Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hell, they might have been making poo poo up whole-cloth, we don't know. The Elders are loving monsters, if you've noticed from the gene slavery, so I wouldn't put it past them to just make up a reason for their poo poo whole-cloth.

Also Anything they did was going to fail anyway, considering how one of the big things of nu-xcom is 'teamwork makes the dream work' and the elders are infamously lovely at that, which is why you beat their rear end so thoroughly in 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Grapplejack posted:

Also Anything they did was going to fail anyway, considering how one of the big things of nu-xcom is 'teamwork makes the dream work' and the elders are infamously lovely at that, which is why you beat their rear end so thoroughly in 2

Case in point, the Chosen themselves. The Elders could have ordered the Chosen to work together to bring the Commander back, but instead set the three of them against each other by making it a contest with the promise of ruling over what's left of the Earth after they're done with it as the prize. And while the Chosen are notoriously uncooperative with each other, we've also seen that the Elders are fully capable of forcing them to obey. If the three of them had bothered to actually cooperate and work together, it's entirely possible they would have had the Commander recaptured and XCOM decisively wiped out within a month. Instead, the Assassin is now permanently out of the picture, and her brothers will soon be following her. "A home that's cut in half usually falls over," and all that.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Chuu posted:

I really dislike endings that are blatantly setting up a sequel like this. Any news on XCom 3, or where they were planning on going with this?

Not as far as I know. I found the whole DragonBall "you may have defeated me, but actually there is an even bigger, more powerful villain waiting in the wings" beat to be especially annoying in X-Com 2 because they really do a good job (at least in vanilla where you have a lot fewer tools to deal with the Avatar bar) selling that your victory is a very close-run thing, and it is not sealed until the very last moment. You have to claw your way up against what feel like huge odds, and the last fight of the last level is incredibly tense the first time you do it. Snapping straight into "LAMO your victory means nothing, you didn't actually win anything" is just a dick move. Dammit Jake, let me enjoy this for a second.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The only official followup to XCOM2 is the super optimistic world of Chimera Squad, so there's that at least.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kw0134 posted:

The only official followup to XCOM2 is the super optimistic world of Chimera Squad, so there's that at least.

I or someone else could do an LP of that when this is over.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 26, 2020

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Man, I'm chomping at the bit to talk about my thoughts on the Elders and what they're doing. But this thread is already beginning to look like a declassified CIA document, so I'll wait until more has been revealed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hope FairGame is okay. :ohdear:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Xelkelvos posted:

I hope FairGame is okay. :ohdear:

I'm not. Need some time off; I'll get back to this in due time.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 23, 2021

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

FairGame posted:

I'm not. Need some time off; I'll get back to this in due time.

I'm sorry to hear that, man. I hope things get better for you soon!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Ouch. I hope things pick up for you.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Ugh, sorry dude, take care of yourself.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Take your time, fair.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Just gonna make sure this doesn't fall into archives. Probably not updating for a while. I'll finish when I'm able. We're deep enough in the campaign that it'd be a shame not to.

I hope all of you are safe and well.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

FairGame posted:

Just gonna make sure this doesn't fall into archives. Probably not updating for a while. I'll finish when I'm able. We're deep enough in the campaign that it'd be a shame not to.

I hope all of you are safe and well.

Hope you're okay. I thought about this the other day and considered PMing you but whatever's going on you don't need strangers butting in, and however I phrased it it'd seem like a "sooo... the LP?" kind of message. The LP doesn't matter. Don't worry about it, take care of yourself.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, you've done well so far and have nothing to prove. I'm glad to see you post so I know you're (hopefully) all right - take care and stay safe.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Things IRL got extremely dumb and bad for a while. I suppose they're still dumb and bad, but I'm good and OK and want to beat up some more aliens eventually.

I still have every intention of finishing this so I might as well not let it sink into the archives.

My thanks for your patience.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Good to hear from you! Glad to hear the dumb and stupid hasn't won, at least. I'm looking forward to you resuming this LP, but definitely take your time. Would much rather you be in good shape when you pick it back up.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Likewise.

All the best from my end and look after yourself.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Just take your time Der Kommander, we'll be waiting here for when you come back.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Yeah, take your time until you feel like continuing.

But do know that at the very least your dress-up simulator kept me happily entertained for quite a while during this whole pile of dumb and bad stuff.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I'm glad that you're good and okay!

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Try to stay sane during these trying times, we'll all patiently wait for your return!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

we love you fairgame stay safe

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Take care fairgame. We all look forward to it.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

oh hi there

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Welcome back, Commander!

Delacroix and her fist-blades are ready to continue kicking some alien cops' butts.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Dancer posted:

Welcome back, Cummander!

Fixed.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Patience rewarded :angel:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

VIP missions seem so big and then you uncover 5 pods in 2 turns but what else could you come back on. Even if the lightest you've gotten off from a VIP mission lately 3 psyche wounds off of 1 stun lancer is pretty on point.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Welcome back! Hope this is a good sign that some level of normalcy has returned to your life.

Thought that VIP mission was going to be another one of . . . those missions for a bit. Have we just been getting a bit unlucky with your aggressive play-style, or are these maps really much more enemy dense than other types of missions?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Man, when you got Feedback, I didn't think it was going to amount to much. But the devastation it's brought on Codexes alone has more than paid for it.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
He's back!

Good to see the continuation of this campaign and the LP. It's definitely one of the good ones on my list.

Also take care FairGame! Glad to hear that you're OK!

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Wow, really shows how far you've come when you can engage that many enemies and come away basically untouched.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Welcome back commander.

For those of us in the peanut gallery, how far along are you in the campaign? how much of the tech tree is left to uncover? will Shen cook up any more surprises in the workshop? Are the Psychics going to come out to play?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'm basically done at this point, but the Chosen will appear on the final mission if you don't kill them beforehand.

And the final mission is...awful. It doesn't need any further additions. So we'll keep pushing until the Chosen are dead, at which point we'll finish up.

This does mean I'll probably get a base defense again--as a Dark Event, rather than a Chosen hunt. I'm extending the campaign solely to not have a ruinous final mission.

As for the psionics? Uh...I really don't know how to use them and it's entirely possible I don't trot one out until the final mission. Kind of a waste.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Welcome back, Fairgame!

I feel like part of the problem with psionic units is that the game incentivizes you to just keep them cooking in the chamber until they learn literally every ability instead of putting a limit on it that encourages you to pull them out and use them from time to time.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Yeah, I really don't get what the design concept behind the psi-soldiers was. I can kind of get the 'these are very powerful but you don't gain progress for using them' thing, kind of like the tanks in the original game or SHIVs in the remake, but those served an actual purpose as reliable but expendable anchors you could use in difficult situations but didn't need to care as much about. Psi-soldiers require a lot of investment, it's just investment in the strategy layer. And once you get the right abilities, they're absolutely broken.

I guess they just serve as sort of a late-game carry unit, where you have to invest a lot of research, then resources, then time to train, but if you do all that you end up with a space-wizard who can almost solo maps. I just feel that might run counter to the tense pace the game is otherwise trying to maintain.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
It returns! Unlike that Stun Lancer.

I guess his hot moonwalk over the back of that flatbed truck was not just too hot for overwatch, but so very hot his human teammates were distraught at his demise. God rest you, Stun Lancer, moonwalking in ADVENT Turncoat heaven.

As for Psionics, once you get a high-level Psi Operative, they are one-trooper wrecking balls. Even leaving aside mind control - not that you should - they get a suite of skills that let them gently caress up single targets Soulfire or Insanity with Schism for soft targets, Null Lance for hard targets, and Stasis for things you'd really rather not worry about this turn or multiple targets Null Lance, if you can get the positioning to work, Fuse to blow up enemy grenades for shits and giggles, or Void Rift or you could opt to help a team mate Inspire for an extra action every 4th turn, or Stasis Shield in emergencies. They are silly powerful, but completely optional.

It's great to see this LP back, and that goes for you too, FG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander