Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Feldegast42 posted:

Cops putting down a protest of a gross unjustice in America? Its Monday, we call that a slow news day.
Look, they fired the only four bad cops in their entire ranks, what more can be done???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Feldegast42 posted:

Cops putting down a protest of a gross unjustice in America? Its Monday, we call that a slow news day.

in a pandemic during an economic collapse could the police just agree to calm the gently caress down and go back to their systematic serial murder and oppression of minorities after it has passed.

someone's going to shoot a cop during the next one of these cop murdering minority situations and it's going to be a loving bloodbath

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

olylifter posted:

what in the everloving loving christ is happening anymore

it sounds like the cops have said gently caress it and are going full bug gently caress on the protesters and according to unicorn riot, this isnt from the mayor or anything. sounds like the pigs are pissed that their brothers got caught.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I dont seem to recall the cops teargassing any of the heavily armed lockdown protestors, I wonder why :thunk:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

All these Megyn Kelly types want to keep their access to murdering black men by police.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
hosed up

https://twitter.com/netrapsforever/status/1265427281297551360?s=19

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
The unarmed folks protesting police brutality and state-sanctioned murder are clearly more dangerous than the armed folks protesting sound public health policy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Faustian Bargain posted:

Look, they fired the only four bad cops in their entire ranks, what more can be done???

It was only four bad apples! Once we threw them out, the whole rest of the batch is fine!! Because that's how that metaphor works, right??

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

olylifter posted:

Police can riot all they please.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

paperwind posted:

The unarmed folks protesting police brutality and state-sanctioned murder are clearly more dangerous than the armed folks protesting sound public health policy.

Hey I might drown from that piss bottle, gotta protect my life.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this showed up in my mailbox today, is this poo poo super commonplace? what the gently caress.

it is just straight propaganda throughout.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

this showed up in my mailbox today, is this poo poo super commonplace? what the gently caress.

Epoch Times is straight conspiracy lunacy courtesy of the Falun Gong. They talk about aliens and chemtrails ffs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I figured as much, I didn't read any of it, it looks like someone just went around to mailboxes and put them in since it didn't even have an address on it, just some code. which is also weird and creepy in a different way.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Captain Invictus posted:

The Epoch Times is an anti-CCP conservative rag, they used to give them out free on the street corner. It’s just propaganda, yes.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I don't know if you remember Tony Spell, a preacher who got in trouble for holding church services at the beginning of the pandemic. Well, The Advocate wrote a really good article on him, and there's a few choice quotes in there that even had me going :aaa:.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_32164796-9558-11ea-9d7f-c77700fc92d3.html

quote:

Spell draws many congregants from low-income communities of color, and he says he turns no one away — even if they’re gay, something he inveighs against. But he also reserves contempt for church regulars who don’t share at least 10% of their income. Such a person is “a thief,” whether the person has a job or survives on food stamps. Spell warns attendees: “You’re not going to come up in here and suck up our air conditioning for free without paying for it.”

quote:

Spell said Life Tabernacle has also loaned money to hundreds of aspiring pastors.

“The borrower is serving to the lender, that’s biblical,” he said. “If I don’t make a profit, I’m a fool. What do I make a profit for? To in turn subsidize other people.”

quote:

Spell says he draws an annual salary of just $48,000 from the church, and he is its only employee. But, he also said however he spends the church’s money is between him and God, and that pastors should not apologize for driving luxury cars and owning private jets — though he has no plans to do either.

quote:

Gautreaux also noted that he and Tony Perkins — president of the powerful Family Research Council — met with Tony Spell on March 24 to ask him to stop holding in-person services. The sheriff’s prepared statement took a dig at Spell’s motivations.

“Pastor Spell refused and stated that if people were not in his church, he would not make money,” Hicks said.

There's a few more, but drat, that first one got me. When I was going to church regularly when I was young, every church that I ever visited had an attitude of "Come in as you are, we welcome you all". I know churches have bills to pay, but I've never seen it told by a preacher as “You’re not going to come up in here and suck up our air conditioning for free without paying for it."

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I wish Twitter would out the vote by mail fact check on his tweet complaining about the vote by mail fact check. If that happened I would howl with joy and then die of happiness.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

I don't know if you remember Tony Spell, a preacher who got in trouble for holding church services at the beginning of the pandemic. Well, The Advocate wrote a really good article on him, and there's a few choice quotes in there that even had me going :aaa:.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_32164796-9558-11ea-9d7f-c77700fc92d3.html

There's a few more, but drat, that first one got me. When I was going to church regularly when I was young, every church that I ever visited had an attitude of "Come in as you are, we welcome you all". I know churches have bills to pay, but I've never seen it told by a preacher as “You’re not going to come up in here and suck up our air conditioning for free without paying for it."

i like that even evil fucks like tony perkins dont want him to do in person poo poo because he knows they only have some many evangelical olds.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Stifling free speech by allowing him to keep breaking the rules, still get to keep his posts up, but tagging them as suspect information

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kale posted:

Stifling free speech by allowing him to keep breaking the rules, still get to keep his posts up, but tagging them as suspect information

surprised he hasnt tweeted again yet tonight.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Captain Invictus posted:

I figured as much, I didn't read any of it, it looks like someone just went around to mailboxes and put them in since it didn't even have an address on it, just some code. which is also weird and creepy in a different way.

You should report this to postal inspectors, it’s a federal crime and they take it seriously. Stuffing mailboxes might prevent people from getting important mail.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

olylifter posted:

Doesn't matter if there's an ongoing crisis or not, can't let the little people think they will be allowed to demand things like "accountability" or "nonlethal force" from police.

Personally I can't stop thinking about the fact that I pay for groceries with a check a couple times a month and if I get the wrong cashier that day I might never see my family again.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

paperwind posted:

Too bad the folks protesting police brutality and, like, 1000 other economic and social justice-adjacent issues unilaterally disarmed themselves decades ago, while the assholes who show their masculinity and rugged individualism by getting other people sick, have been spending all their expendable income on firearms during those same decades.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Jack will back down and remove the labels.

Yeah I'm expecting it because like I said earlier the guy always does the wrong thing and is a terrible CEO. It'll probably be "Oh it was mistakenly caught by our algorithm and the problem has been corrected, sorry for the misunderstanding", but done in that usual way where he over explains the gently caress out of whatever weird process was going through his head that doesn't make much sense anyway and makes you question who the gently caress even arrives to conclusions that way.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

olylifter posted:

Everything, all at once - or so it seems, anyway.

Here, have another! this piece my buddy linked me was equal parts "yeah, no poo poo" and "holy wtf lmao":
https://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-knew-algorithms-divided-users-execs-killed-fixes-report-2020-5?amp

There are many choice quotes contained therein, but I believe this one is my absolute favorite:

Business Insider posted:

Ultimately, many of the efforts weren't incorporated into Facebook's products, with managers telling employees in September 2018 that the company was pivoting "away from societal good to individual value," according to The Journal.

You just know that when your sentence starts with, "We are pivoting away from societal good," that the rest of the sentence is going to be a loving treat.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Too bad the folks protesting police brutality and, like, 1000 other economic and social justice-adjacent issues unilaterally disarmed themselves decades ago, while the assholes who show their masculinity and rugged individualism by getting other people sick, have been spending all their expendable income on firearms during those same decades.

Attributing police antipathy towards left wing protestors to said protestors' lack of arms seems a tad naive. I don't think it's obvious that brining a bunch of guns to your left wing protest would be de-escalatory.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

surprised he hasnt tweeted again yet tonight.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265466874583711758

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265277965383983104

he also retweeted this.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1265449554519961600

https://twitter.com/PMBreakingNews/status/1265451569719455747

https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1265461413520211968

Sorry for the Tweet dump, but I really can't emphasize just how bad the situation in Minneapolis is right now. This is absolutely horrific.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dammerung posted:

https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1265449554519961600

https://twitter.com/PMBreakingNews/status/1265451569719455747

https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1265461413520211968

Sorry for the Tweet dump, but I really can't emphasize just how bad the situation in Minneapolis is right now. This is absolutely horrific.

yeah. sounds like the cops are pissy that the fuckheads got sacked and now want revenge.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Faustian Bargain posted:

Twitter does the most tepid thing possible besides doing literally nothing and now you think they are going to go against big daddy?

Thing is, it doesn't matter. This response, tepid as it is, has crossed the Rubicon and Twitter can never go back. If there's one thing Trump's dementia-riddled mind never forgets it's vendetta, and Twitter will now forever be in his crosshairs. Expect F&F to 'call out' Twitter for 'restricting free speech,' followed by Trump instructing Barr (via tweet ofc) to open up an investigation of Twitter's 'violation of free speech' soon.

That may not lead to anything unless Barr tries real hard to manufacture something, but the poo poo show will be entertaining nonetheless.

This tiny, tiny push from Twitter is going to have an utterly hilariously disproportionate response. I can't wait.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

cochise posted:

Epoch Times is straight conspiracy lunacy courtesy of the Falun Gong. They talk about aliens and chemtrails ffs.

In addition these are the people by Shen Yun if you ever wondered what that was.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I get this on Yoot Oob constantly.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hey cool, the president is celebrating Americans losing their jobs again.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Tayter Swift posted:

Thing is, it doesn't matter. This response, tepid as it is, has crossed the Rubicon and Twitter can never go back. If there's one thing Trump's dementia-riddled mind never forgets it's vendetta, and Twitter will now forever be in his crosshairs. Expect F&F to 'call out' Twitter for 'restricting free speech,' followed by Trump instructing Barr (via tweet ofc) to open up an investigation of Twitter's 'violation of free speech' soon.

That may not lead to anything unless Barr tries real hard to manufacture something, but the poo poo show will be entertaining nonetheless.

This tiny, tiny push from Twitter is going to have an utterly hilariously disproportionate response. I can't wait.
Twitter will bend to the slightest amount of push back and will not put any more disclaimers on Trump tweets. Trump will claim victory and keep tweeting.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. sounds like the cops are pissy that the fuckheads got sacked and now want revenge.

Yep. This is all happening completely without any procedure, by the way. Nobody in the city government authorized this response. The cops showed up and started firing marker rounds and tear gas. No order to disperse, no warning, just drove up and opened fire like gangland enforcers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

i mean either way is funny but i dont think trump will do poo poo outside bitch, because thats all he does. if he wanted to he could totaly force an investigation into obama and such but he wont.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gulping Again posted:

Yep. This is all happening completely without any procedure, by the way. Nobody in the city government authorized this response. The cops showed up and started firing marker rounds and tear gas. No order to disperse, no warning, just drove up and opened fire like gangland enforcers.

thats what i said earlier. the mayor and the chief did the right thing for once.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265470573297238016

trumps not mad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey they're doing riots and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Gulping Again posted:

A gang of heavily-armed terrorists firing incendiary weapons at peaceful protesters should be reason enough to mobilize the National Guard.