Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Uthor posted:

Apparently it is:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Connery

Into a pile of boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRB-woVjlFY

Still looks like it’d kinda hurt, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Aramoro posted:

Kinda reminds me of a fairly famous free climber who died this year because he repelled off the end of a rope they just hadn't tied a knot in. Something he will have done a thousand times before. But a familiarity breed contempt sort if thing creeps in. The squirrel suit guys probably die doing things they've done a hundred times before but just take their eye off it.

”See, the thing is, you only got to gently caress up once. Be a little slow, be a little late, just once. And how you ain't gonna never be slow? Never be late?"

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

I see proper redundancy in this awesome music video

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The Lone Badger posted:

Water would presumably help for that last bit, if you manage to slow down enough.

Except now you get to drown in a squirrelsuit!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/g865ATH.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/cgNEZnC.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/QO7Za7D.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/8t9Awol.mp4

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
latin american spaceway has a pothole, hope they fix it

https://twitter.com/coreyspowell/status/1264665775979323393

lmao at the thought of a starlink stream passing over and just showering everything in dumb musky satellites

bagual fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 26, 2020

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

GotLag posted:

Nicholas Alkemade...

...The Germans didn't believe him until they found the wreckage of his plane with his parachute still in it, at which point they gave him a certificate.

I wonder if he had to do it again after the war to get re-certified in the British system.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Der Kyhe posted:

I wonder if he had to do it again after the war to get re-certified in the British system.

sensible_chuckle.jpg

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Cat Hatter posted:

”See, the thing is, you only got to gently caress up once. Be a little slow, be a little late, just once. And how you ain't gonna never be slow? Never be late?"
https://youtu.be/CGDi5RAPXwI

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHdm6rka3SU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LifeSunDeath posted:

Seriously, why did that dude NEED to walk down that culvert for? I'm sure it's something related to autism, but he's acting like he's a culvert safety inspector but he's just some dude. He reminds me of those fake cops that halfass dress up and pull people over, and are totally insane.

Just another self proclaimed expert I guess. Just like those guys that explore abandoned mines. They learned how to rappel and they learned some terms for what parts of mines are called, so it's cool that they are going down there, trusting their lives to 100 year old wood supports and grabbing old dynamite.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/YoatKlh.gifv

Is this Hot Shots? Been forever since I seen that.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Aramoro posted:

Kinda reminds me of a fairly famous free climber who died this year because he repelled off the end of a rope they just hadn't tied a knot in. Something he will have done a thousand times before. But a familiarity breed contempt sort if thing creeps in. The squirrel suit guys probably die doing things they've done a hundred times before but just take their eye off it.

i don't even necessarily think it is familiarity, it's just that we're not perfect beings that are incapable of forgetting or otherwise missing a small but critical step. i would bet that most of those killed in those activities meticulously checked and rechecked everything but some sequence of events meant they still made a mistake

if free climbing somehow became too safe, there'd still be people pushing the limits by doing poo poo like not taking climbing chalk or doing it blindfolded or some poo poo. it's not about doing it safely, it's about doing it as dangerously as possible while surviving

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Trip report: While you can thread a standard lightbulb into a garden hose fitting, they have different threads per inch so you kinda end up crosstheading them together. It's a pretty solid-feeling connection but I don't think it would be water-tight at mains pressure :(

I was letting my mind wander last night so I tested it out

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Uncle Enzo posted:

Trip report: While you can thread a standard lightbulb into a garden hose fitting, they have different threads per inch so you kinda end up crosstheading them together. It's a pretty solid-feeling connection but I don't think it would be water-tight at mains pressure :(

Good to know, for when this inevitably comes up.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Uncle Enzo posted:

This quality of info is why I paid tenbux for a forums account

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

It's fine. It's probably fine.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

poo poo I was already halfway to the hardware store

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Everyone in this thread needs to watch “Free Solo”, the Oscar winning documentary about the guy who climbed El Capitain without safety ropes. (I think it’s on Disney+ streaming.) At one point they scanned his brain and pointed out where his “fear recepeters” (or something) were vastly different from normal people. I imagine it’s the same for wingsuit trench runners.

Yes, I've seen Star Trek V

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

OctaMurk posted:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

:golfclap:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Uncle Enzo posted:

You mean master installers Howard, Fine and Howard lied to me? Say it ain't so!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1epni7p2mi0

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Thanks, it's working now.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Chabuduo

https://i.imgur.com/p9R06af.mp4

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/chr1sa/status/1265315710902759424?s=09

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

I'd bet a traffic cone that Elon Musk retweets this by tomorrow

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

grillster posted:

Make it interesting, bet your traffic cojones.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

Make it interesting, bet your traffic cojones.

Pfffft, lol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

grillster posted:

Maybe, SpaceX is launching astronauts tomorrow I suspect he's pretty distracted with the whole thing

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Azhais posted:

Maybe, SpaceX is launching astronauts tomorrow I suspect he's pretty distracted with the whole thing

Yeah, he can only move money off shore so fast.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Everyone’s a critic, but at least the car knows not to cruise control it’s way into a traffic cone while the driver is playing on their phone.

Just wait - someday instead of retroreflective gear, we’ll just have Truck Nutz for joggers. Truck Nutz for traffic cops. Truck Nutz for flaggers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SniperWoreConverse posted:

it's mesmerizing. Just watching it I have a weird compulsion to abandon the guys and head off towards the right and across that town as far as I can go. Go past the horizon. In reality I'd immediately paste myself by going off trail but it's like looking over a cliff and wanting to jump.

I've been bungee jumping and am now completely convinced of two things:

I will not ever kill myself that way.

The rush of that moment beat my brief exposure to cocaine.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

A film set maybe?

Hopefully?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

a primate posted:

A film set maybe?

Hopefully?

You sweet, innocent man.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

You sweet, innocent man.

JUST TELL ME IT'S A FILM SET DAMMIT!

... please...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Azathoth posted:

JUST TELL ME IT'S A FILM SET DAMMIT!

... please...

When I first moved to China, I was being shown around the school I worked at by one of my fellow teachers. After we'd seen the whole campus he asked me how old I thought the school was, physically. From the conditions of the buildings, I guessed it was about 40 years old.

It was almost five. I particularly enjoyed the huge crack in the concrete running across the entire cafeteria building, good thing that school is in a very active earthquake zone.

They replaced the outer wall while I worked there. I've seen 2,000 year old Roman ruins that were in better shape than the brickwork they put up before they covered it with fake concrete panels to make it look smooth and solid. The bricks may have been fake too, I dunno. I've seen fake hollow ones in trash piles.

Every apartment in China collapses in some way. Mine was actually good quality and vaguely maintained, so the biggest problem (other than half the electrical stuff breaking over the four years, including the light switch that audibly arced when used and the maintenance guy said was "no problem") was when part of the wall in the bathroom fell off, but I was able to duct tape that back up. Got my deposit back since that wasn't considered real damage.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

a primate posted:

A film set maybe?

Hopefully?

Nah, whoever was sourcing the construction materials from China decided to cut corners in the procurement process or go for the cheapest stuff that met the specs on paper. That's not an indictment of all Chinese manufacturing: you can absolutely get perfectly fine materials from China but you have to know and follow the proper process and go through state-certified firms that are generally charging a higher price. If you try to go cheap you will get unabashedly taken for a ride with little to no recourse because by the time you realize the materials you bought are hollow the firm that sold them to you has vanished off the face of the earth.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Every apartment in China collapses in some way. Mine was actually good quality and vaguely maintained, so the biggest problem (other than half the electrical stuff breaking over the four years, including the light switch that audibly arced when used and the maintenance guy said was "no problem") was when part of the wall in the bathroom fell off, but I was able to duct tape that back up. Got my deposit back since that wasn't considered real damage.

I had the same experience when I was living there. I was working for a company and living on the factory campus in their "executive suites" for unmarried white-collar managers/engineers (so, just average small apartments) and the walls also had cracks and the stairwells weren't level and the doors creaked and so on. I would have thought the building dated back at least to the 80s but it too was less than five years old.

Some of it is chabuduo, sure. My boss told me that a large part of the cheapness, though, for residential buildings at least, was that Chinese people prefer not to live in an apartment someone else has lived in before -- either for superstitious reasons (ghosts, etc) or just because of a cultural attitude that it was kind of like wearing someone else's underwear. This meant that once the first round of tenants had moved out of a new building, it would become harder and harder to fill the spaces, so one reasonably profitable strategy was just to build cheap poo poo buildings that would only last ten years, but it was fine because everyone would be gone by then, and you'd just demolish the whole thing and build a new more-or-less identical apartment in its place and that would be far more attractive even if it was equally cheap poo poo.

Is that more or less accurate in your experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Haven't seen truck nutz here in Texas in a long time, I feel like it must be limited to florida at this point.