Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, I never really got the criticism that RA3 was somehow cheesier than RA2, when the latter was the one where Soviet cosmonauts attacked a psychic's moon base, shooting down flying saucers with laser guns. And the mission before that had you capture a rocket on Easter Island, while trying to avoid laser Moai heads. Then at the end of the Soviet campaign (can't remember the Allies' ending, because they're boring :colbert:), said wannabe-would conqueror psychic tries to use a time machine to undo your victory, but thankfully your catsuited girlfriend sabotaged it, ensuring he'd get eaten by a T-Rex. And that's somehow less wacky than giant mecha?

I mean yeah, RA3 was more upfront with the wackiness, but it was a little shallow compared to how nutso RA2 could get.

Internet Wizard posted:

It’s because RA3 added the Japanese with anime flavored units and we can’t have that in our serious game about future tech allies versus psychic soviets
Nah, it's because RA2 took its camp seriously while RA3 was more ironically self-aware, practically winking at the camera. Besides, you're acting like some people didn't complain that RA2 was also too cartoony in its time.

As for myself, I don't like RA3 as much as other C&C games because I just didn't think it was all that fun to play. Thought the economy was too restrictive and the units too fiddly. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Also Hell March 2 is way better than 3, even if RA3 then compensates with Soviet March.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

bony tony posted:

How? By killing Udo Kier?
The main character of RA1, the only good RA, is Stalin.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

A Buttery Pastry posted:

CSPAM is over there

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

ra2 is more fun as a game to play through imo because you can just bomb everything with balloons, but yeah ra1 is way better simply due to that
e: also, hell march 2 is the best one

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Internet Wizard posted:

It’s because RA3 added the Japanese with anime flavored units

Justified IMHO

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

RA3 is worth it just for giving Tim Curry a line that broke him.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Seriously, I honestly hope they used that take specifically to show that the line was too hammy for even Tim Curry to deliver without cracking :allears: I should reinstall and give that game a real try, I know I own it on some platform or another

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Danaru posted:

Seriously, I honestly hope they used that take specifically to show that the line was too hammy for even Tim Curry to deliver without cracking :allears: I should reinstall and give that game a real try, I know I own it on some platform or another

maybe that was the first take that he didn't completely crack up on

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
And he only sort of didn't crack up.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

red alert 2 is the best RTS I have ever played and the only one that I got way into playin leaderboards on

six pack of mountain dew livewire in the minifridge, macros bound to mouse buttons 4/5, build order post-it notes fringing the screen

soviets for single player, allies for multiplayer- got really good at a Korea tank/plane rush strategy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If only Einstein would travel forward in time to prevent RA2 from being created in the first place.

how dare you

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Having the 3 world leaders be JK Simmons, Tim Curry and George Takei was really inspired.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Filling Flak Tracks with dynamite-covered Terrorists and telling them to gun it into the enemy base wasn't the best RA2 strategy, but it was definitely one of the funniest.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Which line was this?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ZeusCannon posted:

Which line was this?

I'm guessing this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

In case you didn't know, there's a thread in Sci-Fi Wi-Fi where reignofevil summarizes the plot of all the C&C games.

Ahahahaha I forgot how visibly he's trying to hold in a laugh right before he goes SPACE!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I never watched that before and it's so delightful

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Moon Slayer posted:

In case you didn't know, there's a thread in Sci-Fi Wi-Fi where reignofevil summarizes the plot of all the C&C games.

Ahahahaha I forgot how visibly he's trying to hold in a laugh right before he goes SPACE!

I never noticed it before now, but once you see it you can tell he's trying so hard to corpse through that delivery :allears:.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
What's just fantastic about it is how much it enhances the line; he's got so much barely-restrained joy for SPACE!!!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I would also be that enthused if I got to go to the ONE PLACE that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There should be a spinoff game where we play as him and the villain is Elon Musk.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Leal posted:

I would also be that enthused if I got to go to the ONE PLACE that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism.

:same:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The MSJ posted:

There should be a spinoff game where we play as him and the villain is Elon Musk.

Okay, to be honest, an alternate-modern-day Red Alert game in which one of the villainous factions is a Shadowrun-esque corporation run by a hubristic technocrat who's Definitely Not Elon Musk would absolutely be on brand, and sounds fun as hell to boot.

The unit tree practically designs itself. Incompetent mercenaries as basic infantry. Drones of various kinds, each more comically over-engineered than the last, most in roles that would be much better suited to humans. Bizarre weird-science tech upgrades. Semi-bulletproof luxury sedans with machine guns mounted on them. Your superweapon is to deorbit a satellite, causing it to fall on the enemy base for catastrophic damage, and then claim you did it on purpose. Your ultimate unit is a fully autonomous AI that you (read: your scientists) designed to run your factory, but which instead converted your factory into a mobile robotic death fortress and is now using it to kill all humans.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Your superweapon is to deorbit a satellite, causing it to fall on the enemy base for catastrophic damage, and then claim you did it on purpose.

Nonono, you deorbit a satelite on purpose, which isn't actually all that powerful of an a weapon, but it's real advantage is that you collect on the insurance afterwards. So you can spam it every time the cooldown comes up!

(there is a small chance that you get proscecuted which causes a constant drain on your resources and prevents you from doing another sattelite drop, but that won't happen to you, right?)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The specific delivery of "SPAaeeyyusSSS" is also really hard to replicate, definitely think that was him half laughing at it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Ratoslov posted:

Nonono, you deorbit a satelite on purpose, which isn't actually all that powerful of an a weapon, but it's real advantage is that you collect on the insurance afterwards. So you can spam it every time the cooldown comes up!

(there is a small chance that you get proscecuted which causes a constant drain on your resources and prevents you from doing another sattelite drop, but that won't happen to you, right?)

Your spy equivalent is a lobbyist who lets you privatize an enemy building, causing it to become significantly shittier in function and also slowly siphon your opponent's money away to you. The only way to fix this is to sell or destroy the building and rebuild it anew, and you get additional money when this happens due to cashing in your stock or collecting on the insurance. You can, in fact, commit insurance fraud by privatizing buildings just before you blow them up with your self-driving tank rush

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Your spy equivalent is a lobbyist who lets you privatize an enemy building, causing it to become significantly shittier in function and also slowly siphon your opponent's money away to you. The only way to fix this is to sell or destroy the building and rebuild it anew, and you get additional money when this happens due to cashing in your stock or collecting on the insurance. You can, in fact, commit insurance fraud by privatizing buildings just before you blow them up with your self-driving tank rush

One problem with self-crashing tanks is that their AI is far too advanced to pay attention to your orders because they're executing their own strategy of randomly crashing into everything and running over friendly troops.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I never noticed the Mumble sounds in that video before and now everything is hosed.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I thank god every day that goons are not allowed to make games.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

silentsnack posted:

One problem with self-crashing tanks is that their AI is far too advanced to pay attention to your orders because they're executing their own strategy of randomly crashing into everything and running over friendly troops.

See this legitimately sounds hilarious, tonally appropriate for Red Alert, and like a mechanically interesting spin on the Soviet "throw a billion units at them" playstyle. You'd end up with a neat balance between detail-oriented micro and brute-force rushing - you use your unique income sources to attack-move a big pile of expendable mercs, malfunctioning combat drones, and poorly-tested autonomous tanks at the enemy, and while they're mistakenly shooting each other and crashing into poo poo and randomly exploding in the process of depleting the enemy's forces, you focus your attention on your latest dumbshit Lex Luthor scheme to privatize the enemy's power infrastructure and install surveillance-capable bluetooth coffee makers everywhere.

Mordja posted:

This is absolutely the correct take in this specific case, but a) I maintain that this is an extremely funny concept for an RA army and b) some of the best roguelikes on the market are goon-made :colbert:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 26, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mordja posted:

Have you played any of the following? (Off the top of my head)

• Dropsy
  • Hypnospace Outlaw
  • Gibbous: A Cthulu Adventure
  • Roundabout

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Angry Diplomat posted:

This is absolutely the correct take in this specific case, but a) I maintain that this is an extremely funny concept for an RA army and b) some of the best roguelikes on the market are goon-made :colbert:
Roguelikes are bad and for bad people.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you played any of the following? (Off the top of my head)

• Dropsy
  • Hypnospace Outlaw
  • Gibbous: A Cthulu Adventure
  • Roundabout
No.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
But for real though, Brigador is fantastic, can't wait for Brigador Killers.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

You should rectify this error immediately, also Baba is You.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want a command and conquer game where you can play as techbros who deorbit satellites as your superweapon that's actually Act Of War: Direct Action/High Treason with the Consortium faction who are kind of like the ultra rich illuminati.

You get money in it by either drilling for oil, capturing banks and siphoning dollars out of them, or capturing enemy prisoners and stuffing them in interrogation centers which makes them generate money. Just pretend you're developing apps or something.

It's also just a really good game in the CnC Generals style, I think it's actually possibly a bit better than Generals in a lot of ways though it's a bit less goofy.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 26, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Act of War was fun, I especially liked the Consortium's gimmick of going from middle eastern terrorists with RPGs and technicals to full on Cobra when you tech up and reveal your cloaking railgun tanks and high-tech Russian aircraft. I'm one of the few people who didn't hate AoA either.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Act of Aggression is OK and was significantly improved by the big update they did that completely rejiggered how it worked.

I still miss the off map support from Act of War though, it was like playing CnC generals except you could call in airstrikes from Wargame Red Dragon. Absurdly lethal and super fun to use.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mordja posted:

Aren't Obsidian games technically goon games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Aren't Obsidian games technically goon games?

And they haven't made a good one since Alpha Protocol.