Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

anakha posted:

Was AC or KH the bigger catalyst for Cloud becoming more known as a mopey emo bastard?

AC definitely. Cloud's outfit slaps tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Jetrauben posted:

I mean, possible. Wedge says he has a "feeling" that he's due for a reckoning, and it kind of makes sense if they're all seen as emanations of the Planet that they have a gut feeling of its intent.

Plus, it makes sense if the planet remembers this isn't the first time because it literally isn't. We played through the first time around already!

It's a nice touch that Aerith and Sephiroth treat having future knowledge in completely different ways too. I guess Sephiroth had it earlier, but it's fun to see how they both act and you figure out what they know. Aerith putting poo poo in your way to keep you from leaving her house was a good twist with how it was done in the original because you can't run indoors now AND it implies she knew ahead of time that Cloud was going to leave.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BaDandy posted:

Plus, it makes sense if the planet remembers this isn't the first time because it literally isn't. We played through the first time around already!

It's a nice touch that Aerith and Sephiroth treat having future knowledge in completely different ways too. I guess Sephiroth had it earlier, but it's fun to see how they both act and you figure out what they know. Aerith putting poo poo in your way to keep you from leaving her house was a good twist with how it was done in the original because you can't run indoors now AND it implies she knew ahead of time that Cloud was going to leave.

I just replayed that section going through hard mode today and...is it designed that you gently caress up at least once? With the dodgy rear end controls (at least when it comes to fine movement), I was wondering why it was basically impossible to not kick something trying to walk out.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

BaDandy posted:

Aerith putting poo poo in your way to keep you from leaving her house was a good twist with how it was done in the original because you can't run indoors now AND it implies she knew ahead of time that Cloud was going to leave.

Especially since that means she wasn't trying to actually STOP him, she was just screwing with him for shits and giggles.

... Which yeah, totally checks out

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I just replayed that section going through hard mode today and...is it designed that you gently caress up at least once? With the dodgy rear end controls (at least when it comes to fine movement), I was wondering why it was basically impossible to not kick something trying to walk out.

Got it the first try, mainly because I had an idea of what to expect and was moving the camera around as soon as I could control Cloud. Saw the bucket immediately, and took extra time to avoid it.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

AlternateNu posted:

Alt-Theory: Aerith isn't just aware of the future, she's aware she's in a game, and just wanted to gently caress with speed runners.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ace Transmuter posted:

Alt-Theory: Aerith isn't just aware of the future, she's aware she's in a game, and just wanted to gently caress with speed runners.

I can't wait to hear the commentary on this section during the eventual AGDQ run of this game.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Ace Transmuter posted:

I'm waiting for either her or Sephiroth to pull a Final Pam and escape the game's coding.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I mean in AC Cloud is dying of cancer, so...

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Gologle posted:

And Aerith is dead, and Cloud remembered that there was ANOTHER friend who died trying to protect him, who he forgot about until recently.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Gologle posted:

Plus he saved the world, yet now works as a delivery driver...

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Finally got around to beating this.

What the gently caress was that ending? What the gently caress was that final boss, even? Did we just kill Nomura?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kith posted:

What the gently caress was that ending? What the gently caress was that final boss, even? Did we just kill Nomura?

......Yes.

But seriously if it was Nomura he'd be wearing a dark concealing cloak duh.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Plus he saved the world, yet now works as a delivery driver...

Saving the world doesn't pay the bills, my friend. All he's got, skillset-wise, are sword tricks, motorcycle tricks, and hybrid sword/motorcycle tricks.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 26, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

Saving the world doesn't pay the bills, my friend. All he's got, skillet-wise, are sword tricks, motorcycle tricks, and hybrid sword/motorcycle tricks.

He is also a hell of a dancer.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ImpAtom posted:

He is also a hell of a dancer.

Well, I don't think he did back in AC, but noted.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I mean he could just go beat some Gil outta monsters, I assume there's a living wage out of grinding even the midgar outskirts mobs if staying close to home is an issue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

I mean he could just go beat some Gil outta monsters, I assume there's a living wage out of grinding even the midgar outskirts mobs if staying close to home is an issue.

Theoretically if the Mako plants are shut down they should stop seeing as many weird mutations.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Cloud has a great job option - he can just max out All materia and then sell them. Luckily there's always demand for those.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Frankly, he could have retired to a life of hedonistic luxury in Costa del Sol after purchasing the villa.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

anakha posted:

Frankly, he could have retired to a life of hedonistic luxury in Costa del Sol after purchasing the villa.

Doesn't fit his self flagellating at the time. Seriously though it'd be loving sweet if AC was rendered non-canon by the remake. Just gently caress that take they inflicted on him.

Though knowing me if I had my way the perfect ending would have him starring as the lead performer at Wall Market after getting it under new management while his husband Roche cheers him on from the crowd. HIRE ME SQUARE.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Flopsy posted:

if I had my way the perfect ending would have him co-starring with his partner Andi as the lead performers at Wall Market after getting it under new management

FTFY

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Count me in as another person who beat the game today. The final boss didn't really work for me or my wife (who has no knowledge of the original ff7), but for different reasons.

My wife didn't like it because from her perspective she has no idea who Sephiroth is or why he should be significant to this degree in the story. She understood he's gonna be a big deal, but she still doesn't really know anything about him. How does he know Cloud? Why is Shinra scared of him?

My disappointment stems mostly from Cloud rising to the occasion in the fight, despite still being an absolute wreck in the brain at this point. I know it's not THE fight, but it still looks silly that he can pull off all that he does while he's still playing pretend.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

My disappointment stems mostly from Cloud rising to the occasion in the fight, despite still being an absolute wreck in the brain at this point. I know it's not THE fight, but it still looks silly that he can pull off all that he does while he's still playing pretend.

If you're referring to the actual final boss battle, it looks pretty clear to me that Cloud needed a fuckton of help from the rest of the team, and even then, Sephiroth was still pretty much just toying with them. The closing scene with Cloud and the feather dissolving in his hand shows that he knows he didn't really win.

If you're referring to the cutscenes with Cloud slashing through a train, that's been discussed before, but the general agreement was that what was going on in that singularity is not reflective of any indicator of strength or skill in the actual world the characters live in.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

anakha posted:

If you're referring to the actual final boss battle, it looks pretty clear to me that Cloud needed a fuckton of help from the rest of the team, and even then, Sephiroth was still pretty much just toying with them. The closing scene with Cloud and the feather dissolving in his hand shows that he knows he didn't really win.

If you're referring to the cutscenes with Cloud slashing through a train, that's been discussed before, but the general agreement was that what was going on in that singularity is not reflective of any indicator of strength or skill in the actual world the characters live in.

The actual battle was more my thinking. If anything I was shocked by restraint they showed in regards to Cloud slashing through stuff.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I personally see that final battle and immediate post-battle cutscene as indicative of how far Cloud still has to go to be an actual challenge to Sephiroth and of how Sephiroth ultimately got what he wanted - the Whispers being removed as an obstacle to his plans.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

No guarantee that it’s not all in his brain anyways and at the very end when it’s just him he ultimately does falter.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
These are all good points! And honestly, I was still hyped up on goofballs when some of the other stuff pops up in the ending cutscenes. There was a sudden, serious concern for "hey all of these scenes aren't happening simultaneously, right?" cause I couldn't be sure at that point anymore.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kith posted:

Yes! But sadly now that Nomura is dead there is no one to make the rest of the Remake. Since Nomura was literally the only one making it.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

ImpAtom posted:

Theoretically if the Mako plants are shut down they should stop seeing as many weird mutations.

Monsters just seem to have been canonized as just a Thing on Gaia.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Fitting that cats are as prevalent then. They're adorable little murder beasts.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Clarste posted:

Saving the world doesn't pay the bills, my friend. All he's got, skillset-wise, are sword tricks, motorcycle tricks, and hybrid sword/motorcycle tricks.

I'm just saying, he's like the Al Bundy of Final Fantasy land. He scored four touchdowns in a single game beat Sephiroth, now he sells women's shoes delivers packages, and lives with a pretty woman he doesn't want to have sex with.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm just saying, he's like the Al Bundy of Final Fantasy land. He scored four touchdowns in a single game beat Sephiroth, now he sells women's shoes delivers packages, and lives with a pretty woman he doesn't want to have sex with.

If Cloud had Al's razor-sharp tongue and sense of humor instead of being all mopey, AC would have been a much better film.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I really loved this game when I was playing it, but every time I think about it in hindsight I get annoyed on grounds of anticipation

I honestly don't think I'd be this irritated if it was a wholly original product because the speculation would be the more typical kind. But because this is a Rebuild that literally ends on the note of "You thought THAT poo poo was different? You ain't seen nothing yet!" note you end up speculating on 1) What will be changed in terms of being made more elaborate (the reactor bombing and Wall Market) 2) What will be heavily altered (the raid on the Shinra Building) and 3) What will be all-new all-different (Whispers, Roche, the characters from the novels, the great cosmic Jenova Swarm). So somehow, despite being a retread of familiar material, there's more stuff that's intriguing to me than it would be if it was a sequel to an all new IP or even just a simple direct sequel to FFVII! I didn't even like FFVII that much!!! I thought the loading times really slowed things down!!!!!!

...and all this poo poo is probably like three years away! Minimum!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

I mean, in fairness the economy of FF7 is probably so hosed after the events of FF7 delivery boy might not be that bad in the grand scheme of things.

It doesn't help that he's probably got a fuckton to process given there hasn't been a week in his life that wasn't hosed pretty much from the moment he returned to Nibelheim.

Plus the whole dying thing :v:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
where more roche

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jetrauben posted:

Monsters just seem to have been canonized as just a Thing on Gaia.

"Monsters" exist (though not necessarily malicious monsters see Red XIII) but the reason there are so many of them and they're so actively dangerous is because of Mako plants causing mutations and aberrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Shinjobi posted:

where more roche

I hope he appears throughout the rest of the series, in places where it's increasingly unlikely for a motorcycle to be able to navigate to.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Namnesor posted:

I hope he appears throughout the rest of the series, in places where it's increasingly unlikely for a motorcycle to be able to navigate to.

Just add him to the snowboarding and chocobo racing sections, still on his motorbike like a dirty cheater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
He's GOTTA be at the Golden Saucer at some point.