Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Waltzing Along posted:

I haven't played it yet but if I understand, 8 on PS2 is like WW on GC. It still looks great today. But 8 on 3ds doesn't look as good or sound as good. Even if it has QoL upgrades. Most old games look like poo poo now, but DQ8 and WW both use the cel shading which holds up.
I think that they're talking about the mobile phone port of DQ8. I can't weigh in on it personally, I own the PS2 and 3DS versions of the game, but I skipped that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

an actual dog posted:

The 3DS versions of VII and VIII both have improvements, but VII's are the most transformative. It's still very long and weirdly paced but it's one of my favorites.
Yeah, 3DS 7 is night and day (but it's still a loving long-rear end game with some real hard parts for no reason and a slog in the middle) (but I still love it)

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Squiddycat posted:

I'm not sure when I should bounce off of the mobile ports, though.

I talk poo poo about mobile 1-3, but you might as well keep going on the platform. 4-6 are available there as well and I have no complaints about them compared to the DS versions. DQ4 and 5 mobile actually have things that are absent from DS.

That said, you will want a 3DS eventually for 7 and 8, so if they're not too expensive, you could play 4-8 that way. I don't know which 3DS models are backwards compatible, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

AFAIK all 3DS/2DS models are backwards compatible.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Dragon Quest 8 was good times.That was almost 15 years ago :stare:
Dragon Quest XI is probably my favourite PS4 game.
Currently playing through V which is, unsurprisingly, good times.

Was VII ever remastered / rereleased on anything that's not a 3DS?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I could’ve sworn they made a mobile port but either I was mistaken or it’s Japan only.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

I could’ve sworn they made a mobile port but either I was mistaken or it’s Japan only.

Yeah, looking into it it's Japan only. Apparently Nintendo payed for the DS localisation, hence no other ports outside Japan.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, 3DS 7 is night and day (but it's still a loving long-rear end game with some real hard parts for no reason and a slog in the middle) (but I still love it)

7 is somehow my favorite but it has a whole lot of weird pacing problems that are the result of the team going from the space available on SNES cartridges to CDs and going absolutely nuts on just filling it up with (dragon) QUESTS

Although from the general gimmick to the job system it's literally just Dragon Quest 6, But More

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DQ7 3DS works really well for playing a few hours a day, doing an island story. The localised version came out around the same time as Witcher 3 and it was funny how much they resembled each other in structure. One of these days I wanna stream myself playing the PS1 version of Dragon Warrior 7.

So did anyone else see the rumor of a DQ3 remake?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If they are remaking 3, I hope it's in the 9 engine. I really like 9, and I think its engine is a perfect fit for 3.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A new remake of 3 would be the perfect game to bring back the best feature of 9: every single piece of equipment changing the character's appearance.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shugojin posted:

7 is somehow my favorite but it has a whole lot of weird pacing problems that are the result of the team going from the space available on SNES cartridges to CDs and going absolutely nuts on just filling it up with (dragon) QUESTS

Although from the general gimmick to the job system it's literally just Dragon Quest 6, But More

I liked the job system in 6 and 7 but the job system in 7 was insane. I think that the fastest advanced job you could unlock, Godhand, still took something like 1200+ fights to unlock, and then summoner (or w/e the superstar+sage(?)) advanced job took 2000+? Then you had the monster jobs that were their own kind of insanity and included the heart grind.

And yet, the game was so goddamn long it wasn't uncommon to master Godhand on the MC and Gabo, then get the MC through some/all of the Hero job. DQ7 was the game that made kid me realize that as much as I liked RPGs like FF and DQ, I didn't actually want versions that took 100+ hours to complete instead of 2-3 games that took 100 hours combined.

Commander Keene posted:

If they are remaking 3, I hope it's in the 9 engine. I really like 9, and I think its engine is a perfect fit for 3.

The only reason to use 9's engine is if they're going to include 9's co-op system. And even that would assume that 9's engine ports to mobile/switch/whatever easily enough to be worth using instead of something else.

I'd be completely on board with a DQ3 remake if it includes 9's co-op system. Don't care for a 3D version of DQ3 enough to buy a chunky DS-looking version over high quality 2D sprites.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Evil Fluffy posted:

The only reason to use 9's engine is if they're going to include 9's co-op system. And even that would assume that 9's engine ports to mobile/switch/whatever easily enough to be worth using instead of something else.

I'd be completely on board with a DQ3 remake if it includes 9's co-op system. Don't care for a 3D version of DQ3 enough to buy a chunky DS-looking version over high quality 2D sprites.
OK, obviously I don't want them to just plop a romhack of DQ9 with DQ3's plot onto the Switch and call it a day; I meant something more like using DQ9's Vocation and skill mechanics as well as the character customization and the way all equipment has its own models to remake DQ3.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

A new remake of 3 would be the perfect game to bring back the best feature of 9: every single piece of equipment changing the character's appearance.

:yeah:

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Dang a DQ3 rumor? What about a DQ9 port to mobile/switch/anything?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
IX might be my second least favorite DQ after II (I’ve only played the original NES, so the it might be my least favorite if I played a remake of II). It just seems felt very forgettable compared to the rest of the games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

So did anyone else see the rumor of a DQ3 remake?

I'm just now coming across it too.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/1283443/Final-Fantasy-7-Remake-Part-2-release-date-good-bad-Square-Enix-news

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It mentions having games on Stadia so it must be bullshit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can tell it's fake because they don't even include the most softball delay of the Marvel game, not to mention how stupid it seems for a unannounced Tomb Raider sequel to be coming out before the Nier remake that already had a 2020 date

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I liked the job system in 6 and 7 but the job system in 7 was insane. I think that the fastest advanced job you could unlock, Godhand, still took something like 1200+ fights to unlock, and then summoner (or w/e the superstar+sage(?)) advanced job took 2000+? Then you had the monster jobs that were their own kind of insanity and included the heart grind.

And yet, the game was so goddamn long it wasn't uncommon to master Godhand on the MC and Gabo, then get the MC through some/all of the Hero job. DQ7 was the game that made kid me realize that as much as I liked RPGs like FF and DQ, I didn't actually want versions that took 100+ hours to complete instead of 2-3 games that took 100 hours combined.

GODHA- errr, Godhand, was uhh

Warrior/Fighter/Cleric/Mage
Dragoon/Paladin
Godhand

Right?

And then once you were done with Godhand you'd mastered the 3 minimum advanced jobs to get Hero unlocked.

:negative: why do I remember this without looking it up

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Shugojin posted:

Dragoon/Paladin
Godhand

Right?

And then once you were done with Godhand you'd mastered the 3 minimum advanced jobs to get Hero unlocked.

Yeah 7 was great. I loved it. Shame about the lack of quest log/shard map and the one place where you can lock yourself out of finishing the game because that's where I stopped. I want to go back and play it again someday but I will definitely play a version that's not the PS1 version.

edit: I remember right after I unlocked the job system I grinded near the job shrine so I could get the Shepherd job (I think that was the name) and then I stayed with that job for a really long time because at the time Stampede was my only attack that hit all enemies.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 20, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in the original 7 you kept all abilities once you'd learned them. so, you could have used stampede on anything.

in the remake, you only kept abilities from basic and monster jobs after you switched. the main purpose of this was probably limiting access to sword dance (which is now from an advanced job), which in the original was trivially easy to acquire and better than any other form of attack.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Can confirm SwordDance was busted as hell. Unlike DQ6, a new feature to the job system were hybrid skills that required levels in two (or more?) classes. SD was one of them: lv 4 Warrior and level 4 Dancer, iirc. Something like that. I used it almost exclusively all the way up through postgame. Gigaslash was generally better for groups and Thordain was better for target-all but sometimes you'd run into immunities which didn't affect SwordDance.

One problem about hybrid skills was you'd have no way of knowing much about them. I think one NPC at the shrine briefly acknowledges their existence, but unless you had a guide handy, there's no indication of what combinations give what skills. Hopefully the 3DS remake fixes that.

I imagine DQ3R-R will be in the XI engine. This will be the third time it's been remade. First on SFC, then shrunk down for GBC (with little compromise). I won't count Switch or Mobile because they appear to be ports of SFC.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 20, 2020

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I played the 3DS version of 7 and thin air basically carried me through the whole game.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I don’t like job systems where you can just pile on all the abilities without any constraints like in the original DQ7. I might have to try the remake sometime!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I did a monster-only job run of DQ7 and it was actually a lot of fun, would recommend.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ofecks posted:

Can confirm SwordDance was busted as hell. Unlike DQ6, a new feature to the job system were hybrid skills that required levels in two (or more?) classes. SD was one of them: lv 4 Warrior and level 4 Dancer, iirc. Something like that. I used it almost exclusively all the way up through postgame. Gigaslash was generally better for groups and Thordain was better for target-all but sometimes you'd run into immunities which didn't affect SwordDance.

One problem about hybrid skills was you'd have no way of knowing much about them. I think one NPC at the shrine briefly acknowledges their existence, but unless you had a guide handy, there's no indication of what combinations give what skills. Hopefully the 3DS remake fixes that.

I imagine DQ3R-R will be in the XI engine. This will be the third time it's been remade. First on SFC, then shrunk down for GBC (with little compromise). I won't count Switch or Mobile because they appear to be ports of SFC.

they removed hybrid skills entirely in the remake. you can actually get a permanent version of sword dance, but it requires going really deep into monster jobs. also, the only difficult parts of the game come before the job changing, so if you want you can hit the advanced job that has it and just stay in it for the rest of the game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ofecks posted:

hope they use the GBC trans that a goon wrote :kimchi:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Commander Keene posted:

OK, obviously I don't want them to just plop a romhack of DQ9 with DQ3's plot onto the Switch and call it a day; I meant something more like using DQ9's Vocation and skill mechanics as well as the character customization and the way all equipment has its own models to remake DQ3.

Makes sense, though I'd rather it keep 3's job system. While 9's had flexibility I'm honestly not a fan of the "now when you class change you keep X and not Y" system 9 used. Though it did have the upside of being able to take a handful of jobs to level 11-12 and then drop 100 skill points in to a single class's tree to get Gigaslash or whatever early in the game.

Shugojin posted:

Dragoon/Paladin
Godhand

Right?

Sounds right. I think their final ability was UltraHit or something like that. You didn't even really need Hero in DQ7 because a GodHand was such a powerhouse and you probably had a Sage for additional destruction/support.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Evil Fluffy posted:

Makes sense, though I'd rather it keep 3's job system. While 9's had flexibility I'm honestly not a fan of the "now when you class change you keep X and not Y" system 9 used. Though it did have the upside of being able to take a handful of jobs to level 11-12 and then drop 100 skill points in to a single class's tree to get Gigaslash or whatever early in the game.
IMO, 3's class system needs to be reworked. Melee classes get nothing besides "mash Attack", and that's the hallmark of a super boring combat system. DQ9's is an already developed class system that they could drop into a DQ3 remake (I've heard that DQ9 was originally either going to be a DQ3 remake or a testbed for one) with little effort, and IMO it's one of the best ones in the series, combining DQ8's skill system with a bit of the best of DQ3's and DQ7's class systems. I'm fine with losing spells when you change classes, because it gives you a reason to use some of the basic classes even late into the game (IIRC, Priest gets Omniheal while Sage doesn't, making it an essential class in the postgame legacy bosses), and I like building characters for roles, not necessarily having a team of omniclasses.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Sounds right. I think their final ability was UltraHit or something like that. You didn't even really need Hero in DQ7 because a GodHand was such a powerhouse and you probably had a Sage for additional destruction/support.

God hand's mastery bonus gave you a fairly hefty strength bonus which made it a good option to just keep on. Hero's small passive heal was nnnnot good enough to make up for the lower stat bonuses.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

My first time through DQ11 since I got a Switch Lite to help keep me sane during lockdown and I have three thoughts:

1) Sylvando is the best!

2) His Act 2 chapter is too short

3) We need a Soldiers of Smile gangtag

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Earlier on a stream they announced a bunch of Adventure of Dai games

console action rpg (no sugiyama music? 🙏)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EHPUHvftdA

mobile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrvhjp_glJ8

there's also an arcade game you'll never get to play. and here's what they showed of the new anime

https://twitter.com/gamenohanashi/status/1265604297200291840

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 27, 2020

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Infinity's Trash is a pretty funny name to have chosen. I'd rather play as the guy with the moustache anyway. Infinity 'Stache.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
trying to obtain all the money in south america is a bold move

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

lets hang out posted:

mobile

there's also an arcade game you'll never get to play. and here's what they showed of the new anime

Oh my god this better come out in the west, all of this

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Is Dragon Quest Heroes 2 worth :tenbux:?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, if you like musou at all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

lets hang out posted:

What is this Brand of the Hawk poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

lets hang out posted:

mobile

Gonna be really upset if/when Infinite Strash doesn't comes out in English. The mobile game looks... ok for gameplay and is probably the standard gacha hellscape.

I expect the anime to be on Crunchyroll or some other streaming service and cannot wait.