Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'd go one step further and say the DC2 ITR is the perfect FWD performance template that hasn't been bettered.

I don't know if they released it in any other market but the Mazda Protege MP3 was really good for suspension tuning, along with the followup Mazdaspeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

smooth jazz posted:

Any middle aged car enthusiast will look at the rubber bands they call tyres and recoil in horror at the tradeoff in ride quality.

I have my doubts on that - they probably wont even bother to think about it.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I have my doubts on that - they probably wont even bother to think about it.

I know the first thing I do whenever I get a new car is pull off the wheels and get the smallest that will fit and stick tires with the biggest sidewall I can find on there. Gimme dat CUSHion

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Frond posted:

The Legend had nothing to do with the Accord at the time, and arguably not now. The Integra was a worked over Civic. It certainly was not a luxury car even if it was marketed as one.

Yeah, my bad. I forgot the Legend was on the platform shared with Rover. The Integra was brought over to fill out the line, and its origin in Japan was as an upmarket alternative to the Civic.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I haven’t got to ride in or drive a CTR but there’s no way on earth it’s any harsher than my FoRS.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't care about the ride of the rubber band 20s, I just care that they'll you would probably pop a tire before the first oil change (nearly every single long term review had that happen.)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The reviews have also said the ride is pretty decent considering those tires, at least in comfort mode.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bull3964 posted:

I don't care about the ride of the rubber band 20s, I just care that they'll you would probably pop a tire before the first oil change (nearly every single long term review had that happen.)

I’ve always wondered about this. I drove my Cayman on 20” wheels over awful downtown Philly streets for a year without damage. Seems like I may have been lucky?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Residency Evil posted:

I’ve always wondered about this. I drove my Cayman on 20” wheels over awful downtown Philly streets for a year without damage. Seems like I may have been lucky?

Big issue is the 245/30 tires though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Happened to me after about a year plus I broke a spoke on one of the other wheels just before 40,000 miles. It should have had 18s at the biggest for the US market.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The biggest problem with the CTR isn't the tires, or the styling, it's the nightmare hell of trying to find and buy a highly desirable rare limited production model car from a dealership

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Wheeee posted:

The biggest problem with the CTR isn't the tires, or the styling, it's the nightmare hell of trying to find and buy a highly desirable rare limited production model car from a dealership

It's not 2017 anymore, you can find CTRs on lots and dealers aren't marking them up anymore. At least in my area.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, that too. That's one of the reasons why I ended up with the Golf R (aside from just slightly too little equipment on the CTR), trying to get a CTR would have been an ordeal when I was able to just walk up and test drive and buy a Golf R at pretty much invoice.

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's not 2017 anymore, you can find CTRs on lots and dealers aren't marking them up anymore. At least in my area.

Markups and dealer bullshit were still very much in play during mid 2019 when I was looking to buy.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 26, 2020

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I've only drive a Golf R briefly but I think it had 235/35s on and didn't ride any better than a CTR.

As for the CTR I like the exterior but the interior is a bit much - not the R specific bits but the basic Civic layout

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

Holy LOL that's literally two inches less sidewall than my Forester XT's 225/55s.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

dissss posted:

I've only drive a Golf R briefly but I think it had 235/35s on and didn't ride any better than a CTR.

As for the CTR I like the exterior but the interior is a bit much - not the R specific bits but the basic Civic layout

it's maybe a bit angular, but what's wrong with the basic civic layout? seems pretty straightforward to me especially compared to prior generations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I actually really liked the Civic (Sport MT) layout, what I didn't like was the quality of materials. Very cheap lovely carpeting and seat material, and the plastics weren't much better than what was in my 2012 Scion.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I hope y'all are talking about the Ruf CTR :colbert:

Not particularly new but a car I like.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Holy poo poo. The tires on my m3 are balloons compared to that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's maybe a bit angular, but what's wrong with the basic civic layout? seems pretty straightforward to me especially compared to prior generations.

Nothing I can really put my finger on I just don't like it. I think it's a combination of too many buttons and too much going on in the gauge cluster - made me want to get straight back into my Mazda.

On the Golf I didn't like how low down on the dashboard the screen was (although you can put nav into the main cluster which was pretty neat) but the overall effect is much cleaner.

Also I though the seats were too wide in both cars - nothing at all like the older models.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Probably nobody will care about this but since it is a new car news thread I just found out that Toyota discretely slipped AWD into their 2020 Camry. Sadly it can only be had in the 2.5L 4 Cyl model. The V6 is still a FWD car probably because the cost is already so high that you'd be hitting Lexus money if you did it that way.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

also the v6 take rate isn't high to begin with and that's yet another round of federalization

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Oddly enough that was the reason they did that the first time around with the All Trac.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Altima is available with AWD as well. A lot of current and recent midsize sedans in the US are actually available with AWD - Camry, Altima, Legacy, Fusion, old Chrysler 200, Regal...

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also the v6 take rate isn't high to begin with and that's yet another round of federalization

Why was the V6 not doing so well anyway?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Kraftwerk posted:

Nobody cares about extra power at the expense of fuel economy on a Camry.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The four-banger's got enough power to get itself out of the way and then some while making good fuel economy numbers. I'm surprised Toyota hasn't axed the V6 in favor of making the hybrid give you more off-the-line grunt like Chrysler's eTorque mild hybrid system.

Huge_Midget posted:

I seriously do not understand why Acura has not gotten their hands on the CTR and took a hot iron to all of the drat creases and lines that makes it look like a goddamn Gundam and turn it into something that doesn’t look like a meth addict’s half finished origami project. Take a car that is by all accounts a very very nice sports compact and make it palatable for the late thirties owner that has a professional career and doesn’t want a car that screams boy racer.

Someone's lost the keys to their 3-Series/A4.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

90s Solo Cup posted:

Someone's lost the keys to their 3-Series/A4.

:shrug: add me to the list of people that feels that same way about the Type R/its looks. As long as they’re selling though who cares?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Residency Evil posted:

:shrug: add me to the list of people that feels that same way about the Type R/its looks. As long as they’re selling though who cares?

More seriously it’s probably because the ctr is made in the uk and they likely don’t want to be adding any new export products on that line since the uk is busy kneecapping itself economically.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pictures of the new TLX have leaked from a presentation to Quebec dealers.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

The jump to an Avalon is not that much more from a V6 Camry, and the Avalon is a significantly nicer place to be in than the Camry. And if you would like to reward yourself with a retirement present after a life spent in Toyotas, the Lexus ES is also an option.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

Pictures of the new TLX have leaked from a presentation to Quebec dealers.

This looks like a similar type of suspension setup that's on our LS.

The car looks pretty good tho.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I get a big Giulia vibe from that rear end, in a good way. Looks decent, not too flashy, will hold up over time.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Is it my filthy mind or is that TLX center console actually really suggestive of women's anatomy?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Murgos posted:

Is it my filthy mind or is that TLX center console actually really suggestive of women's anatomy?

thats a weird lookin vulva

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I would buy that new if it came as a wagon.

Said without irony. :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

TLX looks like a Ridge Racer/Burnout version of an actual existing car.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
The new TLX looks great, but the estimated cost of $45,000 for the AWD type-s puts it in m car territory.

I’d have to see the turbo v6 numbers, I guess.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what m car are you buying for 45 grand and if you say the m235i gran coupe i will poo poo my self laughing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Murgos posted:

I have a pretty filthy mind but I'm more into titties and butts, not so much dissected ovaries and fallopian tubes in anatomy textbooks. :shrug: