Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Are you asking because you're afraid to have one that just sends all keys at once? Because it really doesn't need to be fancy at all. I have a logitech mouse so I just use their software, same thing in effect.

For AM storm brand, a cap on the mana scaling unfairly punishes other spells where you actually have to sustain the mana cost somehow. Personally, I would just make archmage exclude brands.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

NPR Journalizard posted:

Is there a known good AHK flask macro floating round?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Thanks for the writeup on quest items hardmode!

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
It'll probably either just exclude brands or have a very reduced effect on brands. I'm glad that was the build I played this league and planned out prior to release, it was a lot of fun and very satisfying to actually theorycraft it on my own and have it turn out as well as it did.

George posted:

As usual it’s also strong because you are scaling damage and defense with the same stat. I think Mana to ES rolls are the true overpowered part of Archmage.

It's this, although using a pure Life/Mana setup worked really well too. I was running around with something like 10-11k HP on my Hiero once I got the pieces into play, 60% MoM is nuts. Either way though, scaling your defense and damage with the same points is pretty potent considering how high the conversion rate is.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
My goal this next league is to only pick up things worth picking up after the first three days. I think a super strict filter is probably the only way I can accomplish this.

Owning the unique tab has been the actual worst thing in this regard.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Few more newbie mapper questions. I'm just into like t3-t5 stuff, level 84. Starting on watchstones. Christ, I'm already at 60 hours played on this game, lol. Smashing stuff is fun. Gonna have to look into what gear I can upgrade though, up the quality on a few pieces of gear, already working on quality gems, probably need to rework my flasks to be better "oh poo poo" and damage prevention buttons, else I'm never going to make it out of level 84.

Anywhos, more newbie mapper questions:

I've been rare'ing my maps. Earlier someone said wait until late tiers (like 14+) and start cartographing them first.

When should I start using the Vaal fragments (except the rare one apparently, should sell it or save it for a full frag run)?

When should I start using those goddamn beetles that are starting to clutter things?

Are there other bullshit drops that I should be using on my maps, and if so, around when is a good point to not "waste" them?

The Metamorph fight seems worth doing, as it's not a long event. Is the Blight one though? I don't really like it yet, probably because it doesn't give you time in-game to read what the buttons do so you just click poo poo. I'd probably like it fine if I watched a video / read the wiki though. But still, it's a longer event, didn't know if it's better to skip it.

I swear, I think I'm starting to get a handle on the game, and it's like NEWP HERE'S YET SOME NEW TYPE OF DROP THAT YOU'RE NOT USING CORRECTLY YOU IDIOT".

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

xZAOx posted:

The Metamorph fight seems worth doing, as it's not a long event. Is the Blight one though? I don't really like it yet, probably because it doesn't give you time in-game to read what the buttons do so you just click poo poo. I'd probably like it fine if I watched a video / read the wiki though. But still, it's a longer event, didn't know if it's better to skip it.

Blight has 5 different towers, each of which has 4 levels. At level 4, you there's two different options to upgrade into, generally speaking it's a "bigger area" vs. "more damage" trade-off. The thing that's not terribly obvious though is when it comes to the portal/lane markers. Those may have an icon on them corresponding to a tower type. That tells you that monsters coming out of that portal are resistant to the indicated tower, not weak against it.

Generally speaking, I like to put a minion tower by each portal, fire tower at chokepoints and empowering towers where they can easily reach 2 or 3 other towers after 1 upgrade. If dealing with minion/fire resistance, I'll usually swap to chilling/shocking, respectively.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

NPR Journalizard posted:

Is there a known good AHK flask macro floating round?

;Lines starting with a ; are comments and are not part of the actual script.
;If you want to deactivate a flask press(e.g. because it is your hp flask) simply add a ; to the start of the line

;this line makes the script only work when Path of Exile is the active window
#IfWinActive, ahk_class POEWindowClass

F4::Suspend, Toggle

;The key (or mouse button) you press to activate the script. For a list of supported "keys" and combinations, see https://autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm
;XButton1 = "Back"-Button on my mouse. For a complete list of special keys, see https://autohotkey.com/docs/KeyList.htm
Space::
{
;Initialize random delays between 57 and 114 ms (arbitrary values, may be changed)
random, delay2, 57, 114
random, delay3, 57, 114
random, delay4, 57, 114
random, delay5, 57, 114

send, 1 ;simulates the keypress of the 1 button. If you use another button, change it!

sleep, %delay2%
send, 2 ;simulates the keypress of the 2 button. If you use another button, change it!

sleep, %delay3%
send, 3 ;simulates the keypress of the 3 button. If you use another button, change it!

sleep, %delay4%
send, 4 ;simulates the keypress of the 4 button. If you use another button, change it!

sleep, %delay5%
send, 5 ;simulates the keypress of the 5 button. If you use another button, change it!
}
return

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

and you can anoint your rings with real cheap anoints that can boost your power. i usually do empower range and additional meteor

I usually do minions to block, but only to like level 1 or 2, then go fire to meteors, empower in a place that it will hit a ton of towers, and then ice up to the glacial block one that just traps monsters.

i didnt like blight league a ton but now as a chance in maps and the odd blighted map, its loving great.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vasudus posted:

TR scales with dot/chaos/proj and attack speed, plus gem levels. The more pods you have, the more dots you have. You can run with a quill rain for the entire early game until you craft a +3 thicket, hopefully with some influenced goodies since you can't get a 7L bow anymore.

Also skill duration, since that increases the total dot damage of each pod.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think the best and simplest solution would be to just make it so that adding or removing a gem link deletes your active brands. Since that's what makes archmage brands so powerful, you can pop out archmage, cast your brands, pop it back in, and get the added damage without ever having to recast them.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Fister Roboto posted:

I think the best and simplest solution would be to just make it so that adding or removing a gem link deletes your active brands. Since that's what makes archmage brands so powerful, you can pop out archmage, cast your brands, pop it back in, and get the added damage without ever having to recast them.

can still do it with vaal clarity or lavianga's spirit afaik

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

drewmoney posted:

This is also what I do, but as I'm doing it with T14 Burial Chambers I think I'm wasting valuable time going back through after killing boss and clearing delirium and doing a full clear. The very, very slim chance of a Doctor drop makes me think it's worth it, but I doubt it.

You know, I'd typically say the same, but the difference in splinter drops between killing a boss in delirium vs. not seems too big. I've been splinter farming in Malformation, and in one of my botched runs, I dropped only ~24 splinters instead of my typical 70-110 (granted, I missed a late-map Cassia where the delirium fog had already moved past which is probably the bigger factor, but point still stands -- you need to keep moving forward at a decent clip).

That kind of difference in splinters seems really hard to justify. I get that the difference probably isn't as big considering I'm also popping Sirus twice as fast but... I dunno.

euphronius posted:

I was looking at toxic rain this league and I could not understand what made the damage scale ?

Scourge arrow poison was more straight forward

As others have said, you scale the dot on the pod, not on any hits.

Generally gem levels and all flavors of dot multi, from what I gather. Apparently you'd need some minimum amount of attack speed to make it feel good. Oh, and also area effect because you want the exploding pods to overlap on single target. Additional projectiles is ok up to something like +3, beyond which it starts making the total TR area of effect bigger, so while additional proj can help your clear slightly, it won't help your bossing at all (because it's not making it any easier for pods to overlap). Feels like overall it's a pretty low-priority stat especially compared some of the other bow builds, but I dunno, I haven't personally seen or tried it myself.

The boyfriend is league starting bane pop occultist and I'm sick of my usual league start aurabot, so I was looking towards something with bossing potential that also benefits Malevolence and Despair. So I, too, have been looking into Toxic Rain, although as a miner. The mine part conveniently gets around the attack speed problem.

TR should be a pretty smooth league start because you can farm Imperial Legacy or Porcupine div cards for a 6L bow, and a single Shrieking Essence of Dread gives you +2 bow gems (you don't even need Deafening tier). Pretty smooth and easy stepping stone to your eventual +3 bows (which isn't even that expensive or random to craft).

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

whypick1 posted:

Blight has 5 different towers, each of which has 4 levels. At level 4, you there's two different options to upgrade into, generally speaking it's a "bigger area" vs. "more damage" trade-off. The thing that's not terribly obvious though is when it comes to the portal/lane markers. Those may have an icon on them corresponding to a tower type. That tells you that monsters coming out of that portal are resistant to the indicated tower, not weak against it.

Generally speaking, I like to put a minion tower by each portal, fire tower at chokepoints and empowering towers where they can easily reach 2 or 3 other towers after 1 upgrade. If dealing with minion/fire resistance, I'll usually swap to chilling/shocking, respectively.

6 towers, not five. My strategy is that on straightaways I put a fire tower closer to the pump, and then a freezing tower further. Shocking towers close to clusters of portals, minion towers near chokepoints, physical near rats nests of paths, and empowering towers where they can hit two or more. I don't spend much time thinking about it though, in general I find it better to just get out more towers than worry about minmaxing their location.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
To win blight,

1. enchant both rings to have freezing towers freeze targets for .4 seconds.
2. Spam lvl 1 freeze towers.
3. Win.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

This wouldn't help, because you don't need to resocket archmage. Just get brand recall juiced enough that the added duration is greater than the cooldown time. Then you just cast them at the start of maps and roll through it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Archmage already doesn't work if the mana cost of a skill is more than your total unreserved mana pool, so if people are fiddling with sockets it's just QoL rather than an opening to nerf the skill.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

This wouldn't help, because you don't need to resocket archmage. Just get brand recall juiced enough that the added duration is greater than the cooldown time. Then you just cast them at the start of maps and roll through it.

But then you don't have the added damage from archmage :confused:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe "resocket" was the wrong choice of words. You don't need to take out archmage to begin with.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Fister Roboto posted:

he meant don't need to unsocket it at all, not leave it unsocketed.

I never took mine out, would just cast one brand, let that brand kill some dudes and I'd have gained enough mana to cast another. 6 brands up after a couple packs and recall keeps them going the rest of the map.

edit: efb

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh yeah that makes sense.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

xZAOx posted:

Anywhos, more newbie mapper questions:

I've been rare'ing my maps. Earlier someone said wait until late tiers (like 14+) and start cartographing them first.

When should I start using the Vaal fragments (except the rare one apparently, should sell it or save it for a full frag run)?

When should I start using those goddamn beetles that are starting to clutter things?

Are there other bullshit drops that I should be using on my maps, and if so, around when is a good point to not "waste" them?

Vaal fragments are fairly cheap and quite plentiful, so do whatever (they can drop off vaal side zones, corrupted map bosses, in addition to delirium/blight/etc.). If you toss them into your map device alongside your normal map, you get a +10% quantity bonus -- and later on when you're rerolling maps, it's all about how high you can get your quantity % while avoiding the rear end mods like reflect, temp chains, or noleech/noregen depending on your build. You could just bulk-sell the fragments, or you can collect a full set and try to experience fighting Atziri to break up the pace. (None of (normal) Atziri's drops are worth that much and she's no longer a high-demand boss, but who knows, you might find the experience new and interesting and fun.)

As for the beetles (scarabs), they're for juicing maps. There are kinda two schools of thought on higher-tier maps -- there's the higher-effort load-as-much-poo poo-onto-maps-as-possible to squeeze every drop out of every map, or there's the low-effort (chisel-and-)alch-and-go. The former is higher effort and requires you to keep track of inventory of sextants and scarabs (as well as spend extra off-time trading and buying for them), but your returns scale quadratically with the amount of currency you invest. The latter way is a perfectly fine way to play if you don't want to deal with all the micromanagement, and you'll still accumulate wealth albeit more slowly. If you don't have a fragment tab, I'd imagine the micromanagement is 10x worse -- you might just be better off selling your scarabs at that point. You probably shouldn't touch them until T15-16 though, and certain T14 if you're target farming specific maps e.g., Burial Chambers (in other words, not all maps are created equal; some T14s are more worth juicing than others).

(Personally I do a combination of the two -- I juice when I'm going hard for something (e.g., Malformations for delirium splinter farming), and other times when I want to chill, I just low-effort alch-and-go.)

As others have said, don't always go about chasing the 'optimal' way to play. Don't optimize your way out of fun in this game. You'll do just fine either way.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Really looking forward to using the unchanged archmage brand with the new fossilized brand MTX!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So looking at the calendar, there is at least 2.5 weeks left in this league? The earliest it would end is 6/15?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

quote:

We are currently planning to announce the 3.11 expansion on June 2 at 2pm (PDT), roughly two weeks from now. This means that we're working toward a launch date of June 19 for PC and June 24 for console. However, it's extremely important to note that more so than any past expansion, it's very possible this launch will be further delayed.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I should probably login at some point and run the 4k delirium splinters I have. I'm gonna get that 1p voice, I just know it.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

lol I named this character well

Necro just doesn't have the damage while leveling that I remember, granted they buffed bosses a lot since then and I am not stacked with leveling gear. My other comfort picks would be a Trickster DOT class using Scorching Ray or ED/Cont... or Sabo trapper/miner of any flavor...

Or maybe I should just go Jugg after-all

Either way, time to take a break until I decide :P

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I think people expecting the issue with Archmage and storm Brand to be resolved via some change to scaling are setting themselves up for a massive disappointment, like going to see the movie Titanic and expecting a surprise ending. Archmage is clearly intended to make the caster pay mana for the damage bonus, and the devs have worked hard to make this clear in the wording. Brands completely violate this, not even to the point where you could argue it is an unintended use, the intended use is clear and Storm Brand does not fall inline with that use. I would be shocked if Brands do not end up on the list of keywords that Archmage does not work with just like totems. I just hope this is the only change, because using Archmage with spells like Arc and Ball Lightning is pretty good when you pair it with unleash.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

All this talk of archmage storm brand is making me want to give it a shot. Maybe I'll reroll my totem heiro into that. Glad I have a bit of time before next league to play around.

My herald stacker is almost online, needs a few more levels to properly work. My dps, storm brand actually, is just a joke but I like how the spell functions.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Fenris13 posted:

I think people expecting the issue with Archmage and storm Brand to be resolved via some change to scaling are setting themselves up for a massive disappointment, like going to see the movie Titanic and expecting a surprise ending.

Yea, nerfing Storm Brand or the Archmage Support are both the wrong answer, neither one is overpowered by itself, it's the specific combo of them. Brand Recall breaks the whole design purpose of Archmage Support. I see two possible solutions, either completely disable brands from using Archmage, or make Brand Recall cost additional mana based on the cost of the brands you are recalling. Would be a more complicated solution to implement, but shouldn't have a significant impact on non-Archmage brand builds.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
I take bex's tweet the opposite way:

Archmage sb lives, and next league is dino league.

(I know it is getting nerfed please do not 'well actually')

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Grimoire posted:

I take bex's tweet the opposite way:

Archmage sb lives, and next league is dino league.

(I know it is getting nerfed please do not 'well actually')

I'm down for more time travel plot.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm also down for "hey catalogue these enemies" followed by "okay we made Jurassic Park and it um went badly, can you go do something about it?", kind of a mix between einhar and Alva.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Dino league would be toight. The Maraketh's rhoas are basically already velociraptors. Also it would get me closer to the loving dragon league I want

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Arrhythmia posted:

loving dragon league I want

Please keep your kink out of PoE

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Arrhythmia posted:

Dino league would be toight. The Maraketh's rhoas are basically already velociraptors. Also it would get me closer to the loving dragon league I want

Rhoas as pack animals, ala Dungeon Siege.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

boo_radley posted:

Rhoas as pack animals, ala Dungeon Siege.

I loved that game a little too much, despite it not being very good and only playing the "multiplayer" mode with waypoints and three difficulty levels solo since that felt way more like Diablo games than the party based save version.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

silvergoose posted:

I'm also down for "hey catalogue these enemies" followed by "okay we made Jurassic Park and it um went badly, can you go do something about it?", kind of a mix between einhar and Alva.

Little bit of Tane in there, too

(Nude. Tane.)

Edit: Also taking shot number three at hardcore leveling, just said gently caress my comfort and went with the Jugg! I missed my Karui bro. Haven't played one since Dpact Zerker in Harbinger

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 27, 2020

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Tenkaris posted:

(Nude. Tane.)

My god, thank you. I thought it was just me. Every time he pops up in a map, I'm expecting him to say "I'm your latest dancer. I can't wait to enterTAYNE you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Trust me, a bunch of people made Tane jokes when the Metamorph announcement first dropped. I can't remember if we made this the thread title or not

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Path of Exile: Metamorph - Now featuring hat wobbles, Flarhgunnstow, and nude Tāne

(His name originally was "Tāne" but it turns out the Unicode character made the game a bit crash-happy)