Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
On the upside, at least the only person you're hurting is yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Cartoon Man posted:

People that 100% rear end creed games are masochists.

:psyduck:

I wouldnt argue there. But to me, they are good slow burn games. You know, like the kind of games you play over a much longer priod of time where your main game(s) is something shorter. I never 100% them, but I love to live int he worlds and do quests and clear out camps. Especially in the last 2 games. I just bought Odyssey's season pass for $20 on UPLAY and am stoked to get back into it. Beat the story in about 50 hours earlier this year.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

On the upside, at least the only person you're hurting is yourself.

Maybe you should check the definition of masochism again.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Fart of Presto posted:

AC Origins and AC Odyssey

I have no self control when it comes to clearing icons on open world games :negative:

Both of those together don't get close to my 2019 Warframe depression binge so really, do what makes you happy, buddy.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I played AssCreed 2 and brotherhood back to back and got really burnt out on them years ago. So then there was a sale of all the ones in between then and now, so i bought those, except Origins. Then i bought Odyssey too (on sale). I decided to play Black Flag first, for whatever reason, and i got pretty sick of it after a few hours, it just seemed like basically the same game i remember. I'm thinking of just jumping to Odyssey, is it going to be enough of a progression forward?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I played AssCreed 2 and brotherhood back to back and got really burnt out on them years ago. So then there was a sale of all the ones in between then and now, so i bought those, except Origins. Then i bought Odyssey too (on sale). I decided to play Black Flag first, for whatever reason, and i got pretty sick of it after a few hours, it just seemed like basically the same game i remember. I'm thinking of just jumping to Odyssey, is it going to be enough of a progression forward?

since you already bought it, you should just play it

but yes and no. i don't actually think ubisoft's witcher-esque combat clones and randomize loot drops with item levels and +3% fart clouds and perk point level-up upgrades are actually a real progression forward. combat is still just mostly whatever fluff, most other games do it far better. exploration is mostly the same but just looks better. like yes, it's improved somewhat, but not as revolutionary or radically different that suddenly makes it good if you didn't like asscreeds before.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 27, 2020

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm playing through X Com 2: WOTC for the first time and I feel like I'm just getting constantly bombarded with poo poo. Like the day can't even end without someone adding in another quip or another event pops up or I need to go save a village that's been attacked or something, and I feel that it just takes foreeeever for me to actually just build a goddamn Power Station so that I can build a goddamn Comms Relay so that I can actually get some money to do stuff. I also find that the Chosen just add some extra tedium to the game instead of being interesting adversaries and the Lost maps are the worst, the absolute worst. What am I missing? Would Chimera Squad be better, since the little I played of it just felt more structured (also breaches are cooler than the kinda lame guerilla/stealth mechanics)?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

Ok, The Void Rains Upon Her Heart has an obnoxious circa-2010 indie music name and "non-sexual" nudity that exclusively depicts lonely young women, but the game is unbelievably good. It's close to a 10/10. The music is great, the enemy art is good, the bosses are all fun, and reading the steam discussion history the dev is excellent at evaluating player feedback.

I'm so glad more people are checking it out, I think it's like "The" Steam hidden gem right now and it's probably really underpriced at the $10 he's asking for it. There's so much content, there's a really thoughtful implementation of difficulty scaling, and I love how the unlocks are made to appeal to both the grind-loving lizard brain and also the inner achievement hunter who wants to pull off weird feats during fights.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I learned last week that the reason why so many side missions were put into the original AssCreed is because the CEO's kid thought it was boring, so they added them days before they started producing the retail version.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Should I be playing Control with headphones? I remember Hellblade was massively improved with them and with the psychic stuff (I literally just started the game) does it need the same treatment?

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm playing through X Com 2: WOTC for the first time ... What am I missing? Would Chimera Squad be better, since the little I played of it just felt more structured (also breaches are cooler than the kinda lame guerilla/stealth mechanics)?

XCOM: Chimera Squad is a much more focused experience and also doesn't bombard you on the strategic layer - you're going to get 20-30 hours of solid uninterrupted breach and clear action.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Should I be playing Control with headphones? I remember Hellblade was massively improved with them and with the psychic stuff (I literally just started the game) does it need the same treatment?

I don't remember any specific binaural audio stuff like Hellblade featured, but it's a game with a really cool world where (for me) the environments are the main appeal and good sound design, so it's definitely a good headphones game unless you have badass speakers that you can crank up.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The stream of consciousness / word salad ambiance is gonna be creepier with headphones on, but I don't think they're required or anything.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

goferchan posted:

I'm so glad more people are checking it out, I think it's like "The" Steam hidden gem right now and it's probably really underpriced at the $10 he's asking for it. There's so much content, there's a really thoughtful implementation of difficulty scaling, and I love how the unlocks are made to appeal to both the grind-loving lizard brain and also the inner achievement hunter who wants to pull off weird feats during fights.
I feel bad I only paid $10! The game does literally everything correctly based on a genre that imo is intrinsically fun. The sense the guy has for what makes a game fun is exceptional, like all three game modes are so good and the way their progression feeds into one another is amazing. And that's not even going into the actual design of the bosses which are universally great (even the ones I hate like Polyps and Totaria) and distinctive. I'm actually blown away at the number of responsible design decisions Angel made while still having the motivation to make the game actually fun and exciting and huge. It seems superhuman, even small things like the different Tetrid currencies have this excellent logic to it that gives the monsters and unlocks more character while not really making unlocks more annoying and none of this happens by accident.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 27, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Cities Skylines Humble Bundle worth getting? I figure I can't go wrong if I just drop in a buck for the base game right?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Artelier posted:

Cities Skylines Humble Bundle worth getting? I figure I can't go wrong if I just drop in a buck for the base game right?

Absolutely. Cities Skylines is a really great city builder. It's awesome right out of the box and there's tons of mod support in the workshop, too. None of the DLC is super important afaik - at least none of it that I have feels mandatory or significantly game changing.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Trains AND fish. In-loving-sanity. Valve is trying to kill middle aged men across the globe by draining their bank accounts during quarantine times.

https://store.steampowered.com/developer/dovetailgames/sale/dovetailgames

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I'm not even ready to get back into Cities: Skylines again, but I bought the bundle. There is something wrong with my brain.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Artelier posted:

It's worth noting that unlike the Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4 bundles, this one does not have all of the DLC. Most of what's left is radio stations, but there are a couple of "expansion" type DLC that aren't in here.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

cage-free egghead posted:

I learned last week that the reason why so many side missions were put into the original AssCreed is because the CEO's kid thought it was boring, so they added them days before they started producing the retail version.

Holy poo poo this is not remotely an exaggeration

quote:

According to Charles Randall, the lead AI developer for the game's combat systems, the game originally only was based around the main missions of assassinating the main targets and had no side quests. About five days before they were to have sent the final version for mass production, they were contacted by their CEO who said his son had played the game and found it "boring", and gave them a missive to add side quest. The team spent the next five days hastily rushing to add the collecting side quests to give it more depth and trying to make sure these were bug-free to make their mass production deadline. While a few noted bugs did fall through, they otherwise had met this target.[16]

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

content warning: watch_dogs

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=849144547

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Lord Lambeth posted:

Holy poo poo this is not remotely an exaggeration

While this is pretty crazy, I think it's worth pointing out, that he seems to be talking about the flag collecting/kill 60 templars who are just standing around. I don't think they could have added those "real" side missions in a week.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

It's worth noting that unlike the Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4 bundles, this one does not have all of the DLC. Most of what's left is radio stations, but there are a couple of "expansion" type DLC that aren't in here.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Absolutely. Cities Skylines is a really great city builder. It's awesome right out of the box and there's tons of mod support in the workshop, too. None of the DLC is super important afaik - at least none of it that I have feels mandatory or significantly game changing.

Thanks! I was stewing on whether I should BTA or max out but I think I'll just dip my toes in for a buck and see how I like it. Make pretty city woop woop

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Artelier posted:

:stare:

Holy moly the only DLCs that pack is missing is the newest one and the two I already own. I've been reluctant to play it again since I felt like I was missing out on all of the new stuff but that just brought me up to speed. Huh.

Artelier posted:

Thanks! I was stewing on whether I should BTA or max out but I think I'll just dip my toes in for a buck and see how I like it. Make pretty city woop woop

If you haven't bought it yet I could give you the extra base game key I just got.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

People that 100% rear end creed games are masochists.

:psyduck:
I played most of them on PS3/PS4 and was obsessed with trophies at the time. So:

My Revelations list is missing some of the multiplayer DLC trophies because nobody plays the DLC online. Still a platinum because DLC doesn't count for that.

Odyssey is missing entirely because I switched to PC when I bought that game. At last, no more need to do achievements and I can just play it for fun.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I'm actually kind of curious if there was some issue with the way the game worked on my pc or something. Like I said, I only read a handful of steam reviews and I think one professional review that mentioned bad controls. I had to turn the mouse sensitivity way, way down for it to be playable at all. Even with the frustrating controls, I still finished it because the atmosphere, setting and lead acting was so good, so there is that.

Ah, Observation worked fine with a controller for me. If you had to turn mouse sensitivity way down for the remote contol balls, then I can imagine the security cameras would then be frustratingly slow.

Pretty great experience that suffered from being an Epic exclusive as far as word of mouth went, I think.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Pigbuster posted:

If you haven't bought it yet I could give you the extra base game key I just got.

!!

If that offer is still valid you could pass it to me on Steam at https://steamcommunity.com/id/artelier/ No worries if it isn't anymore tho!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Superanos posted:

and I can just play it for fun.

I don't understand.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

poo poo, that is a really good Cities bundle.. I haven't played the game in years but I suppose a bunch of new content would help spice things up.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The Astroneer devs released an update yesterday that adds dedicated servers, but you have to pay for an ~official~ Nitrado one if you want to unlock achievements and cosmetics while playing. Host your own? No achievements/cosmetics for you.

https://astroneer.space/dedicatedserver/#faq "THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY ON A SERVER AND GAIN ACHIEVEMENT PROGRESS AND UNLOCK COSMETICS IS TO PLAY ON A SERVER RENTED THROUGH NITRADO."

What a loving joke.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I just stumbled upon the weirdest... ?botfarm? that I've seen on Steam. I really don't get the purpose of it.

A profile with "byteframe is" in the name left a nonsensical comment on my profile with tons of emojis and some random quotes from X-Files. So I do a little digging and find a certain group that looks weird.

Here is the member page. Just loving look at it. Pages of bots with identical names, they all have custom ids that begin with "byte" and all have the same username format along with generic random avatars. Never seen anything so transparent.

:wtf:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Whats the best use of audio logs in games that isn't the System Shock or Bioshock series?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Whats the best use of audio logs in games that isn't the System Shock or Bioshock series?

anatomy

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The Talos Principle

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I've never felt as :smith: in a game as I have in The Talos Principle when I figured out what was going on. The game world just feels so desolate and the audio logs instil a sense of crushing despair.

And it's a game from the Serious Sam people, which is doubly weird.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Det_no posted:

Trains AND fish. In-loving-sanity. Valve is trying to kill middle aged men across the globe by draining their bank accounts during quarantine times.

https://store.steampowered.com/developer/dovetailgames/sale/dovetailgames

Oh gently caress.

Now, I like fishing as minigames in other games. Far Cry, Terraria, the little bit I played of Stardew Valley, Okami, Red Dead Redemption...

I tend to like it in those games as: a way to relax/take in the scenery of the game, unlockables and extra cash.

But I've never played a fishing game. Is this worth looking into?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Antigravitas posted:

I've never felt as :smith: in a game as I have in The Talos Principle when I figured out what was going on. The game world just feels so desolate and the audio logs instil a sense of crushing despair.

And it's a game from the Serious Sam people, which is doubly weird.

Same here. The concept wasn't new to me when I played it, but I still found it to be an intensely depressing setting in a way that games with similar stories didn't even approach. Not entirely sure why.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Morter posted:

But I've never played a fishing game. Is this worth looking into?
I've been playing Ultimate Fishing Simulator lately and, uh, it's weirdly relaxing. I think I'm getting old.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Hwurmp posted:

The Talos Principle

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I really need to go back and play the talos principle DLC but I heard it’s harder than the base game and feel like I’ll be too dumb to do it now after having not played in years