Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dexo posted:

Critical Role ran it as a one shot I don't even think it was sponsored like their Doom Eternal oneshot.

People brought up some bad things in Wendy's past after to the cast after the stream and afterwards they removed the vods and never posted them to YouTube. And they also take down anyone who posts it to YouTube as there is a rip of the stream out there if you want it.

No, it was a sponsorship and that's why some folks were a little unsettled leading up to it. CR donated their take to a non-profit that helps farmworkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dawgstar posted:

No, it was a sponsorship and that's why some folks were a little unsettled leading up to it. CR donated their take to a non-profit that helps farmworkers.

Ah whoops my bad.

I missed that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

No it isn't but the podcast in question here has demonstrably done more than anything besides Stranger Things to make D&D 5th edition a success, and they know it.

Comparing a nerd podcast, even a big one, to the most successful original show on the most successful streaming service on the planet certainly shows one idea of perspective I guess.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

PST posted:

There's literally nothing but ubsubstantiated conjecture that Mercer's tweets have anything to do with Mearls at all.

There's the timing, and then that he addressed Mandy's treatment.

But that's the danger of vage-tweeting: If the subject wasn't on the table before, it is now.

This kind of thing smacks of trying to play both sides. It reads like he's signaling that he's upset and unhappy with the situation, but not enough to take a stand - only enough to seek e-hugs and likes.

Onyx Path and everybody have enough skeletons in their closets not to throw stones, and there's no expectation that they'd comment. The foundation of this guy's house is 5e, he's arguably as brand affiliated as Mearls.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Comparing a nerd podcast, even a big one, to the most successful original show on the most successful streaming service on the planet certainly shows one idea of perspective I guess.

To be fair, it’s probably true, just that the ratio is like 99.5% stranger things, .3% CR, .2% everything else,

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

moths posted:

There's the timing, and then that he addressed Mandy's treatment.

But that's the danger of vage-tweeting: If the subject wasn't on the table before, it is now.

This kind of thing smacks of trying to play both sides. It reads like he's signaling that he's upset and unhappy with the situation, but not enough to take a stand - only enough to seek e-hugs and likes.

Onyx Path and everybody have enough skeletons in their closets not to throw stones, and there's no expectation that they'd comment. The foundation of this guy's house is 5e, he's arguably as brand affiliated as Mearls.

The Mandy Tweets were from last year. when all this poo poo blew up.

Not this past Friday.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

Both are mountains larger than anything any designer working on the game did. That's all that was being stated there.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Dexo posted:

Ah whoops my bad.

I missed that.

As long as we're calling you out for apparently accidental acts of being disingenuous, the Wendy's poo poo isn't just from their past. Their owner is a bigger donor to the Trump campaign than Chik-Fil-A and they have consistently refused to participate in the FFP (a coalition of tomato growers that fight for better wages and safer working conditions for tomato growers) which would't seem so bad if every other big player in fast food hadn't agreed immediately for the good PR of the thing. They are being boycotted well into today.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Dexo posted:

The Mandy Tweets were from last year. when all this poo poo blew up.

Not this past Friday.

Yeah, I mention it because with Mercer aware of the Zak situation, he'd almost certainly know of Mike's role.

We don't directly know that Mearls' return prompted the tweets, and that's by design. But it reads like he wants to be percieved as deeply upset about it but actually isn't bothered enough to be specific.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

theironjef posted:

As long as we're calling you out for apparently accidental acts of being disingenuous, the Wendy's poo poo isn't just from their past. Their owner is a bigger donor to the Trump campaign than Chik-Fil-A and they have consistently refused to participate in the FFP (a coalition of tomato growers that fight for better wages and safer working conditions for tomato growers) which would't seem so bad if every other big player in fast food hadn't agreed immediately for the good PR of the thing. They are being boycotted well into today.

Being a Donor to the Trump campaign isn't really all that particularly shocking, I just kinda assume anyone that rich probably is and color my opinions as such. The Tomato stuff I legit had no idea about.

But I wasn't intending that post to be dismissive/disengenuous or to imply that they are now a clean company or anything. I used careless phrasing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

pseudodragon posted:

To be fair, it’s probably true, just that the ratio is like 99.5% stranger things, .3% CR, .2% everything else,

Rick and Morty's D&D stuff hast to be like 2.5% at this point. WotC even put out the Rick and Morty adventure set for 5e.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kibner posted:

This is pretty wild.

WotC's stance on leakers -- of anything related to MTG -- has been "go nuclear" all the way back to when I was a teenager. I don't think there's anything stopping them from doing it legally and only barely in terms of fan backlash, but it always kind of repulsed me.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Man this thread gets filled with absolute nutty crack-pot conspiracy bullshit real easy, and then actual industry news gets glossed over like the MTG thing above.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 22, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

MTG drama could probably use its own thread TBQH.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Arthil posted:

Man this thread gets filled with absolute nutty crack-pot conspiracy bullshit real easy, and then actual industry news gets glossed over like the MTG thing above.

WOTC has been actively poisoning the pro circuit for MTG for years. They clearly have no interest in having a actual competitive environment at the top levels. It's turning into the geek equivalent of North American baseball: there are thousands of players devoting huge amounts of time and money in the hope that they will win an arbitrary lottery and "make it big."

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

theironjef posted:

TBF, their poo poo tastes like filth anyway, so such a boycott is p!easy. :v:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Zurui posted:

WOTC has been actively poisoning the pro circuit for MTG for years. They clearly have no interest in having a actual competitive environment at the top levels. It's turning into the geek equivalent of North American baseball: there are thousands of players devoting huge amounts of time and money in the hope that they will win an arbitrary lottery and "make it big."

why are they doing that

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Monetizing nerds' hopes and dreams, presumably.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

paradoxGentleman posted:

why are they doing that

because if the top levels are this weird capricious and arbitrary thing it seems a lot more accessible than it really is. If the MPL has this weird mystique of 'Wizards takes from the top level and makes them pros!' then it feels like anyone has a shot regardless of meta reality and all. This keeps people buying stuff and paying to go to events and all, because what if it's ME that gets the coveted golden ticket, yes my mono red goblin deck is pretty much countered by all the top level stuff these days and Wizards have made it pretty obvious they don't care but what if I just need THE HEART OF THE CARDS?!

If it was just a flat points based tournament thing without the spectacle of chance wouldn't be as alluring.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

paradoxGentleman posted:

why are they doing that

Presumably because they've worked out that MTG players will spend just as much money when there aren't the huge prize pools as when there are. WOTC collects a ton of data about their customer base and that analysis informs pretty much every element of MTG's design and marketing.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

paradoxGentleman posted:

why are they doing that

For the same reason that Texas Hold Em television shows only focus on the 'top table': the expense to cover matches further and further out from the 'featured players' grows in a ratio like the surface of a sphere to radius. Its better for marketing to have a small group of stars to build a story, compared to selling a dream that a grinder nerds can see themselves as one of the 56 nameless shlubs of a top 64.

You offload the 'big' tourny scene to the secondary seller conglomerates who want to get as many eyes as possible on their bulk rare box.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Zurui posted:

This is absolutely not true. WotC has made a number of mistakes wrt organized play lately, not the least of which is the current alterations to the OP schedule and prize pools, but they have also done quite a bit to make it so that it is much easier to make a decent living as a competitive Magic player. To say that they don't want a pro circuit is absurd - they've been pumping massive amounts into the pro circuit lately. Austin getting banned is insane but the prize reductions, although lovely, are mostly a result of prize pools being the first thing to be cut when revenue is declining due to the ongoing global epidemic.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Rick and Morty's D&D stuff hast to be like 2.5% at this point. WotC even put out the Rick and Morty adventure set for 5e.

To be fair, D&D is just getting more mainstream in general at the moment it seems? Especially the past few months with coronavirus lockdown. I have a friend (former work colleague) in her late fifties who has been asking me about joining my online D&D group after I mentioned it and explained we were basically hanging out in the evening for 2.5 hours twice a week on Skype and playing pretendy fun time games whilst drinking booze.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Comstar posted:

I don't follow the MTG thread on here, but this seems relevant to this thread's interests. Effectively WOTC banned a "reporter (aka a very high rated player) from their game for posting damaging and embarrassing revelations because they refused to give up the source.

WoTC tries to get the source. The poster tells them no:
https://twitter.com/mtghofbot/status/1264205700596666368

Their response:
https://twitter.com/mtghofbot/status/1264804014882992128

Seems a bit harsh, and is going to cause another headache for Hasbro by WotC's inept handling and possible corruption.

Links in the post can be found on the reddit post.

[Magic: the Gathering] Popular streamer blows the whistle on Wizards of the Coast, refuses to give up his source, gets banned

I wonder if some community manager is going to get their poo poo lit up tomorrow for causing a PR nightmare on a holiday weekend.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Did anyone from this whole disaster give any advice on how to confront those people? It's one thing to say go after the abusers. It's another thing to do it without turning it into a giant clusterfuck of a situation that hurts people.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 26, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MadScientistWorking posted:

Did anyone from this whole disaster give any advice on how to confront those people? It's one thing to say go after the abusers. It's another thing to do it without turning it into a giant clusterfuck of a situation that hurts people.

No. Price did a follow-up where she ties this back to her own experience of being fired due to targeted public outrage (as explained earlier in the thread) and it kinda muddies the issue because what does she expect people to do?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Patrat posted:

To be fair, D&D is just getting more mainstream in general at the moment it seems? Especially the past few months with coronavirus lockdown. I have a friend (former work colleague) in her late fifties who has been asking me about joining my online D&D group after I mentioned it and explained we were basically hanging out in the evening for 2.5 hours twice a week on Skype and playing pretendy fun time games whilst drinking booze.

I mean, yes, it absolutely is. In large part due to the actual play streams that have been around for a few years that we've been discussing, the brief references Stranger Things has, and now lots of people are home and eager to find some way to be social and have fun online and pen and paper RPGs are great for that.

Rick and Morty has been referencing D&D stuff since before then though. Because Dan Harmon loves D&D (and has his own actual play show too!) He pulled D&D into Community before that as well. WotC coming to him and offering to do first-party tie in poo poo to D&D is the next natural step.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

* I'm assuming that's what he calls his fans, I don't know.

I don't know either, but I would have gone with ""High Rolers."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I hate that I know this, but it's "critters."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Thank goodness for quotation marks, the tweezers of written discourse.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Hey, Critrolerinos*, I heard Mike Mearls is plain back in tabletop D&D doing his things so FYI this is how he endangered other people in the company and our industry and continues to do so because he's never taken responsibility for things other than having lunch with two well-placed victims, and it's just totally not cool, folks."

* I'm assuming that's.what he calls his fans, I don't know.
Oooo.... I'm talking about other abusers besides Zak. Price and Ash are correct in that regard but how?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I wonder what they get out of that. Unless the plan is to sell it back as part of a premium stats package or something?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Loxbourne posted:

I wonder what they get out of that. Unless the plan is to sell it back as part of a premium stats package or something?

Well, from an implementation perspective it's much easier to transition to a new system if you don't have to bring in any of the old data and they don't want to have to maintain a system to access the old data. This is almost certainly just a case of them going "This is cheaper and no one really cares about it anyway so who cares?"

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Of course it turns out a lot of people do care, but like...they are the people so passionate about the game they're unlikely to quit over it so welp.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also it's not buried in the announcement, I know for a fact we were talking about it a while ago and I think it was even in their official FAQ on the subject.

e: As someone who does a lot of database work, and knowing how WOTC handled their tech development in the dark before times, it's entirely likely that they do not know how to get the data out of the old system en masse because the people who wrote it left literally decades ago, and it lacks any kind of modern integration. Also it's probably written in some horrifying dead code language that no one uses anymore, bonus points if it doesn't have defined variables.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Kurieg posted:

Also it's not buried in the announcement, I know for a fact we were talking about it a while ago and I think it was even in their official FAQ on the subject.

From what I can tell "buried in the announcement" means "didn't literally title the announcement 'We're deleting all your old match data'".