Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Does Fox news report on death numbers?

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

I personally can't wait for enthusiastic Republicans, and others, to go to NC for the Republican Convention. Mission Accomplished ya'll, go hog wild.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Hell yeah freedom con

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What are we supposed to see in that?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

ilmucche posted:

What are we supposed to see in that?

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 26, 2020

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Here in Switzerland things are borderline back to normal and seem to be stabilizing. Hair salons, etc, have been open for 3ish weeks now and schools are back in session and there seems to be no noticeable uptick in active cases. This is also with the amount of people wearing masks being basically a rounding error, except in certain situations (hair salons, poo poo like that). I think the Swiss people took it quite seriously thanks to a competent federal authority alongside quality cantonal oversight, a lot of individuals saying #stayhome, the police nudging people in the right direction and basically the infrastructure to handle basically everybody deciding to ride their bikes. The Police were never really arresting people, they broke up the ineveitable protest a couple of times before being proactive and just started preventing them from assembling. For example loving everyone wants to go down to Ticino/Italy for Easter, the Federal government basically said over and over again 'Please I know you want to Ticino for Easter but please don't". And while they didn't prevent people from driving down there, they would pull you over and basically shame you into turning around. In addition, the Swiss version of the PPP was an absolute knockout. Basically you just filled out a form and you had the money a few days later. Not without controversy, but they were also quite open about saying 'yup there's going to be fraud, but in the end it will cost them so much money, it's not worth it'.

Basically my takeaway is that if you suck it up like a grownup for a little while, you can get the number of active cases down to a negligible number, and with contact tracing, social distancing and an absence of mass gatherings I think you can keep it together during the summer months. To be fair, I think Switzerland got quite lucky in that Ticino and Italy got hit really hard early which meant people took it more seriously than if it had happened in Portugal/Spain, if that makes sense.

This weekend we had a social distancing BBQ with another family, which I was really dreading because the husband, normally just a lame wet blanket, has definitely gone down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole. It wasn't as bad as it could be, but he definitely worked his opinion in wherever he could. My wife works in journalism and he was like 'so do you guys tell both sides of the story?' to which she replied 'yes, that's our job' (in more words than that), which he seemed to accept. He also was bragging about all the places he had gone out to eat and stuff and I just shrugged it off, which was my strategy in general.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

bollig posted:

Here in Switzerland ...

I'm in Bern and you notice people are just really tired of being inside. I'm interested on covid-19 rates in a week since we just had a long bank holiday with really nice and warm weather and everyone was out and about which forced some of the main outside attractions to close down.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
What do the Swiss cook at bbqs

I want to go to a Swiss bbq

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Alan Smithee posted:

Books, mostly.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Helios Grime posted:

I'm in Bern and you notice people are just really tired of being inside. I'm interested on covid-19 rates in a week since we just had a long bank holiday with really nice and warm weather and everyone was out and about which forced some of the main outside attractions to close down.

Same and I personally thought that their decision to close down a lot of green space, at least during the day, was quite short sighted, even at the time. Although I could imagine that people were gathering there at night, but still in general it seemed like people were quite good about keeping apart when out and about, and closing them down just meant that it pushed people closer together. There have been several times, Easter for example, when I"ve kind of held my breath to see if there's an uptick or anything but it doesn't seem to be the case. This could be a big one though. A lot of people traveled.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Alan Smithee posted:

The Swiss as a people love nothing more than grilling and they are terrible at it. A lot of the green space is pockmarked because people just set up disposable grills and blacken the poo poo out of their thick skinned sausages https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cervelat. They also like to start it from scratch, meaning they collect sticks or scrap wood. Many people do this on their balconies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Australia let another plague ship into port

https://twitter.com/Sophiemcneill/status/1265150141809389568

It turns out that the federal department of agriculture was aware some of the crew were unwell and still gave them permission to dock but the local port authorities hadn't got the message and didn't find out there were sick people on board until several days after it'd arrived and some random guy who worked on the pier just happened to bring it up. There's a lot of finger pointing going on now and the minister for agriculture is desperately trying to backpedal and deflect blame.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...526-p54wkx.html

State premier's statement: https://www.facebook.com/MarkMcGowanMP/posts/4096763753674801

Also the ship was here to pick up 56,000 live sheep for export to Kuwait and the UAE and there's going to be a three month moratorium on live exports from Australia starting next week and if the ship had been denied entry to port until they'd been checked for coronavirus then they may have missed that window and someone would probably have lost a LOT of money so the timing is all somewhat suspicious.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
All live exports should be banned.

Given that WA is justifiably gung ho about keeping their borders closed, I hope whichever sheep station greased the wheels gets all the hate in the world.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
People shut down hairdressers in your countries? Do everyone just look like poo poo now over there?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is one of the non-top-8-allergens this malformed dweeb is allergic to called 'acting like an adult'?

reallybigpants posted:

Any safety factors, including allergens, is exempted from this labeling flexibility.

If you have a food allergy you shouldn't need to worry about this at all.

I work in academia on food allergies and thought I should point this out.

But then how will the horribly allergic-to-living-piss-baby from twitter make the pandemic about himself with performative garbage tweets like this?

"I cant. This isnt. what Do I do :qq: " :rolleyes: Perhaps if instead of acting like a helpless baby he acted like an adult and shared the information in a rational way, people might be able to offer advice, such as how to avoid the non-top-8 allergen hes apparently going to die from if a single molecule occupies the same square mile he is in? why cant he just say 'yo Im allergic to sunflower oil to the point it might kill me if i eat it, and they want to change the laws around food labelling so that they dont have to put a warning on the label if they switch to sunflower oil from the norm!'

'oh no, the only things i can eat are fresh fruit and vegetables! :qq: ' Like how is this even a problem? what the gently caress does he think humans survived on before processed and prepackaged food? what the gently caress does he think vegan/vegetarians eat right now?

do what most people I know with life-threatening(and even just boring mild discomfort causing) allergies do, which is make everything from raw ingredients that you know wont affect you. gently caress. Im not allergic to poo poo; my ex was, and I happily started making all our food from scratch to keep her healthy. its fun and tastes better and its good for you.

Im not saying that the changes dont sound completely insane. They are completely insane and people will probably die. This guy is insufferable though, and people do not listen to insufferable people.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Zzulu posted:

People shut down hairdressers in your countries? Do everyone just look like poo poo now over there?

Yes, for a while we were all scruffy bois

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Agreed. The guy that can die from a food allergy should suck it the gently caress up and stop being such a loving whiner. :rolleyes:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Meat Wagon posted:

Agreed. The guy that can die from a food allergy should suck it the gently caress up and stop being such a loving whiner. :rolleyes:

no what my point is that he should shut the gently caress up and learn to cook.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Piss Meridian posted:

Yes, for a while we were all scruffy bois

I went back to wearing baseball caps because of this, even after I cut my hair I'm still wearing them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zzulu posted:

I've seen several discussion on my FB feed today of people who are really excited that they can finally go back to the hairdressers after 8 weeks

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Sausages mostly, some steaks and burgers. I've been to several bbq get-togethers in Switzerland and none of them were particularly good, just weird German and French dudes cooking stuff on a grill cause that's what Americans do (in Switzerland there's a surprising number of people who just really like American pop culture, and one of those things is BBQs, it's like how a lot of Americans inexplicably love Japanese pop culture)

One time I brought some home-made tamales and salsa and two different, unrelated people came up to me and were like "This salsa dish, how do you eat this? Is this soup?"

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 26, 2020

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

Sausages mostly, some steaks and burgers. I've been to several bbq get-togethers in Switzerland and none of them were particularly good, just weird German and French dudes cooking stuff on a grill cause that's what Americans do (in Switzerland there's a surprising number of people who just really like American pop culture, and one of those things is BBQs, it's like how a lot of Americans inexplicably love Japanese pop culture)

One time I brought some home-made tamales and salsa and two different, unrelated people came up to me and were like "This salsa dish, how do you eat this? Is this soup?"

How far away are you from me cause I'll eat all those tamales, thank you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Helios Grime posted:

How far away are you from me cause I'll eat all those tamales, thank you.

Probably around 1.5 oceans of distance, or about 10 years in time

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I had to explain that you eat fresh salsa with chips once or twice. Whenever my wife makes 7-layer bean dip it's a borderline Copernican revolution. There is a restaurant in town that sells tacos and they want $25 FOR 3 TACOS. I'll stop ripping on the Swiss and their milquetoast palate now. WRT hairdressers, I had to cut my 2y/o's hair which, except for a couple strays, I think I did quite well.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I cut my own late night in the garage lol

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Oh so they have a cookout.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Zzulu posted:

I don't think I've had a haircut this year. I couldn't decide how I wanted it cut and then shutdown happened and lol.

(I still don't know how I want it cut but can confirm, it looks poo poo.)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Burt Sexual posted:

I cut my own late night in the garage lol

well yeah it’s easier to just use the yard blower to just get the pubes outside

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
For all the talk of Fox and the damage it does in providing an echo chamber to PIST OFF boomers, I'm surprised that nobody ever mentions Joe Rogan. He has a huge audience that spans multiple demographics, many of which have no exposure to alt-right talking points and brainwashing aside from what Mr. Rogan slips in there.

He used to be a lot more careful about showing his rear end politically, but something really changed in the last year or so. He went from only really making GBS threads on the Clintons to straight up acting like a White House Press Secretary, changing the topic from covid deaths to OBAMAGATE recently.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

He is mentioned in this thread from time to time. It's just that's his political opinion is just so temporal that I find a bit annoying when listening to him. He usually just have stoner talk with people and will agree with the last thing he heard most of the time. He only push back when people go mask off on him and some people will self-destruct their career on his show, without him doing much.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

bollig posted:

I had to explain that you eat fresh salsa with chips once or twice. Whenever my wife makes 7-layer bean dip it's a borderline Copernican revolution. There is a restaurant in town that sells tacos and they want $25 FOR 3 TACOS. I'll stop ripping on the Swiss and their milquetoast palate now.

They charge 20USD for a subway sub, never stop ripping on the Swiss.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Zzulu posted:

Half of us look like filthy hippies and the other half have badly done buzzcuts. And that's just the women

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Also I am a bit upset at Joe Rogan's Show because he is one of the factor that "red pilled' my friend with poo poo people like Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson. Idiots that doesn't know what the gently caress they are talking about but sound smarter then the average right winger. With words like cultural Marxisim that make no loving sense but sound scary/make sense to people who are reactionary by nature.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 26, 2020

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

my friend picks up some pretty lovely stuff from joe rogan over the years. he had a bit of time telling me about how hard done men are by women and how mens rights people have a point which i'm like 99% sure he picked up from joe rogan because i have no idea why he would start talking about it because he was like 20 years old and never had a divorce or whatever. also, he kept going on about how some nazi was just a comedian and wasn't actually a nazi because joe rogan had interviewed him and the nazi had promised he wasn't a nazi.

it was the guy who trained his dog to hitler salute while he screamed heil hitler and he then joined a far right group in the uk

e: i should say my friend isn't a nazi or a chud or whatever, he's just really impressionable and can be kinda dumb.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 26, 2020

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I work for my state's department of public health and we're all going back to the office on Monday. No one wears masks or thinks this is real. We handle regulatory issues with nursing homes. I'm scared as poo poo.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Bleusilences posted:

Also I am a bit upset at joe rogan because he is one of the factor that "red pilled' my friend with poo poo people like Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson. Idiots that doesn't know what the gently caress they are talking about but sound smarter then the average right winger. With words like cultural Marxisim that make no loving sense but sound scary/make sense to people who are reactionary by nature.

As an aside, the ladies who made the Matrix must really, REALLY utterly despise the fact that people are using the term red-pilled the way they are.

Like we're talking wall-punching levels of pissed off.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

are things just ... getting better?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah Joe Rogan is basically the gateway drug to the alt-right for people who smoke too much weed. Lost a couple friends thanks to that path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

For all the talk of Fox and the damage it does in providing an echo chamber to PIST OFF boomers, I'm surprised that nobody ever mentions Joe Rogan. He has a huge audience that spans multiple demographics, many of which have no exposure to alt-right talking points and brainwashing aside from what Mr. Rogan slips in there.

He used to be a lot more careful about showing his rear end politically, but something really changed in the last year or so. He went from only really making GBS threads on the Clintons to straight up acting like a White House Press Secretary, changing the topic from covid deaths to OBAMAGATE recently.

He's a pseudo intellectual for the bro crowd that's pretty much it. Basically a Ben Shapiro but OMG HE SMOKES WEED. I really don't understand how he got so popular but I know he's poisoning a lot of peoples mind with some light alt right poo poo.