Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Bread and circuses, except it's fast food and shopping malls.

"Why aren't you cheering for me?"

[edit]
In AD150, the Great Pyramid of the Sun was created in Teotihuacan.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/StevenMcinerney/status/814603354827538433?s=20

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Adam Johnson's last cap was in 2012 though

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hansmollman/status/1265601589038981121

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Aphex- posted:

lmaooo

The last time I was in Cribbs Causeway it was to get laser eye surgery and let me tell you stumbling through hoards of saturday afternoon shoppers with blurry, freshly zapped vision is not a fun thing.

did you test its effectiveness by driving home

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Nandos is KFC for curtain-twitchers, prove me wrong.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

As if lockdown hasn't turned us into an entire nation of curtain twitchers at this point

Also, Nando's sells beer. QED

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/27/parents-free-to-relocate-to-seek-childcare-like-cummings-did-says-minister

I came to this article for the making it up as they go along

Parents free to relocate to seek childcare like Cummings did, says minister posted:

Everyone can drive across the country and relocate their households to seek childcare in the same way that Dominic Cummings did, a cabinet minister has said, but there will be no review of fines imposed on people who have done that before now.

Robert Jenrick, the communities secretary, said people could do the same as Cummings, even though his actions have provoked uproar, with up to 40 Conservative MPs calling for him to resign and surveys showing most of the public think he was wrong.

“If there are no other options, if you don’t have ready access to childcare, then you can do as Dominic Cummings chose to do,” he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

Jenrick said it was not possible for any fines already issued to people for driving to seek childcare to be reviewed, contrary to suggestions from Matt Hancock, the health secretary, on Tuesday.

“There isn’t going to be a formal review. It’s for the police to decide whether to impose fines under the law,” Jenrick said

stayed for the bit about no 10 turning into cummie's fuhrerbunker

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1265360464768315394?s=20

then was completely baffled by how they think they're going to "lockdown a housing estate" when they finally get their tracing system up and running

quote:

The government will continue to seek to draw a line under the controversy on Wednesday, with Hancock unveiling some more details of how a new track-and-trace system to bear down on local outbreaks will work. It is likely to involve very localised lockdowns of schools, hospitals, housing estates or parts of towns that see flare-ups.

Jenrick told LBC: “If we can get our track-, trace-and-test system set up across the country, if there is a flare-up in a particular community, or somewhere that’s even more micro than that like a school or workplace, [or] hospital, then we’ll be able to ask those people who’ve come into close contact with the individuals who’ve got the virus to stay at home, to self-isolate for a short period of time.”

it's a real rollercoaster ride of Tory arrogance and incompetence!

I feel sick and I want to get off

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
How long until we have Anti-Viral Behaviour Orders :hehe:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't that just a social behaviour order?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

XMNN posted:

then was completely baffled by how they think they're going to "lockdown a housing estate" when they finally get their tracing system up and running

I really don't get how local lockdowns will happen. If everyone had the app, you could message everyone around there maybe, but the app isn't going to have a good takeup rate realistically, and anything local would presumably miss people who live elsewhere but work in the area.

Short of putting a note through everyone's door or vans with loudspeakers (that would miss anyone out at work outside the area), I can't think of any easy way to tell people that a local area is locked down.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
one of my friends is living on an estate in Northampton at the moment where people are still apparently having big house parties (with bonus fighting) so I'm not sure how much more successful asking them all to stay inside is going to be when it's literally just them being singled out

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I really don't get how local lockdowns will happen. If everyone had the app, you could message everyone around there maybe, but the app isn't going to have a good takeup rate realistically, and anything local would presumably miss people who live elsewhere but work in the area.

Short of putting a note through everyone's door or vans with loudspeakers (that would miss anyone out at work outside the area), I can't think of any easy way to tell people that a local area is locked down.
maybe their plan is to just throw up barricades all around it like it's the middle ages or something?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

That's what the army's for.

Not for nice, middle-class neighbourhoods like mine, though. Just for more urban places, where those coloured people live

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It'd depend on what level of tracing they're capable of but yeah that will absolutely mean police checkpoints and patrols of neighbourhoods if they can get it narrowed down to postcode sizes.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Say what you will, I can't quite imagine the Army marching around Burgess Park and Camberwell.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

To a first approximation, the virus is spread by people working, or going to where people are working. ‘Lockdown’ is right wing framing; the effective measure is not arresting people for going outdoors, but furlough; paying people not to work. Most working people Do have an address known to their employer,. So a localized furlough seems like it might work.

No doubt the actual plan will; be something stupider

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't it more likely they will just maybe send people a text if they have the app and if they don't follow it because they need to go to work to live, welp, too bad, personal responsibility.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Yeah I can't see anything like police checkpoints for individual streets or estates. There isn't nearly the manpower for it. This is just a last-minute "tough measure" to deflect from Cumgate and I doubt there was ever any serious intention to enforce it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Bloodly posted:

Say what you will, I can't quite imagine the Army marching around Burgess Park and Camberwell.

For one thing the British army currently has about 10 people in it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Even if this were a genuine suggestion and not another Tory distraction, and it was feasible to enforce it, I don't even see what the point of such narrowly targeted lockdowns would be

by the time you've identified a cluster in a school or a large workplace or something those people have already been going home and potentially infecting their families and they've been going out and infecting their colleagues/school friends/teachers etc etc for probably at least a week even if we did have a world beating testing and tracing system

I mean in the Tory fantasy world the idea is probably to "minimise disruption" so "number go up" but in the real world it seems like would make more sense to do it to a whole local authority or a region that has growing case numbers, which is actually what I assumed they meant at first

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nandos is KFC for curtain-twitchers, prove me wrong.

Nando's is good if overpriced

KFC is one of the most overrated foodstuffs on the planet (along with pepperoni, sweet potato and hummus)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Bloodly posted:

They'll be wearing gasmasks and shouting "outbreak, outbreak, outbreak". Does that help the imagination?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

XMNN posted:

Even if this were a genuine suggestion and not another Tory distraction, and it was feasible to enforce it, I don't even see what the point of such narrowly targeted lockdowns would be

by the time you've identified a cluster in a school or a large workplace or something those people have already been going home and potentially infecting their families and they've been going out and infecting their colleagues/school friends/teachers etc etc for probably at least a week even if we did have a world beating testing and tracing system

I mean in the Tory fantasy world the idea is probably to "minimise disruption" so "number go up" but in the real world it seems like would make more sense to do it to a whole local authority or a region that has growing case numbers, which is actually what I assumed they meant at first

Nicola Sturgeon has mentioned localised lockdowns a few weeks back I think as part of their longer term strategy once things had re-opened, but I assumed she meant at city/town level.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

They'll be wearing gasmasks and shouting "outbreak, outbreak, outbreak". Does that help the imagination?

As much as the government loves CP I don't think they have the resources to equip them. They'd put up the oppression challenge and end up with one store bought bane mask resprayed in white, to share, and it would cost two hundred billion pounds.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

“Let them eat nandos”

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Julio Cruz posted:

KFC is one of the most overrated foodstuffs on the planet (along with pepperoni, sweet potato and hummus)

So much wrong here.

Nandos chicken was decent about a decade ago but it went way downhill. The sauce is still nice but the chicken itself is dry and bony.

Nandos does sweet potato and hummus dishes too so checkmate.

stev fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 27, 2020

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Julio Cruz posted:

UM EXCUSE ME

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

As much as I loving hate Brewdog, they’re very good at publicity.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Dom Cummies - a sweet, innocent angel who must be protected at all costs
My Own Family - worthless, under the bus with them
https://twitter.com/RobDelyn/status/1265397379429261313

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
gently caress I hate AAPI (As A Parent I) brain

My mum's going spare that she hasn't seen her first and only niece since March, my brother flat out refuses to let her come over. It's not even like he's being consistent about it either, since he's being going to work this whole time, and he's not doing it out of concern for my folks, it's specficially cause he's worried that his daughter (born just before christmas) will be put in danger by them visiting.

I know she's his kid and it's ultimately up to him and his wife, and I know my folks don't just have an automatic right to interact with their grandchild, but just spoke to Ma and she was in tears. Really want to speak to him but know that'll only make it worse, he's a stubborn and often irrational fucker who will only double down if I do.

It's like, if he's not going to let anyone interact with his child until this is over, then she's going to be two by the time any of us get to see her again. I've only met her twice, ever, but it's so much more important to Ma than it even is to me, and it's just so pointless and arggh

I know, lockdown and that, but my folks don't go out otherwise, they've not broken the rules, they'd be the only ones in any actual danger whatsoever, they aren't going to then go anywhere else either, and they're so upset that they're missing out on these first few months entirely

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

For one thing the British army currently has about 10 people in it.

Call up papers - national service

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

Nandos is average and varies by restaurant but either way is massively overpriced.

Buy any random piri piri spice mix from a non white person grocery, mix it with oil, yoghurt, extra garlic & ginger and some honey then slather that on boneless chicken thighs. Exactly how you'd do tandoori basically.

Throw them on the BBQ or do it under your grill if you don't have one, baste with the nandos sauce of your choice as you flip them 6-7 min per side depending on temp.

Eat. Possibly put on buns with fresh lettuce and tomato if you're fancy.

Entire pack of chicken thighs + spice mix costs less than one chicken burger at Nandos and you get 8.

For bonus points make your own spice mix & make your own hot sauce but that's not practical for most.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

My mum's going spare that she hasn't seen her first and only niece since March, my brother flat out refuses to let her come over. It's not even like he's being consistent about it either, since he's being going to work this whole time, and he's not doing it out of concern for my folks, it's specficially cause he's worried that his daughter (born just before christmas) will be put in danger by them visiting.

I know she's his kid and it's ultimately up to him and his wife, and I know my folks don't just have an automatic right to interact with their grandchild, but just spoke to Ma and she was in tears. Really want to speak to him but know that'll only make it worse, he's a stubborn and often irrational fucker who will only double down if I do.

It's like, if he's not going to let anyone interact with his child until this is over, then she's going to be two by the time any of us get to see her again. I've only met her twice, ever, but it's so much more important to Ma than it even is to me, and it's just so pointless and arggh

I know, lockdown and that, but my folks don't go out otherwise, they've not broken the rules, they'd be the only ones in any actual danger whatsoever, they aren't going to then go anywhere else either, and they're so upset that they're missing out on these first few months entirely

Not to be a dick but this is every family? I mean except the Cummingses. If he is going to stick with it for years that would be mad, but we're still in the middle of the lock down and he's following the rules as they currently are set.

My parents haven't seen their two year-old granddaughter in two months either.

peanut- fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 27, 2020

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Finally someone in this thread is standing up to that awful sweet potato

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

If it's your brother's kid, isn't it your mother's granddaughter? Is this some logic puzzle I'm failing (very possible)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

peanut- posted:

Not to be a dick but this is every family? I mean except the Cummingses. If he is going to stick with it for years that would be mad, but we're still in the middle of the lock down and he's following the rules as they currently are set.

My parents haven't seen their two year-old niece in two months either.

No, I know, but that's what I mean - I don't see him softening on it for the foreseeable

Failed Imagineer posted:

If it's your brother's kid, isn't it your mother's granddaughter? Is this some logic puzzle I'm failing (very possible)

Yeah sorry, her granddaughter, my niece

brainfart there

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Failed Imagineer posted:

Half-brother, maybe? I'm as lost as you

efb

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Barry Foster posted:

I saw something on FB a couple of days ago - a grandma wearing a 'suit' made of clear plastic fully covering arms, legs, body and a face shield so she could cuddle the grandkids. Don't know if that would be possible?
My niece is obsessive about keeping her 4 year old locked down and not seeing anyone - she's actually more worried about catching it herself and dying and 'who will look after the little one'. Apparently someone local - a single parent - died of covid and noone to look after the child.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

The Perfect Element posted:

I think we're also meant to hit 200,000 tests per day by 1st June as well... I think we're only just over the 100k mark so far. The fudging they'll have to do to hit the new target will be magnificent.

I think they "clarified" the 200k target was capacity, rather than people, almost as soon as the words were out of his mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I saw something on FB a couple of days ago - a grandma wearing a 'suit' made of clear plastic fully covering arms, legs, body and a face shield so she could cuddle the grandkids. Don't know if that would be possible?
My niece is obsessive about keeping her 4 year old locked down and not seeing anyone - she's actually more worried about catching it herself and dying and 'who will look after the little one'. Apparently someone local - a single parent - died of covid and noone to look after the child.

Nice idea but there's no way he'd go for that, lol

Sorry guys, I was just venting a bit, there's nothing that can actually be done right now, especially not on my part, I'm just in a tizz

gonna have a beer and try and chill