Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I 100%'ed SMW for the first time since I was 11 last year, with the help of the generous rewind feature the switch has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

my wife and I have gone through almost all of DKC1 on the Super Fami classic, and we would not be so close to the end without save states.

I showed her one of the AGDQ runs through DCK1 as well and A. we realized we're this close to the end B. she's convinced that speed runners are wizards

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

put the kong on switch

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

coconono posted:

You're all cool, so if you're in Minneapolis, stay safe out there. The cops are Acting A Fool.

They started shooting tear gas into the crowds around the precinct about half an hour after I left, friend with a police scanner warned me they were coming. Cell signals were being jammed too shortly after apparently.

Minneapolis pigs are racist, reactionary fucks and have been a blight upon this city as long as I've been alive.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Cavauro posted:

put the kong on switch

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I posted about this a lot six or so months ago but if you can manage to [REDACTED] [REDACTED] [PARODY] [REDACTED] your NES/SNES Classics then you owe it to yourself to do it. I added every game I ever owned, rented, played at a friends house, looked longingly at in KB Toys, etc.. and had plenty of space to add dumb bad licensed games nobody likes and cool cyberpunk RPGs that sold <100 copies in the US.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

You should put Tiny Toons: Buster Busts Loose on that bad boy

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Speaking of old games, I tried out Castlevania: Rondo of Blood the other day after finishing Symphony of the Night for the first time. Koji Igarashi said he wanted to make SotN more accessible to less skilled players, and I definitely appreciate that because I am the least skilled player in existence and Rondo of Blood wrecks my poo poo pretty much from the start.

The first stage was easy enough, but the second one starts with a knight enemy who can throw a million axes basically at once and I'm too poo poo at pattern recognition to dodge or destroy them consistently (and even if I wasn't, Richter's controls are so rigid I'd probably get hit) and I died a couple of times. The level gets easier after that although the enemies are still pretty relentless, and eventually I got a game over when the werewolf boss landed on top of me when he jumped into the arena from the background. I figured that was enough of that. :v:

Basically, I like everything about old-school Castlevania except actually playing it. I kinda wish I could get gud, but I don't think it's happening because I don't have the reflexes or patience for this kind of game anymore.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 27, 2020

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nightshade NES

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Doc M posted:

Speaking of old games, I tried out Castlevania: Rondo of Blood the other day after finishing Symphony of the Night for the first time. Koji Igarashi said he wanted to make SotN more accessible to less skilled players, and I definitely appreciate that because I am the least skilled player in existence and Rondo of Blood wrecks my poo poo pretty much from the start.

The first stage was easy enough, but the second one starts with a knight enemy who can throw a million axes basically at once and I'm too poo poo at pattern recognition to dodge or destroy them consistently (and even if I wasn't, Richter's controls are so rigid I'd probably get hit) and I died a couple of times. The level gets easier after that although the enemies are still pretty relentless, and eventually I got a game over when the werewolf boss landed on top of me when he jumped into the arena from the background. I figured that was enough of that. :v:

Basically, I like everything about old-school Castlevania except actually playing it. I kinda wish I could get gud, but I don't think it's happening because I don't have the reflexes or patience for this kind of game anymore.

Yeah thats a tough one. Dracula X is a much harder version of it though, that one took save states to beat for sure.

Love em all regardless. Love me some Castlevania.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Even though I'm comically incompetent at the games themselves (except SotN, which is so easy I'm only mostly incompetent), I could listen to the music all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtLwWEHnvos

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

You should put Tiny Toons: Buster Busts Loose on that bad boy

Way ahead of you

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

buster scrugs loose

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Andey scrugs loose

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.free-smiley-faces.de jpg

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i be lookin like that

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

on the reg

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Guess who binged season 1 of Barry in a day?

Barry is so, so good.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Artelier posted:

Guess who binged season 1 of Barry in a day?

Barry is so, so good.

Hader drat well deserved his Emmy for that show.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

And finished. Two seasons in two days. Well worth the time. Best show I've seen in a looooooong time.

Kvantum posted:

Hader drat well deserved his Emmy for that show.
Oh wow! Well deserved, so many great moments. After finishing I went back and saw the Barry/Chris in the car scene again. Oof.

Also little taekwondo girl was amazing.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 27, 2020

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

coconono posted:

You're all cool, so if you're in Minneapolis, stay safe out there. The cops are Acting A Fool.

I am in Minneapolis. There were helicopters loving everywhere last night during the protest. Also the video is grotesque and sickening.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Artelier posted:

And finished. Two seasons in two days. Well worth the time. Best show I've seen in a looooooong time.

That show is so loving good, it caught me completely by surprise.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Artelier posted:

Also little taekwondo girl was amazing.

That might be one of my favorite episodes of television ever.

It originally aired after one of the shitpiles from the final season of Game of Thrones and the contrast in quality was very much appreciated.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Has any other show fallen off a cliff in terms of quality as quickly as Game of Thrones?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I didn't love GoT after Season 4 and didn't like it after Season 5 but would have felt weird to not see it through. But the dropoff from that point in the last couple of episodes is still very large!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Seams posted:

Has any other show fallen off a cliff in terms of quality as quickly as Game of Thrones?

No one I know has rewatched/binged Game of Thrones since the quarantine began. I've seen people watch the ninth season of Scrubs and the final few minutes of Dexter, but not one second of Game of Thrones.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CobiWann posted:

No one I know has rewatched/binged Game of Thrones since the quarantine began. I've seen people watch the ninth season of Scrubs and the final few minutes of Dexter, but not one second of Game of Thrones.

This is a true observation that I'd not even considered. People I know have been watching everything from The Sopranos to The Thick of It to Bosch, the not exactly great Amazon Prime detective show. Nobody has been watching GoT.

Glad everyone came to the realisation that I had during season 3. Show bad.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CobiWann posted:

it's still too soon, and still tastes too much like medicine.

although apparently The Ringer tried to make it a thing a couple weeks back, to no avail.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Seams posted:

watched two episodes, got bored went back to Kamen Rider

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if I was stuck on a spaceship for years and could only take a finite amount of media, it'd be the entire Games Workshop Black Library catalog(including the comics those so dope), all the star trek shows, some select comics and Batman The Animated Series.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hey nerds, virtual comic con this weekend with most/all of the Q&A sessions streamed for free.

https://galaxycon.com/live/

E: Just noticed that Danhausen is doing one as well

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 27, 2020

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Barry is fantastic except for that treehouse of horror rear end episode

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Game of Thrones is the best example I can point to when I tell someone that a bad ending can ruin the entire journey. You just need an ok ending to make watching the rest ok. But why should you invest in characters and a show if you know they will have an ending that actually ignores set ups earlier.

God drat I hate mystery boxes. I saw Rise of the Sky Walker in theaters back in December and I don't think a week goes by where I don't think about just how bad it is. Like so bad it makes me just not want to watch any of the movies again. Like it works to make all of the plots before it pointless.

"Somehow Palpatine has returned." is such a bad line!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
The remakes will fix it

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Shard posted:

Game of Thrones is the best example I can point to when I tell someone that a bad ending can ruin the entire journey. You just need an ok ending to make watching the rest ok. But why should you invest in characters and a show if you know they will have an ending that actually ignores set ups earlier.
Mass Effect is my example of choice for the exact same issues in gaming. As great as it is, the red/green/blue ending just ruined the entire trilogy for me. No, the one DLC does not salvage it for me.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Kvantum posted:

Mass Effect is my example of choice for the exact same issues in gaming. As great as it is, the red/green/blue ending just ruined the entire trilogy for me. No, the one DLC does not salvage it for me.

I've always fell on the other side of that argument. The original ending honestly didn't bug me because it just kinda ends but doesn't ruin all the stuff I enjoy from the other games. It's outright good with the epilogue.

Andromeda left me feeling nothing honestly. I didn't play Anthem because it held no interest to me - didn't even feel like a Bioware game. Their last game I enjoyed was Dragon Age Inquisition and it might be my overall favorite.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Shard posted:

This has been something I've said about TV shows and movies for a long time. I'd rather have an OK movie with a kickass ending (the first four Friday the 13th movies, they're "eh" until the rampage starts) than a kickass movie with an OK ending (John Wick, which I love but the final fight being a hand-to-hand showdown with an aging mob boss?)

Everything is supposed to lead UP to the ending.

Unless your The Raid or Fury Road, which are both dialed to 11 from the beginning.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I really liked Andromeda but I felt it woulda had better legs if it just hinted at Mass Effect rather than constantly reminding you of all the fun you had as FemShep.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I Before E posted:

Barry is fantastic except for that treehouse of horror rear end episode

We've fought endlessly about this already but the episode you're referring to is the one where they try to kill Ronnie and you could not be more wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TIL you can get sent to a halfway house for a joint in Arizona. What bullsht.