Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mouse Business
Jun 12, 2019
Pretty sure Ephrael Stern is coming with Pariah, not War of the Spider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nah it was unlisted even before then, which loving sucks because it's a classic and they're never gonna do a new one for smolmarines

It was removed very quickly after the Primaris upgrades dropped.

huh, Tech-Priest Manipulus is now on sale by himself, and there's a new AM start collecting box with the Skitarii troops, basic tech-priest, and the hover Higgins. Neat

Mouse Business posted:

Pretty sure Ephrael Stern is coming with Pariah, not War of the Spider.

Correct, Spider is Fab Bile, and pariah has Stern, the Inquisitor, and the named Necron cryptek I won't spell.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Stephenls posted:

That was an ancient metal kit; they probably cut production on it years ago. It wouldn't surprise me if it was only still listed on the website because they'd never run out of stock, and then last summer Iron Hands were really overwhelmingly popular for a few months and it finally sold out.

They had updated it to be resin, but I guess it's a goner

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
having bought the GSC codex I do not like that cults inevitably end in mass panic as the Tyranids arrive and the faithful realise they've been tricked. Feels more appropriate (and more realistic) that they'd welcome their assimilation into the hive with open arms

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

peer posted:

having bought the GSC codex I do not like that cults inevitably end in mass panic as the Tyranids arrive and the faithful realise they've been tricked. Feels more appropriate (and more realistic) that they'd welcome their assimilation into the hive with open arms

Isn't that so some of them flee the planet though and then start the cult on other planets? Aka it was all part of their plan?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Kitchner posted:

Isn't that so some of them flee the planet though and then start the cult on other planets? Aka it was all part of their plan?

Yeah, it's also more Cthulhu cult themed. Like most of them don't realize what absolute alien horror they've been worshiping until they see it, I personally love that part of it.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Kitchner posted:

Maybe? I don't think that's stated in the codex (it's implied every single cultist is killed) but perhaps it's expanded upon somewhere else?

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Yeah, it's also more Cthulhu cult themed. Like most of them don't realize what absolute alien horror they've been worshiping until they see it, I personally love that part of it.

I suppose. To me, "the star gods merely require your flesh, and you'll live eternal as part of the gene-pool" is a more compelling end to the cult than Surprise, It Was Aliens All Along, but maybe I'm in the minority

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

peer posted:

Some do welcome it right until the end. The whole Genestealer cult thing is like an epic MLM scheme carried out across generations and it's very on brand with grimdark 40k to have the victims realise their mistake only when it's far too late. This is my favourite piece of fluff GW have done in recent years:

Kitchner posted:

IIRC it's mostly purestrains that 'flee' during the panic in order to start new cults. The actual line members tend to stick around waiting for their gods to reward them for their hard work.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's an old "unofficial" Citadel Journal named character Magus who had serial-infected worlds because he was terrified of re-absorbtion but couldn't resist the biological imperative to make a cult.

It's a more complicated villain motive than what you typically see in 40k, which is probably why it stuck with me.

The same article also had a named hybrid, who was an extremely pious Imperial Cult adherent who wouldn't accept that he was xenos-tainted. He chopped off his extra arms as they grew, but they kept coming back.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I'm very confused at this Tzaangor kit, there's like a few things in here that make no sense, 2 are of like a head that's split in 2 but I can't make it fit anywhere, another is a spare axe head that doesn't go anyway, one has an arm with a hand that should be holding something but nothing's there and then also a fur but that I can't find what it attaches to. The handbook to help put stuff together doesn't even acknowledge these pieces or numbers?

I am very confused, what.

EDIT: ah ha worked out the "mutant" head, it looks cool

Spudd fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 25, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Cool, seems the Necrons are getting a massive update to their entire range, including a bunch of wild looking new units!

*looks sheepishly at Eldar models last updated in the 1970s*

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mordja posted:

This is why xenos can't get nice things, you're never happy!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

moths posted:

This is why xenos can't get nice things, you're never happy!

Orktober is just around the corner and I hear we are getting new buggies(again)!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

xtothez posted:

IIRC it's mostly purestrains that 'flee' during the panic in order to start new cults. The actual line members tend to stick around waiting for their gods to reward them for their hard work.

Kelly's too, their entire role is infiltration and protection until the purestrain can evolve.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mordja posted:

Cool, seems the Necrons are getting a massive update to their entire range, including a bunch of wild looking new units!

To be fair, as much as I dream about new plastic Aspects, the Eldar range by and large still looks really good.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

To be fair, as much as I dream about new plastic Aspects, the Eldar range by and large still looks really good.

For that matter, as the rest of the range has gotten larger and larger while the Eldar remained the same, it actually accents the inhuman litheness of the Eldar compared to the increasingly bulky human miniatures.

Well it would until the few new models for Eldar they have made wrecked the scaling again. :shrug:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
As we know, one faction getting an update means another can't ever get an update.

It's the law of equivalent hamstange.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Stephenls posted:

I mean, I have one. I picked it up as part of the old Iron Hands Tactical Squad box about a year and a half ago from a dusty unused shelf at the back of a game store because I saw it and went "Oh, cybernetic marines, I want those bits!"

It is a classic, but the marines in that box are on sprues dated 1998, and are about as tall as the (still) current Scouts (which came from that era, which suggests scouts aren't supposed to be much shorter than marines...). They're visibly shorter than even the current Tacticals. It's no surprise GW no longer sells the thing.

Oh for sure! I'd just absolutely love an updated version of the kit and I know it ain't coming

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How long does it take to actually produce new kits?

From "GW leadership approves [new kit] to be produced" to "customers can acquire [new kit]"?

It seems like it's a better business model to (relatively) slow drip new kits rather than release a bunch at once.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think they mentioned at some point it takes around 3 years or so.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Cooked Auto posted:

I really, really doubt it is that long. Unless you're counting time of artist sketches sitting on a desk doing nothing. I'd bet it is more like 9-15 months.
Drip feeding some stuff can be a good idea. But when you're releasing a new flagship product, you really do need to come out with a critical mass all at once. You want people to see a bunch of new boxes and make big purchases when you have this level of campaign behind it. Also, they're way behind schedule due to Covid and probably looking for ways to catch up.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It really is that long.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Experimented with a new scheme for my Drukhari

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Deified Data posted:

I love that palette choice. What greens did you use?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just warpstone glow recess washed with biel-tan and highlighted with moot green

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Was it just me or were there previews for some Ynnari melee looking dudes a milion years ago?

Also, out of all the things, I think getting Exodites would be radical.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 25, 2020

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Deified Data posted:

This looks great.

Mordja posted:

new plastic noise marines when

Baku fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 25, 2020

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Deified Data posted:

thanks doc

my New Imperial Guard Model Wish List:

Likely: Fresh Cadian sculpt with more reasonable arm size, some female options, more head variety in general, etc. like just an updated model

Possible: Some kind of lightly armored or flak-less unit that still wear fatigues; old-school stormtroopers or kasrkin in plastic

Unlikely: getting new sculpts at all lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 25, 2020

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

My wish is a kit for any regiment other than Cadian

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mugaaz posted:

I really, really doubt it is that long.

From 'We're going to make a new unit of X'

to 'Preorders for X is this weekend'

Is on average, 3 years.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Strelok604 posted:

My wish is a kit for any regiment other than Cadian

let me rep my boys from Jopall, GW, you cowards

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Yeast posted:

From 'We're going to make a new unit of X'

to 'Preorders for X is this weekend'

Is on average, 3 years.

Yeah, I imagine waiting for an opportunity to slide a new model into the manufacturing chain can be a big delay.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, I imagine waiting for an opportunity to slide a new model into the manufacturing chain can be a big delay.

Yeah, at this point releases until Holiday 2023 are already developed and scheduled.

If you wanted to make a change or add something, you’d be looking at 2024 before it was available.

This doesn’t even go into models that are done and then for whatever reason held back.

Eldar Jetbikes were accidentally included in an army photo years before they were released, so they were made and then shelved for almost 6 years before release.

It’s a long, long time line.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Deified Data posted:

Fantastic looking dudes.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Mugaaz posted:

I really, really doubt it is that long. Unless you're counting time of artist sketches sitting on a desk doing nothing. I'd bet it is more like 9-15 months.
Drip feeding some stuff can be a good idea. But when you're releasing a new flagship product, you really do need to come out with a critical mass all at once. You want people to see a bunch of new boxes and make big purchases when you have this level of campaign behind it. Also, they're way behind schedule due to Covid and probably looking for ways to catch up.

They posted pictures of painted Blackstone Fortress & Speedfreeks models on the rumour engine ~18 months before they finally came out.

The release schedule is subject to change up until 3-4 months to go. Some products get held back for months or years depending on what else is going out, or might be heavily revised. Adeptus Titanicus was 'done' to the point of being included in the 'next month in White Dwarf' preview in 2017. But they changed it to all-plastic models and delayed everything by over a year.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I really wish the WarCom site had an easier way to access the Rumor Engine because it'd be interesting so see how many of those teases have been revealed by this point.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mugaaz posted:

Initial layout of the brief.

Sculptor's concept artwork.

Concept revision.

Concept approval.

Initial sculpt.

Sculpt revision.

Sculpt approval.

Rules writing & testing.

Fluff development.

Sprue layout design.

Sprue approval.

Instructions layout.

Mould production.

Box art design and approval..

Release schedule window approval.

Model production.

Distribution.

It averages three years. Oh, and sometimes they just forget they left a prototype sculpt in a draw for half a decade.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Cooked Auto posted:

As others have pointed out, I'm pretty sure this is accurate.

I think I heard on Voxcast that all the studios work on material / models 3 years ahead of what we see released.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
They probably leave a buffer in case of issues as well, so it might be 3 years of dev then a few months just in case if it is a scheduled release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Given the 3-year production cycle, that's actually really impressive how few content leaks there are.

Like, right now there are a bunch of GW folks who know all the releases for the next few years. Yet overall leaks are almost unheard of until close to release.