Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Signed up and ready to watch him spiral! I just finished a major milestone in my play through and I adore the game’s atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Day 9: Story

Music: story 2

>I'll pick A.

The letter ‘A’ is a fascinating one. My name starts with it as well. Those who choose A are sensitive to the opinions of others about them, and are result-oriented people. As such, they are excellent listeners, and are loved by many. People will flock to them.

---

>Why not B?

People who choose B are detail-oriented. They are rational, realistic, and honest to their needs, even to the point where others may perceive them as snobs. However, the pursuit of practical interest and the tendency to avoid loss will lead them to success. Personally, I dislike the letter ‘B’.

---

>C sounds nice.

Alright, the letter ‘C’. Not a bad choice. Persons who select C believe that the process is more important than the outcome. Therefore, they are good at planning ahead and enjoy change. They will be able to gain insight and attain inner growth without being confined by the rules.

---

Routes Merge Here

There is no scientific basis behind the observations, but it is admittedly a little fun to waste time with these “tests”. You know, maybe I could imagine… Whether I would have been this or that kind of person if I were human.

In summary: We get cosmo quizzed and find out Angela's feelings about a couple of letters. Apparently she hates B. She also likes to think about what she'd be like if she were human, and seems a little self-conscious about it.

Music: Town - Alone in a Crowd

:v: O… Ox!

:j: Hey, that’s cheating! That’s not a place at all! Doesn’t count.

:j: Oops, I didn’t know you were here, Sephirah Yesod, sir!

:v: Sorry, I know we aren’t supposed to slack during work hours… But he insisted we…

:j: What?! You started it! You wanted to get back at me for last time, remember?

:v: Shut it, you dork!

I just love these two random employees. :allears:

:v: :j: O-Of course, Sephirah, sir! We’re sorry!

Looks like word chaining is starting to become one of the more popular pastimes here again. Do you happen to enjoy word chaining, manager?

Music: UNKNOWN from M2

:synthy: I know, I know. Just this once, please? You know what happens if I fail to finish the assigned work regime! Besides, you know how Sally went in at 82% one time and came out fine? And I’m only at 81%! Please?

:synthy: Come on, what are friends for? Act so strict and the employees will end up isolating you. It’ll be so lonely.

You know that the word “playmate” has no place in this corp—

:synthy: Whoops! My bad, my bad! Anyway, can I please get to work now, my lord Yesod~? Don’t forget that I cut you some slack yesterday when we were playing word chain.

And make sure to take a psychological examination right afterwards.

:synthy: You bet! Thank you, Yesod! See you in a bit!

Music: Insignia Decay

Through the clothing, I can see my skin covered with festering boils. Of course, my body is perfectly fine when I open my eyes. It has come to a point where I’ve begun to find the sight of my normal skin strange and unnatural.

I’ve asked the other Sephirot about those visions, but it seems I’m the only one who experiences this.

In summary: Yesod apparently has word chain-based trauma, which is brought up by a pair of employees playing around on the job. Somehow, our manager has the ability to view the flashbacks of the Sephirot, so we see him give a little bit of slack to a friend before he takes a few moments to talk about something he should probably see a therapist for. :stare:

So… what happened to James?

Are you that curious?

Well, yeah.

Then I'll tell you tomorrow. If you can handle this:

...do managers ever fail these?

You'd be surprised.

Right… well, see you tomorrow.

Next time, on Lobotomy Corporation: Oscar Wilde references, shiny new damage numbers and lots of Attachment work!

:sigh: It's not here...

Oh, Manager? I thought you'd be preparing for tomorrow.

Oh! Malkuth. Hello. Can I help you?

Oh, not at all! Everything is perfectly under control here, and there are no problems as usual! Rather, I wanted to ask how I could help you?

Whyyyy would I need help? I'm fine. Got it all in hand.

Are you certain, Manager? I'd be more than happy to provide an opinion on any possible new hires!

No, that's not necessary. Rather, I'm looking for information on our current employees.

Through their resumes?

Yeah. I can't seem to find any of the ones I'm looking for, though. No worries.

Have you asked Angela?

I don't want to bother her with this. She's got her hands full already.

Oh! Well, good luck finding whichever resume you're looking for!

Thanks, Malkuth. You have a safe day.

Don't worry! It'll be perfect as always!

...Phew.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 29, 2021

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

So Angela is deliberately wasting our time, Yesod is having traumatic flashbacks and weird hallucinations and yet is still our most sane AI, and our employees are obsessed with grade-school crap. :sigh:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's absolutely wonderful that even our AIs can have weird hallucinations. Welcome to lobotomy corp, where we've learned how to give human mental disorders to non-humans.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

golden bubble posted:

It's absolutely wonderful that even our AIs can have weird hallucinations. Welcome to lobotomy corp, where we've learned how to give human mental disorders to non-humans.

Seems appropriate for computers in a world powered by insanity. If they weren't built to be capable of withstanding a lot of weirdness then they'd get subverted in no time.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

So Angela is deliberately wasting our time, Yesod is having traumatic flashbacks and weird hallucinations and yet is still our most sane AI, and our employees are obsessed with grade-school crap. :sigh:

I'm sure the Cosmo quiz and the fact that her favored response is "A" has nothing to do with the fact that our corporation's glorious founder was named A.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Someone earlier suggested that the AIs might be former employees who got uploaded, if that's true then Angela might be the glorious founder and Yesod might be having flashbacks of how he was dying before he got uploaded. Would explain a lot about how they're kinda cracked up.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Come to think of it, this was day 9, so next up is day 10! :yayclod:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Day 9: Gameplay

Music: neutral 1

For our new research today, we immediately grab the other UI upgrade, so that we can see in straight numbers how much damage is dealt. It's worth noting that the interface rounds the damage to the nearest whole number, so a 5 could mean taking anywhere from 4.5-5.4 damage. This almost never matters.

Weapons get shuffled around, as I hand Talow, D.A.D, and Mr.Black a Christmas club. I completely forget to equip the suit decide we don't need better defenses today. :v:

It's time. Remember to follow the protocols.

I'll head over to the new abnormality, then!

I'm… sorry, you want to run that by me again?

We're running an interdepartmental training program. As team captain, I have to pick someone to hang out with the Information team today. With your low temperance, you're ideal for the training regiment they have in mind.

Training regiment?

I asked Talow during suitup, he mentioned having you work with Laetitia.

Oh! She's a very good girl. It'll all be fine!

Alright… I guess I'll give it a shot!

Huh… wasn't this portrait blank before? Oh well. Hey good-looking! I bet you smell like jerky. :ocelot:

When we send an agent to work with our new abnormality, they get their picture placed on the frame. Additionally, they get a freaky green cloud and an icon over their head.

...huh. Did you just feel an ominous tingle?

:j: ...no?

Must just be me, then.

Meanwhile, someone else in the facility at random gets the same symbol, and the same fog effect. Today's lucky winner is Tylana. Future uses by the same person do nothing else. We could theoretically use the portrait 10 times in a row to quickly unlock all of the information right from the start.

So we do that, of course. Portrait of Another World transfers damage from one agent to another, albeit with a 1.5x modifier on the damage being passed. Walking someone else in to set up a new picture kills the first agent. This means that right now we need to be careful about taking SP damage on Mizu, because Tylana only has 42 SP and would be taking extra damage if it's passed over.

I just can't get enough of looking at how cool I am. :allears:

Our first meltdown hits the portrait. This is always nice, since once someone's assigned to it it's free to just have them check back in.

Green Dawn incoming, Manager!

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to test the new interface.

So this is the Information team, huh? What do you guys do to pass the time around here?

We used to play word chain, but a couple of the clerks got in a lot of trouble for it being non work-related.

So it's report-writing?

Hey, you're going to need to learn the format eventually. Odds are you'll be replacing us when the new department opens.

There's a new department opening?

In about two days, probably.

Control team, take care of your Doubt ASAP.

With pleasure!

Every time damage is dealt from now on (including in containment cells), we see a nice number rise up out of the damage taker. Here, Bishop is dealing 11 B damage to the Doubt with his gun.

And here is a Doubt getting its face kicked in. :hellyeah:

When damage is dealt, there will be either no text, or one of four other messages: Fatal, Weak, Endure, or Resist. These correspond to how much damage the agent is taking from the attack's color. With only 150 HP, this poor Doubt just melts, barely managing to scratch Mr.Black.

Mizu is sent to deal with the other Doubt, which has the poor luck of walking near Rudolta's door while D.A.D. was finishing up a work on it. The two team up and annihilate the ordeal.

Nice clubbin'.

Nice shootin'.

Strut back to the main room?

Yeah, sounds good.

With nothing else to do, we just pass the time working and farming up our weaker stats.

---

...what is it with him and smiling, anyways?

Do you not have his resume directly on hand? You could simply look.

...Oh, you're right. Let's see… he's from District 23, and he has a 5-year history in food services... Ah. That explains it.

Are food service jobs particularly strenuous, Manager? I lack any experience outside of this place, as I remain unable to leave this facility.

Let's just say I'm not surprised he's a bit off. :v:

A little bit later, we get a meltdown on mirror. Since our agents are all relatively strong I had decided not to mirror them immediately and wait for something like this, just so we wouldn't lose any energy.

Mr.Black loses about 20 or so Justice and dumps it all in Temperance. Not ideal. :rolldice:

I've been here as long as you.

Oh! You're back. I was practicing! For talking to Tylana later.

She's been here for nearly a week. I don't think you have to encourage her anymore.

It's my duty as her superior officer!

Hey guys, I'm ba-

Thank… you? ...why do you smell like jerky?

It's the mask! :D

Another meltdown hits the mirror, and this time we give Talow's stats a roll.

I feel really just all of a sudden.

Talow is never touching the mirror again. :getin:

Meanwhile, with Forsaken Murderer's meltdown…

Yesod, Bishop is working with One Sin, and I have Mr.Black working with 1.76. Can you spare someone for the Forsaken Murderer's meltdown?

Mizu, get to it. We should be able to learn something from this.

Righty-o, boss!

As we can see, Mizu is taking 0 damage from the Forsaken Murderer, even though normally he'd be dealing ~1-2 per hit. Where is it going?

Just got this new hat, and now I'm having a pounding headache… The hell?

As advertised, it's transferred to Tylana and boosted by 1.5x what it would have been. Because of this, no matter how much damage Mizu would take she counts as taking 0 damage. This means that the Portrait is absolutely terrible for most training! :pseudo:

After mopping up the meltdowns, I decide to end the day off with a bit more training for Talow. With only 34 HP and wearing a 1.5x B armor, he may be in prime Laetitia training territory.

I do some quick math and determine that he'd have to hit 8 or fewer successes to have a realistic chance of dying, and because Laetitia is a good girl who has done nothing wrong in her life that isn't likely to happen. Time to power level Fortitude again. :getin:

:j: Want… hat?

No thanks. Sorry, but I try to avoid accepting gifts from Abnormalities.

:j: Oh… :(

More tea?

:j: Okay…

He nearly dies a few times, but that just makes the gains all the bigger.

Okay, pack it in everyone!

I end the day before the next meltdown can finish. There's two units in particular that need a closer look today:

First there's Talow, whose 93 justice here and 103 justice on his status screen earlier means that his title is granting +10 to his total justice stat. This is incredibly good. Then there's Tylana, who has basically gained 50 points of temperance in a single day. She's getting up there with our rank 5 agents, and she's hands-down the best HP tank our facility has.

Music: Acid Bleeding

Huh. That's not the usual track for this screen...

WHAT THE FU-?!

Next time on Lobotomy Corporation: :unsmigghh:

New Story

Portrait of Another World

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 30, 2020

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I see the game finally enabled HD textures.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

smh can't even get a decent janitor around these parts

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Oh, good, our brain is now broken. I was wondering when that was going to happen.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Ratoslov posted:

Oh, good, our brain is now broken. I was wondering when that was going to happen.

More likely to be the other way around, methinks.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This is a great WTF moment.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
I've been past day 10 before and I don't remember this

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I was waiting for this :getin:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yay sanity points!

I may have some words about this story beat but not until TQ posts the rest of it (so I can remember what is actually said)

Edit : Also I haven't played in 2 weeks, rip. Need to press some buttons and do some stuff before letting myself pass day 26. Instead I'm just grinding gear looping with repository.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 30, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Finally we have pierced the veil and seen the truth of the world

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What the hell?

This game is fascinating!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is such a surreal moment that makes perfect sense for what is to come.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Looking a lot less artificial than usual there, Angela, what's your secret?

...probably won't notice anything weird about this. Nobody ever does when this sort of thing happens.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

This is when the game hooked me 100%. I look forward to the rest of that story post!

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
such a brilliant maneuver, given what happens later in certain challenges

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009

The music in this game is really, really good.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Not The Wendigo posted:

The music in this game is really, really good.

depending on the music it is also extremely anxiety inducing

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Abnormality Roundup 2

It's that time again. Four more abnormalities, and with it four more summaries. Overall, I'm quite pleased with how the facility is coming together. We've got a lot of good abnormalities, and the only thing I really want to see now is one of the HE-tier Justice trainers to bring everything together trainingwise. We still need two more abnormalities which breach for an upcoming mission, but we do have a bit of wiggle room on completing it so I'm not particularly worried about anything just yet.

Today's Shy Look

These numbers are only a baseline, as depending on the face Today's Shy Look gives +30%, +10%, +0%, -30%, and -50% to its work rates. In theory, this should work with the black damage the abnormality deals to make it good at training everything as long as you can hit a good face. In reality, because it heals agents' HP+SP on the :D face and SP on the :) face, it works out to only be any good for training Justice, and only if you can get it to stay where you want. The face change is completely random, so past the extremely early stages of the game it makes sense to just throw a somewhat strong agent at the cell when it melts down and otherwise ignore it. Trying to force good results from it after day 10 or so is a waste of time.

Decent gear for early game, though, and one of the most hilarious E.G.O gifts in the game.

Laetitia

Laetitia is a good girl who has done nothing wrong in her life. With incredibly lenient management conditions, low black damage, and three decent or better work types, Laetitia is a powerhouse trainer for every stat but Justice. Her gear is very strong, and her suit in particular can enable a rank 5 agent to work with several ALEPHs safely. In addition, it's the first suit we've seen with a pale resistance of 1.5x.

Pale damage resistance below 2x is nonexistent below HE-tier suits, and we probably won't see 1.0x or better pale resistances until we start getting ALEPH suits. There aren't many abnormalities which deal pale damage when worked, but the ones that do deal so small an amount of base pale damage that half of them can be worked reliably with a 1.5x pale suit and good temperance. This suit enables us to work those pale abnormalities, which is always a good option to have.

This is a lot of words to spend on a wee witch, but in conclusion Laetitia is a rarity in that she is really good at training your stats, easy to contain, and has great equipment. Most abnormalities only have 1-2 of these at best, which makes Laetitia a high-priority pick in any facility I build.

Rudolta of the Sleigh

Click here for full size sprite

It feels very strange to say this about a body horror Santa/Rudolph hybrid, but Rudolta is kind of boring. It has an amazing design aesthetic, but is otherwise a relatively simple "do good or I break out" type of abnormality. It gives more weapons/suits than Laetitia does, and its suits have a 1.5x pale resistance as well, but their poor B resist makes them less useful the later into the game we go. High-power W damage weapons are nice to have around, however, and the lack of requirements on the Christmas weapon is very useful in the event that you want to equip a good weapon onto a brand new agent. It's a good Prudence trainer and it does breach, which is handy for a couple missions, but in the end it just feels like a really cool concept with a slightly disappointing execution.

Not that it'll stop me from grabbing it, since 'boring' is better than 'everyone is dead now.' :v:

Portrait of Another World

As demonstrated, Portrait lets us pass damage off onto other agents with a 1.5x multiplier, turning one agent into a superunit at the possible cost of the rest of your facility. Not mentioned earlier-after 100 damage being transferred the portrait actually begins changing to a masked picture, and then a weird wispy thing after another 100, both included above. If this happens, the multiplier changes to a 2x multiplier, then a 2.5x multiplier. As a result you want to try and keep whoever is being damaged from taking too many hits. This is a rather versatile ability for survival, as the agent outside can be kept in a main room where healing works properly on them while they're being damaged. The downside is that it completely removes the damage modifier from any exp that agent would be gaining, turning things into trading long term growth for short term survivability. I can think of several cases where this is a good deal, but overall this abnormality falls off in usefulness as we approach mid- and especially late-game.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 10, 2020

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I've put my game down for a while because I'm starting to hit a bit of a wall in my game and I've been dreading having to consider a day 1 reset with proper knowledge and to see some more earlier abnormalities. I missed out on good Temperance and Prudence trainers, ironically Justice being the easiest training I have due to getting (probably, with my limited knowledge) two of the best HE Justice trainers along with 1.76htz in a single department. TeeQueue, if you feel like you're hitting a soft wall can it ultimately be better to just full reset? I haven't gotten to reset to Memory Repository before, so I'm not sure if it forces you to pick the same Abnormality again or if you can pick a different one, so not sure if I just want to start over knowing what I know now or just keep on trucking till I hit a hard wall.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Boring rules spoilered Repository resets let you pick new abnormalities (but not on the morning the memory is recorded.) Keeping completed quests, unlocked info, and E.G.O. equipment (but not gifts I thiink.) I've been repeatedly reseting to 21 while getting some gear and working on getting various red buttons pressed. Have you reached the point of better recruits?

EDIT : Extra minor spoiler If you haven't gotten to Tipereth yet, be aware you do get more chances to get Zayin/Teth/HE abnormalities.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 31, 2020

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

SaffronKit posted:

I've put my game down for a while because I'm starting to hit a bit of a wall in my game and I've been dreading having to consider a day 1 reset with proper knowledge and to see some more earlier abnormalities. I missed out on good Temperance and Prudence trainers, ironically Justice being the easiest training I have due to getting (probably, with my limited knowledge) two of the best HE Justice trainers along with 1.76htz in a single department. TeeQueue, if you feel like you're hitting a soft wall can it ultimately be better to just full reset? I haven't gotten to reset to Memory Repository before, so I'm not sure if it forces you to pick the same Abnormality again or if you can pick a different one, so not sure if I just want to start over knowing what I know now or just keep on trucking till I hit a hard wall.

Same, I'm a bit further, but I think the combination of anomalities I have makes impossible to do what I want. It's probably a day 1 reset for me.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
There's a difference between just resetting to day 1 and a hard reset. Picking the start at day 1 option keeps all your research, upgrades, and unlocked weapons and armors, whereas hard resetting via the logo button deletes everything. It's pretty expected to use the first option once or twice if you aren't coming in with knowledge of the abnormalities and how everything works.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have been taking a break as well. I am very late in and whilst I am happy with how things are working out, I am dreading what I will have to deal with when it comes to the later challenges. Chances are I will do as much as I can before hitting the reset button one more time before plowing through to the end.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I have a crazy combo of anomolies that will safely turn a newbie into a 5 Temperance, 5 Fortitude monster in two days (and one of them can be used to train Justice on the newly buffed agents), but one is a device that is purely beneficial unless you do The Wrong Thing, at which point it instantly and cheerfully vaporizes half to all my agents, depending on my (lack of) luck. WAWs don't gently caress around.

It's funny, I have a facility full of abominations with prima donnas expectations, but the one that's giving me the most trouble (to the point I'm considering a memory reset) is by far the simplest. :v:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well, I used the reset to day one.

I got a new Aleph Abnormality on day 12, and learned that yes it can escape. Time to leave it alone until my guys stats are maxed, I guess!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

SaffronKit posted:

TeeQueue, if you feel like you're hitting a soft wall can it ultimately be better to just full reset? I haven't gotten to reset to Memory Repository before, so I'm not sure if it forces you to pick the same Abnormality again or if you can pick a different one, so not sure if I just want to start over knowing what I know now or just keep on trucking till I hit a hard wall.

If you ever feel like your facility is too much to manage or that you can't get any further, there's never a problem with either return to day 1 or doing a memory repository back to the start of the week. You keep your gear and your information, and the game really seems to be balanced around restarting multiple times. Only a weird masochist would intentionally go through the game without taking advantage of the resets. :v:

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Well, I used the reset to day one.

I got a new Aleph Abnormality on day 12, and learned that yes it can escape. Time to leave it alone until my guys stats are maxed, I guess!

(Thanks to mizure for making this!)

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Day 10: Story

Music: Acid Bleeding

WHAT THE FU-?!

The light flickers on and off in the background, which adds to the effect here.

Music: story 4

There, I fixed it. There was a system error. How strange, it shouldn’t have been so easily compromised. It’s a technology originally developed during the war, now widely used for commercial purposes. It’s not that impressive of a technology, really.

If a manager like you were to suffer such a reaction, it would be very troublesome for me. So I installed a ‘cognition filter’ in your display. While the cognition filter functions, dead employees will look like cute dolls splattered with red paint. Abnormalities, even those who could ravage your mental state just by being in your sight, will be reduced to adorable toys on the screen of your office.

I cannot allow you to join them.

In summary: The facility is an absolute hellsite, and the only reason we as the Manager remain sane is because of a cognition filter that paints over everything to make it look cutesy. This sounds like it's one of the relatively new features Angela mentioned back on day 1, as our predecessors tended to go crazy without one.

Day 10 is the first real 'wham' day that the game has, timed for right about when we're supposed to be getting the hang of things. It's very effective in making it abundantly clear just how wrong things are around here.

Music: When Tv Turns Off

As you may know, having two Abnormalities breach and losing four agents is a rather significant loss of manpower.

I know the kind of place we work in. I am not regretful for the fact that I was unable to stop him. It’s that I regret having developed a personal relationship with him. I was careless with my position and let my subordinate exploit me.

James was a good joker too. Of course I had fun playing word chain. We grew so intimate that I would forgive his “trivial” rule violations. But the price I had to pay for the error I made was not trivial in any way.

We see body bags every single day. It’s a lonely place. Sometimes, you will feel the urge to share the distress and anxiety with someone else; to have a friend. But manager, whenever you feel lonely, please remember what happened to me. And try not to make the same mistake as I did. You will be able to get over the meaningless deaths that way.

People say that I am too rational. “Yesod the Cold-blooded Machine”, “Yesod the Viper”, “Yesod the Cruel and Emotionless”. A frigid being who won’t even bat an eye at the deaths of dozens of employees… I won’t deny that I deserve the reputation. However, whoever built this place has to be a much more cruel person than I am.

A vague sense of sympathy will only cloud your judgement. You are bound to make mistakes that way. Why would they place AIs with emotion to handle the facility, if they were well aware that emotion would only get in the way?

In summary: Yesod had a friend once, it was awful and he's dead now. We should therefore avoid ever having friends because in the end we're probably going to have to order them to be killed. Yesod also questions why it is that AIs with emotions were put in place here, if lacking them would make life easier. Despite being jealous of Angela, he's apparently got the makings of a decent person in there. :unsmith:

Our new mission is a step up from the last three… which makes it 'trivial' instead of 'pulse check.' We're still probably going to fail it tomorrow, because :rolldice:

Angela, I could smell that through the screen. How long have there been dead bodies piled up in that room?

It has been approximately 5 days, manager. Malkuth-

Of course. Go on.

Malkuth brought them in and tossed them about before moving on to complete her usual work.

Great. How… frequently is that room used?

This room is most often used for meetings with outside clients. A once referred to it as "the private public face of the company," referring to its dual nature of showing what we wish others to believe-

Yeah, yeah, it's important. Got it. The cleaning staff?

Malkuth requested they be sure not to touch the bodies, as it was her job alone per the Manager's orders.

Ooof course she did. :nallears:

At this point, it would be dangerous to send clerks to handle this. The number of bodies would likely raise their mental corruption to beyond acceptable levels. We could assign the agents to handle things, but this would leave the facility understaffed during the clean-up.

*sighs, before looking towards stack of resumes on the corner of his desk* ...Do it. I'll figure something out.

Yes, Manager.

Next time, on Lobotomy Corporation: Ten fresh level 1 agents try to keep everything from falling apart.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 2, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Great, now I want a challenge mode where the filter is disabled.

It gives you a sanity bar that drains when you look at abnormalities and corpses, and if it ever hits 0 you snap and Angela has to kill you.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

I'm sure the ten new agents can handle this just fine.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'll take corpse clean up detail over risking jerky-face, thank you.

Also I've been waiting for this because when I played I clicked through too fast and the game doesn't have a gallery mode. Between the text boxes being short and the chance of a panicked click you really might not get much more than a glance.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

oh, great, Angela has a filter on our sensory organs. this cannot possibly go badly for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tylana posted:

I'll take corpse clean up detail over risking jerky-face, thank you.

Also I've been waiting for this because when I played I clicked through too fast and the game doesn't have a gallery mode. Between the text boxes being short and the chance of a panicked click you really might not get much more than a glance.

To be fair, I did the same and it was very unnerving because my brain barely registered it, I only knew it was bad