Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u0Ze8vBH0M&feature=youtu.be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx

Where do they find the people for these videos?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Lol

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

LittleBlackCloud posted:

Where do they find the people for these videos?

For interviews or audience?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
lol I forgot the name of the Cowboy Bebop song was TANK!

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx

Top City Homo posted:

For interviews or audience?

The interviews lol. like "Scholar"

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

LittleBlackCloud posted:

The interviews lol. like "Scholar"

i think that they are mostly clips from Youtube

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

mao is rolling in his Grand Mausoleum

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Personally, I don't buy this automation argument. I think calling automation "robots" is just overselling the the process of slowly increasing machine productivity. I think there is a good few decades and even generations before you convert a large factory of a random industry to a completely automatic place.

I think this whole automation argument is what the center-left in the west use to dodge their obligation to the working class/union, while secretly sell their souls to the capitalists for 5 bux.
complete automation of a factory really isn't the problem. just getting rid of half the labor force through excel spreadsheets and robot arms is good enough to cause a crisis.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

hong kong is back in the news? time to resub to WOW

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the glorious past also came about because china was gradually opening up and HK was like a sluice gate or front-office lobby for it. while HKers can go "well we're smarter and better and we'd be doing great if it weren't for the evil CCP" but the reality is they just got lucky and were in the right time at the right place

Weird that you think HK was the only place who was lucky and in the right time and place during the period of Four Asian Tigers, and that China wasn't the chief beneficiary by becoming the world's manufacturing hub

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

sincx posted:

lmao

the glasses-on version says "meeting for parents of kids studying in Europe and America and for owners of property in Australia, the US, and Canada"

did spiderman have a they live moment in some marvel movie

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antonymous posted:

did spiderman have a they live moment in some marvel movie

it's A Thing in spiderman movies for Peter Parker to be a glasses-wearing dork, and then the spider-bite improves his eyesight so that he doesn't need them anymore

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/ZeBigDragon/status/1265031710661414912

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Kill All Cops posted:

Weird that you think HK was the only place who was lucky and in the right time and place during the period of Four Asian Tigers, and that China wasn't the chief beneficiary by becoming the world's manufacturing hub

Hong Kong was about 20-30 years ahead of China's curve.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

super cool to read about ultracommunist glorious dictator xi that we tearfully joyfully prostrate towards saying china must bow to market forces

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Ardennes posted:

Hong Kong was about 20-30 years ahead of China's curve.

Hong Kong: lucky at being the right time and the right place for 20-30 years (to soak all the refugees from the civil war until the CCP came to flatten the curve)

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

super cool to read about ultracommunist glorious dictator xi that we tearfully joyfully prostrate towards saying china must bow to market forces

haven't seen you whining in these parts lately. I assume you've been hard at work advancing the downfall of capital, making imperialist collaborator Pooh Bear look foolish for abandoning global protracted people's war?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Autism Sneaks posted:

haven't seen you whining in these parts lately. I assume you've been hard at work advancing the downfall of capital, making imperialist collaborator Pooh Bear look foolish for abandoning global protracted people's war?

this dude is ultra upset that I'm not as influential as the god-emperor

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

so what is their plan exactly. Democratic Confederalism?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

he seems to be aiming for the opposite

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the comparison of anarchist graffiti to organized groups of reactionary pro-US demonstrators in Hong Kong makes it look like the reactionaries can control the streets while the anarchists are forced to the margins, even within the movement.

I don't know if the people waving US and Trump flags reflect the opinions of the average person in the Hong Kong "pro-democracy" movement, but its obvious they are one of the most organized forces within it

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

this dude is ultra upset that I'm not as influential as the god-emperor

why would I bet upset that an impotent bloodthirsty little freak like you has no actual power, it would be horrifying if you weren't just some pathetic internet tough guy howling at the void

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Atrocious Joe posted:

I don't know if the people waving US and Trump flags reflect the opinions of the average person in the Hong Kong "pro-democracy" movement, but its obvious they are one of the most organized forces within it

I haven't been to the protests in months, but the last time I was there were like 4 or 5 people carrying US flags that get all the media attention while most others don't really care for it. The images you see of waves of people carrying US flags was for one of the US themed rallies after the Hong Kong Act was passed so people were more inclined to support America/Trump back then but seeing the impotent pres do nothing further will prolly stem that drip of support for Trump

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Kill All Cops posted:

Hong Kong: lucky at being the right time and the right place for 20-30 years (to soak all the refugees from the civil war until the CCP came to flatten the curve)

Cheap labor coupled with access to Western markets, so yes.

Also, the US clearly overplayed their hand in HK. I don't get what you think Trump is going to do considering he just burned down the US economy.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 06:43 on May 26, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kill All Cops posted:

I haven't been to the protests in months, but the last time I was there were like 4 or 5 people carrying US flags that get all the media attention while most others don't really care for it. The images you see of waves of people carrying US flags was for one of the US themed rallies after the Hong Kong Act was passed so people were more inclined to support America/Trump back then but seeing the impotent pres do nothing further will prolly stem that drip of support for Trump
those flags have also been exploited by the pro-china camp but the people literally waving US flags struck me as "LARP" types, and the people involved in the HK protests with serious ties to the U.S. consulate are less garish about it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i saw some comments elsewhere online saying "well look at the U.S. flags, that's evidence the U.S. are involved..."

and i replied at the time: no, you moron, those people are idiots. and actually, if you want to look at U.S. involvement, let me introduce you to the hong kong democracy council, etc.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

stephenthinkpad posted:

Personally, I don't buy this automation argument. I think calling automation "robots" is just overselling the the process of slowly increasing machine productivity. I think there is a good few decades and even generations before you convert a large factory of a random industry to a completely automatic place.

I think this whole automation argument is what the center-left in the west use to dodge their obligation to the working class/union, while secretly sell their souls to the capitalists for 5 bux.

I am also skeptical of Dr. Doom's argument on this.

I don't see why companies that have to move out of China would move back to the US. It seems from a profit standpoint better to move to another low labor cost country like Vietnam or Indonesia. Sure you can pour money into automation, but why bother when there are still so many poor around to world to exploit? Plus less pesky profit-loss things like safety regulations that benefit the bottom line in the long term.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 07:03 on May 26, 2020

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

those flags have also been exploited by the pro-china camp but the people literally waving US flags struck me as "LARP" types, and the people involved in the HK protests with serious ties to the U.S. consulate are less garish about it

sometimes the US goes all in on the garish idiots though

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
US actually has a trade surplus with HK, not a trade deficit. Have all the Trump economic advisers quit or there is some rear end kissers left that can explain this concept to him? BTW haven't heard anything from that snake oil salesman Peter Navarro in a while.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OhFunny posted:

I don't see why companies that have to move out of China would move back to the US. Seems from profit standpoint to another low labor cost country like Vietnam or Indonesia. Sure you can pour money into automation, but why bother when there are still so many poor around to world to exploit? Plus less pesky proft-loss things like safety regulations that benefit the bottom line in the long term.

Yup. This was happening prior to the pandemic - there were already other countries that could provide outsourced labor for cheaper than China could.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Autism Sneaks posted:

lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

I'm glad you've stepped up to take Pevin's place as the forum's resident China stan, hopefully you can avoid being extremely racist about non-Han Chinese

e: w/r/t the NPC there's not too much news. No GDP announcement this year, they're doing more belt and road / free trade areas to grow western China. Unfortunately China punted and have said that they will not be changing the marriage laws and they'll remain opposite-sex only.

quote:

But on Monday, Huang Wei, an official with the Legislative Affairs Commission of the National People’s Congress Standing Committee, said comments about legalising same-sex marriage had been sent in “an organised act”.
“The letters sent to us came in the same envelope, with the same content, and the online messages were the same – it’s all been copied and pasted,” she told news website Thepaper.cn.
Huang added that there would no change to the existing marriage law, “between a man and a woman”.

I really expected them to make changes about this but it looks like they're resistant to it.

Grapplejack has issued a correction as of 07:31 on May 26, 2020

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Kill All Cops posted:

Yeah, overall the protests seem liberal, which is why the appeals to anarchist graffiti seems weird. The mass of people in the streets aren't reactionary, but they don't really seem left in any meaningful way.

Again, I think leadership is important. The Arab Spring protests were fueled by real hardships, but the most organized parts of the protests were religious reactionaries so they ended up gaining the most momentum in the movement. Like, in Egypt the Muslim Brotherhood's candidate won the presidency, but the urban liberals who supported the initial uprising were so appalled they ended up supporting another military coup.

In Hong Kong this dynamic is complicated by the fact that outside support seems necessary for the protests to achieve any of their demands. The US would be at the forefront of that. If protesters were happy to line up behind US flags before, why wouldn't they do so again?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
That's true, in the context of other western nations US's response to HK so far has been the best. There are plenty of calls for the UK to give HK citizens holding BNO full citizenship but they have their own poo poo to deal with, although Patten is shouting the loudest he can about it. EU are always "observing the situation" or giving stern messages that get ignored. Basically only Taiwan is the closest another country can get to supporting the HK democracy movement.

HK has a long history of protests before this whole democracy movement started, so while they know what they protest against, I don't think many people have a political ideal outside of the 5 or 6 great demands. The pro democracy camp have always been notorious for infighting and not getting along with each other which has enabled things to get to where they are now

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

hello china thread

is there a recommended history book that covers the chinese communist revolution and through, i dunno, the 70s?

i know that's a large topic, and a simple "no," would suffice if that's the case

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

hello china thread

is there a recommended history book that covers the chinese communist revolution and through, i dunno, the 70s?

i know that's a large topic, and a simple "no," would suffice if that's the case
"mao's china and after" by maurice meisner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

hello china thread

This one is free

https://www.edx.org/xseries/china-modern-world

This one is has a free trail, I think you can google a one month free trail promote code too.
https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com/the-fall-and-rise-of-china