Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I just find it particularly obnoxious to explode myself because I got transformed and accidentally clicked the mouse one time too many. Getting transformed is a predictable threat. Getting transformed and exploding yourself because you don't have the reflexes to catch yourself mid-click isn't and really shouldn't happen. I don't know why that is even something to argue against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
How, how is that not too a predictable threat?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Because an effect that instantly kills you one time out of a hundred is a Bad Thing. I mean, hey, if you really like the idea of your attack button getting randomly turned into a Kill Yourself button just sometimes, then so much the better - but I think I'll rather try figure out how to mod those shrooms out of the transformation list now that I've been reminded that this is a thing.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 4, 2020

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Cardiovorax posted:

Getting transformed is a predictable threat.
It's not called Predictable Polymorphine

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

I just find it particularly obnoxious to explode myself because I got transformed and accidentally clicked the mouse one time too many.

So maybe... don't click one times too many? That's not the polymorph's fault.. it's yours.

Nothing about this situation is unfair in my book. Like, I'm equating this to polymorphing into a worm then getting your rear end stuck in a substance you can't get out of.

Does it suck? I mean, sure. Is it a bug that needs to be fixed? Definitely not.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"The game will just randomly gently caress you over sometimes and if you don't like that you need to learn to deal with it" is a bad attitude to designing a game and I can only hope the devs aren't taking that advice to heart, if they're still reading this thread, because they really shouldn't. That's the kind of attitude that just gets you "hardcore roguelikes" that everyone outside of a tiny crowd hates to play.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I had a small very rock land on me from the temple above and it murdered me...after I used a nuke.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

"The game will just randomly gently caress you over sometimes and if you don't like that you need to learn to deal with it" is a bad attitude to designing a game and I can only hope the devs aren't taking that advice to heart, if they're still reading this thread, because they really shouldn't. That's the kind of attitude that just gets you "hardcore roguelikes" that everyone outside of a tiny crowd hates to play.

That is admittedly kind of the attitude that drives this game. It's 100% possible that an enemy off-screen picks up a nuke wand and shoots it, killing you before you know that enemy exists. It's not fair, but it's part of what many people like about this game.

This is a game where sometimes you die randomly with little to no control over it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Again, the game isn't making you attack or suicide after you get polymorphed, you are...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"Wow, that sure is bullshit that I died that way" is definitely a recipe for frustration in this game, yeah. "Holy poo poo, I survived being polymorphed" is a much better attitude to take, along with a "whoops, I died, oh well" when the inevitable happens. If you aren't okay with that, then mod the game for Christ's sake so that deaths are less punishing. There's a mod that sends you back to the last temple when you die instead of killing you.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Yeah honestly, freeze and polymorphs should be at the absolute top of the "stay the gently caress away from" list for players.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I got polymorphed into one of those flying fire guys from the first level and tried to float into a body of water to wash off the polymorph effect.

Instant death.

Laughed hysterically when I read the death reason.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Cardiovorax posted:

"The game will just randomly gently caress you over sometimes and if you don't like that you need to learn to deal with it" is a bad attitude to designing a game and I can only hope the devs aren't taking that advice to heart, if they're still reading this thread, because they really shouldn't.

All my deaths in all video games are bullshit, but never moreso than in Noita.

Generally doesn't bother me in this game because there still isn't much of an objective anyway. Most runs are just getting to the end and killing the boss since I often won't have an effective way to dig back up and go essence hunting or whatever. Maybe there will be a solid progression structure to give players something to work towards further in development but at this stage of early access there isn't much beyond the sandbox.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I hope they add achievements for all the extra things so people have a vague sense there's SO much that they're missing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My favorite death is when I found a wand that cast Summon Wand. I used it in the Hiisi Base, and it summoned a wand with the Earthquake spell. The resulting collapse killed the wand and very nearly killed me, but I survived, picked up the dead wand, and used it again. And that collapse got the job done!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Zesty posted:

I hope they add achievements for all the extra things so people have a vague sense there's SO much that they're missing.

I hope they add cheevos for all the various ways to die (including "used the attack that makes you explode while polymorphed into a thing that explodes to attack"), but not really the extra stuff. That stuff might work better in a different, more obfuscated way. The tablets would be a nice use for this, since they otherwise don't really do much other than act as very good and very painful footballs.

Zesty posted:

I got polymorphed into one of those flying fire guys from the first level and tried to float into a body of water to wash off the polymorph effect.

Instant death.

Laughed hysterically when I read the death reason.
Cause of death: bzzt!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My favorite death is when I found a wand that cast Summon Wand. I used it in the Hiisi Base, and it summoned a wand with the Earthquake spell. The resulting collapse killed the wand and very nearly killed me, but I survived, picked up the dead wand, and used it again. And that collapse got the job done!

If at first you don't succeed... :allears:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Getting polymorphed into the suicide boy and immediately killing myself is one of my favorites deaths I've gotten in this game. It would be a shame if the devs took out this feature.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

I hope they add cheevos for all the various ways to die (including "used the attack that makes you explode while polymorphed into a thing that explodes to attack"),

I hope that goon who was complaining never gets it and then complains about never 100%ing the game :allears:

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Man the unlimited spells perk is absolutely bonkers good.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

what's Finnish for "trolled again, lmao"?

Holy Grenade + Energy Orb(?) + Doublecast = warp whistle???

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I was doing so well for once too :saddowns:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nh0q-Ps57E

Want to feel inadequate? Guy wins without using a wand.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

To be honest, its probably the safest way to play...

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

they've added a bunch of stuff, huh?

welp, time to see how far i make it this time

/e i'm shocked, i tell you

https://imgur.com/NlgAXb7

stringless fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 22, 2020

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are there any good youtubers/streamers that playthroughs of this game with useful commentary about all the decisions they're making? I think that would be a good way to learn the game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Jack Trades posted:

Are there any good youtubers/streamers that playthroughs of this game with useful commentary about all the decisions they're making? I think that would be a good way to learn the game.

FuryForged has a bunch of videos about specific secrets if you're interested in that aspect of the game, most of them are obscure enough that you would probably never find them on your own.

For straight streamer content I watched a few of Simosimo's videos when I was starting out. He occasionally makes decisions that I wouldn't agree with but generally does a good job of explaining his reasoning for everything going on. Good channel if you want to see what it takes to get a successful multi-hour run. Most of his runs have cheatGUI enabled but it's just to show the alchemy recipes at the top of the screen.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

This update made the game unplayable on my already inadequate Lenovo x220. Literally the only game that has made me want to upgrade.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh for gently caress's sake

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, if the ice skull freezes you and bites you you're fuckin dead

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I sometimes (like in that .gif I just posted) noticed that occasionally when I take damage I seem to completely lose the ability to fly. What exactly causes that? Do certain attacks drain the levitation bar or what?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Something like that, yeah. I think it's just taking damage, period, that can do it. You want to watch where you're flying when in combat, and sometimes just give up on your approach and find a different route.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You lose both your flight and ALL your ability to control your movement to the left or right until your feet touch the ground again (even if you're miles up in the air). You can still wand recoil yourself upwards, which might mean surfing off in whatever direction you've been pushed.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Yeah, knockback effectively disables all air control until you land. There was a mod I was using that disabled that and it made a big change in the amount of difficulty I felt the game had.

It'd be nice to see some stuff like that for difficulty options.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

FuryForged has a bunch of videos about specific secrets if you're interested in that aspect of the game, most of them are obscure enough that you would probably never find them on your own.

For straight streamer content I watched a few of Simosimo's videos when I was starting out. He occasionally makes decisions that I wouldn't agree with but generally does a good job of explaining his reasoning for everything going on. Good channel if you want to see what it takes to get a successful multi-hour run. Most of his runs have cheatGUI enabled but it's just to show the alchemy recipes at the top of the screen.

Here's a direct link to FuryForged's Noita spoiler playlist

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

watch some weird set seed speed run tournament, right now

https://www.twitch.tv/bammalam

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Giga Black Hole apparently attracts other GBH projectiles?

Giga Black Hole + Homing Shots + Light Shot on a fast-casting trigger to get 3+ black holes orbiting one another = physics just goes bonkers. It helps to have unlimited spells, though that guarantees you'll die hilariously.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What are the extra chonkier spider legs from?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Zesty posted:

What are the extra chonkier spider legs from?

It's the Leggy Mutation perk dropped by high-level(?) mimic monsters which grow those weird legs and become mobile when something disturbs them.

I think Leggychests are kinda rare (definitely saw one in the Tower at least) but I used a cheatmenu mod to spawn a lot of the perk (and Lukki Mutations) to see whether movespeed buff perk from multiple sets of legs stack endlessly, but got sidetracked with gravity and then teleported into lava right after recording that gif so wasn't able to do much testing.

Leggy legs function exactly like Lukki legs in disabling flight and making you stick to walls/ceilings but you lose a lot of mobility and need to risk blind-teleporting to cross big open areas.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Games > Noita: got sidetracked with gravity and then teleported into lava

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

So the new 'Auto-Aim' and 'Automatic Rotation' spells... kinda own?

Autoaim lets you make throwable claymore mines (helpful so you don't even need to know where all the enemies are, like if there's a lot of chaos and/or you're busy trying to dodge something especially threatening. Or if you want to shoot around corners.)

And autorotate often gives better homing than the Homing spell since it doesn't affect projectile velocity.

...but be cautious if you do this trick with sawblades since there's a bug(??) that Berserk makes autoaimed projectiles target the caster.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

I have no idea what this is except something got polymorphed into it in the fungal cavers and they go out with a bang :stare: