Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Beyond the terrible writing is simply the fact that after eight seasons you've exhausted every situation and permutation that arises from the initial premise.

So what you’re saying is we need a new character in the Simpsons household who will out-Bart Bart, I’ll start thinking of catchphrases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I think they should honestly have aged the characters or at least not given a gently caress (to an extent) and had episodes where they could be any age the writers wanted for the sake of plot. There's only so much you can do with a a 10, 8, and 1 year old plus middle aged parents. There's a whole lot you could do with high schoolers and early adults and beyond.

I could imagine the show could be pretty wild now if Homer and Marge effectively replaced Grandpa's role, except you see the events that got them there over time. Bart would be right around Homer's age at the beginning of the show now.

Anyway, I'm just spitballing. This won't ever happen and the quality of the writing wouldn't do any of this right.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

iamsosmrt posted:

I think they should honestly have aged the characters or at least not given a gently caress (to an extent) and had episodes where they could be any age the writers wanted for the sake of plot. There's only so much you can do with a a 10, 8, and 1 year old plus middle aged parents. There's a whole lot you could do with high schoolers and early adults and beyond.

I could imagine the show could be pretty wild now if Homer and Marge effectively replaced Grandpa's role, except you see the events that got them there over time. Bart would be right around Homer's age at the beginning of the show now.

Anyway, I'm just spitballing. This won't ever happen and the quality of the writing wouldn't do any of this right.

best i can offer you is post malone voicing himself in a three episode arc that ends in a concert

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
who is going to be the first current or former member of the trump administration to voice themselves on a future episode, ideally with a fawning lisa introduction

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Tree Goat posted:

who is going to be the first current or former member of the trump administration to voice themselves on a future episode, ideally with a fawning lisa introduction

His hair is a dog. Lol...?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tree Goat posted:

WOW, Kellyanne Conway!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Like many ppl I'm Disney+ing the series until it becomes unbearable and I can say the first time I majorly cringed, like, Oh God just make this joke stop make it stop was in Season 10 Episode 1 when Lisa is bummed about a school dance and Marge says "We can throw our own dance here!" and starts singing

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Tree Goat posted:

If it's not the Mooch I'll eat my hat!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Tree Goat posted:

Sean Spicer?

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

iamsosmrt posted:

I don't think a lot of the later Lisa stuff is entirely the writers broadening her precocious intellect. Bart does a fair bit of dating and harder-edged adolescent stuff that makes him read more like 13 or 14 in a lot of episodes.

PostNouveau posted:

WOW, Kellyanne Conway!
There was an episode last season where they found a place post-production to joke about how inspiring she is to prove women can be Joseph Goebbels.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Daikloktos posted:

I don't think a lot of the later Lisa stuff is entirely the writers broadening her precocious intellect. Bart does a fair bit of dating and harder-edged adolescent stuff that makes him read more like 13 or 14 in a lot of episodes.

Yeah, I think Bart and Lisa have been written as teenagers for a while now anyway even if they're still technically in elementary. Even from the start, pretty much all of their stories would have worked if they were like 14 and 16 or so, and every story about them having romances or jobs or what have you makes more sense for older kids. The only exceptions I can think of are plots where the kids need babysitting.

Basically writing the characters older wouldn't have helped because they pretty much have been already. At best they might have been able to turn Maggie into something novel.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just gonna drop this episode description here

quote:

At his farm, Cletus is milking his cow when he accidentally kicks over a lantern, prompting a series of Rube Goldberg-esque events that leads to a chicken starting a fire. Cletus's cow succeeds in extinguishing the fire, but Cletus drops his smoking pipe, leading to a wildfire around Springfield. The townspeople try to extinguish it, to no avail. At Springfield Elementary, Principal Skinner asks Groundskeeper Willie to get the fire extinguisher, but all of them have been stolen by Bart to propel his wagon. As Bart rockets around town, the foam released from the extinguishers puts out the wildfire. Bart is cheered as a hero by everyone and rewarded with a driver's license by Mayor Quimby.

Bart starts using Homer's car for his own pleasure, but is eventually tabbed for family errands, mostly chauffeuring Homer. After many inappropriate requests, Bart flees to North Haverbrook, where he meets a 15-year-old girl named Darcy, who believes Bart is much older. They begin a romantic relationship and Darcy soon proposes marriage. At the court house, Bart reveals his age, whereupon Darcy reveals that she is pregnant, much to Bart's depression. Darcy admits that Bart is not the father as they have not consummated the relationship - the real father is a Norwegian exchange student, and she wants to get married because her parents would be upset about her extramarital pregnancy. Bart agrees to marry Darcy, and they drive to Utah, where marriage restrictions are looser and they can start a new life together.

Eventually, Homer, Marge and Darcy's parents catch up with them to stop the wedding, where Darcy's father tries to reason with Bart as he believes that Bart took advantage of a girl much older than him and got her pregnant. Darcy confesses to her parents that Bart is not the father, and that she did not want her parents to be disappointed by her pregnancy. Darcy's mother, thrilled, confesses that she is pregnant too, and the family agrees to pass the two babies off as twins. Darcy and Bart end their relationship, while Bart assures her they will meet again, to which she agrees. Later, Bart admits to Homer that he looked forward to being a father, and Homer cheers him up by going with him on a ride around town at night.[1]

When Lisa struggles to find excitement and intrigue in her family heritage for a school presentation, she decides to take creative license. Inspired by Bart's "Indian butter trick" and the well-known kitchen curtains, with their stalks-of-corn pattern, Lisa claims to be Native American, from the "Hitachi" tribe, a name Lisa selects based on the Hitachi brand of the family's microwave oven. The embellishment turns into a web of lies when Lisa is chosen to represent the school and her "people" at City Hall, then as a keynote speaker for the National Native American Tribal Council. She eventually admits she lied about her heritage, but is spared from prosecution when the other speakers admit they are not true Native Americans. Homer compares his daughter to CBS News in a reference to the 2004 Killian documents controversy. As they leave, Homer mentions that his great-great-grandmother actually was a Native American, much to Lisa's chagrin.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
No way I was going to read all those words so I skipped to the second paragraph and I had to go back and read all those words

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

quote:

She eventually admits she lied about her heritage, but is spared from prosecution when the other speakers admit they are not true Native Americans. Homer compares his daughter to CBS News in a reference to the 2004 Killian documents controversy. As they leave, Homer mentions that his great-great-grandmother actually was a Native American, much to Lisa's chagrin.

Yikes

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

While a weird subject for a Simpsons episode, that's exactly what someone like Lisa would do

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

So uh yeah, that new episode would feel less icky if Bart wasn't 10. I mean, even if he was 14, it'd be pretty icky, but teen pregnancy is not an uncommon issue in America. 10 is on the far end of the spectrum.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a not uncommon thing in cartoons to write child characters as at least several years older in behaviour, but generally they manage to at least maintain suspension of belief with age-appropriate plots, most of the time. (unless it's funny) Mind you, that's usually more in specifically kid-focused cartoons, where kids generally don't want to be reminded of all the things they can't do and want to be considered older and more mature than they are.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Homer was like "heh, Simpson men get the job done amirite?" when he learns his 10yo son was molested.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just got to the episode where Bart and Homer become Catholic, and that’s an episode that reminds you Flanders used to be not bad but after his wife died became weirdly bigoted.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Maybe Springfield works like game of thrones and Bart has 10 name days but he was named when biologically he was 5

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No Other Options: The Writers Of ‘The Simpsons’ Have Announced That They Have Exhausted All Other Character Story Combinations And Must Resort To A Romantic Relationship Between Homer And Bart

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bobjr posted:

I just got to the episode where Bart and Homer become Catholic, and that’s an episode that reminds you Flanders used to be not bad but after his wife died became weirdly bigoted.

Kinda doesn't feel unlikely that Flanders got more and more fundamentalist in response to Maude dying, there's quite a few episodes that imply Maude balanced out his more doormat and fanatical behaviour similar to how Marge tries to reel Homer back from his worse excesses.

I found that episode interesting as a kid because I didn't know much about religion at that point, including the Protestant/Catholic divide (being in famously irreligious Australia) and it made the Simpsons a multi-faith family. (Lisa's almost entirely forgotten Buddhism aside) Also implies the Bouviers are a Huguenot family, being of apparent French descent but Protestant.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

iamsosmrt posted:

So uh yeah, that new episode would feel less icky if Bart wasn't 10. I mean, even if he was 14, it'd be pretty icky, but teen pregnancy is not an uncommon issue in America. 10 is on the far end of the spectrum.

iamsosmrt posted:

new episode

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Which years out of date flavor of the week was Darcy played by?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Which years out of date flavor of the week was Darcy played by?

Natalie Portman

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

So she was just reprising her star wars role then?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I found that episode interesting as a kid because I didn't know much about religion at that point, including the Protestant/Catholic divide (being in famously irreligious Australia) and it made the Simpsons a multi-faith family. (Lisa's almost entirely forgotten Buddhism aside) Also implies the Bouviers are a Huguenot family, being of apparent French descent but Protestant.

I feel like the Simpsons has always been very 'heartland' in that regard, not only is almost everyone white, they are also specifically Protestant, and this is apparently a thing that matters since people are still religious. It's almost quaint in how antiquated it is. Maybe a combination of writers taking inspiration from their own childhoods decades earlier, and the fact that it took many elements from the family sitcoms it was satirizing.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. Many Americans are still religious, and Protestantism is the largest denomination in the USA if you combine all the different churches. It got me thinking about how in other shows like South Park, it's a given that everyone except the Jewish family is Catholic for some reason, and the Griffins from Family Guy are Catholic as well (East Coast-based so that does make sense). Lois is from an old-money Protestant family, but then it turns out she's secretly Jewish or some dumb poo poo, I don't know the details since I didn't finish watching the episode, it being from when Family Guy had reached its nadir.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Like many ppl I'm Disney+ing the series until it becomes unbearable and I can say the first time I majorly cringed, like, Oh God just make this joke stop make it stop was in Season 10 Episode 1 when Lisa is bummed about a school dance and Marge says "We can throw our own dance here!" and starts singing

But that's supposed to be cringey?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Phlegmish posted:

I feel like the Simpsons has always been very 'heartland' in that regard, not only is almost everyone white, they are also specifically Protestant, and this is apparently a thing that matters since people are still religious. It's almost quaint in how antiquated it is. Maybe a combination of writers taking inspiration from their own childhoods decades earlier, and the fact that it took many elements from the family sitcoms it was satirizing.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. Many Americans are still religious, and Protestantism is the largest denomination in the USA if you combine all the different churches. It got me thinking about how in other shows like South Park, it's a given that everyone except the Jewish family is Catholic for some reason, and the Griffins from Family Guy are Catholic as well (East Coast-based so that does make sense). Lois is from an old-money Protestant family, but then it turns out she's secretly Jewish or some dumb poo poo, I don't know the details since I didn't finish watching the episode, it being from when Family Guy had reached its nadir.

That wasn't remotely fgs nadir

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phlegmish posted:

The Simpsons was a satire of TV sitcoms at the time. In 1988, just about everyone on TV was white and protestant. The difference is the Simpsons was actively turning that core value on it's head, it's why it was so controversial. Homer the Heretic was apparently very controversial among some circles because it revolved around Homer deciding to stay home from church.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm afraid to ask just how much worse it got

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

The Simpsons was a satire of TV sitcoms at the time. In 1988, just about everyone on TV was white and protestant. The difference is the Simpsons was actively turning that core value on it's head, it's why it was so controversial. Homer the Heretic was apparently very controversial among some circles because it revolved around Homer deciding to stay home from church.

It was controversial to the same people who weren't watching the show in the first place

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Milo and POTUS posted:

I agree, but what would you say is Family Guy's nadir? The worst episode I've personally seen, possibly of television as a whole, is HTTPete. Allen Gregory might come close though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

I agree, but what would you say is Family Guy's nadir? The worst episode I've personally seen, possibly of television as a whole, is HTTPete. Allen Gregory might come close though.

The one where Quagmire kills his sister's abusive boyfriend.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

The one where Quagmire kills his sister's abusive boyfriend.

While I see where you're coming from because I hated that episode too, there are later episodes that are SO much worse. Hate-watching is a hell of a thing.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I'm not going to say this was breaking point for me, but I remember a joke in an early 2000s Simpsons episode that goes something like this:

It's a flashback episode in the 70s. Homer, Lenny and Carl are at a quarry or something.

Lenny says, "Hey, have you heard about the Internet?"
"Oh yeah, what's that?"
Lenny points to his swim trunks, "It's an inner-netting that really feels comfortable!"

The real travesty is a few scenes later when something scary happens and Lenny says, "I think I just logged onto my internet!"

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

The real travesty is a few scenes later when something scary happens and Lenny says, "I think I just logged onto my internet!"

Those would both be like 99th percentile of current simpsons jokes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It might not be the lowest point of the Simpsons, but it was certainly the point when the Simpsons writers acknowledged that they were writing for boomers now

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Iron Crowned posted:

That's only broadly accurate. In the commentaries Groening talks about in the early days receiving fan mail from less-fundamentalist Christians who appreciated there was actually a family on TV that went to church and had their faith as an active part of their lives. For as major as church was in American life, you never saw that kind of thing in sitcoms and if you did it was just an excuse to put the Huxtables in their nice clothes for a scene as they're getting ready Sunday Morning as the plot plays out in a different direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
One joke that never registered as a joke to me until I was an adult, was in the one where Lisa is Bart's babysitter. When she wheels Bart into the doctor's office, she asks Smithers if she can go ahead of him in line. He thinks for a second and says something like "No, I would really rather have this taken care of." Didn't dawn on me until I was older that he was the only one in the non-wheelbarrow line who wasn't sitting down...