Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I would actually say Fleischer's Lois Lane is such a great domineering hardass that if Superman didn't save her, physically, time to time they might as well have titled each short "Superpegged"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

oldpainless posted:

Agreed, it’s a fantastic movie

More like oldclueless.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

This very idea was actually done well in the original Sabrina the Teenage Witch TV show - due to years of being lied to Harvey breaks it off with Sabrina and isn't seen for a long time, however there is a small moment where they bump into each other in a hotel and that's a cute little relatable coincidence, and Harvey only reenters Sabrina's life years after when he happens to be dating her roommate.

I've heard that Harvey actually becomes a really fun character later when he's entirely aware that magic exists and is basically the token normal guy commenting on the weirdness, and is constantly trading barbs with Salem.

hard counter posted:

i see what you're getting at here as a general phenomena in media but i can guess how lois lane, in particular, would be really hard to do since she's paired with superman

comic books nerds will also roll their eyes at the superman/batman team-up whenever batman tries to contribute since whatever clever thing he's doing to the bad guys with his gadgets could've just been done by superman with his bare hands in a nanosecond; batman can contribute his smarts but the writer needs to be good enough to make batman seem intelligent w/o making superman seem like a dunce and that's a trapeze act and a half for most of the industry - with lois lane these problems are magnified a bit

A lot of it is people entirely miss the point of Superman and try to write him like Batman where the whole point is that he's a person with feelings and doubts and opinions, and his relationships with people like Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen and Batman are what define him. A lot of people find that scary and upsetting because they literally just want Strong Daddy to save them.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Agreed, it’s a fantastic movie

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

"Pardon me, coming through. Don't mind me I'll just be on my way"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Pick posted:

I would actually say Fleischer's Lois Lane is such a great domineering hardass that if Superman didn't save her, physically, time to time they might as well have titled each short "Superpegged"

Fleischer's Lois Lane doesn't give a single gently caress if you're a mob boss, a mad scientist, a dinosaur, whatever, if there's a scoop out there she's going to loving get it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of it is people entirely miss the point of Superman and try to write him like Batman where the whole point is that he's a person with feelings and doubts and opinions, and his relationships with people like Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen and Batman are what define him. A lot of people find that scary and upsetting because they literally just want Strong Daddy to save them.

Superman is really hard to write well if you come at him from a direction of 'writing Superman', which I think is a big part of people being convinced he's boring. With every other major superhero there's something neat on the face that you can lean on even if you know nothing else; sure, you leave a bunch on the table by writing a Batman story that's JUST Batman, but you can get something going there. Spider-Man, The Flash, Iron Man, you can make an alright story out of just taking their conceit, powers and aesthetic head-on.

Superman is different, because 'Superman' is basically the least interesting part of him; you have to dig deeper, work in his personality and connections. Most good 'Superman' stories are more correctly Clark Kent stories in that way. Hell, even the two stories that immediately jump to my mind as really good 'Superman Stories' use that really strongly; Kingdom Come and Injustice (both the comics and the games) both launch off of shaking the foundations of his relationships, and see what that does to him as Superman.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Both of those stories are kicked off by Lois getting fridged, not saying they're bad comics but "shaking the foundation of his relationships, and see what that does to him as Superman" is really giving them a lot of narrative credit for basically the laziest cliche in the superhero playbook

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The recent "Superman versus the KKK" was really good for more being about Clark and trying to be a good human being while also accepting his heritage, as I recall.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

purple death ray posted:

Fleischer's Lois Lane doesn't give a single gently caress if you're a mob boss, a mad scientist, a dinosaur, whatever, if there's a scoop out there she's going to loving get it

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

hard counter posted:

i see what you're getting at here as a general phenomena in media but i can guess how lois lane, in particular, would be really hard to do since she's paired with superman

comic books nerds will also roll their eyes at the superman/batman team-up whenever batman tries to contribute since whatever clever thing he's doing to the bad guys with his gadgets could've just been done by superman with his bare hands in a nanosecond; batman can contribute his smarts but the writer needs to be good enough to make batman seem intelligent w/o making superman seem like a dunce and that's a trapeze act and a half for most of the industry - with lois lane these problems are magnified a bit

That's why I didn't get on with the DCAU Justice League cartoon. It felt like Batman was so smart that the others were pretty much just muscle for smashing robots. There was one episode where a bunch of the League's enemies form a Legion of Doom, and Batman gets injured in the initial encounter. While the rest of the League are discussing what to do next, Batman goes off alone and gets captured. He spends the rest of the show tied to a pillar, being guarded by different members of the Legion, who he talks into sabotaging their own plan. At the end, Joker realises everything is ruined and how it happened, goes to kill Batman, who immediately drops the rope that was supposed to be holding him and says something like "I was only here because I wanted to be" before punching Joker unconscious. Yeah, it's an awesome moment for Batman, but it makes you why he bothers with the League.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batman bothers with the league because they're his friends, and even though he'd never admit it, he likes them a lot.

I thought that was pretty obvious from the source material tbh

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
But he gives cash as a gift!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

purple death ray posted:

Batman bothers with the league because they're his friends, and even though he'd never admit it, he likes them a lot.

I thought that was pretty obvious from the source material tbh

That and he needs to be close to them to secretly figure out how to kill each of them, something that could never backfire.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The DCU cartoons are great at not being to overindulgent in Batman love. Hell the whole arc of Justice league unlimited focuses on Superman and the question

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 18:08 on May 26, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AceOfFlames posted:

That and he needs to be close to them to secretly figure out how to kill each of them, something that could never backfire.

The Batman cartoon does a variation on this plot, and then the depowered heroes use the contingencies against them against the robots that stole their powers.

Also reminded of why Metallo works surprisingly as a villain; his whole thing is being basically a Kryptonite-powered cyborg, and obviously a considerable threat to Superman, but he's also a threat to everyone else being a super-strong cyborg and all. It's just as well he's got the mind of a dumb thug. It's a simple concept, but one that's easy to work with.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Pick posted:

I would actually say Fleischer's Lois Lane is such a great domineering hardass that if Superman didn't spank her, physically, from time to time they might as well have titled each short "Superpegged"

now we're thinking like old time hollywood

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

lord funk posted:

I just watched Avatar: The Last Airbender for the first time, and it's incredible. I was blown away at how the benders actually use their bending all the time, for tons of different reasons.

Anyway, it just reminded me how loving awful Captain Planet was in this regard. You have rings of elemental power! You can shoot fire out of your first! Move oceans! Why are you all so inept?! Why is the Earth kid using a hose to wash off Captain Planet instead of the Water girl???

My hot take is that the Planeteers were eco terrorists and Heart was the strongest ring. It literally has the power to change the actions people take. They could have just made them stop being supervillains.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Len posted:

My hot take is that the Planeteers were eco terrorists and Heart was the strongest ring. It literally has the power to change the actions people take. They could have just made them stop being supervillains.

The Planeteers didn't go nearly far enough

though Hogglish Greedly did eventually decide to go into environmentally friendly business instead, presumably because he was sick of Captain Planet's poo poo.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I like how one villain was just a businessman. No superpowers, no grand designs, just a plain and simple capitalist.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I still can't get over the fact that Captain Planet's only two weaknesses are high levels of pollution and being in the vicinity of Adolph Hitler.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I still can't get over the fact that Captain Planet's only two weaknesses are high levels of pollution and being in the vicinity of Adolph Hitler.

That's because Hitler was so toxic that he basically gave off an Aura of Pollution.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Captain Planet was weak to crude oil despite that being naturally occurring.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Planet was also weakened by crude oil yet healed by magma despite both being equally natural materials.

E:f,b

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Captain Planet was weak to crude oil despite that being naturally occurring.

How do you know it's not actually toxic waste from aliens?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Also if Hitler showed that Captain Planet is weakened by hatred, one wonders how the gently caress he survived the Reagan Administration.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

AceOfFlames posted:

Also if Hitler showed that Captain Planet is weakened by hatred, one wonders how the gently caress he survived the Reagan Administration.

Must have gone into hiding.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It's a shame Standards and Practices cut the episode where they combined all his weaknesses: "Captain Planet Vs. A Greased Up Hitler".

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

sweet geek swag posted:

Must have gone into hiding.

Like that one bit in the Minions movie where they showed that the Minions were conveniently sealed in a cave when Hitler showed up.

(Of course the real reason is that Captain Planet premiered in 1990 and I, like most people I bet, forgot it wasn't an 80s show)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AceOfFlames posted:

Like that one bit in the Minions movie where they showed that the Minions were conveniently sealed in a cave when Hitler showed up.

(Of course the real reason is that Captain Planet premiered in 1990 and I, like most people I bet, forgot it wasn't an 80s show)

1990 was squarely in that weird pocket decade between the releases of Appetite for Destruction, and The Chronic. It was neither the 80's or the 90's.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

1990 was squarely in that weird pocket decade between the releases of Appetite for Destruction, and The Chronic. It was neither the 80's or the 90's.

1990 to like 1994 was so much different than 1995 to 2000 and its amazing to see reflected in pop culture.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I’ve seen this movie a few times and slow moving rock is always a milk-out-the-nose shock laugh

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Annabel Pee posted:

That reminds me of Locke's flashback episodes on Lost always having him get into near accidents.

That's what comes to mind for me too, specifically one episode where he randomly gets hit by a car in a parking lot, lies on the ground stunned for a second, then gets back up and continues what he was doing and the whole incident is never mentioned/acknowledged again.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
They could've had Wheeler? use his ring to set Meg Ryan on fire and then cut to Swat Cats for the rest of the half hour but then we wouldn't learn about recycling.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Honestly at that point watching anything on fox kids or upn was a dice roll of getting a Very Special Episode about the ozone layer or oil spills or something

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
What was that cartoon about youth on mars and they find out everyone's getting hosed up because the original martians decided to pour toxic waste all over everything as a society-wide suicide.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Volcott posted:

What was that cartoon about youth on mars and they find out everyone's getting hosed up because the original martians decided to pour toxic waste all over everything as a society-wide suicide.

Huckleberry Hound.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I just found a youtube channel that endlessly streams episodes of GJ Joe, and aside from noticing how vile its jingoism is and how lazily it’s written, I notice they say “kill” and “die” in almost every episode.

My childhood memories are that every cartoon went way out of its way to avoid using “kill” and instead said ludicrous poo poo like “destroy.” Was that not actually the case in reality?

One of my fondest memories of watching G.I. Joe as a kid is an epiosode where a few Joes are accidentally transported to a parallel universe where Cobnra has conquered the U.S., and one of the Joes (Stalker?) who is slowly going mad from bioengineered bug venom stumbles across the corpse of his counterpart in a foxhole, and screams:

"Not-Alive! We must be Not-Alive! And now we've gone to the devil!"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I just found a youtube channel that endlessly streams episodes of GJ Joe, and aside from noticing how vile its jingoism is and how lazily it’s written, I notice they say “kill” and “die” in almost every episode.

My childhood memories are that every cartoon went way out of its way to avoid using “kill” and instead said ludicrous poo poo like “destroy.” Was that not actually the case in reality?

Forgot to comment on this earlier, it kinda boggles my mind about that, because I really don't remember the old GI Joe cartoons enough to remember them saying Kill, but, it reminded me of Gundam Wing when it ran on Toonami way the hell back, with everyone saying "I'm going to destroy you!" And "The Great Destroyer is back again!"
Then you tune in for the latenight uncensored version and it's "The God of Death is back from Hell!" And "I'm going to kill you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cleretic posted:

Superman is really hard to write well if you come at him from a direction of 'writing Superman', which I think is a big part of people being convinced he's boring. With every other major superhero there's something neat on the face that you can lean on even if you know nothing else; sure, you leave a bunch on the table by writing a Batman story that's JUST Batman, but you can get something going there. Spider-Man, The Flash, Iron Man, you can make an alright story out of just taking their conceit, powers and aesthetic head-on.

Superman is different, because 'Superman' is basically the least interesting part of him; you have to dig deeper, work in his personality and connections. Most good 'Superman' stories are more correctly Clark Kent stories in that way. Hell, even the two stories that immediately jump to my mind as really good 'Superman Stories' use that really strongly; Kingdom Come and Injustice (both the comics and the games) both launch off of shaking the foundations of his relationships, and see what that does to him as Superman.

Most people go with All-Star Superman, the plot of which is that Superman's cells become overloaded with solar radiation and he is left with one year to live. It's considered interesting because not only does it deal with Superman-as-person, it also actually increases his power level - in theory exacerbating the main difficulty in writing about him.