Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Any of you have the PDF of this?

https://www.excellence-mag.com/resources/buyers-guide

I am feeling an itch for a foreign sports car.

e: \/\/ :lol: I was intending to ask if it was any good, but if someone wants to share, sure.

kensei fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
:filez:

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
To put it kindly, if $15 is your balk point for spur of the moment purchases, you're going to have a problem with Porsche ownership.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Niacin posted:

To put it kindly, if $15 is your balk point for spur of the moment purchases, you're going to have a problem with Porsche ownership.

$5 actually for the digital version. It's only $15 if you want good ol fashion paper delivered to your door.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Literally just wanted to know if it was any good or would be recommended. I don't mind buying it, was just curious if anyone had feedback on if it was a valuable resource. I worded my post extremely poorly.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
Ah. Oops. In that case, Panorama magazine (yes, i know) has a lot of buyer's guides on the web for the various generations and models with the common defects and issues included. There's also extensive coverage of every P-car on rennlist, but it's a little harder to find if you don't already know what you're looking for. For full sperg, the Adrian Streather books are hundreds and hundreds of strongly-researched pages full of things no-one needs to know.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Niacin posted:

Ah. Oops. In that case, Panorama magazine (yes, i know) has a lot of buyer's guides on the web for the various generations and models with the common defects and issues included. There's also extensive coverage of every P-car on rennlist, but it's a little harder to find if you don't already know what you're looking for. For full sperg, the Adrian Streather books are hundreds and hundreds of strongly-researched pages full of things no-one needs to know.

Thank you for this. I will check it out.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Helped my Dad replace the one way bearing on the alternator of his Cayman S on the weekend as there was a nasty clacking noise coming from that area. We put a new belt on it too while we were there. We elected to leave the OAS for someone else, or another day.

Just curious, does anyone know why new belts come with metallic dust all over them?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've never seen that...but maybe for UV protection?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

slidebite posted:

I've never seen that...but maybe for UV protection?

Hmm, I don’t think so, it seemed like it was mostly on the grooved side..

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

When I say UV, I mean for storage. Either way, no idea. Do you have a photo of what it looks like? I deal with belts all the time and never seen any with a dust/coating, other than literal dust from being on the shelf for years.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Hmm, I don’t think so, it seemed like it was mostly on the grooved side..

Perhaps it is a mold release agent or it could be a graphite type dry lubricant?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Maybe? I don't think they are molded though.. although they might be.

In other news, took the 996 out for a rip yesterday, got about 15 minutes from home and noticed my temp gauge was ever so slightly higher than normal... and the tell tale aroma of antifreeze. Pulled a U and started heading home. My office was immediately on the way so I pulled into the parking lot and took a look and saw a steady drip at the bottom of the water pump. Decided I could try making it home since the temp was only ever so slightly elevated. As I got it on the highway for the short leg back, the temp actually decreased slightly to almost normal so I made it back fine and car ran perfectly fine otherwise.

Oh well, joys of a 20 year old car. At least I wasn't in the middle of nowhere.

e: found a pump

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 18, 2020

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Was cleaning my 996 and noticed it turned 20, last month. :toot:

Here's a photo from today:

The roads were lovely.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Upon closer inspection of fan belts at an auto parts store, I think the sparkly bits were most likely fibres from the reinforcing of the belt. I could swear they looked like pieces of glitter on the Porsche’s belt, but I was in the middle of loving around with trying to get a spanner behind the tensioner pulley to tighten it enough that we could actually move the tensioner, so it’s possible the details escaped me.

Either way, Dad’s super happy because between the alternator pulley clutch fix, shimming one of those concertina strap exhaust brackets which was making a racket vibrating against the muffler at low RPM, and me locating the source of another rattle that was pissing him off (brake light housing rattling against the rear window), he says the car feels like new because of the quiet. It’s amazing the difference that eliminating rattles and other unwanted noises makes to a car.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

The roads were lovely.

God that's pretty.

My next car will not be white. :sigh:

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

dema posted:

The roads were lovely.

:fap:

Lapis blue? Love the color

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Thanks. It's zenith blue. One of those 90s paints that changes a lot with the light. It's got a purple shade to it in lower or incandescent light.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Saw a gorgeous red 911 today with the plate "VNTG911".

It was a 993. :corsair:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
They called my wife by mistake.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
:lol:

Reminds me of when I drunk bid on a salvage 911, forgot it until mid morning the next day when I saw the 'Congratulations!' email. 'Hey honey, what would you say if I accidentally bought another Porsche?'

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I drunk purchased a night vision monocular a couple weeks back. If I bought a car, I'd probably never drink again.
or continually

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Welp, guy is offering to buy my Spyder for a decent amount more than I paid for it. :ohdear:

edit: welp scheduling a PPI.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 29, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's probably good that I stopped drinking before I started making decent money.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I did it another way, I keep drinking thereby preventing me from making decent money.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Residency Evil posted:

Welp, guy is offering to buy my Spyder for a decent amount more than I paid for it. :ohdear:

This means you will have lots of money to spend on your (not-white) E90 M3! PM me with any questions you have and about what you want to look for specifically.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

So 2021 Cayman GTS is a go?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This means you will have lots of money to spend on your (not-white) E90 M3! PM me with any questions you have and about what you want to look for specifically.

I may cave. Last time I lasted from October -> April without a fun car, so about 6 months.

Russian Bear posted:

So 2021 Cayman GTS is a go?

My wife didn't seem opposed yesterday! I've never bought a new car before, and there's something tempting about finally living the dream I've had since I was 12 of picking everything out (Carmine Red, Gold wheels, 6-speed for now) and taking a trip to Germany to pick it up.

The sane part of me then wonders if a used GT4/air cooled 911/4-cylinder 718 wouldn't be the slightly smarter and more fiscally prudent choice in the middle of a pandemic.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm all about doing tourist delivery at least once. But man.....I don't think now is the time.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

I'm all about doing tourist delivery at least once. But man.....I don't think now is the time.

Oh yeah, it wouldn't be until 2021 at the earliest.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
dont buy a 4 cyl porsche unless it's a 944

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Oh yeah, it wouldn't be until 2021 at the earliest.

I wouldn't stake a probably once in a lifetime experience on 2021 being the time to do it when it involves international travel and poo poo being open in general.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Motronic posted:

I wouldn't stake a probably once in a lifetime experience on 2021 being the time to do it when it involves international travel and poo poo being open in general.

If you schedule it just make sure you book refundable travel. I'm sure ze germans will work with you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you schedule it just make sure you book refundable travel. I'm sure ze germans will work with you.

While I'm sure they will, to get that experience back you're buying another new car. I'm not big on buying new stuff, so I guess that taints my view on this.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

While I'm sure they will, to get that experience back you're buying another new car. I'm not big on buying new stuff, so I guess that taints my view on this.

Ugh yeah. I’m telling myself if 1) I sell my car and 2) the world doesn’t end and 3) I can pick it up in Europe then maybe I’ll actually buy a new car.

My dad will be disappointed if I buy new.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I may cave. Last time I lasted from October -> April without a fun car, so about 6 months.

My wife didn't seem opposed yesterday! I've never bought a new car before, and there's something tempting about finally living the dream I've had since I was 12 of picking everything out (Carmine Red, Gold wheels, 6-speed for now) and taking a trip to Germany to pick it up.

The sane part of me then wonders if a used GT4/air cooled 911/4-cylinder 718 wouldn't be the slightly smarter and more fiscally prudent choice in the middle of a pandemic.

Why a 718 versus a lower mileage 981 S?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Russian Bear posted:

Why a 718 versus a lower mileage 981 S?

I sold a low mileage 981 S to buy a 987 Spyder. :v:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ahhh ok, then yeah a 718 S for sake of trying something "new". The 4 cylinder gets poo poo on, but if your emotional needs don't require the 6 cylinder exhaust note, then there are deals to be had I'm sure.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

718 gts returns with an NA 6, so that should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Do it

Post videos

Modify the exhaust