Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't get why people are bewildered by this. They are lying. It's that simple!

* The tracker has never dropped to zero dollars for one hour in the entire history of the company
* They've never bothered to account for whether or not the tracker actually incorporates the investments from their billionaire partners
* The tracker is currently completely detached from reality, showing their greatest year ever on the backs of a string of colossal failures and a global economic meltdown and widespread player rebellion
* It serves no purpose except to keep Star Citizen in the news for breaking another absurd number about once per year
* There is no independent verification of the tracker and you'd be a fool to believe anything it's telling you

I think it's far more likely that they secured another round of "Funding" from their partners and they've just upped the per-hour tick rate of the tracker to trickle it all into their big total by the end of the year. Why they do this I have no idea, except that it looks more like natural crowdfunding I guess and god forbid Chris be honest with his fans for even one minute of his miserable loving life.

If this is true and one day becomes public it is going to be truly epic to witness all the meltdowns.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Beet Wagon posted:

The "World first" Idris kill is... really something to behold. Holy poo poo there is just so much going on here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZK3DTJuvno

• Idris is invincible
  • Tactics include ramming it into atmosphere
  • That loving bonk into the terrain
  • Only way to kill the idris is by shooting through a turret hole

Just finished watching. Wow, wtf...

My favorite part (well second favorite after seeing it just balanced on its nose on the ground, twitching around) was that the only way he had to find the Idris was to be in third person mode just looking around. None of the half dozen HUD displays could tell him something as simple as "capital ship over there".

Like this mess:

You'd think that would be the scanner or something, it looks sort of like the one in ED- but it's just a mess of unlabeled dots in 2D.

Then there's this mess on the bottom:

What are those squares supposed to be? They kept jumping around randomly, and later turn into some sort of cones?

Just what? Is that intentional? A bug? With a :trustme: game you can't really tell the difference.

AAAA flight model right there...

A huge ship just sitting on its nose, bouncing around. Gravity doesn't even pull it down horizontal? Everyone just noclip hovering around it...

The whole thing is just sad.

:iiasb:

MedicineHut posted:

If this is true and one day becomes public it is going to be truly epic to witness all the meltdowns.

"It's all Amazon's fault, or Crytek's fault. Or those filthy FUD-making Goons!"

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 25, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So I can see what Star Citizen is trying to be, but it's sadly super boring.

However, even that aside, when I was walking around and looking at stuff everything seemed to be very custom. I was trying to find stuff like in a Bethesda game where they use set pieces and got them together to make stuff. And this works well for them because they can build a ton of stuff and levels.

In Star Citizen, everything seems hugely custom. I think the only pieces you can reuse would be stuff like elevators, different clutter pieces like chairs, etc.

The buildings themself did not feel like they were going to be able to be taken apart and reassembled very easily, if at all.

If this is the pipeline, where they are custom building giant swaths off levels to showcase effectively "food, a couple shops, and drink stands, along with the terminals to get your ships", tied is going to take another 20 years to get a few systems up. The size of the game (as in how much space it takes up to install and be installed) itself is probably going to start being pretty prohibitive as well.

Being able to walk around an effectively empty level and interact with the 5 or so things there is to actually do is not cool, and the whole thing just feels like a weird airport in the future based around guns. As exciting as an airport is, I'm not so sure it warrants being painstakingly detailed while also featuring almost nothing.

The extravagance is an enormous waste of time and effort, and it's very obviously hurting the game itself because quite bluntly outside of walking around, your space ship is just a 3D model you move around.

It doesn't feel like "flying", just "moving". The confusing steps you need to get to the point where WASD and space bar make you move is silly, when the climax of all that is a joke.

When I was suspended upside down and sideways in the world, wondering if I was missing something, it was no longer cool or anything. It didn't even feel like a game. It felt like a second life module somebody put together and you have to pretend to role play being a ship pilot.

The game is another 20 years or so from close to being anything. The people saying it's not for our generation are probably right. If they can fund it that long, maybe it will be something fun after 30 years in the oven.

Right now it's a cross between PlayStation home, and occasional weird features that you might find in a Quantic Dreams game or something like LA Noir where you can inspect something up close suddenly like your sandwich. The graphics look "ok", but everything is 4K or greater for no reason and it's bland in design, so despite using all the horses in your computer to render an effectively empty room, it looks boring and dull.

I hope the people supporting this enjoy themselves. They have a long, hard road ahead where I doubt the company will stay solvent long enough to finish something that works well.

I won't even talk about "fun", because nothing about this game seems to be designed with "fun" as a core value. They modeled life to the point where it's pretty boring to play, and far less interesting and interactive. The initial wank pod gives you a taste of something that ends immediately after you walk out of the door.

Of course, as soon as you walk out you start getting tutorials on how to kill people as well, which you can't even do at that point. I'm not sure who is making the game, testing the game, or who the target audience in outside of people who miss PlayStation home.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 25, 2020

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Titanic posted:

So I can see what Star Citizen is trying to be, but it's sadly super boring.

However, even that aside, when I was walking around and looking at stuff everything seemed to be very custom. I was trying to find stuff like in a Bethesda game where they use set pieces and got them together to make stuff. And this works well for them because they can build a ton of stuff and levels.

In Star Citizen, everything seems hugely custom. I think the only pieces you can reuse would be stuff like elevators, different clutter pieces like chairs, etc.

They put an enormous amount of effort into the art assets for the "City" levels on the planets but the second you step outside of those, everything is copy-pasted to hell and back. The procgen biomes vary from each other, but within a given biome every tree/bush looks identical. The space stations have the same problem, the interior is the exact same room/corridor set with slightly different connectivity on each station making them hugely confusing to navigate. All of the procgen "Field stations' on the planets are made from the same 6 or so modular buildings and landing pads as well.

I would say the re-use of stuff is just as poorly done as the attention to detail inside the big areas- it's fine for things like terrain, but as you get closer to areas the player is going to experience "On foot" the attention to unique detail should increase. If I get out at a field station I want to see some landmark or something that identifies it- there are only a dozen per planet, surely some time could be put in at this level or at least they could be located in interesting terrain? But no. They're just plopped down wherever and if you've seen one you've seen them all.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

that's all really well put, titanic. I'm going to keep trying until I manage to get in a ship and fly down to the surface of a planet and walk around, I think. That seems a reasonable goal.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I think you're totally right about how sad and poorly thought out it all is, though. More and more I'm thinking about what I'd want a game like Star Citizen to be, and man I just don't know anymore. I don't think it can be anything. They've hosed the travel times up so badly that it can't really be a good trading game. The flight model sucks so much that it will never be a compelling dogfighter. The UI and multicrew interfaces are so broken that you can't even conceive of an interesting ship-to-ship fleet battle. There's nothing to really explore and no benefit to doing so, so all the huge planets and cities are basically just there for some quick screenshots.

I feel like if you broke the assets up there are 3 or 4 interesting games to be had. I'd legitimately enjoy a planetary-scale Theaters of War, with polish and good netcode and good UI, and battles raging from a big fleet all the way down to ground level, with all the vehicles unlocked and equipped in the same way that Planetside does it (maybe without the pay-to-not-grind boosters, please).

I'd also enjoy a modern freelancer clone where the planets are all just cutscene-loads to a quick menu, and most of the game is played out in space, and you never exit your ship except to buy or move into a different one.

I'd also enjoy a weird deep-space exploration game where you only had one ship but you could EVA out of of it to explore old wrecks and derelicts and solve mysteries.

These all sound great! But they all work because they limit the scope of what the game has to handle, where the detail needs to be and what the player needs to focus on. Star Citizen just goes "Oh yeah sure we'll do all of that" and then trips on a banana peel and falls into a pile of dog poop.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I briefly flew down to a random part of Hurston to check out what the landscapes looked like. I landed an when I tried to get out j couldn't figure out how to leave my seat and ejected myself and died. But from the short flying at low ground level I did it looked very boring and like Sarsapariller said it's just copy pasted.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bumble He posted:

if they pumped investor money into the tracker it would be clear fraud/deception.

and pretty funny.

Pretty sure the faithful would absolve Chris of any wrongdoing and explain it away by saying "Well, Calder is a backer as well!"

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

I never get the interesting train bugs. I wonder if they're related to your having the game on an HDD instead of an SSD? That's what is causing most of your lag and stuttering by the way- the game thrashes the hard drive worse than anything else I've played. But I can't imagine why trains would have anything to do with client side issues.

The NPC's totally lacking any animation seems to have happened some time in the last big patch. Previously they'd at least walk around and do idle animations. I wonder if this was CIG's "Solution" to them constantly janking into furniture- just turn off the pathing entirely? Doesn't seem to have worked, if so.

Its on SSD. I especially made space this time round after the previous time of suffering through installing it on a regular drive.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
What is even the point of the ejector seats? I ejected in space and ended up so far from my ship I could never realistically get back to it. It sounds like everyone who ejected in an atmosphere just died. Why is this an option you are given?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

* The tracker has never dropped to zero dollars for one hour in the entire history of the company

There are a number of red flags around the tracker, but this one is just the killer for me. CIG state that the tracker is pledges only, it doesn't include anything else, not even subscriptions.

So, they are claiming that for approximately 70,000 hours there has not been a single hour where someone didn't pledge for a spaceship or base game package.

Not even during those periods where backer confidence was low.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Super-Id posted:

Why is this an option you are given?

Chris watched Top Gun one day and then rushed into the office the next day to demand ejector seats be added.

This sort of thing is how you can explain a majority of the design decisions in Star Ctizen.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
SC is actually lookin real good, couple of kinks to work out with train doors still of course, but the graphics and animations are not half bad

https://i.imgur.com/HLkgGsr.mp4

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Quavers posted:

Also no sign of that Squadron 42 video :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/1KB9Uoe.mp4

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Have they said anything about Mark Hammil, Gary Oldman, or Gilean Anderson lately?

I can't imagine how they'll shoehorn in all that old footage they have of them. Or if they even have the rights to use any of it anymore.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Agony Aunt posted:

There are a number of red flags around the tracker, but this one is just the killer for me. CIG state that the tracker is pledges only, it doesn't include anything else, not even subscriptions.

So, they are claiming that for approximately 70,000 hours there has not been a single hour where someone didn't pledge for a spaceship or base game package.

Not even those periods where the loving store was offline!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Agony Aunt posted:

Its on SSD. I especially made space this time round after the previous time of suffering through installing it on a regular drive.

Well poo poo I've got no idea then, do you live next to a copper mine or something?

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Sarsapariller posted:

Waaaaait a second..... Something doesn't seem right about this, but I can't figure out what...............

Is Star Citizen so popular that CIG has to take the store offline to sell ships for cash in secret meetings only for select backers, to leave time for the in-game NPCs to manufacture new ships, yet still updating the tracker because of Chris' unbreakable honesty and integrity? It's the only plausible explanation

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 26, 2020

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ggangensis posted:

That's pretty unfidelitous. I would have expected that they coded in proper train safety, like track vacancy detection, proper interlocking, signals and such. I feel ripped off!

Actually trains showing up late for no good reason is the true fidelity.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

That's the most obvious indication that this entire enterprise is engaging in fraudulent representation to maintain backer optimism over funding. The busiest streets on the entire planet still have times where there are no cars on them, if only for a minute. Not only are they lying, they're too stupid to make their lying look organic. Then again, considering how swamp-hick level stupid their backers actually are, for all we know they would consider a single hour without a pledge as a sign of doom. If nothing else CIG knows their audience, despite not being 100% sure of their species. The tracker lie might be the only truly optimized system this company has ever poo poo out.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Either the tracker is lying or it isn’t and honestly both options are hysterical

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't get why people are bewildered by this. They are lying. It's that simple!

* They've never bothered to account for whether or not the tracker actually incorporates the investments from their billionaire partners
* The tracker is currently completely detached from reality, showing their greatest year ever on the backs of a string of colossal failures and a global economic meltdown and widespread player rebellion
* It serves no purpose except to keep Star Citizen in the news for breaking another absurd number about once per year
* There is no independent verification of the tracker and you'd be a fool to believe anything it's telling you

I think it's far more likely that they secured another round of "Funding" from their partners and they've just upped the per-hour tick rate of the tracker to trickle it all into their big total by the end of the year. Why they do this I have no idea, except that it looks more like natural crowdfunding I guess and god forbid Chris be honest with his fans for even one minute of his miserable loving life.

I could never completely believe it, and I always thought that they manipulated it in various ways including putting in investment money; but now it has to be an outright lie to keep up confidence. There is no way that they’re on track to make 100 million dollars this year, it’s absolutely absurd. We’re in the middle of an unprecedented health and economic crisis, CIG has absolutely no progress to show for itself, there is no new marketing or hot new JPEG, and backers are on the verge of rebellion.

But as always, all we have are guesses at their real financial situation. CIG could close its doors tomorrow and we’d have virtually no warning.

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018
Serious question: was "pledge store" ever offline? I mean apart from Kickstarter failure.

if so you just make me believe that tracker is there for backers confidence only.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

do you think crobbers with his lack of business acumen blew a few (multiple) millions on hiring the bigshot actors?
wouldnt it be funny if those took a considerable chunk of money that could be used for development

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Agony Aunt posted:

Hello fellow FUDsters. I'm here to spread FUD by posting a FUD video of my experience playing during the free fly.

None of what you are about to see is real. Its clearly FUD made to generate FUD and not a true representation of the game since backers report that they can play no problem. Its probably all my fault, the game is alpha, and its probably not for me.

Also, spent over an hour in free fly and didn't get to fly once... well, except in a rather unexpected way, as you will see at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_AkB5cRWC0

Add some silly music to it and this is basically "Buggy Saints Row: The Musical" for the 2020s.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sarsapariller posted:

When I played on Friday my computer was putting out heat so hard that I thought I'd left my space heater on. Like, wafts of hot air blowing across my face even though the box is 4 or 5 feet away. I cut it off at 2 hours because I was genuinely worried about my computer.

It felt grief?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Inacio posted:

do you think crobbers with his lack of business acumen blew a few (multiple) millions on hiring the bigshot actors?
wouldnt it be funny if those took a considerable chunk of money that could be used for development

Bootcha broke it down in detail in his second to last Sunk Coast Galaxy video. But, yeah Chris spent multiple millions on the MoCap shoot in London with all of those big actors, and it all came out of the early crowdfunding.

Then according to rumors, they’ve had huge issues trying to get all of that motion capture into the game, and it’s been a giant sink of time and money for years now.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 26, 2020

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Sarsapariller posted:

I'd also enjoy a weird deep-space exploration game where you only had one ship but you could EVA out of of it to explore old wrecks and derelicts and solve mysteries.

Oh man if you haven't played Outer Wilds yet do I have a treat for you

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

has this incredibly poorly voiced fan film been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyGXWvPHejs

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

sebmojo posted:

that's all really well put, titanic. I'm going to keep trying until I manage to get in a ship and fly down to the surface of a planet and walk around, I think. That seems a reasonable goal.

Good luck, friend!

Namaste!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Inacio posted:

That was how he blew the first several million dollar windfall. He assumed the game was a foregone conclusion and just went apeshit in the motion capture studio, pretending to be a director, with no ideas of how any of it could be used in a game because he has no idea what he's doing. Getting those actors in front of him was his, and Sandi's, entire goal. It happened so long ago now that it was before I even heard of the project. It's weird to think that the motion capture poo poo happened as long ago as it did, but it's the truth - I still sort of believe the rumors that none of that footage is even usable. Not that I'll ever get the opportunity to know for sure.

What a roller-coaster ride this has been. I remember when Chris pivoted to the whole "SQ42 out any minute and those sales will fund the PU" which was what, how many years ago now? And no SQ42 in sight, nor the video explaining why it's not in sight, nor the video explaining the first explanation video.

But it's all OK because they spawned a hollow paper-mache "capital ship" on the server and that proves everything is real. Just like Chris says: if you can see the pixels on your screen, then a game is there too.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 26, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:

Star Citizen: I've been played for years

My friends who were on the fence are disillusioned!

#NOTACULT

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ok so after spending 20 minutes falling to my death I managed to get a train that would take me to the spaceport without making me fall to my death. when I got there, there were no space ships for me to fly - the vehicle retrieval console was blank.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

:reddit: posted:

Imagine, being able to purchase materials to create a product that can be sold, and that can work in the verse.

There can be simple in game coding chunks that players can create for their tech. Like psuedocode but really easy, that can instruct your built up tech to execute.

OMG never been done before. Unless you count the many games over the history of gaming where it has, in fact been done before.

Like Second Life. And before that, various MOOs/MUSEs in the early 1990s. And if we throw out the "sold to other players" part then we can go back to OMEGA in 1989, developed by a little company you may have heard of called "Origin".

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

sebmojo posted:

ok so after spending 20 minutes falling to my death I managed to get a train that would take me to the spaceport without making me fall to my death. when I got there, there were no space ships for me to fly - the vehicle retrieval console was blank.

FiChris Robertsdelity

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

Hold on.... CIG actually had the store offline?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Oh, man, can't wait for any backers who were keeping themselves away until the project was further along in terms of progress, to return to check on it only to discover they now get glitchy pre-alpha Second Life on a few boring planets.

ok, let's go back to KickStarter comments:

A Superbacker posted:

I invoke my rights under Kickstarter's Terms of Use:

https://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use/oct2012

"Project Creators are required to fulfill all rewards of their successful fundraising campaigns or refund any Backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill."

I demand a full refund for my pledge amount.
This is fine

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AbstractNapper posted:

Oh, man, can't wait for any backers who were keeping themselves away until the project was further along in terms of progress, to return to check on it only to discover they now get glitchy pre-alpha Second Life on a few boring planets.

ok, let's go back to KickStarter comments:

This is fine

Man, those comments are salty as hell.

No idea if KS allows refunds like that poster is wanting, but i'm sure CR will simply say that their money has already been spent (while failing to understand that money is fungible) and that they have already released the game.

One funny quote, 3 months old, already hasn't aged well.

quote:

It is not a scam.

It’s already playable and has so much to do in it despite of being an alpha.

The development is more than transparent with regularly updated roadmaps:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/2-Squadron-42

Ah yes, the roadmaps....

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HorseBodyInspector posted:

Serious question: was "pledge store" ever offline? I mean apart from Kickstarter failure.

if so you just make me believe that tracker is there for backers confidence only.

I believe it was, when the whole site crashed because of AWS (and pledge store is simply part of the site), you can probably find more events like this.

One simple event, on Reddit people reported the site down and the game down:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/01/aws_outage/
Hourly tracker:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1089787357

I believe the outage was supposedly around 2300 (1500 PDT to 2300 UTC+1), albeit not for the whole hour. But there is no sign of that, the income is basically linear throughout the whole day, ~3k per hour every hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

The Titanic posted:

The non existent flight model is really a sight to behold.

Imagine making a game about flying space ships, and after nearly a decade and $300M you don't have one, but you can really walk around good on the ground in FPS.

....wait, did they finally get walking around to work? I would've guessed that stairs were still lethal.

It's definitely an AAAA game now, time to buy that Idris, I guess.