Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I listened to his dan aykroyd episode because I love dan aykroyd and joe rogan was insufferable when he was talking about DMT. Most people who've done drugs should probably realize their life revelations are reaaaaaaally boring. for example - "woooaah we're all just like ants if you think about it!"

machine elves are cool and weird though

e: awful snipe im sorry. here's some covid-19 which might look a little bit like something you'd see on DMT

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I work for my state's department of public health and we're all going back to the office on Monday. No one wears masks or thinks this is real. We handle regulatory issues with nursing homes. I'm scared as poo poo.

How can this be possible? Is it because covid deaths doesn't count in nursing homes?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Puppy Galaxy posted:

are things just ... getting better?

Depends where you are, some nation successfully ward it off, others are just putting a smoke screen to sacrifice people to the economy.

edit: Like it was going on a downward trend but wasn't ready to go full open.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 26, 2020

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Ok is there any chance the news will acknowledge the death toll that has magically asymptotically stalled just shy of 100,000

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Hazo posted:

Ok is there any chance the news will acknowledge the death toll that has magically asymptotically stalled just shy of 100,000

The narrative is that everything is over now and life should go back to normal! Pay no attention to the manipulation of test result reporting and active suppression going on in many states.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bleusilences posted:

How can this be possible? Is it because covid deaths doesn't count in nursing homes?

Nursing homes exist to extract pensions. That's where the regulation exists

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Hazo posted:

It's stuck at 99.8k

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Plant MONSTER. posted:

As an aside, the ladies who made the Matrix must really, REALLY utterly despise the fact that people are using the term red-pilled the way they are.

Like we're talking wall-punching levels of pissed off.

Yeah they're not thrilled about it

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

suuma posted:

Literally never heard anyone say "China virus".

I wanna say way back in February people were calling it the Wuhan virus, but not China Virus. I remember some guy on my world of warcraft server had made a character named "Wuhanvirus" and was walking around town doing cough emotes on everyone. This was before the virus had really gotten out of China.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SHISHKABOB posted:

I wanna say way back in February people were calling it the Wuhan virus, but not China Virus. I remember some guy on my world of warcraft server had made a character named "Wuhanvirus" and was walking around town doing cough emotes on everyone. This was before the virus had really gotten out of China.

It was out of China at that time. Apparently here in Ohio, our first COVID death was back in mid-January, we just didn't realize it yet.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hazo posted:

I guarantee you it will be over 100,000 by Wednesday, the numbers dip every weekend and a holiday weekend is gonna have a lag in results being reported

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

suuma posted:

Here ya go:
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1263935118697062401

WARNING: may induce douche chills

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

It was out of China at that time. Apparently here in Ohio, our first COVID death was back in mid-January, we just didn't realize it yet.

Sure I meant in the news.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Bleusilences posted:

No one has really been doing anything to ensure anything is ok in our nursing homes.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

suuma posted:

As mentioned, Trump was test ballooning the phrase when he started doing his daily pressers but stopped because I guess his advisors thought it was too racist even for him

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The smug, self satisfied way that he and other unfuckable monster chuds will pop out “ChiCom” makes me want to tear my own ears off.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Props to my local Walmart for their anti Corona measures. They have the six feet apart signs on the floor and one way aisles, but they also put some folks at the door handing out masks for anyone who wants them. Not required for entry but they're free with an optional charity donation so I didn't see a single person inside without one. Good on them.

Not that it's indicative of generosity on the part of Walmart or overall handling of the virus, but in a microcosm it's nice to see that at least some people in the us still care.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

hemale in pain posted:

e: awful snipe im sorry. here's some covid-19 which might look a little bit like something you'd see on DMT

I've been willing to ask this for a long time. But, what is so bad about page snipes?

On topic:
A Belgian company thinks one of their anti-conception drugs might help against covid.
So I'm hoping Trump will be taking it soon and grow some serious knockers or whatever the side effects might be.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

rotinaj posted:

The smug, self satisfied way that he and other unfuckable monster chuds will pop out “ChiCom” makes me want to tear my own ears off.

I'm the middle aged man wearing a pinky ring not as a stylistic choice but because it won't fit on any of my other fat swollen diabetic fingers

Also, Chi-Com is a Limbaugh buzzword and a dogwhistle for white supremacists

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

mrfart posted:

I've been willing to ask this for a long time. But, what is so bad about page snipes?

On topic:
A Belgian company thinks one of their anti-conception drugs might help against covid.
So I'm hoping Trump will be taking it soon and grow some serious knockers or whatever the side effects might be.

it's like going up to a door and the welcome mat being a really bad post

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

my friend picks up some pretty lovely stuff from joe rogan over the years. he had a bit of time telling me about how hard done men are by women and how mens rights people have a point which i'm like 99% sure he picked up from joe rogan because i have no idea why he would start talking about it because he was like 20 years old and never had a divorce or whatever. also, he kept going on about how some nazi was just a comedian and wasn't actually a nazi because joe rogan had interviewed him and the nazi had promised he wasn't a nazi.

it was the guy who trained his dog to hitler salute while he screamed heil hitler and he then joined a far right group in the uk

e: i should say my friend isn't a nazi or a chud or whatever, he's just really impressionable and can be kinda dumb.

I wouldn't take my sister for like a weed smoking bro type, but somehow she's gotten pretty into Jordan Peterson and I think some alt-right stuff, if she gets talking about it she's pretty vitriolic about feminism and leftists and such. I don't really know how far it goes or where she got it from, especially as I don't really want to like push her completely away and she's often delightful to talk to about non-politics stuff.
Me and most others in my family basically just ignore her or shut her down if she gets going and I think she's got the point as I haven't heard anything of that stuff from her for a while.

Still disconcerting though.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mrfart posted:

Less children licking doorknobs, less rona going around, simple

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mrfart posted:

I copyrighted that fanfic

Cease and desist

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Charliegrs posted:

I really don't understand how he got so popular

I can't quite pinpoint how a standup comedian who was on TV (News radio, Fear Factor, Man Show, UFC color commentator, etc.) along with a long-running podcast, etc. might have brought at least a small fanbase along with them to their alt-right poo poo show.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
In the most transparent move ever, my dad (70, repub) has gone from ‘we need to reopen the economy’ to ‘I just care about people who need to go back to work’. Bullshit. He gives no fucks except about his investment portfolios.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

Where is he coming up with the .05% chance of catching Covid 19 - Fox news? Or did he just use his "Data Analyst" skills for divide # of (known) cases by the population of earth and thinks that's how contagions work?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I haven't seen any bad Joe Rogan stuff. He complains about Biden a lot

but I mean

It's biden

Plus he did more to put Bernie in a good light than anyone else. That interview was gold

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

big cummers ONLY posted:

No one has really been doing anything to ensure anything is ok in our nursing homes.

Here in Quebec it was an absolute clusterfuck but at least the government took it's responsibility.

edit: One of them had 50% of it's resident deceased because of the covid. Early there was a lot of nurses going from one nursing home to another and it spread it like no tomorrow.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 26, 2020

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

I haven't seen any bad Joe Rogan stuff.

You haven’t been looking, then

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

rotinaj posted:

You haven’t been looking, then

I will say that it's a good way to live, ignoring Joe Rogan

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

mrfart posted:

On topic:

It's just and old habit people have I guess. I always just click on the button that takes me to the first unread post.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Helios Grime posted:

I'm in Bern and you notice people are just really tired of being inside. I'm interested on covid-19 rates in a week since we just had a long bank holiday with really nice and warm weather and everyone was out and about which forced some of the main outside attractions to close down.

bollig posted:

Same and I personally thought that their decision to close down a lot of green space, at least during the day, was quite short sighted, even at the time. Although I could imagine that people were gathering there at night, but still in general it seemed like people were quite good about keeping apart when out and about, and closing them down just meant that it pushed people closer together. There have been several times, Easter for example, when I"ve kind of held my breath to see if there's an uptick or anything but it doesn't seem to be the case. This could be a big one though. A lot of people traveled.

Hi, I'm in Bern too! I live next to the Rosengarten and it was pretty packed in that first week of "lockdown". The wall overlooking the city and all of the benches were full day after day, you had to make an effort to find some grass to sit on that wasn't right next to somebody so I understand why they closed it. Plus a lot of parents I know just were not taking it seriously at all ("kids can't get it anyway and they can't just stay inside all day"), one guy accused me of lying about the quarantine in Spain and Italy not allowing kids to go to the playground.

In general, I think the feds did a good job of waiting juuuust long enough, so that people were starting to get nervous and starting to wonder when someone was going to do something. I feel like if they had imposed the measures a week earlier, the "it's just the flu" brigade would have been bolder with their protests. Because things were already so bad in Italy and Ticino, and since the measures were less restrictive than other places, I think people were willing to take collective action.

Alan Smithee posted:

What do the Swiss cook at bbqs

I want to go to a Swiss bbq

They share salads, chips, etc. but everyone brings their own meat, it's really weird. And you all huddle over the grill trying to cook your chicken skewer or horrible cervela on this uneven flame and people look surprised when you have extra chicken wings to share.

bollig posted:

I had to explain that you eat fresh salsa with chips once or twice. Whenever my wife makes 7-layer bean dip it's a borderline Copernican revolution. There is a restaurant in town that sells tacos and they want $25 FOR 3 TACOS. I'll stop ripping on the Swiss and their milquetoast palate now. WRT hairdressers, I had to cut my 2y/o's hair which, except for a couple strays, I think I did quite well.

Has 7 Machos reopened on the Bärenplatz yet? Two tacos for $13 but they are at least real tacos (El Mexicano isn't bad but yeah the prices).

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I realize I know nothing about Switzerland

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

I can understand bringing your own meat but have one person at the BBQ lol.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

Hazo posted:

no, because the toll hasn't "magically stalled". it's been steadily ticking up exactly as it usually does.

the worldometers toll will cross 100k in a few hours and will be at 103,000 by friday. death reporting slows down on weekends and holidays. it's a worldwide thing.

that count is an undercount anyway. we know from looking at excess death stats that america is well over 100k total deaths

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Zzulu posted:

A few years ago my wife and I stayed a couple nights at a bed and breakfast on the west coast of Ireland and one morning we had breakfast with a Swiss family and they were the snootiest, most arrogant people I've encountered in my entire life and from that I've made gross generalizations about Switzerland that no one will ever be able to convince me are incorrect.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Bleusilences posted:

Here in Quebec it was an absolute clusterfuck but at least the government took it's responsibility.

edit: One of them had 50% of it's resident deceased because of the covid. Early there was a lot of nurses going from one nursing home to another and it spread it like no tomorrow.

I don't know man, they're going "Oh yeah I guess the nursing homes need AC's in the summer uh?" as a heat wave comes in and we've had numerous heat-related deaths in nursing homes past summers.

Marguerite Blais just seems to appear out of nowhere everytime some new awful poo poo comes out about CHSLDs and goes "Oh my that's terrible, I agree 100% with you and this is appalling, we'll get to it right away". Like, they never took care of anything, austerity measures cut services all over the place, all of this was written in the sky and it doesn't seem they're doing anywhere near enough considering the gravity of the situation even as the places are in such dire states.

e: I mean, yeah at least they're not denying the problem exists.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I guess when your diet and physical exercise regimen mean you will likely be dead in two years without a pandemic the coronavirus seems like less of an existential threat.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Zzulu posted:

You aren't missing out much, the mountains are really nice and it is neat to be able to swim in the river in the city during summer. But if you aren't quite wealthy (by American standards) it ain't that fun.

Bleusilences posted:

I can understand bringing your own meat but have one person at the BBQ lol.

I share a terrace with other apartments that has a grill. The amount of people that don't know how to start a proper charcoal fire is staggering.

popewiles posted:

A few years ago my wife and I stayed a couple nights at a bed and breakfast on the west coast of Ireland and one morning we had breakfast with a Swiss family and they were the snootiest, most arrogant people I've encountered in my entire life and from that I've made gross generalizations about Switzerland that no one will ever be able to convince me are incorrect.

That describes probably 80% of swiss traveling abroad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Helios Grime posted:

I share a terrace with other apartments that has a grill. The amount of people that don't know how to start a proper charcoal fire is staggering.

Can you not get chimney starters there or something? Those things are perfect for lighting charcoal on fire.