn could not should surely be some kind of indicator that nobody really sees this cheap hack as a remotely serious threat to any kind of established power structures.

Dominic Cummings is not some kind of uniquely sui generis personality, much as he would like to think otherwise. It is pretty clear that he is just the final form of the overly indulged British upperclass eccentric that has throughout the ages been gently coddled into thinking that he is a galaxybrained genius by a fawning gaggle of parliamentary courtiers. All this after having spent a career failing upwards (if anybody doubts his credentials, just look at the dogs breakfast the charlatan made out of his stint at the department of education). Meanwhile totally convinced of his own success since there is no feedback to either the stupidity of his actions or the consequences of his incompetence. Truly the idiot’s idea of what a smart person looks like.

This kind of "renaissance man" who knows nothing about everything has long been prized for holding their own in a tutorial meeting by the chipping norton set, but the dimwit's only actual area of expertise seems to be superfluously connecting everything that has happened in the 20th century back to Otto Van Bismarck somehow. Only now that the British Empire is no longer a cultural hegemon, the usual package of functionally useless cultural signifiers comes with a weird atlanticist twist where everything is distorted through the libertarian prism of MBA-style airport books. For sure, the one thing that the Tory party has been missing until now is a disruptor who thinks that we should run government “more like a business” and is absolutely certain that he is up to the task because he once read Jack Welches autobiography.

With this ridiculous furore about some middling useless advisor doing something wrong, it feels like the UK press have just entirely missed the point; who cares if this dork gets sacked? As if that could possibly have any significant long term effect on anything, either positive or negative. All that this navel-gazing obsession with personalities tells us is that the entire country has lost its mind and is projecting a decade of lost status and institutional failings onto a real life proponent of the “great man theory of history”. He is just a keyboard warrior who spent too much time talking to Michael Gove, not bloody napoleon

Even more pathetic than pointlessly hating him is the FT’s very own resident client journalist Sebastian Payne writing an article about how “the cabinet needs Cummings to get Brexit done”. WHAT?! Why? Is there a greater indictment of this useless wretched tory party than that? What insight could the UK’s very own poundshop megamind possibly have that makes him indispensable? I have yet to see any proof of his valence, competence, intelligence, anything at all beyond what Toryboy Seb claims is there.

Yes I dislike Cummings, A LOT, but I am not about to delude myself into thinking that anything he does is not going to come up fundamentally exactly the same as if anyone from the equally detestable Tory B team like Grant Shapps, Nick Timothy, or whichever other worm has somehow managed to wriggle his way up johnson’s fat rump, gets subbed in. None of these subservient boot-lickers have any room to maneuver anyway, we are getting a hard Brexit regardless of which braying captain finally goes down with the ship. The only logical conclusion is that Dommo is not somehow special, every single one of the Frothing Brexiteers leftover in the cabinet are all exactly as bad as each other.

The absolute tory piglets in charge of this government have already run this country into the ground. The impact has already happened, we are just watching the collapse now. The economy is totally overindebted and is only now starting to deleverage, we are Japan in 1991 folks, get ready for a lost decade. The UK was described to me by an American friend as a country without a future. I am just glad to have left the sinking ship by emigrating.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not sure I do, tbh.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Lol shops are back open in 2 weeks. We're all going to die.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Outdoor markets, famously places where people respect each other's space.

e: Laura still looks livid. Peston asking questions that didn't occur to him earlier.

stev fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 25, 2020

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Andrew Bridgen on C4 news offering an extremely big brained defence for Cummings' trip to the castle: his decision-making capabilities were affected by his recovery from COVID. Good thing he wasn't back to work advising the PM 2 days later then

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

quote:

Johnson is asked about Cummings’ claimed reasoning for travelling to County Durham and then for driving from home to Barnard Castle while there.

He is asked why, if Cummings was unsure whether or not he was fit to subsequently drive back to London, his wife did not take the wheel instead.

Johnson says they are good questions but claims that, because Cummings has answered a lot of questions already, he will not add anything substantial.
:laffo:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Lol shops are back open in 2 weeks. We're all going to die.

Shops open in two weeks, but you still won't be able to have people inside your house for a long while based on a response, but also people coming to the UK who self-isolate will have to just provide their own food somehow even though they've just arrived here. They seem to be just making it up as they go

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pistol_Pete posted:

This comment about Cummings was posted on the Financial Times website but it belongs to the UKMT in spirit and I think you all deserve to read it in full:

nigel's forage posted:

I am so sick and tired of the press treating this gormless little nerd as some sort of Machiavellian schemer. The archetype of a keyboard warrior who spends all his time telling his little circle of forum boys how clever they all are on an obscure right wing blog will be familiar to any of us who have ever had the misfortune of accidentally landing on an alt right reddit thread. The obvious giveaway that this is the case should come from the fact that Cummings hired a literal race eugenicist on the basis that he frequently complimented his sophomoric blog posts. Who knew that “assorted weirdos” actually just meant a bunch of posh Oxbridge humanities twits who really liked your 8000 word psychoanalysis of Otto von Bismarck’s dress sense.

This clown is little more than a glorified press relations spin doctor who happens to know a few lobby journalists moderately well. By not pointing this out more directly, broadcast hacks like Laura Kuenssberg and Robert Peston have let this shill buy his own bulls*** and shape this undeserved reputation as some kind of political rebel outsider who is fighting “the system” and has gone rogue.

I cannot be the only one who is insanely irritated by the incongruence of this guy's attitude/ image of himself and the actually existing reality of his job. He acts like he is some kind of silicone valley techbro libertarian punk rocker who has a total contempt for the humanities and the civil service. While in reality he has an oxbridge history degree, a wife who writes for the spectator, and has been working in politics as an unelected bureaucrat for his entire life. As aesthetically “unconventional” as our little Einstein thinks he is, he moves in exactly the same incestuous and unmeritocratic social circles as basically any toryboy mover and shaker ever has.

You can walk around all day talking about "coding" and how you would like to be a "disruption innovato-preneur" and it will probably convince the type of gormless dimwit who nowadays becomes a tory mp, but anybody who has spent more than 5 minutes in any professional services job will recognise this as the pretentious pseudobabbling of a technically useless marketing strategy consultant. Dress like a slightly-past-his-peak, middle-aged wannabe shoreditch creative type if you insist, but then do not act like it is subversive when you come out of 10 downing street looking like a dishevelled peacock. The fact that he can get away with this when Jeremy Corbyn could not should surely be some kind of indicator that nobody really sees this cheap hack as a remotely serious threat to any kind of established power structures.

Dominic Cummings is not some kind of uniquely sui generis personality, much as he would like to think otherwise. It is pretty clear that he is just the final form of the overly indulged British upperclass eccentric that has throughout the ages been gently coddled into thinking that he is a galaxybrained genius by a fawning gaggle of parliamentary courtiers. All this after having spent a career failing upwards (if anybody doubts his credentials, just look at the dogs breakfast the charlatan made out of his stint at the department of education). Meanwhile totally convinced of his own success since there is no feedback to either the stupidity of his actions or the consequences of his incompetence. Truly the idiot’s idea of what a smart person looks like.

This kind of "renaissance man" who knows nothing about everything has long been prized for holding their own in a tutorial meeting by the chipping norton set, but the dimwit's only actual area of expertise seems to be superfluously connecting everything that has happened in the 20th century back to Otto Van Bismarck somehow. Only now that the British Empire is no longer a cultural hegemon, the usual package of functionally useless cultural signifiers comes with a weird atlanticist twist where everything is distorted through the libertarian prism of MBA-style airport books. For sure, the one thing that the Tory party has been missing until now is a disruptor who thinks that we should run government “more like a business” and is absolutely certain that he is up to the task because he once read Jack Welches autobiography.

With this ridiculous furore about some middling useless advisor doing something wrong, it feels like the UK press have just entirely missed the point; who cares if this dork gets sacked? As if that could possibly have any significant long term effect on anything, either positive or negative. All that this navel-gazing obsession with personalities tells us is that the entire country has lost its mind and is projecting a decade of lost status and institutional failings onto a real life proponent of the “great man theory of history”. He is just a keyboard warrior who spent too much time talking to Michael Gove, not bloody napoleon

Even more pathetic than pointlessly hating him is the FT’s very own resident client journalist Sebastian Payne writing an article about how “the cabinet needs Cummings to get Brexit done”. WHAT?! Why? Is there a greater indictment of this useless wretched tory party than that? What insight could the UK’s very own poundshop megamind possibly have that makes him indispensable? I have yet to see any proof of his valence, competence, intelligence, anything at all beyond what Toryboy Seb claims is there.

Yes I dislike Cummings, A LOT, but I am not about to delude myself into thinking that anything he does is not going to come up fundamentally exactly the same as if anyone from the equally detestable Tory B team like Grant Shapps, Nick Timothy, or whichever other worm has somehow managed to wriggle his way up johnson’s fat rump, gets subbed in. None of these subservient boot-lickers have any room to maneuver anyway, we are getting a hard Brexit regardless of which braying captain finally goes down with the ship. The only logical conclusion is that Dommo is not somehow special, every single one of the Frothing Brexiteers leftover in the cabinet are all exactly as bad as each other.

The absolute tory piglets in charge of this government have already run this country into the ground. The impact has already happened, we are just watching the collapse now. The economy is totally overindebted and is only now starting to deleverage, we are Japan in 1991 folks, get ready for a lost decade. The UK was described to me by an American friend as a country without a future. I am just glad to have left the sinking ship by emigrating.
Wow.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Pistol_Pete posted:

This is good as hell. Whoever it is needs an account tbh.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm not sure I do, tbh.

In fairness, it was about 16 years ago.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Shops open in two weeks, but you still won't be able to have people inside your house for a long while based on a response, but also people coming to the UK who self-isolate will have to just provide their own food somehow even though they've just arrived here. They seem to be just making it up as they go

Well they are. Countries with experience with directing economic activity directly like China will know how or be able to quickly find out how inputs connect to outputs and will be able to adjust the openings in a way which lets the supply chains function. Otherwise you're putting all the pressure immediately back on the companies to sort out scheduling however they can and that's not going to be a smooth process.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
https://twitter.com/i/status/834234397742206976
lol?

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
So hang on, they drove up to Durham for child care help, but actually didn't go anywhere near the parents there...

So what help did they actually get for the child care in Durham that they couldn't have had in London?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The Donut posted:

So hang on, they drove up to Durham for child care help, but actually didn't go anywhere near the parents there...

So what help did they actually get for the child care in Durham that they couldn't have had in London?

They didn't get any.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

The Donut posted:

He claimed that there was nobody close in London who could provide childcare if they were both struck down by corona, which confirms Cummings has no friends, but if they went to Durham his parents could help if required.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Big Dom was on a spiritual quest to become a better father. The universe spoke to him, innit?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
No you see he has a 16 year old niece and teenagers don't get the disease apparently

Brilliant father. Terrible uncle.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Pathologically incapable of truth

https://twitter.com/abiwilks/status/1264992495697608707?s=21

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

EvilHawk posted:

He claimed that there was nobody close in London who could provide childcare if they were both struck down by corona, which confirms Cummings has no friends, but if they went to Durham his parents could help if required.

Apparently he couldn't accept the risk posed by asking one of his many handsome, real friends to help. He had to recruit two teenagers instead to look after their probably diseased four year old alone for up to two weeks.

Biggest brain.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Are they seriously just making up symptoms now? Has anything about altered vision been reported before?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

EvilHawk posted:

he didn't say that, he said it wouldn't be fair to ask someone in London to do that and risk exposing them, when his niece had already volunteered

that's why I was asking if anyone chased up on this because it seems like a pretty obvious case of "she doesn't live near you so so what??"

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Nothing from Starmer about all this yet. Obviously waiting to see what the media say before formulating a politically acceptable response.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I've heard this from a lot of people tbf, that they might have hated Thatcher but by god did she stick to her guns.

I don't know that I'd class that as a virtue when her guns were turned against all that is good and decent, but :shrug:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

crispix posted:

Are they seriously

Probably

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/phased_bemused/status/1264996875779923968?s=20

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

no contact with people from outside your household, no seeing your family
if you get the rona you must self-isolate for 14 days

unless one of your relations offers to look after you in which case sure travel across the country and move in with them

in fact it would be wrong to do anything else once they've offered, mustn't be rude

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

I've heard this from a lot of people tbf, that they might have hated Thatcher but by god did she stick to her guns.

I don't know that I'd class that as a virtue when her guns were turned against all that is good and decent, but :shrug:

I wonder if pathological egotism might have been a contributing factor in how she turned out.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/KTHopkins/status/1264916269226229761?s=20

fingers crossed!

e: also I try not to pay attention to Katie Hopkins but I've definitely seen her name come up in the context of bring a cyber bully towards like an instgrammer or someone recently :ironicat:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah she's fully hoping for that to happen.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

XMNN posted:

fingers crossed!

e: also I try not to pay attention to Katie Hopkins but I've definitely seen her name come up in the context of bring a cyber bully towards like an instgrammer or someone recently :ironicat:

Is Katie Hopkins planning on lynching him?

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

I have no problem if Ilhan applies this logic to her politics, her politics thus far have shown that she is a good egg. It's a good rebuttal when a progressive is being told they are too radical/militant in their thinking by conservatives, you can quickly shut them up with a statement from one of their saints.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Cripes, and there was me thinking Hopkins was banned by Twitter.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Love a good forensic BBQ

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

XMNN posted:

fingers crossed!

I thought she lost her blue tick for all the fascism?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

big scary monsters posted:

Not really. I know everyone is entirely focused on Cummings breaking The Rules because that is to English people the worst thing it is possible to do, but recall also that he exposed his loved ones to a potentially deadly disease for no good reason. The point of not sucking dick for a few months isn't because the police will arrest you, it's that that dick could be the one that kills you. If you avoid the lockdown because Cummings did it you might now get a pass in the court of Twitter opinion, but I don't think coronavirus cares much one way or another.

Also wasn't there a spike in Covid cases in Durham like 2 weeks after he first visited? He may have single handedly infected a whole drat community

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
US but same here:

https://twitter.com/nkjemisin/status/1265004850670186504?s=20

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Lockdown is definitely over because, predictably, Tommy Robinson has driven upto Barrow-in-Furness today and is holding court with a mob of the great unwashed in KFC's carpark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The biggest Tory bellend I know spent that whole press conference talking about what an absolute knob Cummings was for breaching the lockdown and then finally:

"Right ok. We all have an opinion on Cummings and whether right or wrong let’s put it behind us now, and focus on getting the pubs open again."

He can't be the only one immediately bypassing it now they've had their little moment, so I guess it's mission accomplished then.