Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I've been hearing from guys like Archwarhammer that" Space Marines already have black representation with the Salamanders," which just misses the point so loving much. What , do space marines practice segregation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Nostraman chaos marines in the books have solid black eyes with no pupils and see in the dark.

40K lore is great for adding all sorts of weird customization and conversions and making it all fit. give your chaos Space Marines purple skin and call them the people eaters. It all flies.

I'm glad that it feels like we're getting more diversity in the human factions, potentially female guard troop options, etc.

I'm not sure it would ever really fit for the Imperium to have female Space Marines, but I think it would be really cool to have female chaos Space Marines. They're much more anything goes, and a little bit more desperate in many ways. New recruits come from the best available stock. Also, the CSM are less likely to be bogged down by silly questions about the integrity of the gene seed.

I think it would be really Warhammery to have the Chaos Faction shown to be the more Progressive of the bunch.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Hihohe posted:

I've been hearing from guys like Archwarhammer that" Space Marines already have black representation with the Salamanders," which just misses the point so loving much. What , do space marines practice segregation?

arch is just chasing the outrage of twisted little chuds who want to get mad at 40K LOSING THE GRIMDARK SJW MARINES RARRGH, my main hope is that he falls in a well tbh

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
For the love of god, don't pay attention to that rear end in a top hat. Just pretend he doesn't exist, it's better that way.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I want an imperial guard update that looks like the old rt imperial army art with cadian/catachan/etc upgrade sprues

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Maneck posted:

Is it canonical or my head cannon that marine's skill tone changes depending on the environment?

Yes, one of the new organs that are implanted as part of the process is the Melanchromic Organ; "This implant controls the amount of melanin in a Marine's skin. Exposure to high levels of sunlight will result in the Marine's skin darkening to compensate. It also protects the Marine from other forms of radiation." Basically a Space Marine is like a giant transition lens. This is kind of a questionable implant given that they spend most of their time in complete armor, and have way more pressing health issues than either skin cancer or vitamin D deficiency, but not really any weirder than their poisonous spit or second stomach. The Emperor really just went nuts with the changes.

Note that this means that any Space Marine - even named characters! - can be depicted as basically any skin tone, because if Marneus Calgar or Ragnar Blackmane takes his helmet off on in the tropics he's auto-adjust to a darker skintone. So you can happily paint your Space Wolves with dark skin even though they're pulled from a weird frozen viking world. The exceptions would be Salamanders and Blood Ravens because of their specific geneseed issues.

It also makes it kind of awkward and telling that it took so long for GW to actually start depicting any appreciable number of skintones in the models and art.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

is it just me or is this the first time we've seen a "reduce the AP of an attack" ability?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

is it just me or is this the first time we've seen a "reduce the AP of an attack" ability?

Just you, check out thousand sons and salamanders.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Booley posted:

Just you, check out thousand sons and salamanders.

All is Dust is one of the things I had in mind because its functionally identical but works from the opposite direction. Salamanders just ignore AP-1.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Ashcans posted:

Note that this means that any Space Marine - even named characters! - can be depicted as basically any skin tone, because if Marneus Calgar or Ragnar Blackmane takes his helmet off on in the tropics he's auto-adjust to a darker skintone. So you can happily paint your Space Wolves with dark skin even though they're pulled from a weird frozen viking world. The exceptions would be Salamanders and Blood Ravens because of their specific geneseed issues.

It also makes it kind of awkward and telling that it took so long for GW to actually start depicting any appreciable number of skintones in the models and art.

I think one of the reasons you see so many monochromatic, light skin tone figures is people start out making their figures look "like the box", then once you learn to paint one kind of skin decently well it seems like a big challenge to learn to paint others. (Or you just want your army to look similar.) GW putting different types of people in their models and art is a big step towards making everyone show a greater degree of diversity in their forces.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gameko posted:

I think one of the reasons you see so many monochromatic, light skin tone figures is people start out making their figures look "like the box", then once you learn to paint one kind of skin decently well it seems like a big challenge to learn to paint others. (Or you just want your army to look similar.) GW putting different types of people in their models and art is a big step towards making everyone show a greater degree of diversity in their forces.

GW also took a really long time to show people other skin tones. Most of the paint range with "skin" in the name runs from pale to slightly tanned. To do dark skin you basically have to take something named Dryad Bark. It's one of those microaggressions like how band aids tended to be colored as to not stand out on caucasian skin tones, no offense was intended but it belays a serious blindspot in diversity.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
It's wild that painting pasty white people is the default given how much easier black and brown skin is to paint when every single motherfucking white skin tone paint is runny, thin, watery bullshit.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

spectralent posted:

It's wild that painting pasty white people is the default given how much easier black and brown skin is to paint when every single motherfucking white skin tone paint is runny, thin, watery bullshit.

I was blown away by how easy it was once I saw you can basically do it with some Dryad Bark and Drukhi Violet. I mostly play Undead factions in Age of Sigmar so skintones are rarely an issue but in the times I've had to it makes a diverse group of people easy.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

RagnarokAngel posted:

I was blown away by how easy it was once I saw you can basically do it with some Dryad Bark and Drukhi Violet. I mostly play Undead factions in Age of Sigmar so skintones are rarely an issue but in the times I've had to it makes a diverse group of people easy.

I've been painting an obscene amount of 15mm guys for north africa and middle eastern theatres, and it's just astonishingly easy compared to trying to get pale skin looking anything better than okay. You can do great middle eastern skin tone with brown drab/tan earth (probably about Steel Legion Drab?) and mix it with sand yellow (probably about tallarn sand).

Though you sure do see the microaggression thing when you go "Yeah, highlight the tallarn guy's skin with a mix of the brown paint and sand colour...".

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The whiteness of Warhammer models also probably owes to the kind of latent bias where you, like, paint "flesh" roughly the color of your own skin by default. The UK is 87% white, the US 72%, and Germany something like 89%; a lot of the biggest markets for the game are very white countries.

I'm glad they're depicting more diversity, though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Steel Legion Drab by itself works as a pretty good skin tone I've discovered.

The lighting is kinda bad for the shot but the skin was just Steel Legion drab with Baneblade Brown as highlight. Although next time I might just try Tallarn Sand.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I would buy a paint set that was just a range of skin tone triads. Base, shade, highlight.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I would buy a paint set that was just a range of skin tone triads. Base, shade, highlight.

I wonder how many honky armies are caused by the painter only having the right shades for whitey

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
One nice thing about Reaper's paints is that since they introduced the Master Series paints, they've been really good at having a wide variety of skin tones labeled as such. Their Dark Skin triad is particularly good.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

for me at least I initially painted my dude's skin to be like a light tan mostly because my hand and fingers are literally right there to compare color to. There wasn't much else thought going into other than "now I have to do this 80 more times" lol

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cooked Auto posted:

Steel Legion Drab by itself works as a pretty good skin tone I've discovered.

The lighting is kinda bad for the shot but the skin was just Steel Legion drab with Baneblade Brown as highlight. Although next time I might just try Tallarn Sand.

You want to mix it, to be clear; medium-browns and tanner yellows go really well for lightening the shade without having that weird corpse-y effect you get if you just use white.

At least such was my discovery! Maybe you won't like the effect so much but I swear by it at this point for painting dozens of tiny guys.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

learning subdermal color zones is how you get your mugs lookin' real nice

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wonder how many honky armies are caused by the painter only having the right shades for whitey

This was my Imperial guard army when i had it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

to make up for this my eldar are gonna have a lot of darker tones.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Alternative take. Helmets on everyone!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

spectralent posted:

You want to mix it, to be clear; medium-browns and tanner yellows go really well for lightening the shade without having that weird corpse-y effect you get if you just use white.

At least such was my discovery! Maybe you won't like the effect so much but I swear by it at this point for painting dozens of tiny guys.

The world of mixing goes on and on. You can use something reddish-yellow to keep the dark tones rich or add a touch of blue to simulate reflection from the sky.

Grab all your skin tone painting recipes from the Goonhammer's Guide to Painting Human Skin.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

spectralent posted:

It's fine, I was just going off a skin painting tutorial in that case and wanted to try it because I didn't just want to make her caucasian. Admittedly I am bad at making paints go on smoothly so it probably made it a look a bit worse.

Floppychop posted:

Hard to do that with IG. Even if that was my goal when I first painted my Blood Raven Marines, although nowadays I'm far more willing to test various skin tone recipes and see how it goes.
(Usually not that great.)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Floppychop posted:

When I couldn't afford to buy paint very often I did this because I only had the paint for "lily white"

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I like pointing at my 40 scions and saying “they’re all women of color” and judging the other guy’s reaction

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Booley posted:

He's "nazi flags hanging on his bedroom walls" guy.

I randomly wandered into archammer when looking for something to tell my wife about necromunda...

i can barely stand listening to this limey bitch fest complain about unrelated lore because of the writer. It's like a GW version of a Dr Who fan.

The nazi part is just piss icing on a poo poo cake.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

From what I've heard he's from Norway but I could be wrong. :v:

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
Just a note on the marine on the book cover, He has a gray chevron on his shoulder, making him a grey shield, correct? does that mean Cawl could of picked him up from anywhere, or was he a space marine 10,000 years ago?

I really don't get the stupid whinging considering Jonas from Dawn Of War exists, unless these Chuds still go "Lalala Blood Ravens don't exist" even after they got into the codex and got a model in a box game.

Regarding Necrons: any chance the tall walkers are new ghost ark/ annihilation barge models? Any good speculations on the guy hiding behind the monolith, I've watched a few analysis videos and no one seems to notice him?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

spectralent posted:

I find it much, much easier to get Caucasian skin tones to display quality than dark skin tones. It is really difficult to highlight dark skin enough to be visually interesting, without it becoming something inhuman. Its not impossible, but it isn't easier.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

In case you missed it GW held an extended Q&A session about 9th edition and one of the folks at Goonhammer transcribed the whole thing:
https://twitter.com/PrimarisKevin/status/1265358863244627974

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Cooked Auto posted:

In case you missed it GW held an extended Q&A session about 9th edition and one of the folks at Goonhammer transcribed the whole thing:

Goonhammer is really the coolest thing since Portent was Portent.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cooked Auto posted:

9E seems like it's going to tick nearly every box on my wishlist. Really looking forward to some sensible terrain rules, no more getting sniped through tiny gaps in ruins, or three-storey monsters being unable to hit things below their eye level.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Mugaaz posted:

I find it much, much easier to get Caucasian skin tones to display quality than dark skin tones. It is really difficult to highlight dark skin enough to be visually interesting, without it becoming something inhuman. Its not impossible, but it isn't easier.

I can believe that; at really expert levels I bet thin paints are really good for getting multiple layers of highlights and the wateryness lets you do good blends. But, I suck at painting and have a gazillion guys to paint so something that looks decent at 2-3 steps is my ideal, and I've never managed that with pink-white tones and found it trivial with dark tones.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Players receiving the same amount of CP dependant on game size is cool, but then the comments on 'playing with what you want to take not what you have to take' is a tad concerning for competitive play.

If both players have the same amount of CP but one is 2000pts of lord discordants and one is a 2000pt Marine list with some sort of balance, that seems uh - not great.

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

Yeast posted:

Players receiving the same amount of CP dependant on game size is cool, but then the comments on 'playing with what you want to take not what you have to take' is a tad concerning for competitive play.

If both players have the same amount of CP but one is 2000pts of lord discordants and one is a 2000pt Marine list with some sort of balance, that seems uh - not great.

Maybe the Rule of Three sticks around? I wouldn't want to face a list like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

a witch posted:

Maybe the Rule of Three sticks around? I wouldn't want to face a list like that.

Yeah I bet some version of rule of 3 will exist.

It’s awesome not having to take battalions for CP, but it did kind of add a novel dimension to list building. Because of the opportunity costs. Now it seems even more straightforward to just take the best units.

Also, there are caps on dice modifiers! That’s neat.