Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I aint mad at Lagunitas. All my cousin drinks is their Sumthin Easy Pale Ale. Aint too shabby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Local brewery has put out the perfect antidote to oversweet bad milkshake IPAs

Conch - ESB 6.5% A modern extra special bitter,all burnt sugar and orange peel without being thick or cloyingly sweet.

I want to live inside a dimple pot of this beer and drown happy.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

funkybottoms posted:

our bottle labels are bad but this is terrible. it looks like a mimeographed elementary school newspaper from the 80s

OTOH if they were goong for a black metal aesthetic, it being a bit poo poo is very on point

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Realized that by moving some poo poo out of this room I will have space for a small beer fridge. Anybody have a favorite? I'm sure I can look on Amazon and find something, but figured I'd ask.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spuckuk posted:

Conch - ESB 6.5% A modern extra special bitter,all burnt sugar and orange peel without being thick or cloyingly sweet.

That sounds loving rad.

Note to breweries: adjuncts and flavors aren't inherently bad. The way most of you dipshits handle them is, though.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

danbanana posted:

That sounds loving rad.

Note to breweries: adjuncts and flavors aren't inherently bad. The way most of you dipshits handle them is, though.

:hai:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I sort of have sympathy for Reinheitsgebot or whatever tho. I would trade the few good examples of adjunct beer for no bad ones. Even fruited sours, which are actually good, have become somewhat of an evil in that they're completely dominating the discussion and threatening to push good fermentation-focused mixed ferm beers out of the market.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

thotsky posted:

I sort of have sympathy for Reinheitsgebot or whatever tho. I would trade the few good examples of adjunct beer for no bad ones. Even fruited sours, which are actually good, have become somewhat of an evil in that they're completely dominating the discussion and threatening to push good fermentation-focused mixed ferm beers out of the market.

Reinheitsgebot is the reason we didn't see any significant forward movement in beer until 35 years ago. It impressed an idea that beer had to taste and look a certain way for literally centuries. Outside of the couple of historical brewing styles that barely survived (lambic and Trappist styles), it created a mostly monochrome and uniform definition for a once diverse drink.

A majority of fruited lactose IPAs and pastry stouts and fruit-juice-posing-as-beers are not good. But I'll take this industry over the one that existed even 15 years ago. Good breweries have figured out how to subtly handle ingredients in the same way that any good food related business has.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
Finally got some old nation distro here. If I could only drink m-43 for the rest of my days I wouldn’t be mad yo.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

danbanana posted:

Reinheitsgebot is the reason we didn't see any significant forward movement in beer until 35 years ago. It impressed an idea that beer had to taste and look a certain way for literally centuries. Outside of the couple of historical brewing styles that barely survived (lambic and Trappist styles), it created a mostly monochrome and uniform definition for a once diverse drink.

A majority of fruited lactose IPAs and pastry stouts and fruit-juice-posing-as-beers are not good. But I'll take this industry over the one that existed even 15 years ago. Good breweries have figured out how to subtly handle ingredients in the same way that any good food related business has.

Yeah we should instead have a law requiring only big huge Trappist beers

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

shovelbum posted:

Legit what I was looking for when I found that Laginitas yesterday.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

funkybottoms posted:

also, lol if you rotate the google street view for Halfway Crooks

Oh man yeah a lot of DC Comics Universe TV series were filmed on Georgia Avenue this year. That was pretty weird.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

funkybottoms posted:

i could see equating dunkels with milds, yeah- it's the malt-forward crusher that plays yin to the crisper, hoppier pilsner/pale ale yang (or something). also, it's a true lager, whereas a dunkelweiss is basically dark hefe. it doesn't help that German beer styles are mad regional and "dunkel" simply means "dark," so depending on where you are that order could get you a bunch of different beers.

sure, but i grew up in Norfolk and lol

Yeah I do not miss the 757 very much at all. There's a bunch of good breweries that popped up on the peninsula after I left but that's really all it's got going for it. That and maybe the Norva but I don't even go to shows anymore so :shrug:

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

danbanana posted:

The beers from the beer movement have been good. But the German beer is the best!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I'll be in Wisconsin in the next couple weeks.

Any particular beers or breweries that are really great up there? I don't know anything about their scene.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Any particular beers or breweries that are really great up there? I don't know anything about their scene.

New Glarus is one I will always recommend. You don't search them out for hazy ipa or stouts but more just well crafted lager and wheat beer. They don't excite everyone but I really love when ever I have the chance to get their beers and they only sell in Wisconsin. A massive feat considering the size they are.
For more hype type beer Funk Factory?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
the goontrade i made for Funk Factory was very much worth it.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Funk Factory, Central Waters, Octopi and New Glarus are the top ones to check out. I've also heard good things about 1840 but haven't had any of their stuff. Untitled Art and Humbleforager (Forager's new offshoot brand) have Octopi do their mass brewing for them so you can get their stuff in Wisconsin, fwiw.

There are a bunch of really solid second tier breweries but those are more location dependent.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Kosher man posted:

New Glarus is one I will always recommend. You don't search them out for hazy ipa or stouts but more just well crafted lager and wheat beer. They don't excite everyone but I really love when ever I have the chance to get their beers and they only sell in Wisconsin. A massive feat considering the size they are.
For more hype type beer Funk Factory?

This is perfect. I don't drink a lot of stouts or ipas in the spring.

Thanks for the recommendations, all.

Apache
May 11, 2004

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Funk Factory, Central Waters, Octopi and New Glarus are the top ones to check out. I've also heard good things about 1840 but haven't had any of their stuff. Untitled Art and Humbleforager (Forager's new offshoot brand) have Octopi do their mass brewing for them so you can get their stuff in Wisconsin, fwiw.

There are a bunch of really solid second tier breweries but those are more location dependent.

We did the WI trip last year.
1840 was probably the best of Milwaukee, but they have weekend only hours, so if the Milwaukee part of your trip doesn't fall on the weekend you're out of luck. Others that stood out there were Vennture(all solid beers and also a coffee shop) and Eagle Park, the MKE brewpub was okay, nothing too special.
The New Glarus brewery was cool, Just note that there is zero cell reception there on the major carriers, so make sure you cache your google maps ahead of time. If you do happen to be in New Glarus when they're open, I would greatly recommend the Cow and Quince, great breakfast/brunch food. Glarner Stube was good for lunch.
In Madison there was a bit more variety in food/beer selections. Funk Factory had really good stuff if you're into sours, Ale Asylum was ok, a large selection of styles.

Apache fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 27, 2020

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Apache posted:

I would greatly recommend the Cow and Quince, great breakfast/brunch food.

No poo poo: the breakfast I had here was the best I've ever had. It's one of the reasons why getting back to the NG area is high on my post-COVID list.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
Do yourself a favor and get strawberry rhubarb from new glarus

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Bruery White Chocolate bourbon aged ale was delicious and hosed up my GUTs the next day.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

shovelbum posted:

Quadheitsgebot

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://revbrew.com/beer/small-batch-cans/little-dreamer

I didn't see this announced but a Piece/Rev collab on a regular-rear end pale ale is something I want.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

Ah, Conch. I had their Heritage XB last year and it was lovely.

Speaking of oversweet bad milkshake IPAs, I had Northern Monk's Tropical World last night and I actually really enjoyed it even though it's a perfect example of an oversweet milkshake IPA :p

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/ModistBrewing/status/1266219334352994304

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

"please don't loot us!"

(not throwing shade, just not trying to get too political in the beer thread)

V ha, not a quick enough edit

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 29, 2020

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

"please don't loot us!"

oof.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

funkybottoms posted:

"please don't loot us!"

Actually no, Modist is pretty rad and is donating all of their proceeds from last week through the end of the month to charities. They were also the only brewery to stay open and offer free beer/water/food to anybody who is associating with the protests at all. Every other downtown or southside brewery completely shut their doors at about 5 pm.

A few other breweries are doing similar things but they're all well away from where protests will be happening.

I'll stop now, I'm just quite proud of what Modist is doing and have a few friends on the brewing staff. East Lake, a brewery not too far from the 3rd precinct, was the quickest to offer it's support and condemnation of the police

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

"please don't loot us!"

I considered the political aspect but decided "we can't say we'll get you a beer but we'll get you a beer *WINK* *WINK*" line was thread-worthy. I apologize if it does dust anything up.

I checked out their site and LOL they look lovely to me product-wise but I'm not hip to what the social justice lovin' kids are drinking these days.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

They seem like a great brewery. I ordered a shirt and glass from them when I saw this yesterday. Not much, but something to show support from CA.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Zam posted:

They seem like a great brewery. I ordered a shirt and glass from them when I saw this yesterday. Not much, but something to show support from CA.

I had one beer from them and it was good

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I feel like even if beer isn't thread worthy, 90% of the time now the only undrinkable or even unpleasant ones will be failures to milkshake or whatever. An unremarkable neighborhood brewery should be able to deliver a lot of fine drinking beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

shovelbum posted:

I feel like even if beer isn't thread worthy, 90% of the time now the only undrinkable or even unpleasant ones will be failures to milkshake or whatever. An unremarkable neighborhood brewery should be able to deliver a lot of fine drinking beer.

I agree with this! It definitely seems more noteworthy when a brewery is outright bad these days. I just look at Modist's list and 80% of those beers I would never order unless I had no other choices.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

What a time to be alive.

It’s crazy to remember what it was like 8 or 10 years ago and how different things are.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ive had plenty of garbo local beers! Well...maybe meh beers then straight garbo. Also, I'm pretty biased about my beers. SO alot of things I consider meh are prob delicious to everyone else.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The sheer number of breweries in Oregon means there's gonna be some awful ones, and there are a whole bunch of those. Fortunately, most places I'm going to keep Breakside Pilsner on all the time, so there's always an out.

Anyway, here's the pick up for today. It's been 85+ the last few days, and that Baerlic Chill has been perfect. There were only 2 of those North Dakota double hazys left, so I figured I'd try them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Actually no, Modist is pretty rad and is donating all of their proceeds from last week through the end of the month to charities. They were also the only brewery to stay open and offer free beer/water/food to anybody who is associating with the protests at all. Every other downtown or southside brewery completely shut their doors at about 5 pm.

A few other breweries are doing similar things but they're all well away from where protests will be happening.

I'll stop now, I'm just quite proud of what Modist is doing and have a few friends on the brewing staff. East Lake, a brewery not too far from the 3rd precinct, was the quickest to offer it's support and condemnation of the police

don't worry, i'm a total libtard cuck snowflake and i work at a brewery that supports social justice causes, so i fully support them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
As I was writing up a post about how Brouwerij West Milk stout is possibly my new favorite milk stout ever, my beer delivery of Crolwers filled with Oatmeal Stout from 3Punks brewery got delivered at the same time!

Beer delivery owns! The future is now!!!