Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

yeah but you're not gonna get that from tlou2

Not my place to decide that for other people since taken to its logical extension there's probably some goon out there who thinks they're above every single story ever told or that ever will be told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Naughty Dog, if you act like giant babies I definitely will not be more motivated to buy your games thanks

Signed,
Someone who beat tlou 7 times lmao

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Mandrel posted:

do you think the guy who found this thread found it combing through search results for TLOU2 leaks as part of the most soul sucking job of all time or do you figure it's a poster who's a ND employee and also a gigantic baby

Most likely scraping websites for links to the leaked videos which probably popped up in a post here somewhere.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can they actually do anything or is it just a threatening looking email?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I can't stop imagining the new female? lead of last of us 2 coming after somethingawful after killing both joel and girl character.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Do I need to spoiler that because theres like 5 youtube videos per day being made that talk about this explicitly and really its clogging up my youtube recommendations at this point.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

exquisite tea posted:

Not my place to decide that for other people since taken to its logical extension there's probably some goon out there who thinks they're above every single story ever told or that ever will be told.

greetings

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

its clogging up my youtube recommendations at this point.

that sounds like a personal problem

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Tenzarin posted:

blah blah a-bloo spoiler culture

Might wanna have a gander at thread rules.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

exquisite tea posted:

we should have a story understanding thunderdome, if a goon can go undefeated then they have the right to spoil anything they want

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yes, fresh reminder that I will still probe for spoilers that aren't tagged.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Yes, fresh reminder that I will still probe for spoilers that aren't tagged.

can't believe the muto legal team has already infiltrated our IKs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm sorry, they paid me off with money

My one weakness

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

we should have a story understanding thunderdome, if a goon can go undefeated then they have the right to spoil anything they want

im ready to compete

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Can they actually do anything or is it just a threatening looking email?

It's a bland rear end proforma letter, the friendly ones look threatening.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Leonard J. Crabs stirs in his outhouse, woken from his long slumber.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
In a stunning display of maturity in videogame writing The Last Of Us 2 will be forty five hours of stamping people's beloved pet dogs to death and at the end the main character will turn to face the player and say "You were the real monster all along" cue fade to black and a somber cover of What Is Love

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Stux posted:

im ready to compete

I'm putting on my stux Jersey and big foam finger

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm putting on my stux Jersey and big foam finger

it's a jersey with a big turd on it

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

How did the spoiler thread that doesn’t allow open posting about spoilers get a takedown notice lol

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Really though I had no interest in this game because the first one ended perfectly but because naughty dog somehow messed up a video game sequel they shouldn't had made in the first place, has really hosed up my youtube recommendations. Like I'm not interested in your game or how awful the story sounds but there is most likely a new youtube about this games awful story with them replacing the main two characters being made right now and another is being made when someone read this post.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

If I remember correctly the descent into madness in Spec Ops was also reflected in the mechanics, where your squadmates would listen to your commands less and less until eventually they refused to follow your orders. Even if I thought some parts of Spec Ops were hamfisted, that's good poo poo.

yeah. spec ops deserves a remaster someday. also mafia 3 has a loving ton of same themes as TLOU2 and does them pretty loving well. plus your basicaly vietnam era punisher murdering Klansmen and southeners/mafia fuckheads in the 60s. also loving killer soundtrack. loving buy it. its also not pretentious bullshit like loving indie fillms meet liveleak the game.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 26, 2020

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Mafia 3 signs of the times dlc was pretty much also the same premise as the watchmen season 1. Also the questline for John Donovan, or was that his frame story, was tight as gently caress and the ending of it was so good.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 26, 2020

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. spec ops deserves a remaster someday. also mafia 3 has a loving ton of same themes as TLOU2 and does them pretty loving well. plus your basicaly vietnam era punisher murdering Klansmen and southeners/mafia fuckheads in the 60s. also loving killer soundtrack. loving buy it. its also not pretentious bullshit like loving indie fillms meet liveleak the game.

Mafia 3 is a horrible game and shame on you.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I cleaned up New Bordeaux and rebuilt the fair grounds. I was a fair but tough kingpin? Mafia, were they really a mafia? It was like just 5 people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Mafia 3 signs of the times dlc was pretty much also the same premise as the watchmen season 1. Also the questline for John Donovan, or was that his frame story, was tight as gently caress and the ending of it was so good.

all the endings were satisfying outside the obvious bad choice ending which worked.

Ham posted:

Mafia 3 is a horrible game and shame on you.

no its not.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

exquisite tea posted:

Sometimes the act of getting wrapped up in a really involving story is itself enjoyable and that's somewhat ruined when you unwittingly find out the ending in advance. This isn't a particularly recent or unrelatable phenomenon.

The only reason "spoiler culture" has become such a thing is because the modern internet allows such instant dissemination of information that it's much easier to just tell millions of people the ending to a movie that has been out for 2 hours than it was in past decades. Even in the early 2000s it's not like some dingus posting about the ending to Attack of the Clones on a message board with 200 members was going to do much. But now someone can have that information aglorithmically shoved down their throat when they use any social media site.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

I cleaned up New Bordeaux and rebuilt the fair grounds. I was a fair but tough kingpin? Mafia, were they really a mafia? It was like just 5 people.

i assume its more of a coalition of criminals rather than an out and out mafia. least depending on the ending.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Peacoffee posted:

How did the spoiler thread that doesn’t allow open posting about spoilers get a takedown notice lol

VG and I had a discussion about setting up the thread, and the rules surrounding it, and the threat of legal action was always at the back of my mind; which is why the rules are so strict on :filez: related stuff.

It's actually bemusing to actually see happen, as there's nothing here to really take down.. other than l.. like.. talking about the leak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The only reason "spoiler culture" has become such a thing is because the modern internet allows such instant dissemination of information that it's much easier to just tell millions of people the ending to a movie that has been out for 2 hours than it was in past decades. Even in the early 2000s it's not like some dingus posting about the ending to Attack of the Clones on a message board with 200 members was going to do much. But now someone can have that information aglorithmically shoved down their throat when they use any social media site.

On the other hand Snape Kills Dumbledore.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lurdiak posted:

The only reason "spoiler culture" has become such a thing is because the modern internet allows such instant dissemination of information that it's much easier to just tell millions of people the ending to a movie that has been out for 2 hours than it was in past decades. Even in the early 2000s it's not like some dingus posting about the ending to Attack of the Clones on a message board with 200 members was going to do much.

It is really annoying that youtube's algorithm can somehow find 3 seconds of an unlicensed song to take down within minutes of it being published yet can't seem to block spoilerific titles from entering your recommended feed the second a game or Netflix series goes live.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Sometimes the act of getting wrapped up in a really involving story is itself enjoyable and that's somewhat ruined when you unwittingly find out the ending in advance. This isn't a particularly recent or unrelatable phenomenon.

the only time i got legit mad at spoilers was the batman arkham origins game but even that legit showed its hand from the beginning so it wasnt much of a spoiler. the story like this sounds dumb but so where the uncharted games but they were fun and well told for the most part(4 was up its own rear end too much but lost legacy was better) i may very well pick this up since all the game i am hyped for are at least 2 or 3 or more months out. the big issue i am gonna have is probaly the same issue i had with uncharted 4. where the characters and story went super duper introspective in a mixed bag way and this will be similar.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Songbearer posted:

In a stunning display of maturity in videogame writing The Last Of Us 2 will be forty five hours of stamping people's beloved pet dogs to death and at the end the main character will turn to face the player and say "You were the real monster all along" cue fade to black and a somber cover of What Is Love
the mod said to tag spoilers, op

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

exquisite tea posted:

It is really annoying that youtube's algorithm can somehow find 3 seconds of an unlicensed song to take down within minutes of it being published yet can't seem to block spoilerific titles from entering your recommended feed the second a game or Netflix series goes live.

I think it could do that but people getting loving pissed off "drives engagement".

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exquisite tea posted:

the words 'spoiled' and 'ruined' are pretty severe imo is the thing, its like complianing that someone ruined the peanut butter by opening it before you got to it. I WAS GOING TO MAKE THE FIRST SCOOP DAMMIT HENRY why are you like this

tbc in this scenario henry may be a dick but you still have a basically full jar of peanut butter

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

sebmojo posted:

the words 'spoiled' and 'ruined' are pretty severe imo is the thing, its like complianing that someone ruined the peanut butter by opening it before you got to it. I WAS GOING TO MAKE THE FIRST SCOOP DAMMIT HENRY why are you like this

tbc in this scenario henry may be a dick but you still have a basically full jar of peanut butter

a better analogy would be having a secret santa or something, someone finding out what gift you were going to get, then telling you while being real smug about it

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

sebmojo posted:

idgaf about peanut butter or spoilers but if henry fucks up that first scoop of nutella with the little star swirl in the middle? I'm hyperventilating

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I feel sorry that Lowtax has to deal with legal bullshit because the wannabe Hollywood director who drove all the talent out of his studio forgot what gameplay is and has nothing to rely on for his game except the story which probably isn't going to be good because The Road never got a sequel he could plagiarize. At least this mess gave us the comedy of promo material excitedly talking about how revolutionary the inclusion of a jump button is.

I'm also really bummed that they took multiplayer out the game but then again it would probably be pay-to-win like the first game again so it's no loss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sebmojo posted:

It's not really the same.

Movies/books/films/whatever are structured in certain ways in order to draw out certain emotions and feelings.A good portion of those rely on surprising a viewer or enticing them with a mystery. Pre-spoiling a story *without* designing the story around that can end up creating pacing problems because the film is trying to hint at something the audience member already knows.

That doesn't mean an enjoyable film can't still be enjoyable (or else we'd never rewatch films) but the impact of a surprise absolutely influences how people tend to remember their first experience. The art of creating a story also inherently involves finding ways to entice and bait the audience. Removing that from someone's experience can absolutely lessen how they view the story or characters. If you know a character is going to die it becomes harder to get attached to them and in turn lessens the impact of their death. (It can add a greek tragedy 'seeing the unavoidable' coming but that again depends on the story.)

This also carries along for video games for a variety of reasons. For example if I say "Oh yeah, Aerith, she dies at the end of disc 1, don't use her" it's good game advice but it inherently works against the intended design of the game where Aerith is basically tailor-designed to slot into your party as a useful character so that when she dies her absence is felt more.

A well-crafted story is designed to work both on a blind experience AND a reread. Being spoiled doesn't mean you can't enjoy the reread part of it but it does mean you can't get the blind experience part which tends to be one of the most memorable aspects for a lot of people. Not everyone cares about that experience but the major difference here is that someone who cares to spoil themselves can do so with little effort but anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled has to effectively beg people not to be assholes for at least a couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Oh yea this is the part of the last of us ending I thought just made it perfect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoZeHxRZmTU&t=269s