Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
how the hell did SA getting a cease and desist manage to make this thread less fun??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

fridge corn posted:

I get that it sucks to get spoiled on something you were looking forward to but being melodramatic and acting like it's the end of the world is dumb as heck. It's just a game get over it

most people dont do that at all, but people who dont care about spoilers all act like everyone who cares about them is a literal child for having any opinion on it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bonaventure posted:

how the hell did SA getting a cease and desist manage to make this thread less fun??

the thread was already petering out, everyone willing to spoil themselves already got their hot takes and their jokes out in the air

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Being precious about spoilers can be annoying, but thinking your Billy big bollocks for not caring is 100 times worse.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Starks posted:

I agree that forcing people to view any actual violent images is abusive (and unnecessary), and I think it's a bigger problem with animators and programmers that get moved around and put on different projects vs. hollywood where the people who specialize in gore and violence seem to have a passion for creating those special effects and make up.

That being said this part of your post is a dumb take. It's like saying that you hope morticians don't have children. Just because you're squeamish about something doesn't mean that everyone who isn't is hosed up.

You simultaneously agreed with my take and thought it was dumb. Alright - I suppose the two are not mutually exclusive.

Not sure where in my post I somehow alluded to the idea that people who might be desensitized to violent imagery are "hosed up"? People can certainly compartmentalize things based on context (like your mortician example), that doesn't mean they're not affected.

Actually, it's interesting that you mention morticians. Did you know that only about 5% of their time is spent actually working on corpses, the rest is paperwork, administrative things and being in contact with families of the deceased? Compare that to a RDR2 VFX artist that spends all day in front of a screen animating someone peeling the skin off an animal or looking up reference material for it, minus lunch hours.

Cuntellectual posted:

Presumably he meant the kind of person who would own a pet wouldn't want to have to do in-depth skinning animations, but who knows. :shrug:
Yeah, basically this. People in this business get shuffled around a lot between tasks, there's very little picking and choosing at the big studios.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The real issue is if you care about spoilers you essentially have to turn your phone off for possibly a couple weeks and not post, and not posting in tyool 2020 is a terrible fate. Everyone is a child when it comes to spoilers.

Although the guy who invaded my DS2 run in the gutter named “kylokillshan” right after that movie came out was funny

Also this entire conversation is kinda dumb when you’re in a thread that is explicitly about spoilers for a lovely game none of us will play except for Stux, who just loves trash or something idk

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no idea if ill like the game or not, probably because it isnt out and i havnt played it if i had to guess

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

fridge corn posted:

I get that it sucks to get spoiled on something you were looking forward to but being melodramatic and acting like it's the end of the world is dumb as heck. It's just a game get over it

from what I've seen on these forums the only people that tend to overreact are the people who get called out for posting spoilers or get asked to please not spoil poo poo

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

ErrEff posted:

You simultaneously agreed with my take and thought it was dumb. Alright - I suppose the two are not mutually exclusive.

Not sure where in my post I somehow alluded to the idea that people who might be desensitized to violent imagery are "hosed up"? People can certainly compartmentalize things based on context (like your mortician example), that doesn't mean they're not affected.

Actually, it's interesting that you mention morticians. Did you know that only about 5% of their time is spent actually working on corpses, the rest is paperwork, administrative things and being in contact with families of the deceased? Compare that to a RDR2 VFX artist that spends all day in front of a screen animating someone peeling the skin off an animal or looking up reference material for it, minus lunch hours.

Yeah, basically this. People in this business get shuffled around a lot between tasks, there's very little picking and choosing at the big studios.

It seemed like you were saying that animators shouldn’t be allowed to own dogs, which I thought was a bit much. I’m vegan so I don’t feel guilty about playing RDR2 since I save hundreds of animals every day through my conscious choices.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Looper posted:

can one of y'all tell naughty dog they should've never stopped making platformers?

it's been all downhill since Way of the Warrior tbh

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SUNKOS posted:

I'm just interested if there's more gameplay because replaying TLOU1 reminds you of how much freakin' walking around there is. Uncharted 4 really suffered for this as well which sucked because the combat was fun but you mostly walked around which made me wish I'd just bought something else and watched a playthrough on YouTube or something. I'm expecting more of the same with TLOU2, a hell of a lot of walking around and maybe three or four really well-designed combat encounters that are super fun and make you realize how much potential was wasted.

I'd love to be surprised as well but it looks like they've been really unimaginative with the infected in TLOU2 and are still sticking to humanoid designs. We've seen one new type of clicker and another bloater type that just spews gas but I was hoping we'd see freaky stuff like this concept art for the first game:

The mechanics seem more advanced at least but it basically went from gears of war with brawling to ghost recon with brawling, which I am fine with. Also I am not really against the hosed up gore, because I feel like “Teflon” violence is kinda more hosed up than realistic/“realistic”/mortal kombat.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
:gas:

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Starks posted:

It seemed like you were saying that animators shouldn’t be allowed to own dogs, which I thought was a bit much. I’m vegan so I don’t feel guilty about playing RDR2 since I save hundreds of animals every day through my conscious choices.

Oooookaaay? :goonsay:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ham posted:

Oooookaaay? :goonsay:

I know goons eat a lot but that's a bit much

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

SUNKOS posted:

I'm just interested if there's more gameplay because replaying TLOU1 reminds you of how much freakin' walking around there is.

At least for me the problem isn't the amount of walking, I could muddle around a silenthill style hub for hours, it's that the game doesn't expect you to figure out where to go. In every naughtydog style cinematic adventure you just follow the white paint splashed crevices until the next arena combat section.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Threads quick turn around with the hilarious lawsuit threat was short lived. Now people are getting unironically upset about spoilers in the thread specifically for spoilers.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

I said come in! posted:

Threads quick turn around with the hilarious lawsuit threat was short lived. Now people are getting unironically upset about spoilers in the thread specifically for spoilers.

I was talking more about spoiling things for others in situations they weren't expecting it. If you click on a spoiler thread and get spoiled, that's 100% on you

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you are just minding your own business and someone bombs you with a spoiler that sucks. That said some people take it too far. I just saw a derail in another forum with someone complaining about another poster spoiling the ending of Se7en. You know the movie that came out twenty five years ago.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you are just minding your own business and someone bombs you with a spoiler that sucks. That said some people take it too far. I just saw a derail in another forum with someone complaining about another poster spoiling the ending of Se7en. You know the movie that came out twenty five years ago.

I feel like if someone explicitly says "hey I'm about to watch Seven for the first time" then you are a dick for spoiling it but otherwise yeah, you can't expect freedom for a 20 year old story. (Some arguments can be made for like FF7R which is similar but different)

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

I said come in! posted:

You can't trust anybody when it comes to spoilers, not even yourself.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1258131429936021507

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
This is wonderful.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Lmao

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
what a trainwreck of a release what the gently caress

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

oh heavens to betsy the comments under that tweet are unpleasant

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Imagine how nuts things will get if the game isn't that great and reviewers score it less than 9/10. Actually feel really sorry for anyone who has to review the game if it's not that good and they have to factor the inevitable death threats into the scoring just for their own health and safety.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

SUNKOS posted:

Imagine how nuts things will get if the game isn't that great and reviewers score it less than 9/10. Actually feel really sorry for anyone who has to review the game if it's not that good and they have to factor the inevitable death threats into the scoring just for their own health and safety.

Think you're misreading this - the people likely to get death threats are the high score reviewers this time, judging by how this game is now the posterchild for the "SJW agenda".

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's not so much the surprise of the twist but rather the tension or mystery that precedes the twist imo.

Exactly. Mystery stories, stories where knowing the context of a twist changes how you see everything before it, and so on, are all reasons to not like spoilers.

I don't care personally but I find it weird how people get aggressive over their right to ruin someone else's enjoyment of something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

You've got that pretty genuinely backwards.

Right now the game is a Terrible Beast That Ruined Everything and anyone who reviews it positively will be Obviously Paid Off By Sony.

Like it's entirely possible someone may enjoy the story and game on its own merits and still get bombarded by "you're supporting the ESS JAY WBSSS" or "you just like seeing people murder dogs you monster."

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
also they totally wanted to delay this game to the ps5 and it all came crashing down

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Zeta Acosta posted:

also they totally wanted to delay this game to the ps5 and it all came crashing down

This is some insanely dumb poo poo lmao. Yes, projects taking years of work suddenly shift target platforms at the last year of development, mhmm

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The real issue is if you care about spoilers you essentially have to turn your phone off for possibly a couple weeks and not post, and not posting in tyool 2020 is a terrible fate. Everyone is a child when it comes to spoilers.

Although the guy who invaded my DS2 run in the gutter named “kylokillshan” right after that movie came out was funny

Also this entire conversation is kinda dumb when you’re in a thread that is explicitly about spoilers for a lovely game none of us will play except for Stux, who just loves trash or something idk

imo it says something about a person if they genuinely can't restrain themselves from making other people unhappy.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

imo it says something about a person if they genuinely can't restrain themselves from making other people unhappy.

yeah it says that they post on something awful dot com, or should.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Ham posted:

This is some insanely dumb poo poo lmao. Yes, projects taking years of work suddenly shift target platforms at the last year of development, mhmm

Lemme tell you about a little game called The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for switch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

yeah it says that they post on something awful dot com, or should.

I am pretty sure at this point SA has been anti- "go helldump random websites" longer than it ever was pro that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Starks posted:

lol

thread is good again

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Aye that’s a thread title right there

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/ckunzelman/status/1265383229357461505

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

'post pandemic distressing'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Infinitum posted:

'post pandemic distressing'

that sounds really optimistic right now