Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CharlestonJew posted:

a better analogy would be having a secret santa or something, someone finding out what gift you were going to get, then telling you while being real smug about it

well exactly. would you tell your gift giver their present is now worthless, spoiled and ruined because you knew about it in advance? no u would not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lowtax gonna catch a golf club to the spine if we post spoilers :ohdear:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sebmojo posted:

the words 'spoiled' and 'ruined' are pretty severe imo is the thing, its like complianing that someone ruined the peanut butter by opening it before you got to it. I WAS GOING TO MAKE THE FIRST SCOOP DAMMIT HENRY why are you like this

tbc in this scenario henry may be a dick but you still have a basically full jar of peanut butter

crazy that we have real life androids here, posting among us. what a world 2020 is... the future baby haha

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

beep boop the ending is point oh one percent of the Content Package, there is still nine nine point nine nine percent of Content left to enjoy, initiating enjoyment algorithm

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sebmojo posted:

well exactly. would you tell your gift giver their present is now worthless, spoiled and ruined because you knew about it in advance? no u would not.

in this analogy we're getting tlou2 as a free present, not paying 60 dollars for it

which i guess actually still checks out for me because i'm not gonna own it until it ends up a ps+ free game 4 years from now

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stux posted:

beep boop the ending is point oh one percent of the Content Package, there is still nine nine point nine nine percent of Content left to enjoy, initiating enjoyment algorithm

you don't sit down to a viewing of a favourite movie thinking this is a ruined move because you know what's going to happen. or you may in which case apologies i'll withdraw my complaint

BUT maintaining polite silence on request is just fine, etiquette is important e.g. farting

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sebmojo posted:

you don't sit down to a viewing of a favourite movie thinking this is a ruined move because you know what's going to happen. or you may in which case apologies i'll withdraw my complaint

As I mentioned before that is because there are multiple ways to enjoy something. Well-designed stories can be enjoyed multiple ways. The 'spoiler-free' experience however is limited to either a first time or something you've seen maybe like once twenty years ago and don't remember.

It doesn't have to be A or B. Most people who worry about spoilers still enjoy B. They just dislike having A taken away from them.

The weird attitude of "how DARE you tell me to not do something" when it comes to spoiler stuff is genuinely pretty weird TBH. It always seems to be followed with "Well I don't care about it so you must be lying. In fact here is this (one, singular, and constantly misattributed) study that says *some* people actually enjoy stories that are spoiled more! So science is on my side and gently caress you!"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 26, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

almost like the context of watching a favorite movie is different to experiencing that movie for the first time, and the way it delivers the plot points may in fact be exactly what made it your favorite and wouldve had significantly less impact if you had already known about them. later watches are nostalgic in a way for the first viewing, alongside a sense of comfort as you see it more. you still have that first viewing though and its important.

just read impatoms post on the last page. its weird to have to explain this when a character on a sitcom who said they read the last page of a book to know if they wanted to read the whole thing wouldve been played as a joke in the past, because the idea of doing that is bizarre. i guess its not anymore ?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

happy to say that i strongly believe the people who go around spoiling themselves on media before watching it or reading it or playing it are the extremely strange ones and not the people who just want to watch it normally.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ImpAtom posted:

As I mentioned before that is because there are multiple ways to enjoy something. Well-designed stories can be enjoyed multiple ways. The 'spoiler-free' experience however is limited to either a first time or something you've seen maybe like once twenty years ago and don't remember.

It doesn't have to be A or B. Most people who worry about spoilers still enjoy B. They just dislike having A taken away from them.

The weird attitude of "how DARE you tell me to not do something" when it comes to spoiler stuff is genuinely pretty weird TBH. It always seems to be followed with "Well I don't care about it so you must be lying. In fact here is this (one, singular, and constantly misattributed) study that says people actually enjoy stories that are spoiled more! So science is on my side and gently caress you!"

yeah the strongest argument is that you're taking something away from someone, the ability to see something for the first time. I'd disagree with your idea that surprise is that important an element of aesthetic appreciation - it's in the mix, but it's been elevated to the point of absurdity, imo, and the language of 'spoiling' and 'ruining' is a big part of that. A story with a twist that's a bad story unless you're surprised by the twist is a bad story.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's not so much the surprise of the twist but rather the tension or mystery that precedes the twist imo.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i hope this is a got season 8 scenario were its really that bad and the thing gets memed

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The weird attitude of "how DARE you tell me to not do something" when it comes to spoiler stuff is genuinely pretty weird TBH. It always seems to be followed with "Well I don't care about it so you must be lying. In fact here is this (one, singular, and constantly misattributed) study that says *some* people actually enjoy stories that are spoiled more! So science is on my side and gently caress you!"

Caring about spoilers is a symptom of extreme insecurity and overcare, and I would think that in this thread of all places we would understand that

You’re not mad because you know how some dumb story ends, you’re mad because you think you missed out on a feeling you may never feel again.

Starks fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 26, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

With that said if they're threatening spurious legal action I'm all for spiting their stupid bad game. Return FYAD to the forum index just so its title can once again be a spoiler

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sebmojo posted:

yeah the strongest argument is that you're taking something away from someone, the ability to see something for the first time. I'd disagree with your idea that surprise is that important an element of aesthetic appreciation - it's in the mix, but it's been elevated to the point of absurdity, imo, and the language of 'spoiling' and 'ruining' is a big part of that. A story with a twist that's a bad story unless you're surprised by the twist is a bad story.

I don't think it's the case of it being a bad story if you are aware of the twist so much as it has an impact on how you view things and even on your ability to enjoy something *more* on a rewatch. Most forms of entertainment we create tend to be designed to evoke emotion more than anything else and foreknowledge has an impact on the emotions you can feel during a story. If someone turns out to be a traitor and murders their friend, it will have a very different impact on you if you liked/trusted that character versus knowing they were a traitor. Even upon a rewatch the emotions from your first watch still persist.

If a story relies on a twist and *just* a twist then it's a bad story, but it depends on everything surrounding that twist. Twists that succeed succeed because they force the viewer/player/etc to recontextualize what they have already seen. This is why poorly done twists kind of suck because it lacks that element of getting someone to change how they viewed something. When this succeeds it means that even rewatching you're viewing the first half differently because you know what is coming and can appreciate hints/clues/foreshadowing/etc that you missed the first time.

Starks posted:

Caring about spoilers is a symptom of extreme insecurity and overcare, and I would think that in this thread of all places we would understand that

You’re not mad because you know how some dumb story ends, you’re mad because you think you missed out on a feeling you may never feel again.

See, this is exactly the dumb thing I mean. It isn't just "I don't care about spoilers" but having some super weird superiority complex over anyone who does.

Yes. People are mad because they are watching/playing/whatever something designed to make them feel emotions. That is in fact the point of the vast majority of human entertainment. It is something designed to evoke emotion from the audience. They pay the pretty ridiculous amounts of money to experience these things because that emotion is important to them. Why is that a bad thing?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 26, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Starks posted:

i think its more that some people have so little self control or self awareness that the idea of the very simple and basic act of being polite to others around you is some sort of attack to them.

sebmojo posted:

no it isnt though, thats just an arbitrary judgement youve made. a story that hangs on a twist is not bad if its well written, its not a failure of story telling to use suspense and surprise. are you an alien?

again the language is literally people asking other people to just, be polite? its such a tiny thing lmao the attitude of it being some issue people ask to not be spoiled is so insane, it doesnt hurt you to just be polite to others.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
ATTN Naughty Dog intern scouring the thread: I'd like a new Jak & Daxter sequel at some point please

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Let us take the top off the logo again.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think it's the case of it being a bad story if you are aware of the twist so much as it has an impact on how you view things and even on your ability to enjoy something *more* on a rewatch. Most forms of entertainment we create tend to be designed to evoke emotion more than anything else and foreknowledge has an impact on the emotions you can feel during a story. If someone turns out to be a traitor and murders their friend, it will have a very different impact on you if you liked/trusted that character versus knowing they were a traitor. Even upon a rewatch the emotions from your first watch still persist.

If a story relies on a twist and *just* a twist then it's a bad story, but it depends on everything surrounding that twist. Twists that succeed succeed because they force the viewer/player/etc to recontextualize what they have already seen. This is why poorly done twists kind of suck because it lacks that element of getting someone to change how they viewed something. When this succeeds it means that even rewatching you're viewing the first half differently because you know what is coming and can appreciate hints/clues/foreshadowing/etc that you missed the first time.

See, this is exactly the dumb thing I mean. It isn't just "I don't care about spoilers" but having some super weird superiority complex over anyone who does.

Yes. People are mad because they are watching/playing/whatever something designed to make them feel emotions. That is in fact the point of the vast majority of human entertainment. It is something designed to evoke emotion from the audience. They pay the pretty ridiculous amounts of money to experience these things because that emotion is important to them. Why is that a bad thing?

The vast majority of “human entertainment” is just dancing around a fire and telling stories. Pretty sure cavemen weren’t killing each other because kushim spoiled the ending to a legend or whatever, it’s a uniquely online phenomenon

You just posted that the god of the underworld tried to flood the forest with the tears of the bereaved and it created the sea? Wtf man

Starks fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 26, 2020

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Starks posted:

The vast majority of “human entertainment” is just dancing around a fire and telling stories. Pretty sure cavemen weren’t killing each other because kushim spoiled the ending to a legend or whatever, it’s a uniquely online phenomenon

no one is killing each other because of spoilers today either ya loon

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

no one is killing each other because of spoilers today either ya loon

I just assume that’s how they settled arguments in the post-Neanderthal days

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Starks posted:

You just posted that the god of underworld tried to flood the forest with the tears of the bereaved and it created the sea? Wtf man

now did you have your katana out when you wrote this or did you leave it on the stand

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stux posted:

i think its more that some people have so little self control or self awareness that the idea of the very simple and basic act of being polite to others around you is some sort of attack to them.

no it isnt though, thats just an arbitrary judgement youve made. a story that hangs on a twist is not bad if its well written, its not a failure of story telling to use suspense and surprise. are you an alien?

again the language is literally people asking other people to just, be polite? its such a tiny thing lmao the attitude of it being some issue people ask to not be spoiled is so insane, it doesnt hurt you to just be polite to others.

That's exactly what I said, if you read what I said, tho I appreciate you may be trying to avoid spoilers

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i mean i think everyone knows by this point that the 'spoilers don't matter argument' is almost always just a cloak for 'i want to say whatever i want without having to consider others'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Starks posted:

You just posted that the god of underworld tried to flood the forest with the tears of the bereaved and it created the sea? Wtf man

It absolutely is not a uniquely online phenomenon.

"Spoilers" have been a thing since before the internet existed. Like people were spoiling Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan so seriously they actually reshot the opening to hide the fact that Spock dies later in the film. Alfred Hitchcock literally paid for ads asking people not to spoil Psycho:

On top of that back in the Ye Olden Days it was considered common to ask people not to spoil the outcome of a sports event if someone had recorded it the night before but not had the chance to watch it. Because despite it being a real-life event the surprise of the outcome was important to people.

The only uniquely online thing about this is how fast they spread and how easily they are confirmed. You hear more about it now because it is happening more. Because the internet allows for instant long-range communication with a wider variety of people from different places in a way that didn't exist before it.

Edit: Roger Ebert, as he usually did, put it very well: "The characters in movies do not always do what we would do. Sometimes they make choices that offend us. That is their right. It is our right to disagree with them. It is not our right, however, to destroy for others the experience of being as surprised by those choices as we were."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 26, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sebmojo posted:

That's exactly what I said, if you read what I said, tho I appreciate you may be trying to avoid spoilers

"A story with a twist that's a bad story unless you're surprised by the twist is a bad story."

this isnt correct, this is what im directly responding to. this is your own decision and what applies to you but it isnt an objective truth.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

i mean i think everyone knows by this point that the 'spoilers don't matter argument' is almost always just a cloak for 'i want to say whatever i want without having to consider others'

So what you're saying is... these goons don't want to be censored?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
last of us 2 gonna get mass buried in the desert next to the et atari game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its probably just going to sell extremely well

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Starks posted:

Your edginess about people enjoying things is a lot more insecure than people not wanting to be spoiled. Who gives a gently caress how people consume whatever media interests them?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Maybe just like don't spoil things, and let people enjoy the media they like?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
infinitum is cool

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Maybe just like don't spoil things, and let people enjoy the media they like?

Yes to #1.....no to #2

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

infinitum is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW5v8xQ9LLI

Starks posted:

Yes to #1.....no to #2

3Edgy5Me

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

infinitum is cool

I googled this and got this link https://infinitumlife.com/

Edit: oh it’s the op who says “edgy” in every post Lmao

ImpAtom posted:

It absolutely is not a uniquely online phenomenon.

"Spoilers" have been a thing since before the internet existed. Like people were spoiling Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan so seriously they actually reshot the opening to hide the fact that Spock dies later in the film. Alfred Hitchcock literally paid for ads asking people not to spoil Psycho:

On top of that back in the Ye Olden Days it was considered common to ask people not to spoil the outcome of a sports event if someone had recorded it the night before but not had the chance to watch it. Because despite it being a real-life event the surprise of the outcome was important to people.

The only uniquely online thing about this is how fast they spread and how easily they are confirmed. You hear more about it now because it is happening more. Because the internet allows for instant long-range communication with a wider variety of people from different places in a way that didn't exist before it.

Edit: Roger Ebert, as he usually did, put it very well: "The characters in movies do not always do what we would do. Sometimes they make choices that offend us. That is their right. It is our right to disagree with them. It is not our right, however, to destroy for others the experience of being as surprised by those choices as we were."

Yeah you’re right about old movies and now that I think about it they did that for Star Wars 2: Empire Strikes Back as well.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

sebmojo posted:

I was cautiously optimistic for TLOU2 and had some stuff spoiled for me in the comments of a completely unrelated Twitter post. I just wanted to see the bigger version of some cool art and there the gifs and videos were in the sidebar with the comments. My reaction was just "Is that real?" to "That's really dumb" and that was that v:shobon:v

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SUNKOS posted:

I was cautiously optimistic for TLOU2 and had some stuff spoiled for me in the comments of a completely unrelated Twitter post. I just wanted to see the bigger version of some cool art and there the gifs and videos were in the sidebar with the comments. My reaction was just "Is that real?" to "That's really dumb" and that was that v:shobon:v

i am more curious if the gameplay is less tanky and more smooth and poo poo. the death twist i called the second i saw the trailer and the other one makes me more interested even if it is dumb.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Starks posted:

I googled this and got this link https://infinitumlife.com/

Edit: oh it’s the op who says “edgy” in every post Lmao

Yeah you’re right about old movies and now that I think about it they did that for Star Wars 2: Empire Strikes Back as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwZRFA0cLaM

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am more curious if the gameplay is less tanky and more smooth and poo poo. the death twist i called the second i saw the trailer and the other one makes me more interested even if it is dumb.

I'm just interested if there's more gameplay because replaying TLOU1 reminds you of how much freakin' walking around there is. Uncharted 4 really suffered for this as well which sucked because the combat was fun but you mostly walked around which made me wish I'd just bought something else and watched a playthrough on YouTube or something. I'm expecting more of the same with TLOU2, a hell of a lot of walking around and maybe three or four really well-designed combat encounters that are super fun and make you realize how much potential was wasted.

I'd love to be surprised as well but it looks like they've been really unimaginative with the infected in TLOU2 and are still sticking to humanoid designs. We've seen one new type of clicker and another bloater type that just spews gas but I was hoping we'd see freaky stuff like this concept art for the first game:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I get that it sucks to get spoiled on something you were looking forward to but being melodramatic and acting like it's the end of the world is dumb as heck. It's just a game get over it