Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Artelier posted:

For single episodes of television, I'm really fond of Community's Remedial Chaos Theory (alternate dimensions episode) and Doctor Who's Heaven Sent (Peter Capaldi stuck in a hell)

I have only seen one episode of Doctor Who
Agreed completely on the Community episode, the only one that comes close is Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Single episodes?

Blackwater, Game of Thrones
Pine Barrens, The Sopranos
The Suitcase, Mad Men
Charlie Work, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Ozymandius, Breaking Bad

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The best ep of Mad Men is the one that ends with Sterling ralphing up two dozen oysters and a ton of scotch

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Single episodes?

For me, Whitecaps is probably the absolute best episode of the Sopranos. The scenes of Tony and Carmela's cataclysmic arguments feature some of the best acting I've ever seen.

Episode 8 of Twin Peaks: The Return is probably the best single episode of television ever made in the history of forever.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

hello friends, how is it going

jesus WEP posted:

The best ep of Mad Men is the one that ends with Sterling ralphing up two dozen oysters and a ton of scotch

I just realized that the reason I like Wags on Billions is that he has big-time Sterling energy.

the pilot of the Friday Night Lights TV series is pretty memorable, but the Mud Bowl episode from season 1 is good too. I should really try and watch that series again sometime.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Episode 8 of Twin Peaks: The Return is probably the best single episode of television ever made in the history of forever.

I couldn't get into Twin Peaks, back then and now, but I will say this - I have never seen an hour of television like that episode.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose is the best episode of the X-Files by a good long distance imo. It’s one of the funniest episodes, and also surprisingly touching. I mostly like a good monster of the week episode over the mythology/continuity episodes, and this has everything you would want from one.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
quarantine movie list: part 5 or 6. this is a long post, and it has a soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5ALPzS0QfQ

Who Killed Captain Alex? - watching this is what i imagine it's like to take datura. this psychotic fugue state is also a love letter to cinema and the art of film making. this is something new that evolved from film, and may be considered a film in the same way that a mammal may be considered a reptile.

I'm Dreaming of a White Doomsday – this is a no-budget apocalyptic Christmas horror film. a mother and her eight year old son must ride out of the end of the world in a bunker that looks like someone's basement. this film was close to not being terrible but they gently caress up too much stuff. the best actor in the film is the child. this film has some very nice cinematography but the script is awful and the lead actress is comically bad. if any of you are amateur film makers and need help with your script, send me a private message. i could have saved this film's life.

Rififi – this movie is so cool. everyone is cool and sexy in this movie. i love movies about criminals that perform elaborate heists. i wish i was in a cool group of jewel thieves, and we could do let's plays together too, and be friends and have fun. you should watch this movie, with me, after you invite me to join your group of friends.

Gilda – Rita Hayworth has a huge back. she would have been a great wrestler. get her on the gas and put her in the gym. she'd have been the biggest wrestling star of all time, instead of some actress in Hollywood. this movie sort of lost me near the end, but it was still pretty good.

Androcles and the Lion – this is a religious comedy film about Romans feeding Christians to the lions. the last 10 minutes are worth sitting through the rest of this weird crappy movie.

Operation Petticoat – this movie is based on a true story about the exploits and adventures of the crew of a pink submarine during World War II. Cary Grant is the captain of a submarine that behaves like the Millennium Falcon, and Tony Curtis is his thieving Chewbacca. when the vessel is forced to take aboard six beautiful, buxom army nurses, things get a little wacky, and a little sexy. the guys on the boat do a lot of gross stuff that was considered normal at the time, but this film's heart is in the right place. it's trying to be nice to women, and maybe this was the best you could expect in 1959. this has some funny gags and some beautiful, intelligent, and capable ladies. recommended.

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen – this is a good kids movie, but Terry Gilliam didn't want people to say this was a movie for kids, so he put in a lot of nude overweight women at the beginning, and in a later scene you can see Uma Thurman's nipple for a fraction of a second. i would have liked this movie a lot if i had seen it for the first time as a kid, mostly because of the nude overweight women.

The Pawnbroker – Quincy Jones returns to bring a jazzy score to this film about a traumatized Holocaust survivor. you won't be able to resist tapping your foot and snapping your fingers as Sol Nazerman deals with the horror and guilt of surviving the concentration camp that his wife and children could not. you'll feel like getting up and dancing while you watch Sol isolate himself from forming meaningful relationships and insulate himself from his emotions. Soul Bossa Nova makes its film debut in The Pawnbroker, and would later go on to be used in Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, an equally depressing film. Rod Steiger should have won best actor for this movie, but he lost to fuckin Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou. i can't even believe that poo poo.

Kill the Umpire – kill everyone involved in the production of this film who hasn't already died.

Escape From New York - i don't really remember anything that happens in this movie. everyone says this movie is good but i can't remember. Isaac Hayes and Ernest Borgnine are in this, and Ox Baker... disappointing.

High Noon – nobody wants to be Gary Cooper's friend. good movie. features a young, impish Lloyd Bridges.

The Death of Stalin – everyone in the subforum has already seen this movie, so i don't need to talk about it.

Modesty Blaise - one of the worst films i have ever seen in my life. my eyes began to hurt after 20 minutes of watching this ugliness. nothing in this film makes sense, it is boring, there is no plot, and nothing is funny. Monica Vitti has the emotive range of a Xanax addict, and none of the charm. Chancellor Valorum from The Phantom Menace is Modesty Blaise's partner in crime and they sing together about how they should be boyfriend and girlfriend and then Muslims on inflatable boats ride onto the beach and start killing people. this is two hours of images and sounds that weakly try to trick the audience into believing that they are watching a film. avoid at all costs.

Murder on the Orient Express – i know a lot of Hercule Poirots that post in this subforum. this movie has a great cast. Ingrid Bergman steals the show in an Oscar winning performance. recommended.

They Call Me Mr. Tibbs! - i call this movie a piece of trash!

Mackenna's Gold – this movie stinks. it takes seven minutes to see our first character. Quincy Jones returns with a song about a turkey vulture. Omar Sharif has a boyish charm that makes it hard to take him seriously as a villain. Julie Newmar and Lurch from the Addams Family play Native Americans in this boring two hour precursor to Indiana Jones.

The Anderson Tapes – Quincy Jones returns, and this time, he's torturing a computer. Sean Connery wants to rob an apartment complex, but things like security cameras exist now. this is Christopher Walken's film debut. this movie is fine, you can watch it or not. not every review is going to be good.

thank you for reading my long post. your kind words inspire me to watch more movies during these trying times, instead of playing Rimworld for 10 hours in a row every day.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

incredible laughs at your pawnbroker write-up. thanks once again. i'd like to watch rififi soon.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
im glad you liked it. rififi was cool, now i have to watch the Italian parody, and the parody that Jules Dassin himself directed.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i'd recommend Le Cercle Rouge, which has a long silent heist scene, which is all i know about rififi. they're probably the same movie

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Seth Rollins posted:

The Pawnbroker – Quincy Jones returns to bring a jazzy score to this film about a traumatized Holocaust survivor. you won't be able to resist tapping your foot and snapping your fingers as Sol Nazerman deals with the horror and guilt of surviving the concentration camp that his wife and children could not. you'll feel like getting up and dancing while you watch Sol isolate himself from forming meaningful relationships and insulate himself from his emotions. Soul Bossa Nova makes its film debut in The Pawnbroker, and would later go on to be used in Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, an equally depressing film. Rod Steiger should have won best actor for this movie, but he lost to fuckin Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou. i can't even believe that poo poo.

Kill the Umpire – kill everyone involved in the production of this film who hasn't already died.

Ahahaha

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Eat My Fuc posted:

I really need to check out Joe Pera I have no idea what it is but see it a lot in conversation with other shows I enjoy.

I highly recommend it. It's very relaxing and sweet and I have no idea what it's doing on Adult Swim

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Happily you chose legit one of the greatest episodes of the show ever made :hai:

It's the best episode

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Lmao I got fired over an email during a quarantine.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

My condolences, gently caress your former employer

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

gently caress that poo poo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seth Rollins posted:

Murder on the Orient Express – i know a lot of Hercule Poirots that post in this subforum. this movie has a great cast. Ingrid Bergman steals the show in an Oscar winning performance. recommended.

And for the love of God, do NOT watch the recent remake with Kenneth Branagh. It's astonishingly awful.

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Well at least now you definitively know you were working for scum. Best of luck finding new work, sorry buddy.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Watch The Anderson Tapes before Criterion takes it off at the end of the month

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I watched The Princess Bride again

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The Seth Rollins Movieposts are so good. Please make a letterboxd dad

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oh but seriously I posted:

I watched The Princess Bride again

:hellyeah::hf::hai:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

And for the love of God, do NOT watch the recent remake with Kenneth Branagh. It's astonishingly awful.

Well at least now you definitively know you were working for scum. Best of luck finding new work, sorry buddy.

Outside of a few needless action sequences I enjoyed it

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

You're all cool, so if you're in Minneapolis, stay safe out there. The cops are Acting A Fool.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

coconono posted:

You're all cool, so if you're in Minneapolis, stay safe out there. The cops are Acting A Fool.

I ain't leaving louisiana any time soon

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Big mess up there. ACAB. Heartbreaking to have another person murdered on video and no justice.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

did not like uncut mlems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO7gB5ATJr8

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

They overhauled everything about Yoshi at some point. I read a good article about it once, or maybe it was a video or a graph or something. Changed his design to look more bulbous and soft around the edges, made him look less like a dinosaur. It was a graph, I think.

I miss the sounds he would make in Yoshi's Island or SMW. Don't like the weird baby noises he makes now.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My wife giggles a lot while sleeping. I told her it made me happy that she's happy while dreaming.

She said maybe I'm just giggling because I'm happy you're next to me.

gently caress yall I love that woman.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It was a graph

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yoshi's island is where they rehauled yoshi. they just hosed it after that and stopped making anything good with yoshi. And made yoshi the thing you play before you're old enough to play kirby

i mean overhaul. i think. What the gently caress

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I've tried to like Yoshi's Island since release. It's a beautiful game but I hate taking care of baby mario if it was real i'd have abandoned him.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the real spooky question is why did they re-design him with all that human hands and stuff, but then fix it for the n64, and then act like that never happened after that.

horrific

decent, needs more polys

Cavauro posted:

horrific

don't sign post why are you talking about yourself. monitor

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i didn't mean this post

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Eat My Fuc posted:

I've tried to like Yoshi's Island since release. It's a beautiful game but I hate taking care of baby mario if it was real i'd have abandoned him.

Have you tried being good enough at the game so you never have to? :smugbert:

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

Have you tried being good enough at the game so you never have to? :smugbert:

Mario is hard as hell. Somehow as a child I completed all the secret levels named after slang terms in Mario World but I couldn't do it now at all without getting to angry.

I'm stoked about the rumored Mario 64 Remaster but I imagine it's a lot harder than I remember too.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I 100%ed Super Mario World on my SNES once.

Once.

save states 4 lyfe

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got some good news, I found out I'm eventually gonna get paid out the remainder of the contract I'm sitting on. It's good money. First day working under the modified conditions tomorrow.

I'm honestly nervous as hell because I haven't worked in so long.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I've gone back to older games before thinking hey I'm older and wiser now I'll kick this game's rear end and then I realised I don't have the reflexes of a teenager anymore and the muscle memory needed is long gone and got owned and went back to playing strategy mapgames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Seams posted:

I've gone back to older games before thinking hey I'm older and wiser now I'll kick this game's rear end and then I realised I don't have the reflexes of a teenager anymore and the muscle memory needed is long gone and got owned and went back to playing strategy mapgames.

same, DKC is impossible, fuckin mine carts