Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

two cases that were:
2.5 months after being on the cruise ship, and

10 weeks after “returning from India”

literally only Queensland reporting roni time bombs when other places with far better contact tracing have reporting nothing of the sort in 6 months

I’m going to go out on a limb and say probably full of poo poo, unless they had them locked in a box for that entire period of time. whether the poo poo is “the roni came from outside the country obviously” or “we want our contact tracing to sound better than it is” is an excercise left to the reader

$10 on “they had the lovely phone app and the lovely phone app didn’t say anything about other known sick contacts so obviously the only other way they could have caught it was a heretofore unseen herpes style time bomb, it’s the only thing that could possibly explain it”

Queenslanders are famous for their ability to blatantly rewrite reality rather than accept the fact that their state may not be the perfect conservative tropical paradise they think it is. Homophobic MP Bob Katter famously refused to accept that there could be gay people living in his electorate. (It later turned out his brother Carl was gay.)

It's totally within their MO to pretend that covid community spread just isn't happening in their state. Caught it from someone in QLD? Nah can't have done, must have got it from foreigners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Just going to throw this out as a tasty calorie bomb that is dead simple.

Cook a bunch of pasta, what ever you have
Drain off most of the liquid and then add some butter and parmesan cheese.
Mix it till melted together
Season
Eat

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Look at this loving poo poo, we can have 100k dead just not on actual Memorial Day so uh just underreport for a few days so nobody can run with that headline

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Queenslanders are famous for their ability to blatantly rewrite reality rather than accept the fact that their state may not be the perfect conservative tropical paradise they think it is. Homophobic MP Bob Katter famously refused to accept that there could be gay people living in his electorate. (It later turned out his brother Carl was gay.)

It's totally within their MO to pretend that covid community spread just isn't happening in their state. Caught it from someone in QLD? Nah can't have done, must have got it from foreigners.

On my one trip to Australia, I was in Queensland for maybe 4 hours before I went "oooohhh I get it. It's the Florida of Australia."

Fraser Island was cool as hell though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I found another article, the QLD state premier is making a political point of claiming that QLD doesn't have "active community transmission" unlike NSW or Victoria and she's been pushing that fact to justify her lockdown policies

quote:

Queensland currently has just 12 active cases, following almost 175,000 tests. But Ms Palaszczuk is continuing to stand firm on her decision to keep the state’s border closed.

“We are not alone and I have made it very clear that we will review these issues at the end of each month, but my fundamental issue here is I will not put Queenslanders at risk,” she said on Monday.

At her press conference today she reaffirmed her stance saying NSW and Victoria had ‘active community transmission’ and she would not entertain reopening the border ‘until they get their cases under control’.

“I want to see Queenslanders get back to work as quickly as possible, so my priority is to get Queensland working ahead of other states,” she said.
https://www.couriermail.com.au/coro...bcda7fa2b134fed

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Facebook Aunt posted:

She's made her tweets private, LOL. What a pissbaby. If anyone still has it in cache a screenshot would be cool.

I only have this one cached

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I made this chinese style fried chicken 2 ways last night

Honestly the sauce for the legs wasn't that great. Too sweet.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Piggy Smalls posted:

starting work tomorrow and I’m nervous. bought some fully sealed goggles that look like scuba goggles and work is providing n95 masks. I’m a dentist. wish me luck.

GL! I want to go to the dentist but I'm afraid so I'm just flossing and brushing 3 to 4 times a day. I bought 3 bottles of listerine when this started and I'm down to my last one

Teeth issues scare me :(

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Happy 100k day :toot:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

what if covid was revenge from corvids over our bungling of bird flu, which hit them (especially blue jays) hard.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

#stopsocialdistancing lmao

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

FizFashizzle posted:

I made this chinese style fried chicken 2 ways last night

Honestly the sauce for the legs wasn't that great. Too sweet.

That makes me want three cup chicken more than I did yesterday but I don't have the ingredients and I'm on a shopping strike so I'll look at your food longingly

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

euphronius posted:

Happy 100k day :toot:

The worldometers total is starting to be updated again after closing down overnight, it's already leapt up another 41 and only has 154 more to go before it hits 100k

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

There are dumb scientific meanings behind the term "airborne" when applied to disease transmission. Virions have to be able to cling to dry condensation nuclei on the air and float along with them to be truly airborne. Tiny respiratory droplets that linger on the air don't meet this criteria. They're too wet. That's it. That's the difference.

Also truly airborne viruses can have absurd spread rates, like chickenpox or measles.

There's been 3 major contact tracing studies im aware of about this, and when they came out people were insistent that the virus wasn't airborne or aerosolable because the WHO said so.

The studies were the very early bus one that got mysteriously retracted, the restaurant where the study said they didn't think it was aerosoled but had no explanation for how one table got it, and the call center one.

As always you have to ignore headlines and conclusions and read studies and look at the graphs and go oh poo poo, but 99% of people didn't want to do that.

Similarly the mask studies are all over the place - that hamster one is cool, and I found that one from 2012 that measured cotton t-shirt, tea towel, etc.

But instead we just get people screaming masks don't work and they can't breath in them because , in reality , putting on the mask acknowledged there's a deadly virus and anyone you see can carry it, and if you leave your house you cannot, absolutely cannot control someone coming point blank and coughing on you. People don't want to admit this and mask wearing gives them anxiety, so they just make up a reason not to (oh I can just always stay 6 feet away, as if that's some magic number, or sunlight kills it too fast, or whatever) to keep the anxiety away.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NadeenAbusada/status/1265257568278138883?s=20

https://twitter.com/david_s_marks/status/1265271151044984838?s=20

we have won

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Dumb Lowtax posted:

that's FAKE NEWS, the libs made that graph as a false flag, they want to put MICRO CHIPS

Graphs have numbers and everyone knows numbers are for lib nerd weakling people who don't like guns and America

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

Reminds me of this article on potential airborne transmission 2004 SARs outbreak and this picture:

The full implications of airborne germs on how we should organize living and working spaces are scary to consider. These half-measures underscore how we basically have to ignore them.

SARS was way more transmissible than covid. people were getting it through apartment HVAC and other wild acrobatics

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

there are half a dozen hungry baby woodpeckers and a box turtle in my backyard this morning :3:

and a bigass snapping turtle on the other side of the neighborhood, that was less cute but still p cool

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Crazypoops posted:

You can't convince me America isn't 95% demons in human costumes

Eh I think that does a disservice to demons; They’re more like empathetically devoid goblins.

Jesus Christ

i am harry has issued a correction as of 14:33 on May 26, 2020

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

i am harry posted:

Eh I think that does a disservice to demons; They’re more like empathetically devoid goblins.

Jesus Christ

lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a dolls eyes....

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

right wing politicians and such calling people "heroes" for getting their haircut has taken on a darker meaning since that "if they call you a hero they expect you to die" tweet.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

mastershakeman posted:

There's been 3 major contact tracing studies im aware of about this, and when they came out people were insistent that the virus wasn't airborne or aerosolable because the WHO said so.

The studies were the very early bus one that got mysteriously retracted, the restaurant where the study said they didn't think it was aerosoled but had no explanation for how one table got it, and the call center one.

As always you have to ignore headlines and conclusions and read studies and look at the graphs and go oh poo poo, but 99% of people didn't want to do that.

Similarly the mask studies are all over the place - that hamster one is cool, and I found that one from 2012 that measured cotton t-shirt, tea towel, etc.

But instead we just get people screaming masks don't work and they can't breath in them because , in reality , putting on the mask acknowledged there's a deadly virus and anyone you see can carry it, and if you leave your house you cannot, absolutely cannot control someone coming point blank and coughing on you. People don't want to admit this and mask wearing gives them anxiety, so they just make up a reason not to (oh I can just always stay 6 feet away, as if that's some magic number, or sunlight kills it too fast, or whatever) to keep the anxiety away.

It can’t be stated how much RWM and Trump just completely accelerated the US to ground loving zero of having the wherewithal to deal with crises. sure sure lol that politicians always scammed us and Rs want us dead for sake of number, but the last 4 years of ever rotating narratives built upon enforcing hostility and discomfort are the root of this.

Even if someone with authority in the government wanted to push out a consistent narrative (lockdown to get it under control, masks until we know more by end of May, then targeted recovery plans and facts about transmission), the American public’s conscious cant handle that anymore and the media found out that doesn’t get them viewers. it feels like people can no longer, and do not want to, tolerate anything other than “you do what makes your brain feel good and anything that makes you anxious or uncomfortable or sad or angry is the fault of the other person” in their lives. I’m sure Trump and the Republicans just thought it was a strategy to get them in power in ‘16 but the damage on the American psyche is absolutely dreadful.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

im a professional political strategist and my entire strategy hinges on my mouthbreathing base not getting themselves loving obliterated in a plague somehow in the next 5 months after we convinced them it wasn't real, im really good at my job

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spoondick posted:

im a professional political strategist and my entire strategy hinges on my mouthbreathing base not getting themselves loving obliterated in a plague somehow in the next 5 months after we convinced them it wasn't real, im really good at my job

it’s killing democrats

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I found another article, the QLD state premier is making a political point of claiming that QLD doesn't have "active community transmission" unlike NSW or Victoria and she's been pushing that fact to justify her lockdown policies

https://www.couriermail.com.au/coro...bcda7fa2b134fed

Ah gently caress I just remembered something else about the QLD premier's stance on community transmission: apparently no one told her about asymptomatic carriers until a week ago, at which point she got VERY confused:
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...sed/ar-BB14g0Z8

The real kicker is that I support her policy to keep the state locked down, I just wish it was because she understood how the virus spread and not for what sounds like political reasons.

facetoucher cat posted:

Graphs have numbers and everyone knows numbers are for lib nerd weakling people who don't like guns and America

If you don't like the numbers on your graph you just rearrange them so the curve looks friendlier. Everyone knows that, it's basic sciencing. :colbert:

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Dean of Swing posted:

So when is the infection bump going to hit?

About 1 week for incubation, another week to develop symptoms, get tested and then get results. This would also be the incubation for all the contacts, plus 1 more week for symptoms etc. Although peaks start getting huge when the third generation appears.

So probably about 4-5 weeks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pennsylvania officially at 15.1% unemployment per state numbers

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

euphronius posted:

it’s killing democrats

the silent majority (of suppressed coronavirus deaths)

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Spoondick posted:

Spite outlasts death, FYI.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Hahahahaha hoo boy

a young guy in my section at work who’s usually in another room got moved into my shoebox lab room and he literally went to South Padre island this last weekend and plans to go to Yellowstone in a few weeks. I took Friday off so I didn’t know about this. I’m working evenings only going forward. poo poo is hosed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Crazyweasel posted:

It can’t be stated how much RWM and Trump just completely accelerated the US to ground loving zero of having the wherewithal to deal with crises. sure sure lol that politicians always scammed us and Rs want us dead for sake of number, but the last 4 years of ever rotating narratives built upon enforcing hostility and discomfort are the root of this.

The Trump administration's dismantling of the pandemic response team and all the safeguards that had been in place is incredibly infuriating, as well as their constant dismissal of their own people's recommendations.

I did a big effort post in the GBS thread about one WH report from September 2019 which was specifically about "Hey, if a pandemic happens we're gonna be assfucked"

I noticed the other day the chairman of the White House Council for Economic Advice (the idiots who released that stupid fuckin' "Cubic Fit" virus model) tweeted this in support of Operation Warp Speed:

https://twitter.com/TomPhilipson45/status/1261405042256613382

Here's the direct link to that 2019 report, it's pretty interesting reading given what's been happening these last few months: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Mitigating-the-Impact-of-Pandemic-Influenza-through-Vaccine-Innovation.pdf

quote:

The Council of Economic Advisors (CEA) finds that in a pandemic year, depending on the transmission efficiency and virulence of the particular pandemic virus, the economic damage would range from $413 billion to $3.79 trillion. Fatalities in the most serious scenario would exceed half a million people in the United States. Millions more would be sick, with between approximately 670,000 to 4.3 million requiring hospitalization. In a severe pandemic, healthy people might avoid work and normal social interactions in an attempt to avert illness by limiting contact with sick persons. By incapacitating a large fraction of the population, including individuals who work in critical infrastructure and defense sectors, pandemic influenza could threaten U.S. national security.

Large-scale, immediate immunization is the most effective way to control the spread of influenza, but the predominant, currently licensed, vaccine manufacturing technology would not provide sufficient doses rapidly enough to mitigate a pandemic.

quote:

The CEA finds that technologies that could deliver sufficient doses of vaccine at the outset of an influenza pandemic could produce about a $730 billion benefit for Americans over the course of an average pandemic, primarily due to the prevention of loss of life and health. Combining this increase in production speed with a 30 percent increase over the vaccine effectiveness seen in the last pandemic (2009–10) would generate a larger benefit of about $953 billion — about one half the cost of an average pandemic. The benefits dissipate quickly, however, with each week of delay in the vaccine’s availability, as the number of unexposed people to protect diminishes. The cost of a 1-week delay at the baseline vaccine effectiveness from the last pandemic is $41 billion per week, on average, for the first 12 weeks; falls to $20 billion per week for the next 12 weeks; and disappears entirely if the vaccine’s availability is delayed by more than 39 weeks, because the outbreak would be over before the vaccine prevented new infections. Adding a 30 percent improvement to the vaccine effectiveness seen in the last pandemic makes the per-week cost of delay $53 billion over the first 12 weeks, on average, falling to $26 billion over the next 12 weeks. The expected value of having a vaccine available at the outset of a pandemic — that is, the savings discounted by the 4 percent annual probability of having a pandemic — is $29 billion, or $89.63 per American. Adding a 30 percent increase to the baseline pandemic vaccine’s effectiveness to the faster production increases the expected value to $38 billion, or $117.07 per American.

quote:

We discuss why the private market has not embraced these newer vaccine production technologies and the lack of private incentives to develop and utilize improved vaccine production technologies that could better mitigate pandemic risk. First, there is a key misalignment between the social and private returns from medical research and development (R&D) and capital investment in pandemic vaccines. R&D and investment costs are only recouped by sales when the pandemic risk occurs. Part of the value of vaccines that can mitigate future pandemic risks, however, is their insurance value today that provides protection against possible damage. This insurance value accrues even if the pandemic does not occur in the future, and it implies that the social value of faster production and better vaccines is much larger than its private return to developers. This divergence leads to an underprovision in vaccine innovation because it does not get rewarded for its insurance value. Second, pandemics represent a risk with a small probability of occurring but with large and highly correlated losses across the population.The rarity of influenza pandemics and the fact that the last serious one in this country occurred a hundred years ago may lead consumers and insurers to underestimate the probability and potential impact of a future influenza pandemic. Moreover, the risk cannot be effectively pooled because everyone is at risk concurrently.

Although vaccine innovation is not currently rewarded for its insurance value, public-private partnerships created under a 2006 statute have been key in the development of the newer vaccine production technologies that offer the prospect of improved seasonal influenza vaccines and the accelerated timelines needed for improved pandemic preparedness. Push incentives like public-private partnerships combined with pull incentives — such as the government’s preferential purchase of vaccines produced domestically with newer, faster technologies — that may create more efficacious seasonal vaccines, especially for older people, can promote additional cost-effective innovation and lessen the impact of future pandemics.

tl;dr: the White House produced a report 3 months before the pandemic started which said "Hey we're super unprepared for a pandemic and if a big one happens we'll lose trillions and trillions of dollars from the economy and the social impact will threaten national security, but the private market won't independently fund the necessary vaccine R&D we need to safeguard ourselves against this because the cost/benefits calculations don't work in their favour so we should do something about that"

Keep that in mind every time Trump says something about "This is unprecedented", "No one warned us about this", etc etc..

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ebola Roulette posted:

About 1 week for incubation, another week to develop symptoms, get tested and then get results. This would also be the incubation for all the contacts, plus 1 more week for symptoms etc. Although peaks start getting huge when the third generation appears.

So probably about 4-5 weeks.

5-6 weeks is... July 4 :911:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Trump administration's dismantling of the pandemic response team and all the safeguards that had been in place is incredibly infuriating, as well as their constant dismissal of their own people's recommendations.

I did a big effort post in the GBS thread about one WH report from September 2019 which was specifically about "Hey, if a pandemic happens we're gonna be assfucked"

tl;dr: the White House produced a report 3 months before the pandemic started which said "Hey we're super unprepared for a pandemic and if a big one happens we'll lose trillions and trillions of dollars from the economy and the social impact will threaten national security, but the private market won't independently fund the necessary vaccine R&D we need to safeguard ourselves against this because the cost/benefits calculations don't work in their favour so we should do something about that"

Keep that in mind every time Trump says something about "This is unprecedented", "No one warned us about this", etc etc..

Their response has been basically non-stop rear end-covering. Everything is to give justification for not blaming them. "This is unprecedented" -- they couldn't possibly have planned for this even if they took precautions, etc. Even the blatant lies about this going away in the heat, etc, is just to set up the expectation that if it *doesn't* go away then it's unique and above and beyond the typical virus and that the administration couldn't possibly have any responsibility for it. It's all an electoral play.

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish

CODChimera posted:

blend up some milk, oats, a banana, peanut butter and protein powder

sometimes switch out the peanut butter for frozen berries and get a vitamin.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
dammit vegas stop blue balling me!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJviZ4-WgsY

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1265279047002730496

money bell goes brrrrrrrrring

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.npr.org/2020/05/25/861923548/stockholm-wont-reach-herd-immunity-in-may-sweden-s-chief-epidemiologist-says

Stockholm Won't Reach Herd Immunity In May, Sweden's Chief Epidemiologist Says posted:

Ambassador Olofsdotter told NPR last month that the country's capital could reach herd immunity by the end of this month. Herd immunity occurs when enough people of a population are immune to an infectious disease, either because they've been infected and recovered or they've been vaccinated against it. Some researchers have put the threshold for coronavirus herd immunity at 60%

Sweden's Public Health Agency last week released the initial findings of an ongoing antibodies study that showed that only 7.3% of people in Stockholm had developed antibodies against COVID-19 by late April. Tegnell later described the study's figure as a "bit lower than we'd thought," adding that the study represented a snapshot of the situation some weeks ago and he believed that by now "a little more than 20%" of Stockholm's population should have contracted the virus.

It's the same figure that he mentioned in the CNBC interview over a month ago.

A majority of Swedes, 63%, according to one recent poll, support the measures Tegnell's agency has recommended.

openerup

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SKULL.GIF posted:

Their response has been basically non-stop rear end-covering. Everything is to give justification for not blaming them. "This is unprecedented" -- they couldn't possibly have planned for this even if they took precautions, etc. Even the blatant lies about this going away in the heat, etc, is just to set up the expectation that if it *doesn't* go away then it's unique and above and beyond the typical virus and that the administration couldn't possibly have any responsibility for it. It's all an electoral play.

IT's also why Trumo keeps calling it the CHina Virus

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

literally all trump knows or cares about is make number go up because he thinks that means the gop ghoul class and the gop ghoul base will make sure he gets re-elected if number is big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Crusader posted:

literally all trump knows or cares about is make number go up because he thinks that means the gop ghoul class and the gop ghoul base will make sure he gets re-elected if number is big

The NUmber is about to hit 100,000