Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/bkoo/status/1265662175730905088?s=19

shockingly the documentary about a sport no one watches and a guy who is universally hated did not do as well as the one about the literal most famous person on the planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I love Ben but it'd have been a miracle for "Lance" to have gotten even a million viewers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Armstrong was at one point one of the most famous athletes in the country, and one of a handful which were "household names" among people with no interest in sports, I can see why they might have thought it would be a big one.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Pointing out that people don't care about cycling is kind of irrelevant since the US has always been willing to take one person from a niche sport and make them a superstar, just like Michael Phelps or Jackie Joyner Kersee.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Pointing out that people don't care about cycling is kind of irrelevant since the US has always been willing to take one person from a niche sport and make them a superstar, just like Michael Phelps or Jackie Joyner Kersee.

This happens every Olympics but basically only lasts for the length of the games themselves. Then they go by the wayside for 3 years before the next ones. Jordan was, without hyperbole, an absolute cultural icon and was constantly in the spotlight.

Lance had a big profile for a while but it was never anywhere near as big as MJ's and even if both of them are unrepentant dicks, at least MJ is an interesting unrepentant dick.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He wasn't as big as MJ but as far as name recognition and being a media figure, he was at least comparable, imo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Livestrong bracelets were the most ubiquitous accessory in the country during the 2000s. He was a huge deal beyond sports. Also the doc is very good so far.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Henchman of Santa posted:

Livestrong bracelets were the most ubiquitous accessory in the country during the 2000s. He was a huge deal beyond sports. Also the doc is very good so far.

This. He was more of a symbol of overcoming health problems through athletics than a pure athlete, in terms of public appeal. I mean, he was sponsored by the US Postal Service, that's not small potatoes. Livestrong is his actual legacy, for better or worse.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Being popular for a bit of time doesn’t really matter. MJ is still basically as popular as he was the same can not be said of characters like Lance who were more a passing fad

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Being popular for a bit of time doesn’t really matter. MJ is still basically as popular as he was the same can not be said of characters like Lance who were more a passing fad

Jordan absolutely is not as popular today as he was in the 90s.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bip Roberts posted:

Is the Crying Jordan meme not enough?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bip Roberts posted:

Nah he is, his name basically still has a reverence you don’t see often for better or worse. He is not popular in the same way but it hasn’t really slacked any like Lance or Tiger

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Bip Roberts posted:

He also hasn't embarrassed himself in public...amazingly. His publicist must be amazing.

I work near Nike, and the stories I hear from Nike people are hilarious. Apparently he's a lot of fun to be around, but he's also wildly unpredictable.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

He also hasn't embarrassed himself in public...

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

reverence is a funny thing to call laughing at michael jordan's thousand dollar baggy jeans

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jordan probably isn't as popular as he was in 98 but he's still easily one of the like five most famous athletes on earth. He is a literal billion dollar brand.

It's not just a matter of Lance being less famous now, he's also someone who people loathe and feel cheated by. I like the documentary so far but it's not surprising people aren't super excited to watch him the way they were excited to relive the glory days of a still almost universially beloved figure like Jordan.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i was pleasantly surprised by the doc too, i was ready to jump on it but it seemed really well-researched about the nature of the sport in the 90s

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Didn't help there wasn't a lot of build up for the Lance doc

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He also hasn't embarrassed himself in public...amazingly. His publicist must be amazing.

I work near Nike, and the stories I hear from Nike people are hilarious. Apparently he's a lot of fun to be around, but he's also wildly unpredictable.
I mean, Jordan at this point doesn't have to talk to anyone he doesn't want to talk to, or trust. That helps a lot.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

stories

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
He called all the employees at the Nike employee store loving midgets.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

This. He was more of a symbol of overcoming health problems through athletics than a pure athlete, in terms of public appeal. I mean, he was sponsored by the US Postal Service, that's not small potatoes. Livestrong is his actual legacy, for better or worse.

That's what doomed him though. He was a de facto employee of the US Government during his tour wins so when they got involved in the investigation, they weren't going to treat him lightly.

MourningView posted:

Jordan probably isn't as popular as he was in 98 but he's still easily one of the like five most famous athletes on earth. He is a literal billion dollar brand.

I'm almost certain most soccer and cricket superstars beat MJ in terms of popularity. At this point, he's probably better known for his shoe than his career in certain parts of the world.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone who is still mad that Lance cheated is an idiot. If you’re going to be mad, be mad at the godawful acts he committed to cover it up. But the cheating is useless to be mad about because there was not a soul capable of winning those tours who wasn’t also doped up.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Island Nation posted:

That's what doomed him though. He was a de facto employee of the US Government during his tour wins so when they got involved in the investigation, they weren't going to treat him lightly.

I'm almost certain most soccer and cricket superstars beat MJ in terms of popularity. At this point, he's probably better known for his shoe than his career in certain parts of the world.

Him being known for his global brand of shoes is still being known though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike Missanelli lost his drat mind again

hug your local radio producer

E: https://twitter.com/CrossingBroad/s...-next-week.html

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Island Nation posted:

also fundamentally he was a bully, and bullies get hangers-on and yes-men, but not loyalty. once he was out of power people were quick to toss him overboard

Miguel Indurain almost certainly doped and you won't find a single person to say anything bad about him because he was quiet, had lots of friends, and was well-liked among basically everyone

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Him being known for his global brand of shoes is still being known though.

Not really. Everyone knows Louis Vuitton the brand. Literally nobody knows who Louis Vuitton the man is (well, was). Most people over the age of like 30 probably know Michael Jordan the person. But his celebrity has waned after being essentially out of the spotlight for 15-20 years. There was a time when he was on every magazine cover, in TONS of commercials, had a hit movie, and basically you would have to TRY to avoid him. Young people nowadays wouldn’t really know him by his face, even if they know Jordan the brand.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

His face is literally the one thing the kids who never saw him play would know him for.

His face is literally one of the most used Memes on the internet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Anyone who is still mad that Lance cheated is an idiot. If you’re going to be mad, be mad at the godawful acts he committed to cover it up. But the cheating is useless to be mad about because there was not a soul capable of winning those tours who wasn’t also doped up.

I felt that way to some extent after watching the doc, but mostly I felt that we're all idiots to think he wasn't cheating when he came back from stage 4 cancer and won the year after guys were being thrown off the tour left and right. Well, not me, I was 7. But most people.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I felt that way to some extent after watching the doc, but mostly I felt that we're all idiots to think he wasn't cheating when he came back from stage 4 cancer and won the year after guys were being thrown off the tour left and right. Well, not me, I was 7. But most people.

I rewatched some of the reviews of his wins and lol he's suddenly the best time trialer and can outclimb Marco Pantani, I can't believe he didnt immediately get tossed for that alone

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Between that and the upcoming McGwire/Sosa doc it's the summer of "no poo poo that guy was on PEDs"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
eternally a fan of this article about the propensity of cycling fans to forgive some dopers but not others

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/04/commentary-a-partially-subjective-ranking-of-cyclings-dopers-loved-and-hated/

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Mahoning posted:

Not really. Everyone knows Louis Vuitton the brand. Literally nobody knows who Louis Vuitton the man is (well, was). Most people over the age of like 30 probably know Michael Jordan the person. But his celebrity has waned after being essentially out of the spotlight for 15-20 years. There was a time when he was on every magazine cover, in TONS of commercials, had a hit movie, and basically you would have to TRY to avoid him. Young people nowadays wouldn’t really know him by his face, even if they know Jordan the brand.

Louis Vuitton the man died in 1892 and the logo for the brand isn’t an outline of himself. I have friends with young kids now who learn about Jordan from YouTube videos and watch his stuff because they’re hoop head kids. They don’t know him intrinsically like 30+ year olds but you’re talking about him like he’s Henry Ford. He’s still alive and is constantly spoken about as a focal point to nba greatness. If you’re a 14 year old obsessed with the NBA you’ve watched Jordan mixtapes. You know who he is. He’s much more an extension of the brand than Louis Vuitton is to that brand. But also I kind of disagree at the base level. If kids know the brand they sort of at some base level are knowing Jordan.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

It wasn't even that no one thought about it, but that anyone who did bring it up was a bitter rear end in a top hat who loved cancer (or a jealous European, I guess). Which actually is kinda similar to the '98 home run chase where the guy who reported McGwire having andro (which was legal at the time) in his locker immediately had like every baseball columnist in the country writing angry columns about him trying to spoil this magical season. It wasn't until someone like Bonds who didn't kiss their rear end started doing it that it suddenly retroactively became tainted.

soggybagel posted:

Louis Vuitton the man died in 1892 and the logo for the brand isn’t an outline of himself. I have friends with young kids now who learn about Jordan from YouTube videos and watch his stuff because they’re hoop head kids. They don’t know him intrinsically like 30+ year olds but you’re talking about him like he’s Henry Ford. He’s still alive and is constantly spoken about as a focal point to nba greatness. If you’re a 14 year old obsessed with the NBA you’ve watched Jordan mixtapes. You know who he is. He’s much more an extension of the brand than Louis Vuitton is to that brand. But also I kind of disagree at the base level. If kids know the brand they sort of at some base level are knowing Jordan.

Yeah Jordan vs LeBron has been the focal point of NBA coverage for like 10+ years now he is not exactly an obscure figure

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 28, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/bkoo/status/1265662175730905088?s=19

shockingly the documentary about a sport no one watches and a guy who is universally hated did not do as well as the one about the literal most famous person on the planet

I'm more likely to eventually watch the Lance one but "weirdo evil bike man that raised a bunch of money for cancer" is not something I'm as well acquainted with as MJ.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NASCAR Cup Series got rained out last night so they'll try again today.

quote:

Baseball
Korean Baseball Organization
KT Wiz at Kiwoom Heroes — ESPN2, 5:25 a.m. (Friday)

Boxing
Gary Russell Jr. vs. Patrick Hyland (04/16/2016) — CBS Sports Network, 8 p.m.
Gary Russell Jr. vs. Chris Martin (12/20/2014) — CBS Sports Network, 9 p.m.
Jesus Cuellar vs. Abner Mares (12/11/2016) — CBS Sports Network, 10 p.m.
Jesus Cuellar vs. Jonathan Oquendo (12/05/2015) — CBS Sports Network, 11 p.m.
Jesus Cuellar vs. Ruben Tamayo (12/20/2014) — CBS Sports Network, midnight

College Baseball
2010 College World Series
Final, Game 2: South Carolina vs. UCLA (06/29/2010) — SEC Network, noon

2017 College World Series
Final, Game 2: Florida vs. LSU (06/27/2019) — SEC Network, 7 p.m.

College Football
2002 Rose Bowl
Miami (FL) vs. Nebraska (01/01/2002) — ESPNU, noon

2003 Fiesta Bowl
Miami (FL) vs. Ohio State (01/03/2003) — ESPN, 7 p,.m.

Ohio State at Purdue (11/09/2002) — ESPNU, 4 p.m.

College Football 150: The American Game: Bowls, Polls and Champions — ESPNU, 6 p.m.

College Golf
Women’s
2019 NCAA Women’s Golf Championships — Golf Channel, 2 p.m.

College Soccer
Men’s
North Carolina vs. Syracuse (10/12/2019) — ACC Network, 8 a.m. & 9 p.m.
Wake Forest vs. High Point (10/08/2019) — ACC Network, noon
Virginia vs. James Madison (10/15/2019) — ACC Network, 4 p.m.

Women’s
Boston College vs. North Carolina (10/17/2019) — ACC Network, 10 a.m.
North Carolina State vs. Virginia Tech (10/13/2019) — ACC Network, 2 p.m.
Florida State vs. Virginia (10/13/2019) — ACC Network, 6 p.m.

College Softball
2015 Women’s College World Series
Game 12: LSU vs. Michigan (05/31/2015) — ESPNU, 7 p.m.

Florida at LSU (03/26/2016) — ESPNU, 9 p.m.
Kentucky at Utah (05/22/2016) — ESPNU, 11 p.m.

eSports
Red Bull Homestretch
Race 3 — ESPN2, noon

NBA 2K League
Week 5 — ESPN2, 7 p.m.

Golf
PGA Tour
2005 St. Jude Classic
Final Round (05/29/2005) — CBS Sports Network, 10 a.m.

2001 Greater Greensboro Classic
Final Round (06/10/2001) — CBS Sports Network, 11 a.m.

European Tour
2019 Irish Open
2nd Round (07/05/2019) — Golf Channel, 6 a.m. (Friday)

Morning Drive — Golf Channel, 9 a.m.
Wonderful World of Golf: Frank Beard, Doug Sanders and Arnold Palmer — Golf Channel, 11 a.m.
Wonderful World of Golf: Jack Nicklaus vs. Gary Player — Golf Channel, noon
Golf Central — Golf Channel, 6 p.m.

Gymnastics
2019 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships
Men’s Individual All-Around Final (10/11/2019) — Olympic Channel, 8 p.m.

Horse Racing
America’s Day at the Races — FS2, 1 p.m.

Mixed Martial Arts
UFC Unleashed: Rising Stars of 2018 — ESPNews, 8 p.m.
UFC Unleashed: Rising Stars of 2019 — ESPNews, 9 p.m.

MLB
1988 World Series
Game 1: Oakland Athletics at Los Angeles Dodgers (10/15/1988) — MLB Network, 9 a.m. & 11 p.m.
Game 2: Oakland Athletics at Los Angeles Dodgers (10/16/1988) — MLB Network, 11 a.m.
Game 4: Los Angeles Dodgers at Oakland Athletics (10/19/1988) — MLB Network, 1 p.m.
Game 5: Los Angeles Dodgers at Oakland Athletics (10/20/1988) — MLB Network, 3 p.m.

MLB’s 20 Greatest Games: 1988 World Series, Game 1 — MLB Network, 5:30 p.m.
MLB Network Presents: Only in Hollywood — MLB Network, 7 p.m.
Walk-Off Stories: Improbably Gibson — MLB Network, 10 p.m.

NASCAR
NASCAR Cup Series
Alsco Uniforms 500, Charlotte Motor Speedway, Concord, NC
Race — FS1, 7 p.m. (postponed from 05/27)

NASCAR Race Hub — FS1, 6 p.m.

NBA
1995 NBA Finals
Game 4: Orlando Magic at Houston Rockets (06/14/1995) — NBA TV, 9 a.m.

1994 NBA Finals
Game 5: Houston Rockets at New York Knicks (06/17/1995) — NBA TV, 11 a.m.

2002 Western Conference Finals
Game 4: Sacramento Kings at Los Angeles Lakers (05/26/2002) — NBA TV, 1 p.m.

2016 Western Conference Finals
Game 6: Golden State Warriors at Oklahoma City Thunder (05/28/2016) — NBA TV, 6 p.m.
Game 7: Oklahoma City Thunder at Golden State Warriors (05/30/2016) — NBA TV, 9 p.m.

The Jump — ESPN, 3 p.m.
NBA GameTime — NBA TV, 8 p.m.

NFL
2019 AFC Divisional Playoff Game
Houston Texans at Kansas City Chiefs (01/12/2020) — NFL Network, 10 a.m.

Football Flex — NBCSN, 11 a.m.
NFL Now — NFL Network, 1 p.m.
NFL Live — ESPN, 2 p.m.
NFL’s Greatest Games: 2011 AFC Wild Card Game: Pittsburgh Steelers at Denver Broncos (01/08/2012) — NFL Network, 4 p.m.
NFL’s Greatest Games: 2014 NFC Championship Game: Green Bay Packers at Seattle Seahawks (01/18/2015) — NFL Network, 5:30 p.m.
Move the Sticks — NFL Network, 6 p.m.
NFL Total Access — NFL Network, 7 p.m.
John Riggins: A Football Life — NFL Network, 8 p.m.
Dexter Manley: A Football Life — NFL Network, 9 p.m.
Doug Williams: A Football Life — NFL Network, 10 p.m.

NHL
2002 Eastern Conference Final
Game 1: Toronto Maple Leafs at Carolina Hurricanes (05/16/2002) — NHL Network, 8 a.m.
Game 2: Toronto Maple Leafs at Carolina Hurricanes (05/19/2002) — NHL Network, 9:30 a.m.
Game 3: Carolina Hurricanes at Toronto Maple Leafs (05/21/2002) — NHL Network, 11:30 a.m.
Game 4: Carolina Hurricanes at Toronto Maple Leafs (05/23/2002) — NHL Network, 1:30 p.m.
Game 5: Toronto Maple Leafs at Carolina Hurricanes (05/25/2002) — NHL Network, 2:30 p.m.
Game 6: Carolina Hurricanes at Toronto Maple Leafs (05/28/2002) — NHL Network, 4 p.m.

2015 Western Conference Final
Game 5: Chicago Blackhawks at Anaheim Ducks (05/25/2015) — NBCSN, 5 p.m.

NHL Tonight — NHL Network, 6 p.m.
2012 Los Angeles Kings Stanley Cup Championship Video — NHL Network, 7 p.m.

Soccer
The Keys & Gray Show — beIN Sports, 7:30 p.m.
BundesGol — TUDN, 8 p.m.
Lํnea de Cuatro — TUDN, 9 p.m.

Sports News & Talk
Get Up — ESPN, 8 a.m.
30 for 30: The U — ESPNU, 8 a.m.
Golic & Wingo — ESPN2, 8:30 a.m.
The Dan Patrick Show — B/R Live/YouTube, 9 a.m.
The Dan Le Batard Show With Stugotz — ESPNews, 10 a.m.
30 for 30: The U: Part 2 — ESPNU, 10 a.m.
BYU Sports Nation — BYUtv, noon
The Jim Rome Show — CBS Sports Network, noon
SportsCenter — ESPN, noon
Lunch Talk Live — NBCSN, noon
The Rich Eisen Show — YouTube, noon
SportsCenter — ESPN, 1 p.m.
The Rich Eisen Show — NBCSN, 1 p.m.
Tiki & Tierney — CBS Sports Network, 3 p.m.
The Will Cain Show (The Final Days) — ESPNews, 3 p.m.
The Paul Finebaum Show — SEC Network, 3 p.m.
Jalen & Jacoby — ESPN, 4 p.m.
Highly Questionable — ESPN, 4:20 p.m.
Around the Horn — ESPN, 4:40 p.m.
SportsCenter — ESPN, 5 p.m.
Time to Schein — CBS Sports Network, 6 p.m.
SportsCenter — ESPN, 6 p.m.
The B1G Show — Big Ten Network, 6:30 p.m.
CBS Sports Connected — CBS Sports Network, 6:30 p.m.
Sports Burst — beIN Sports, 7 p.m.
CBS Sports Connected — CBS Sports Network, 7 p.m.
Packer and Durham: Weekly at Home — ACC Network, 8 p.m.
Sport Today — BBC World News, 8:45 p.m.
Sport Today — BBC World News, 9:45 p.m.
SportsCenter at Night With Scott Van Pelt — ESPN, 11 p.m.
TMZ Sports — FS1, midnight
Titulares y Mแs — Telemundo, midnight
Contacto Deportivo — Univision/TUDN, midnight
Boomer & Gio — CBS Sports Network, 6 a.m. (Friday)
Golic & Wingo — ESPNews, 6 a.m. (Friday)

Tennis
Tennis Channel Live — Tennis Channel, 8 p.m.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Watching the Lance doc. I’m 52 minutes in and it’s fine. You get some insight into who this guy was. I wish it was moving faster though.

Also something that sticks out about a lot of the 30 for 30/ESPN docs is they’re a bit like Marvel movies. A high basement but low ceiling. A lot of the docs adherence to a formula and this may be off/mean but a perfunctory adherence to the standard doc template hurts them.

All the docs they’ve done in the past decade, the ones that really transcend and are great do something interesting or are so much more focused. Hillsborough, OJ Made in America, June 17th 1994, and even The U which reveled in fun. A lot of the rest just can’t decide what they want to be. And lately the recent crop have just decided longer is better.

I think a perfect sports documentary is the HBO produced Broad Street Bullies. It tells the story of a team in an hour. Highs lows and humor. You go over that hour mark you better justify it. Hoop Dreams is 3 hours and literally tells the story of two boys becoming men over 4 and a half years. The breadth and scope of this undertaking is massive. They earn 3 hours. Some of these espn docs meander to a 1:45 run time and I’m like, cut this poo poo down to an hour.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 28, 2020

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

One of my favorite Sports docs that has more of a traditional format is the Bird/Magic one that HBO did. That one is loving amazing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Today's times are CENTRAL because awful announcing felt like it

quote:

Baseball
Korean Baseball Organization
KT Wiz at Kiwoom Heroes — ESPN, 2:55 a.m. (Saturday)

Bundesliga
Matchday 29
SC Freiburg vs. Bayer 04 Leverkusen — FS2, 1:30 p.m.

BundesGol — TUDN, 3 p.m.

College Baseball
2011 College World Series
Final, Game 2: Florida vs. South Carolina (06/28/2011) — SEC Network, 11 a.m.

College Basketball
Men’s
Duke at Wake Forest (02/02/2005) — ESPNU, 9 a.m.
Kentucky at Georgia (03/07/2013) — ESPNU, 3 p.m.

College Football
LSU at South Carolina (10/18/2008) — ESPNU, 6 a.m.
Notre Dame at Stanford (11/26/2011) — ESPNU, 1 p.m. & 11 p.m.
LSU at Auburn (09/24/2016) — SEC Network, 6 p.m.

English Premier League
Premier League Download: Inside the Mind of Marcus Rashford — NBCSN, 5 a.m. (Saturday)
Premier League Download: Inside the Mind of Frank Lampard — NBCSN, 5:30 a.m. (Saturday)

eSports
NBA2K League
Week 4 — ESPN2, 6 p.m.

Madden NFL Invitational 2.0 — FS1, 9 p.m.

ELEAGUE Super Punch — TBS, 11 p.m.

Golf
PGA Tour
2007 Buick Invitational
Final Round (01/28/2007) — CBS Sports Network, 9 a.m.

1992 Los Angeles Open
Final Round (03/01/1992) — CBS Sports Network, 10 a.m.

LPGA Tour
2020 LPGA at Boca Rio
Final Round (01/26/2020) — Golf Channel, 11 a.m.

European Tour
2019 Irish Open
3rd Round (07/06/2019) — Golf Channel, 5 a.m. (Saturday)

Morning Drive — Golf Channel, 8 a.m.
Wonderful World of Golf: Gene Sarazen vs. Henry Cotton — Golf Channel, 10 a.m.
2003 Golf Skills Challenge — Golf Channel, 1 p.m.
Golf Central — Golf Channel, 5 p.m.
2000 Golf Skills Challenge — Golf Channel, 6 p.m.

Gymnastics
2019 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships
Apparatus Finals: Day 1 (10/12/2019) — Olympic Channel, 7 p.m.

Horse Racing
America’s Day at the Races — FS2, 11:30 a.m.
Trackside Live! — NBCSN/TVG, 3 p.m.
America’s Day at the Races — FS2/Fox Sports Net, 3:30 p.m.

Mixed Martial Arts
UFC Live: Fight Night: Woodley vs. Burns — ESPN, 3 p.m.
UFC Unleashed: Gustafsson vs. Smith — ESPNews, 7 p.m.
UFC Unleashed: Pettis vs. Thompson — ESPNews, 8 p.m.

MLB
1996 American League Championship Series
Game 1: Baltimore Orioles at New York Yankees (10/09/1996) — MLB Network, 6 p.m.
Game 5: New York Yankees at Baltimore Orioles (10/13/1996) — MLB Network, 9 p.m.

New York Yankees at Seattle Mariners (05/30/1995) — MLB Network, 11 a.m.
New York Yankees at Cleveland Indians (04/02/1996) — MLB Network, 2 p.m.

World Series Film: 2009 — MLB Network, 8 a.m.
Baseball Seasons: 1995 — MLB Network, 10 a.m.
MLB Whiparound: Safe at Home — FS1, 5 p.m.
MLB Tonight — MLB Network, 5 p.m.

NBA
2002 NBA Finals
Game 3: Los Angeles Lakers at New Jersey Nets (06/09/2002) — NBA TV, 8 a.m.

2007 NBA Finals
Game 4: San Antonio Spurs at Cleveland Cavaliers (06/14/2007) — NBA TV, 10 a.m.

2016 Western Conference Finals
Game 7: Oklahoma City Thunder at Golden State Warriors (05/30/2016) — NBA TV, noon

1997 Western Conference Finals
Game 6: Utah Jazz at Houston Rockets (05/29/1997) — NBA TV, 5 p.m.

1990 Western Conference Finals
Game 6: Portland Trail Blazers at Phoenix Suns (05/31/1990) — NBA TV, 8 p.m.

Los Angeles Lakers at New York Knicks (02/10/2012) — NBA TV, 10 p.m.

The Jump — ESPN, 2 p.m.
NBA GameTime — NBA TV, 7 p.m.

NFL
2019 NFC Divisional Playoff Game
Seattle Seahawks at Green Bay Packers (01/12/2020) — NFL Network, 9 a.m.

1998 NFC Wild Card Game
Green Bay Packers at San Francisco 49ers (01/03/1999) — FS1, 6 p.m.

Football Flex — NBCSN, 10 a.m.
NFL Now — NFL Network, noon
NFL Live — ESPN, 1 p.m.
Fox Football Now — FS1, 3 p.m.
NFL’s Greatest Games: Super Bowl XLIX: New England Patriots vs. Seattle Seahawks (02/01/2015) — NFL Network, 3 p.m.
NFL’s Greatest Games: 2015 NFC Divisional Playoff: Green Bay Packers at Arizona Cardinals (01/16/2016) — NFL Network, 4:30 p.m.
Around the NFL — NFL Network, 5 p.m.
Fox Football Now: Q&A — FS1, 5:30 p.m.
NFL Total Access — NFL Network, 6 p.m.
Move the Sticks — NFL Network, 7 p.m.

Soccer
Fox Indoor Soccer — FS1, 4:30 p.m.
The Keys & Gray Show — beIN Sports, 7:30 p.m.
Lํnea de Cuatro — TUDN, 7 p.m.
UEFA Europa League Magazine — TUDN, 10 p.m.
UEFA Champions League Magazine — TUDN, 10:30 p.m.

Sports News & Talk
Get Up — ESPN, 7 a.m.
Golic & Wingo — ESPN2, 7:30 a.m.
The Dan Patrick Show — B/R Live/YouTube, 8 a.m.
The Dan Le Batard Show With Stugotz — ESPNews, 9 a.m.
BYU Sports Nation — BYUtv, 11 a.m.
The Jim Rome Show — CBS Sports Network, 11 a.m.
SportsCenter — ESPN, 11 a.m.
Lunch Talk Live — NBCSN, 11 a.m.
The Rich Eisen Show — YouTube, 11 a.m.
SportsCenter — ESPN, noon
The Rich Eisen Show — NBCSN, noon
Best of Packer and Durham — ACC Network, 1 p.m.
Tiki & Tierney — CBS Sports Network, 2 p.m.
The Will Cain Show (The Final Days) — ESPNews, 2 p.m.
The Paul Finebaum Show — SEC Network, 2 p.m.
The B1G Show — Big Ten Network, 3 p.m.
SportsCenter — ESPN, 4 p.m.
Time to Schein — CBS Sports Network, 5 p.m.
SportsCenter — ESPN, 5 p.m.
Sports Burst — beIN Sports, 6 p.m.
E:60: Imperfect: The Roy Halladay Story — ESPN, 6 p.m.
The Best of This Is SportsCenter: 25 Years and Counting — ESPN, 9 p.m.
Contacto Deportivo — TUDN, 9 p.m.
SportsCenter at Night With Scott Van Pelt — ESPN, 10 p.m.
TMZ Sports — FS1, 11 p.m.
Titulares y Mแs — Telemundo, 11 p.m.
Contacto Deportivo — Univision/TUDN, 11 p.m.

Tennis
Tennis Channel Live — Tennis Channel, 7 p.m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Watching the Lance doc. I’m 52 minutes in and it’s fine. You get some insight into who this guy was. I wish it was moving faster though.

Also something that sticks out about a lot of the 30 for 30/ESPN docs is they’re a bit like Marvel movies. A high basement but low ceiling. A lot of the docs adherence to a formula and this may be off/mean but a perfunctory adherence to the standard doc template hurts them.

All the docs they’ve done in the past decade, the ones that really transcend and are great do something interesting or are so much more focused. Hillsborough, OJ Made in America, June 17th 1994, and even The U which reveled in fun. A lot of the rest just can’t decide what they want to be. And lately the recent crop have just decided longer is better.

I think a perfect sports documentary is the HBO produced Broad Street Bullies. It tells the story of a team in an hour. Highs lows and humor. You go over that hour mark you better justify it. Hoop Dreams is 3 hours and literally tells the story of two boys becoming men over 4 and a half years. The breadth and scope of this undertaking is massive. They earn 3 hours. Some of these espn docs meander to a 1:45 run time and I’m like, cut this poo poo down to an hour.

I think specifically it's a "we've decided on a formula" issue. the original 30 for 30 series was so diverse, with filmmakers bringing stuff in that they really wanted to do, and some of the stories were so small as well (like the Baltimore Colts band) that it was easy to get wrapped up in them. The quality was real high. And it went from being a series to a style and format, and that's why some of the later ones have been like you said, high floor, low ceiling.

also shout out to Pony Excess from the original run too