Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

Ah my second-favourite statistical :psyduck:, beaten only by "they can't know what percentage of benefits claims are fraudulent, because they're fraudulent, therefore unknowable, you imbecile. you loving moron.

So it's probably like 50%"
You can't estimate the monthly rate of German tank production from the serial numbers of a handful of captured tanks because you can only see the ones you've captured! :pseudo:

See also from the past few weeks:
"You can't know how many Covid deaths there's been because they're not testing them and throwing a bunch of unrelated deaths in there."
"True, but there has been at least 50,000 excess deaths over the past few months, compared to an average of the last few years."
"But you don't know that they're all Covid deaths."
"If something else is killing 50,000 people that's quite alarming, and something we should also take seriously."
"They could be faking the death stats."
"They could, but it's a lot easier to lose death certificates than it is to fabricate them, so if they are it would probably be higher, something's killed a lot of people."
Which then leads to either letting it stand or down the rabbit hole that the ONS along with every single European country has been covering up deaths for 5 years just so that they could make the trendline higher this year.

This is something that I'm sure links in with conspiracism, delegitimation, neoliberalism, anti-rationalism, and neoreaction chat; statistics can only provide confidence, conspiracies provide certainty, and reaction fetishizes the concrete, so even though some of these people are leftist or 'apolitical' it's no surprise to see Britain First and the Katie Hopkins Ket Krew spearheading it.

52% of Leave voters want him gone, so it has to be done, will of the people.

144 Tory MPs is called a gross misconduct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

It’s well known that the government wanted the frightened great British public to return to their everyday toil and save the economy.

So they activated the most powerful tool in a politicians arsenal against the lockdown - sheer spite.

/s

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

we're not on reddit, we understand sarcasm.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh is that what /s means?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

thespaceinvader posted:

TBF I don't think he should resign I think he should be sacked.

Yes, sacked like Constantinople.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

This is something that I'm sure links in with conspiracism, delegitimation, neoliberalism, anti-rationalism, and neoreaction chat; statistics can only provide confidence, conspiracies provide certainty, and reaction fetishizes the concrete, so even though some of these people are leftist or 'apolitical' it's no surprise to see Britain First and the Katie Hopkins Ket Krew spearheading it.

This is why they love the Brexit referendum - finally, someone's doing an opinion poll properly and asking everyone* in the country! Therefore, the result is concrete and inviolable.

Random aside, the episode of ER I was watching the other day featured an AIDS denier, which is something I'd totally forgotten even existed. So that's another example of "too small to see, therefore not concrete enough"

E: although actually she admitted HIV existed but didn't cause AIDS, so I think it's more a case of the scientific link between the two being complex, and could be made up for all the average person can verify.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Nobody reads my posts but I was head-shaming earlier and that was a bad thing. I am not going to edit the post because I'll take the hit to my karma.

Dominic Cummings can take being complicit in the deaths of tens of thousands of people (so far) as a hit to his.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I read your posts and they are good posts.

K9
May 6, 2007

I feel a bit bad about the head-shaming too.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

K9 posted:

I feel a bit bad about the head-shaming too.

Wait, what do you mean by "head shaming"?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dude had a bad head.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jose posted:

Corbyn should have taken this approach to the media joe Scarborough had a congressional intern die in mysterious circumstances in his office

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1264346866780700675?s=19

quote:

“Please delete those tweets,” the widower begged in a letter last week to Twitter’s chief executive, Jack Dorsey. “My wife deserves better.”
from here https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/26/opinion/trump-scarborough-twitter.html or link straight to the letter https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/6968-jack-dorsey-letter/ffaa205b1364518c15b3/optimized/full.pdf#page=1

you really want to be approvingly quoting Trump of all people? spreading bullshit like that?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Mocking people for their looks rather than the fact that they're awful human beings.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Mebh posted:

Mocking people for their looks rather than the fact that they're awful human beings.

but his head is hosed up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But there are lots of people with hosed up heads who aren't assholes.

And "your head is only hosed up because you're an rear end in a top hat" is either postmodernism or an overly literal reading of noted racist roald dahl.

K9
May 6, 2007

Ash Crimson posted:

but his head is hosed up

on the inside for sure

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also on a personal level I am not impressed by all these people lauding the size of cummings' head because mine is almost certainly bigger. Tired of him getting all the acclaim as the giant head guy.

Does he ever wear a hat? If so I've got him beat.

K9
May 6, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Also on a personal level I am not impressed by all these people lauding the size of cummings' head because mine is almost certainly bigger.

post yr caliper stats

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

thespaceinvader posted:

TBF I don't think he should resign I think he should be sacked.

If by "sacked" you mean bundled in a sack and thrown in the river, yes i agree

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bobstar posted:

Random aside, the episode of ER I was watching the other day featured an AIDS denier, which is something I'd totally forgotten even existed.

The reason you don't see them anymore is because they all died. From AIDS.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If by "sacked" you mean bundled in a sack and thrown in the river, yes i agree

unfortunately I'm not sure the RSPCA would let you put a monkey, a dog and a snake in there with him to go properly Roman

it's PC gone mad

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

OwlFancier posted:

Also on a personal level I am not impressed by all these people lauding the size of cummings' head because mine is almost certainly bigger. Tired of him getting all the acclaim as the giant head guy.
Well hello there Dr. Gorka!

Speaking of, I guess this is an acceptable way to synthesize 'he's a bad person' and 'his head's funny' as a way of making fun of someone:
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1262847416778326016

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Necrothatcher posted:

The reason you don't see them anymore is because they all died. From AIDS.
Obligatory:

Continuum was a magazine published by an activist group of the same name who denied the existence of HIV/AIDS. Favoring pseudoscientific content, the magazine addressed issues related to HIV/AIDS, AIDS denialism, alternative medicine, and themes of interest to the LGBT community. It ran from December 1992 until February 2001 and ceased publication because the editors had died of AIDS-defining clinical conditions.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ash Crimson posted:

but his head is hosed up

The point is that a lot of people have hosed up heads but not hosed up ideas like DomCum.

I have a hosed up head and I have a lot of hosed up ideas but none of them are as hosed up as whatever nightmares motivate that twerp to be the bizarre monster he is.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1264936171517489160
He so desperately and transparently wants to be thought of as a cool rebel outsider.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Looks like he's about to cry in the bottom left. He knows a storm is coming.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Me: Can we watch the new Tarantino movie?
Mom: We've got Tarantino at home.
The Tarantino at home:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I have no comment on whether headshaming is good or bad, but frankie boyle's description of him as a 'startled testicle' has forever stuck in my mind. As has his reference, in the same sentence, to Boris as a 'confused sex yeti'.

https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/1176553550698225664

Both are top 3 descriptions, but the number one spot still goes to Charlie Brooker for this gem of a description of our favorite heel-turn Piers Morgan:

https://twitter.com/charltonbrooker/status/1974283482

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

I read your posts and they are good posts.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

StarkingBarfish posted:

Both are top 3 descriptions, but the number one spot still goes to Charlie Brooker for this gem of a description of our favorite heel-turn Piers Morgan
I've always been quite partial to Stewart Lee's description of Adrian Chiles as
"a speaking Toby jug filled to the brim with hot piss."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its not about the size of his head its the fact he for sure believes in phrenology despite having a weird head himself

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

GazChap posted:

I've always been quite partial to Stewart Lee's description of Adrian Chiles as
"a speaking Toby jug filled to the brim with hot piss."

That's brutal. See also the recent moniker for Tom Harwood: BNOC Powell

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
So is the thread title going to be updated to Dominic Stayings?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He probably didn't realise he had a weird head until he went bald.

I always thought my head was a weird shape until I shaved it.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Can someone explain to me, an idiot, the reason why the """official""" daily COVID-19 deaths follow a fairly reliable pattern of 5 days high, 2 days low?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fewer deaths recorded on a weekend afaik. They catch up on those over the next week.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm considering head enhancement surgery to turn mine into a flawless sphere, the most perfect, beautiful and normal of head shapes.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wachter posted:

Can someone explain to me, an idiot, the reason why the """official""" daily COVID-19 deaths follow a fairly reliable pattern of 5 days high, 2 days low?

Dying on a weekend doesn't get the proles out of doing a hard day's graft, so the cheeky bastards always wait until the following Monday.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
hooray I'm back to working on site full time from tomorrow :suicide:

genuinely loving hate my job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Hard Left and Comrade Covid joined a union and don't work weekends.