Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I don’t know what kinda trees these are but I’m in a lake house for the weekend and this overlook of the Shenandoah Valley was on the way and it was gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
My dream at this point is to do a divorce for a rich executive and they hire me for their business and I go get an MBA and jump ship somewhere else.

Sega See D
Nov 18, 2006

kill the oppressors
I made a really big mistake a few years ago and now I’m studying for the bar exam.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

guy must have blarsgh on ignore

“Mostly” - all in the details, as I’ve observed, been reminded repeatedly.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Post Oak

Blackjack Oak

Wahoo/Winged Elm

Why it's called Winged Elm

Pecan

Redbud

Hackberry

Hackberry bark

Black Walnut

Eastern Red Cedar

Sometimes removing trees can be nice too

joat mon fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 25, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the hertz bankruptcy first day hearing is happening today

video is happening on zoom, but audio is not, it's on courtcall

about five people did not get the memo on that, and somehow keep hijacking the screen to draw "PLEASE TURN ON AUDIO" and cannot hear the judge telling them to knock it off and register for courtcall

the judge (or someone else) appears to, about fifteen minutes of this repeatedly happening, have found the "shut off this person's ability to share screen" button

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

there was also a very senior partner at a very big firm profusely apologizing because they fled new york and forgot to bring a suit, so they are appearing on video in court in a multi-billion dollar bankruptcy looking like an old jersey shore goon with just a collared shirt, no tie, no suit (because they don't have either)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol I’m about to do a zoom conference with a judge and debating wearing pants

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol I’m about to do a zoom conference with a judge and debating wearing pants

Wear pants, but have them around your ankles and flush the potty.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I know for 100% fact that a local assistant DA the other day did a criminal trial wearing no pants.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

blarzgh posted:

I know for 100% fact that a local assistant DA the other day did a criminal trial wearing no pants.

....because she wore a skirt!

In 2019, that would have been even less funny.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

Wear pants, but have them around your ankles and flush the potty.

IIRC, some brave investigative journalist figured out that it was Justice Breyer that took a dump during oral arguments recently.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

sullat posted:

IIRC, some brave investigative journalist figured out that it was Justice Breyer that took a dump during oral arguments recently.

Pretty sure it was Ashley Feinberg and she broke down all of the audio stuff to figure out he left his mic on and had lunch during his questioning.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

sullat posted:

The proper response to most appellate arguments.

"Counsel, what is your response to brrrrrappp?"

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pretty sure it was Ashley Feinberg and she broke down all of the audio stuff to figure out he left his mic on and had lunch during his questioning.

And they say journalism is dead.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to everyone who gave me advice as to handling getting fired last week. I've already gotten a new job at a fancier firm making more money, so at least one covid-19 job loss story didn't have a sad ending.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
This whole COVID mess has made it clear that I don't actually want to practice law (at least insurance defense).

As I pay off more and more of my student debt, I'm noticing that i'm growing exponentially less motivated by money. My family has been really good about not having "life style creep" and I don't buy anything other than random electronics or games to play on those electronics. In about a year and a half, most of the debt will be gone and I'll be able to take a job that pays much less.

What the hell can non-practicing lawyers do for a living? I'm considering going back to school to be a computer toucher but I've heard the work/life balance is just as hosed as law. Any ideas for an exit plan?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nonexistence posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to everyone who gave me advice as to handling getting fired last week. I've already gotten a new job at a fancier firm making more money, so at least one covid-19 job loss story didn't have a sad ending.

Love this trajectory, congrats.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Roger_Mudd posted:

This whole COVID mess has made it clear that I don't actually want to practice law (at least insurance defense).

As I pay off more and more of my student debt, I'm noticing that i'm growing exponentially less motivated by money. My family has been really good about not having "life style creep" and I don't buy anything other than random electronics or games to play on those electronics. In about a year and a half, most of the debt will be gone and I'll be able to take a job that pays much less.

What the hell can non-practicing lawyers do for a living? I'm considering going back to school to be a computer toucher but I've heard the work/life balance is just as hosed as law. Any ideas for an exit plan?

what is it you did, exactly, because the type of law really depends on how much you can move to a different sector

insurance defense, you may be pretty loving pigenholed as litigators don't have a lot of transferable skills to not-law

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
My first class is in an hour. Can't wait to tell the professor why that dumbass English kid deserved to get eaten up by the sailors.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Flip Yr Wig posted:

My first class is in an hour. Can't wait to tell the professor why that dumbass English kid deserved to get eaten up by the sailors.

Gonna be tough to hook up with a study partner under these conditions. Gonna be praying that you are able to pull it out and make us all proud.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Grip it and rip it posted:

Gonna be tough to hook up with a study partner under these conditions. Gonna be praying that you are able to pull it out and make us all proud.

Well, I hosed up already and enrolled in law school, so hopefully I can redeem myself.

My first thought about a study group is using Roll20 so we can review fact patterns with orcs.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Well, I hosed up already and enrolled in law school, so hopefully I can redeem myself.

My first thought about a study group is using Roll20 so we can review fact patterns with orcs.

I am a free wizard of the land.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

evilweasel posted:

what is it you did, exactly, because the type of law really depends on how much you can move to a different sector

insurance defense, you may be pretty loving pigenholed as litigators don't have a lot of transferable skills to not-law
My workplace loves to have JDs in their compliance department. Reviewing contracts, assessing risk, ect.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

I'd do data science and learn to program python for health insurance companies to determine who to kill.

Maybe we'll open a Jewtalian deli together.

The scuttlebutt is that in 2022, there's going to be a republican lashback in Dallas County and a lot of ex-judges are gonna run as republican. Maybe get in on that.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 28, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

secular woods sex posted:

My workplace loves to have JDs in their compliance department. Reviewing contracts, assessing risk, ect.

most of the time corporations want to hire corporate lawyers for that stuff, not litigators

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I really thought I wanted to to get Socraticed. Then the student he called on knew the names of the attorneys in the case and everything, and I was brought back to Earth.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I really thought I wanted to to get Socraticed. Then the student he called on knew the names of the attorneys in the case and everything, and I was brought back to Earth.

I speak for everyone here, gently caress that kid

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, seriously.

1) Whats the problem?
2) What's fair?
3) Why?

Everything else is designed to draw money out of you.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Pook Good Mook posted:

I speak for everyone here, gently caress that kid

Everyone in law school (including most professors) is just cargo culting what they think a lawyer sounds like.

In the real world, I had a temporary orders hearing recently where OC introduced a text message between two non-parties, neither of which were even present:

Me: Objection, hearsay.
Opposing counsel: Judge, this is a family law hearing.
Me: Uh, that's not an exception to hearsay. The rules of evidence still apply. No one is even here to say the messages are accurate!
Court: True, but I'll allow it in anyways and give the evidence its due weight.

Law school should teach you how to draft an airtight retainer agreement and account for your time in 0.1 hour increments. Everything else is just window dressing.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

GamingHyena posted:

In the real world, I had a temporary orders hearing recently where OC introduced a text message between two non-parties, neither of which were even present:

Me: Uh, that's not an exception to hearsay. The rules of evidence still apply. No one is even here to say the messages are accurate!

No joke, family law judges will do this when they're about to gently caress over one side. Completely ignoring objections and actual law and predicate when they've made up their mind and ruling everything in favor of one side, then just completely ratfucking them on a ruling.

I once objected to literally everything oc put on as evidence in a county I didn't know the judge in. He didn't respond to discovery.

I let him have one picture of a diaper rashed butthole because "If you want to show the judge a 2 year old's diaper rash, go ahead."

Oc didn't get to put on any witnesses besides his client.

And then the judge ratfucked my client.

And then smiled at me and said "if you don't like it, appeal it."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I had an 80 year old, district court judge once look me dead in the eye and ask, "now son, what are 'special exceptions'?"

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

blarzgh posted:

I had an 80 year old, district court judge once look me dead in the eye and ask, "now son, what are 'special exceptions'?"

I'm a 34 year old short, neurotic Jewish lawyer. I'm real far from the cowboy lawyer.

And when judges do that poo poo to me, I get real folksy and southern.

"Judge, if we knew what the heck he was asking for, we'd give it to him."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I can lean into "cowboy lawyer" pretty hard when I need to.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I didn't realize you had a pet name for Phil

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

GamingHyena posted:

Everyone in law school (including most professors) is just cargo culting what they think a lawyer sounds like.

Law school should teach you how to draft an airtight retainer agreement and account for your time in 0.1 hour increments. Everything else is just window dressing.

When I explained how the family law hearings usually go to non family law attorneys they wonder how the gently caress we even function.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Some extremely compelling photos in the last round (that I'm now calling "green", since some of the trees had four legs). Next prompt: old. This building is near my house, and I think now operates as essentially a homeless shelter. 1852 isn't old in the scheme of things (including Australian history, which is about 50,000 years, give or take), but Victoria was settled in 1834, so by Anglo Australian standards, it's up there.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Whitlam posted:

Some extremely compelling photos in the last round (that I'm now calling "green", since some of the trees had four legs). Next prompt: old. This building is near my house, and I think now operates as essentially a homeless shelter. 1852 isn't old in the scheme of things (including Australian history, which is about 50,000 years, give or take), but Victoria was settled in 1834, so by Anglo Australian standards, it's up there.

Wait, the photo contest is still on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Wait, the photo contest is still on?

I'm making it still on.