Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Sistergodiva posted:

I really like my company and I am fighting with the feeling of getting screwed over on one hand and feeling responsible for us making it through this crisis.

Honestly, there's just a lot of this going around right now due to the pandemic, and there's no one answer to the question. I'd talk to your managers about pulling in another person or two to keep up your billables while allowing you and your coworker to lower your commitments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

ChickenWing posted:

Honestly, there's just a lot of this going around right now due to the pandemic, and there's no one answer to the question. I'd talk to your managers about pulling in another person or two to keep up your billables while allowing you and your coworker to lower your commitments.

Yeah, this is totally what we would have done if it was possible. Though even getting us two access to every system, signing NDAs etc took over a month, and getting someone onboarded without face2face would probably be hard.

I guess I just wanted to vent. I mean I know that legally I have no obligation to work more than what my contract says, but I also think I jeopardize our relationship with this huge client.

Oh well, at least I am working for home so I can play animal crossing or draw while listening to unimportant presentations/meetings.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Perhaps ask your employer for a way to show their gratitude financially in a year when things are better, such as stock options that vest a year out?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Is there any interviewing-as-a-service that isn't a waste of money and won't piss off the candidates? I'm leading a three-person team and we need to evaluate for skills we don't have. Plus it takes a lot of time and we're not very good at it. But outsourcing this seems like a lovely thing that we won't be able to trust and will turn people off. I'm guessing we should just suck it up and do the best we can but I'm curious if there's any alternative that isn't a terrible idea.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Is there any interviewing-as-a-service that isn't a waste of money and won't piss off the candidates? I'm leading a three-person team and we need to evaluate for skills we don't have. Plus it takes a lot of time and we're not very good at it. But outsourcing this seems like a lovely thing that we won't be able to trust and will turn people off. I'm guessing we should just suck it up and do the best we can but I'm curious if there's any alternative that isn't a terrible idea.

in my experience that depends a lot on what you're interviewing for

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The only time I’ve seen it is when I was recruited/contacting through Tek Systems. They gave me a hard and really fiddly test for Perl, and passed along my results to companies.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I wouldn't completely outsource hiring, that seems like a disaster. Do you have 3rd party recruiters you know and trust? I've worked with some who've done a great job getting me those types of candidates then I just need to do interviews to confirm and make sure their is a fit. Finding a good recruiter is a whole thing unto itself though, a crappy one will try to just offload people to you if they know you won't know the difference.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Not yet, but we should probably start looking for a trusted recruiter.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

My small company with a very small dev team has pretty much the same predicament - lead dev with all the backend knowledge got poached. Those of us left on the team are frontend and not well equipped to evaluate for a senior full stack/backend position (or data science/engineering).

Our solution was to hire out the technical screen but continue to handle all other aspects of the interviewing process ourselves. We still do initial phone screens and then later stage behavioral interviews. So far it’s worked out pretty well, even though I had misgivings at first. The other steps still take up a lot of our time, but it’s much better for both the candidates and us to be heavily involved, and I’d rather we take the time to identify a good candidate than to rush/outsource and end up with a bad hire (seriously, one bad hire can completely poison a small team). The candidate’s technical chops are only part of the equation at the end of the day, anyway.

We did try utilizing recruiters’ technical screens at first, but that gave us a pile of candidates that ranged from underwhelming to garbage. And a University of Phoenix MBA that one time. I know there are better recruiters out there, though. If you want to go this route, it really depends on the quality of the recruiter and their screening methods.

Overall, interviewing-as-a-service seems like a bad idea on multiple levels: you come off as unable/unwilling to give your candidates the time of day, as you’ve shunted them off to a third party, you’re missing out on evaluating important aspects you are able to discern yourself (i.e. is the candidate a sexist prick or not, do we actually get along with this person), and the candidate doesn’t get as much of a chance to evaluate your company and the prospect of working there.

As for not being very good at interviewing, I’ve been conducting interviews and I’m definitely not good at it. What helps is practice and tag-teaming with someone else who’s better at it, even if they aren’t as knowledgeable about the particular skills you’re looking at.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I would probably turn the company down if they outsourced the interviewing.

If you need to assess technical skills which nobody at the company has, I would give the candidates a take-home challenge (make sure they have time to complete it and make sure it won't take more than 2-3 hours if they're adding tests and polishing it up as best they can) then outsource the evaluation of that challenge by using a contractor or something. It's not that you don't have the skills needed to _interview_ the person, you just lack the technical skills so try to limit the outsourcing to that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Slimy Hog posted:

I would probably turn the company down if they outsourced the interviewing.

If you need to assess technical skills which nobody at the company has, I would give the candidates a take-home challenge (make sure they have time to complete it and make sure it won't take more than 2-3 hours if they're adding tests and polishing it up as best they can) then outsource the evaluation of that challenge by using a contractor or something. It's not that you don't have the skills needed to _interview_ the person, you just lack the technical skills so try to limit the outsourcing to that.

Designing a test that only takes 2-3 hours requires familiarity with the skills involved.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Designing a test that only takes 2-3 hours requires familiarity with the skills involved.

:ughh: I'm a dummy

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Sistergodiva posted:

Yeah, not sure if it was clear, but I am a full time employee at my work, but I am working at our client as a consultant.

We have a mix of in-house projects and a few of us work as consultants for clients.

Vacation and other things changing my hours usually goes through my boss who talks to the client. This is a huge client for us and I assume this would screw up our relationship with the client if their whole projects frontend bandwidth went from 200% to 80% overnight.

From what I understand it's basically us working av consultants for this client and a few others that are keeping us afloat.

I really like my company and I am fighting with the feeling of getting screwed over on one hand and feeling responsible for us making it through this crisis.

:sever:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
If I get a sniff that a company is outsourcing interviewing, I bail. This has only happened once and it wasn't a job I was super excited for, so it was really easy to just treat this as a red flag of things to come.

Also, if you have make me take a 30 minute 'coding test' on a website that lacks simple Intellisense, let alone features of an actual IDE, then I will also immediately bail.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Also, if you have make me take a 30 minute 'coding test' on a website that lacks simple Intellisense, let alone features of an actual IDE, then I will also immediately bail.
One of my first coding job interviews included a test where I was put in a room alone with a problem, to be solved by writing code with pen and paper and no access to other tools or information. I think I was given an hour, possibly two?

I didn't get that job, and felt like it was because I was a bad coder (one of my first interviews, remember), but in retrospect I definitely dodged a bullet there.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don’t understand that at all. If you were hiring a woodworker would you assess their chair-building skills without tools?

I mean, whiteboard an algorithm like FizzBuzz, sure. But more than like a dozen lines of code, just no, sit me down with a proper IDE.

Votlook
Aug 20, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

I don’t understand that at all. If you were hiring a woodworker would you assess their chair-building skills without tools?

I mean, whiteboard an algorithm like FizzBuzz, sure. But more than like a dozen lines of code, just no, sit me down with a proper IDE.

You have one hour to build a chair using a bread knife, go go go!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It somewhat makes sense in that you don't have to worry about janitoring a device, especially decades ago when IDEs were a lot more primitive. I had this exact discussion years ago at my last job about why we still used whiteboards for coding instead of a sacrificial laptop.

I'm glad that the industry is slowly moving along with the times but from the other end it's still not great.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I remember one time they handed me a laptop to do the coding exercise on and it was a loving Mac so I knew precisely none of the keyboard shortcuts. "Uh. How do you bring up the Dev Console? This keyboard doesn't have an F12 key."

They also forgot to revert the previous candidate's changes and immediately snatched the laptop away from me

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I've used the pair coding piece of HackerRank on a few phone interviews and it worked pretty well. My biggest suggestion to our recruiting team has been to get a few burner laptops to be able to do it in person.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

CPColin posted:

I remember one time they handed me a laptop to do the coding exercise on and it was a loving Mac so I knew precisely none of the keyboard shortcuts. "Uh. How do you bring up the Dev Console? This keyboard doesn't have an F12 key."
I once had the same but it was in Visual Studio on Parallels, so basic hot-keys like control-arrow for navigating text by word caused it to jump to the non-parallels desktop. Not great in a high pressure situation for a junior.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Job interview coding challenges really run the gamut. I just came to remember another one early in my career as a dev where the guy interviewing was clearly one of the devs himself and not great at handling people. He put me in front of his own work machine, which was set up with an IDE (I don't remember which one tbh, was some time ago) just the way he liked it personally (i.e. not the defaults), with their actual production code open. He told me he'd deliberately inserted some errors in the code and to find them and fix them. Also he hadn't reverted the changes the previous interviewee had made, which he realized and told me to ignore partway through introducing the assignment.

I walked out on that one after just staring incredulously at the monitor for a few minutes.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Haha I had the same Mac interview experience, but I took the job. On day one I literally couldn’t figure out how to turn on or off my new company Mac (there’s no power button!)

I had to convince a QA interviewing team at a previous company that it was not a good idea to greet the applicant then immediately put them completely alone in a meeting room for fifteen minutes with some screenshots to “write a test plan”. I would have walked out after five minutes if someone played that on me.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I genuinely cannot understand any company that would make someone write any real code that wasn't pseudocode in any setting other than a take-home test.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I once made the decision to use the company-supplied laptop, because my personal one was a slow mess, and solve the interview problem in Python, even though they didn’t have an interpreter installed.

I ended up in some website that let me code in the browser. I was half way through the problem when I finally figured out that it pasting in tabs as spaces (or the other way around) and that was what was causing all these baffling errors.

Got the job.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Our CIO is requesting anyone brought in for an interview fill out some application that lists education and work experience on it, no loving idea why.

He got also got mad when someone who had accepted an offer ended up turning it down for another position elsewhere. I think he asked the hiring manager if we had any legal options??

He’s not completely crazy but some of the poo poo he does certainly is.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Sounds pretty drat crazy.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Our CIO is requesting anyone brought in for an interview fill out some application that lists education and work experience on it, no loving idea why.

He got also got mad when someone who had accepted an offer ended up turning it down for another position elsewhere. I think he asked the hiring manager if we had any legal options??

He’s not completely crazy but some of the poo poo he does certainly is.

I think I've stopped listing my education on my resume around 28.

Unrelated, let me tell you my tale of woe: I'm really good at WPF. I really like WPF. WPF is a pretty niche skill though and I'm not convinced I have particularly high mobility. The moral of the story is to keep on learning - never stop learning, and hopefully you are learning something for web...

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

lol I've noped out of online applications that wanted me to basically copy+paste all the job history from my resume into their UI - probably not worth the time given how likely I am to get a reply

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Unrelated, let me tell you my tale of woe: I'm really good at WPF. I really like WPF. WPF is a pretty niche skill though and I'm not convinced I have particularly high mobility. The moral of the story is to keep on learning - never stop learning, and hopefully you are learning something for web...

I think it could be worth listing your education if you’ve got like a masters degree or something a little more, but like I’ve just got a bachelors. It’s the bare minimum. And I’m not sure any of the skills I learned in college are something I use on a routine basis that it’s worth wasting the section on my resume.

I’ll second your love of WPF though. That’s what made me love working in .NET at my old job. I was good at UI stuff. They were switching their main app to Angular, so your moral still sticks.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
WPF is a mixed bag for me. Granted I don't have much experience with it, but from what I saw the two-way databinding required a lot of boilerplate code, something that I feel defeats the purpose of databinding. Also the default styles don't look great- seemed to be filled with misaligned textbox margins and whatnot. Overall it feels like it lacks polish to me.

Part of it was just it leaving a bad first impression- back when WPF first came around it ran like garbage, to the point where I could tell if an app was WPF vs basic WinForms solely by how unresponsive it was.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

You can always drop stuff from your resume if it doesn't line up with the job you want to get right now. If you think you'd rather do something less niche, e.g. build some internets with React, do what you can to fill out those skills and drop things that may make employers suspicious (why are you, a Cobol wizard, applying for JavaScript job?).

If someone really really wants to split hairs about what you've done professionally and what's a skill from a personal project you can handle that later in the interview process.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Leave the Bachelor's in your resume as a one liner so that the automated resume processor doesn't drop you sight unseen.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Volmarias posted:

Leave the Bachelor's in your resume as a one liner so that the automated resume processor doesn't drop you sight unseen.

I agree, to some people/machines it is make or break that you have it. You spent 4 years on it, put it down as one line at least.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Oof my team lead just pushed his only PR in months of being on the team and it adds a relative ton of code and introduces a new framework for something that could have done more concisely using things already in heavy use for the team. It’s also a Big Bang ‘make thing go’ ticket that was being worked on outside of our sprint workflow for literal months. I don’t realistically expect something that’s been baking so long will be reworked substantially but my gentlest of feedback is that the team may have difficulty supporting and debugging it.

I’ve got about one other functioning engineer in the team who’s able to sort of stay on task and actually help me, otherwise the team is either unfocused and chasing trivialities or unable to get a single (not unreasonably sized) ticket done over multiple sprints.

Meanwhile our sprints are snowballing as we double down on uncompleted work without rethinking priority or checking our capacity - we are currently overstuffed with about 3x what math says we can do.

I don’t dislike these people but I don’t get it, I’m used to being on a team that at minimum is more bought in about getting something useful out of scrum instead of turning it into a hopeless death march with story points.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

YanniRotten posted:

Oof my team lead just pushed his only PR in months of being on the team and it adds a relative ton of code and introduces a new framework for something that could have done more concisely using things already in heavy use for the team. It’s also a Big Bang ‘make thing go’ ticket that was being worked on outside of our sprint workflow for literal months. I don’t realistically expect something that’s been baking so long will be reworked substantially but my gentlest of feedback is that the team may have difficulty supporting and debugging it.

I’ve got about one other functioning engineer in the team who’s able to sort of stay on task and actually help me, otherwise the team is either unfocused and chasing trivialities or unable to get a single (not unreasonably sized) ticket done over multiple sprints.

Meanwhile our sprints are snowballing as we double down on uncompleted work without rethinking priority or checking our capacity - we are currently overstuffed with about 3x what math says we can do.

I don’t dislike these people but I don’t get it, I’m used to being on a team that at minimum is more bought in about getting something useful out of scrum instead of turning it into a hopeless death march with story points.

is there no management? that sounds like a huge mess.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Inacio posted:

is there no management? that sounds like a huge mess.

No effective management, I guess is how I’d put it. The direct manager of all engineers on my team has too many direct reports (several teams worth honestly could be 20+ people). This person is here for performance management and 1:1s type stuff but absolutely does not attend our sprint ceremonies.

Technically a less overbooked manager is in charge of the actual work we are doing which is kind of a weird split. This person has not really inserted themself at all into the process, they are in attendance at meetings but they sure aren’t steering the boat.

I feel like a lot of people are trapped at home and struggling for whatever reason (me too) but for sure middle management seems to have more of an opportunity than ever to just check out.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Sounds like management is setting an example and that it's time for some resume-driven development on your part.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

YanniRotten posted:

No effective management, I guess is how I’d put it. The direct manager of all engineers on my team has too many direct reports (several teams worth honestly could be 20+ people). This person is here for performance management and 1:1s type stuff but absolutely does not attend our sprint ceremonies.

Technically a less overbooked manager is in charge of the actual work we are doing which is kind of a weird split. This person has not really inserted themself at all into the process, they are in attendance at meetings but they sure aren’t steering the boat.

I feel like a lot of people are trapped at home and struggling for whatever reason (me too) but for sure middle management seems to have more of an opportunity than ever to just check out.

That sounds like the company I just left and their prod dev team, like eerily similar. Good to know that that kind of mgmt is all over. I def agree that it's probably a good time to focus on yourself and getting some feelers out. If anything, it'll give you some options and less stress on your day to day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Volmarias posted:

This is especially true if you're in an area with a decent number of government contractors. Contracts often specify minimum credentials for certain positions, most often requiring a BS for a developer role, and sometimes a masters for a management position.