Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Goodbye TEIOH, hello ROCHE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Namnesor posted:

I hope he appears throughout the rest of the series, in places where it's increasingly unlikely for a motorcycle to be able to navigate to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP9nIaNz3LE

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Bingo.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The new boss fight of Mythril Caves will be Roche.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
That Jenova fight is kind of a let down in the first few segments because you're subjugated to a lesser version of the fight theme on mostly just some strings and horns (I think.) Then the third phase starts, they finally crank up the synthesizer, and everything is right in the world.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Nah the buildup is essential. Get the listener off balance so they don't expect what's coming.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Tim Rogers finally put out his commentary on FF7 remake. I'll call it that since it's over three hours long :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu4H5ykBP0I

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

gredgie posted:

Oh, so you don't need to complete the whole chapter to "lock in" things?

As the other person notes for items, materia, xp, and levels and whatnot you're good to go instantly. You only need to complete the chapter to lock in plot choices you make. So discussion options, side quests, the discovery side quest things, etc. Which basically is just the side quests and the things that determine which chapter 14 resolution you get and what chapter 9 dresses you get and chapter 9 side quests you got. Notably on that last one there's an achievement for doing every single side quest and that means doing chapter 9 through twice to get the Chocobo Sam and Madam M side quest sets. If you go for getting all 9 dresses you'll end up doing that anyways.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ImpAtom posted:

"Monsters" exist (though not necessarily malicious monsters see Red XIII) but the reason there are so many of them and they're so actively dangerous is because of Mako plants causing mutations and aberrations.

I think that depends on your location. I think monsters further north are more dangerous because they're descended from some of the first Cetra Jenova hosed with. But that may have been fanfic.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You must be out of your mind if you think I'm watching 3 hours of a Youtuber giving his opinion on the game, when I can just look back through this thread to discover that WOW, game is GOOD!!!!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Gologle posted:

You must be out of your mind if you think I'm watching 3 hours of a Youtuber giving his opinion on the game, when I can just look back through this thread to discover that WOW, game is GOOD!!!!

3 hours of Tim Rogers is not enough Tim Rogers imho

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gologle posted:

Tim Rogers is good and his videos tend to be extremely entertaining. His reviews are usually spectacles in and of themselves given how he writes and edits them.

but also there's no chance I'm watching it in a single sitting, holy poo poo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Takoluka posted:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm watching the beginning of the review now and god what a weird and fascinating dude Tim Rogers is.

Also it is very clear that jumping directly to making $11,000/month on Patreon after leaving Kotaku is a lot of pressure and he's feeling that a lot (as evidenced by spending the beginning of the video trying to show how much work he's doing to justify being paid that much for game review videos)

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Hello, and welcome back...to video games.

Harrow posted:

Tim Rogers is good and his videos tend to be extremely entertaining. His reviews are usually spectacles in and of themselves given how he writes and edits them.

but also there's no chance I'm watching it in a single sitting, holy poo poo

I MIGHT be able to do it in between other things I'm doing, but I've been waiting for this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I've been looking forward to this for a while. I supported his Patreon right away because I want this guy to keep making weird reviews about games he loves forever so I can keep watching them.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

where more roche

You. you get it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Gologle posted:

You should, if only to see that the first line out of his mouth after the introduction is him going "If you don't want to want watch a 3 hour video, game is good". For all that he has a personality, Tim Rogers is profoundly self-aware of how it comes off.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mulva posted:

You should, if only to see that the first line out of his mouth after the introduction is him going "If you don't want to want watch a 3 hour video, game is good". For all that he has a personality, Tim Rogers is profoundly self-aware of how it comes off.

Is...is he the guy who voices Archer in the abridged UBW dub? :psyduck:
Cause I had the first half of the video on in the background last night, and he certainly has the same voice inflections.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Takoluka posted:

Same. Also, there are very few people alive more qualified to review this game in particular than Tim Rogers.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He really got me thinking towards the end with his "Hard mode is the real way the designers want you to play the game, all the RPG bullshit is them being held back by fear from making what they want to, an action game". Considering the trend of their games over the decades at this point....yeah, there probably is an argument to be made they'd be happier making even more of an action game.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Who knew that Dirge of Cerberus was the true final form of Final Fantasy all along

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mulva posted:

He really got me thinking towards the end with his "Hard mode is the real way the designers want you to play the game, all the RPG bullshit is them being held back by fear from making what they want to, an action game". Considering the trend of their games over the decades at this point....yeah, there probably is an argument to be made they'd be happier making even more of an action game.

I found that part of the review really interesting because the sort of conflict between story urgency and the player's need to sidetrack for rewards is something that happens in a lot of games, including a lot of other JRPGs, even when they aren't solid action games like FF7R. But I felt it more keenly in FF7R than I usually do, perhaps because it does such a good job of selling the urgency faced by the characters. It's like a micro version of the open world problem, where there's some important plot going on but the protagonist spends hours and hours loving around constantly because that's what you do in an open world.

My gut instinct is to reject the idea that it should fully commit to being a linear action game, but I haven't yet been able to fully articulate why or examine why that's my immediate response. I mean the simple answer is "I like RPGs" but that doesn't feel quite like it's the answer.

I do think there's an argument to be made for ditching consumable items in FF7R part 2 and balancing around that from the start. It wouldn't be the first JRPG to do so, either.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I can see that because FFVII feels like the first Final Fantasy to be based off of action movies, or at least the aesthetics of them. I'll have to try hard mode when I get around to it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hard mode would've sucked rear end without the normal mode being a tutorial of sorts, and having everything that you need for hard mode trivially available would also have been less satisfying, I think. So while hard mode may have been the way the designers wanted you to play the game eventually, I don't think the normal mode was pointless by any means.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PT6A posted:

Hard mode would've sucked rear end without the normal mode being a tutorial of sorts, and having everything that you need for hard mode trivially available would also have been less satisfying, I think. So while hard mode may have been the way the designers wanted you to play the game eventually, I don't think the normal mode was pointless by any means.

That's something that comes up in the review, too, how the game shines more on a second (or third, or fourth) playthrough. Tim Rogers quoted another writer about something like--video games are better the second time you play them. He compared that to saying "movies are better when the actors have read the script," meaning that you can more convincingly and immersively play the role you're supposed to play if you've already played the game. Hard mode is part of that, because you already have all your weapons, armor, and materia, and any consumables you could find on side paths are unusable, so it's easier to maintain the pace of the story while still retaining all the different combat options and depth you've learned from Normal mode.

Tim's tongue-in-cheek way of putting it was "you should play FF7 before FF7R, but you should also play FF7R before you play FF7R."

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
One thing I never noticed that Rogers pointed out is that the album cover for the jazz version of "On Our Way" is a Tatsuro Yamashita nod.

This soundtrack just keeps on giving.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So I was just thinking about something silly.

Everybody who was still alive and at the Mako Reactor (Cloud and Zack) were both put into pods for 5 years by Hojo.

If Zangan didn’t pick up Tifa from the reactor, would the same thing have happened to her? Would we have SOLDIER First Class Tifa Lockhart?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Everybody who was still alive and at the Mako Reactor (Cloud and Zack) were both put into pods for 5 years by Hojo.

If Zangan didn’t pick up Tifa from the reactor, would the same thing have happened to her? Would we have SOLDIER First Class Tifa Lockhart?

Entirely possible but it's also possible she wouldn't have mentally survived the process. Zack was the only one who emerged relatively unscathed and it took a whole lot of poo poo for Cloud to come out of his coma and none of the other Hojo experiments seem to ever have.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Is...is he the guy who voices Archer in the abridged UBW dub? :psyduck:
Cause I had the first half of the video on in the background last night, and he certainly has the same voice inflections.

Nah, Logan Laidlaw is Canadian. It is very eerie though since he also did a gushing playthrough of FF7 Remake on his twitch stream and they do sound totally similar.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

My gut instinct is to reject the idea that it should fully commit to being a linear action game, but I haven't yet been able to fully articulate why or examine why that's my immediate response. I mean the simple answer is "I like RPGs" but that doesn't feel quite like it's the answer.

I do think there's an argument to be made for ditching consumable items in FF7R part 2 and balancing around that from the start. It wouldn't be the first JRPG to do so, either.

These two statements are illustrative of the issue (if you want to call it that) with a remake: you can do some interesting things with the core systems and the story to differentiate it from the original, but so much of peoples' willingness to play a remake is tied in to hard-to-pin-down elements of nostalgia and fondness for certain genre conventions. Moving around an open world without a sense of urgency imposed by the game's systems and having a bunch of consumable items to chew through are fundamental parts of the DNA of FF (and, really, RPGs at large). Making FF7R a linear title and removing consumables both probably would create a stronger gameplay experience in a vacuum, but it's highly debatable whether it would be as well received.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
This is why it's so hard to pin down what makes a "good game". FFXIII cut out almost all of the side diversions, but most people agree that it made for a weaker "game" to just run down a path from encounter to encounter. Tim talks about how it's a negative to have little side paths to explore for rewards because it distracts from the immediate urgency, but I think it's hard to deny that a gamer's brain releases little dopamine shots when your curiosity to explore off the main path is rewarded with a chest full of goodies. So while eliminating that stuff may better support the urgency of the narrative, subconsciously I think it makes the game feel too plain, too unrewarding for being observant of your environment, and perhaps badly paced for not giving you little breaks and breathers between the constant dashing forward. It's a microscale version of the benefit of a dungeon->town->dungeon routine, of giving you little rests between tension.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Nowhere is Square's inability to write an in-house game engine or manage a project worth a drat more tragic than in FFXIII. Its aesthetics were far and away the best in the whole series, and the combat is really good too. It could have been an entry as strong as VII if it didn't have an insane nonsense plot that disappeared entirely up its own rear end.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Sapozhnik posted:

Nowhere is Square's inability to write an in-house game engine or manage a project worth a drat more tragic than in FFXIII. Its aesthetics were far and away the best in the whole series, and the combat is really good too. It could have been an entry as strong as VII if it didn't have an insane nonsense plot that disappeared entirely up its own rear end.

It's good, IMO

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There are a lot of FF games that I like, or even love, even though I can see very clearly where they fail to live up to their own ambitions. FFXII is maybe the strongest example of this. It's one of my three favorite games in the series, but I can't deny that the story just fails to develop a lot of its more interesting characters and ideas, likely because it ended up being rushed to completion (and because its director, who has a very distinctive style of storytelling, burnt out and left the project). I already think it's a great game, but I can imagine a version of it without the cut narrative corners and it makes me really wish we could've seen it.

Vermain posted:

These two statements are illustrative of the issue (if you want to call it that) with a remake: you can do some interesting things with the core systems and the story to differentiate it from the original, but so much of peoples' willingness to play a remake is tied in to hard-to-pin-down elements of nostalgia and fondness for certain genre conventions. Moving around an open world without a sense of urgency imposed by the game's systems and having a bunch of consumable items to chew through are fundamental parts of the DNA of FF (and, really, RPGs at large). Making FF7R a linear title and removing consumables both probably would create a stronger gameplay experience in a vacuum, but it's highly debatable whether it would be as well received.

Yeah, this is something I was trying to articulate. I think there's more to an overall game experience than can necessarily be quantified and while I can see the argument that they take away from the narrative urgency and pacing, I wouldn't want to do away with exploration, side paths, and item gathering entirely. They may take away from one aspect but they add in their own ways, too. Their absence would be felt and I don't know that the game would, as a whole, be stronger for it.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 27, 2020

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think Cloud and Zack were experimented on solely because they were 'company property'.

Tifa probably would have ended up a mumbling black cloak like the other townspeople.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Schwartzcough posted:

but I think it's hard to deny that a gamer's brain releases little dopamine shots when your curiosity to explore off the main path is rewarded with a chest full of goodies

Personally my brain only releases dopamine when the reward is something I can use, like a new weapon or materia or something. I fully agree with him that little split-ups that give you nothing but potions (or even elixirs) are a blight on the RPG landscape. Frankly I feel like a lot of modern RPGs are even worse about this than older games, like they designed the maps with the treasure boxes first and the actual contents of those boxes are so disproportionately bad compared to the effort it took to reach them that I doubt any designer thought about it for more than a second. FF7R isn't quite that bad, but it's still filled with items I don't care about.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is why I think ditching consumables entirely might not be the worst idea, assuming the normal mode is balanced around their absence. I'm sure it'd be weird to have a Final Fantasy without Potions and Phoenix Downs, but hey, FFVIII ditched almost the entire equipment system and it even kinda worked, so it wouldn't be the biggest leap the series has made.

New materia, weapons, armor, and accessories feel good as rewards if you go out of your way for them (and I like how they sometimes put in little optional light puzzles to get a shiny new materia you can see but need to figure out how to reach) and make it feel worth it to divert from the path for a while.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It feels like they felt obligated to have items lying around, and also wanted them to feel significant, but didn't have enough item types to go around, so they just gave you materia. I remember finding stuff like an unleveled Poison on the very last dungeon, which felt extra pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wonder how receptive people would be with bringing in full heals after every battle from XIII, at least for Normal. With getting rid of consumables, it would focus the action more on surviving each single battle, rather than having to worry about resource management and battles of attrition through dungeons.