Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Whats the best use of audio logs in games that isn't the System Shock or Bioshock series?

Control because they're well-written but not actual audio logs so I don't have to listen to some jackass for three minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Is there a dedicated Control thread? I got a decent way through before a side quest boss made me quit in frustration.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

8one6 posted:

Is there a dedicated Control thread? I got a decent way through before a side quest boss made me quit in frustration.

The sidequest bosses in that game are way harder than anything in the critical path, I nearly quit in frustration at one of them (esseJ) too. Instead I just realized that I was never going to finish that sidequest and abandoned it and got on with the rest of the game, which I think was the right choice, because that game rules.

Regarding the question of audio logs, I liked Horizon Zero Dawn's a lot. The farewell tour was really something else, I usually skip collectibles in video games but I made that one my top priority.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

i have "hunter vision" irl

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The ability to detect if someone is named hunter just by looking at them seems like a niche power

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

probably comes up more often in like alabama, mississippi, and arkansas

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I liked Prey's audio logs, they did a good job of world building and making it feel like a real community of people with their own stuff going on - all these little personal stories that gave it a lot of heart and made stuff a bit more poignant if you found out what happened to them

plus they did the ol' System Shock switcheroo - not as effectively but it's still cool to have that hol' up a minute realisation that someone sounds different...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
What was the general opinion on The Crew 2 again? I could go for some silly arcade racing though I remember it dropped the ball in some aspects?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

speaking of audio logs and also assassin's creed origins the ancient devices that ramble on for loving 10 minutes at time in the slowest possible interpretation of human speech were only made even more infuriating upon the discovery that they dump a text file transcript to your laptop outside of the animus that can be read in like 30 seconds. just absolutely atrocious design.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

baka kaba posted:

I liked Prey's audio logs, they did a good job of world building and making it feel like a real community of people with their own stuff going on - all these little personal stories that gave it a lot of heart and made stuff a bit more poignant if you found out what happened to them

plus they did the ol' System Shock switcheroo - not as effectively but it's still cool to have that hol' up a minute realisation that someone sounds different...

I kind of figured what was going on relatively early because I managed to skyrim to the escape pod and get an early ending. There's then some VO by your brother saying he has to reset.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Samuringa posted:

What was the general opinion on The Crew 2 again? I could go for some silly arcade racing though I remember it dropped the ball in some aspects?

It just isn’t all that silly in the end. You just do various kinds of races (and some stunt piloting) and slowly make your cars better in a scaled down USA. There’s no real plot beyond some background rivalries with background characters. If you don’t enjoy doing a lot of racing then there just isn’t much left over.

Also it has an version of the “gear score” system (in the form of car parts) that no one really liked in Breakpoint but it at least works better because upgrading cars makes more sense.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

baka kaba posted:

Prey’s audio logs got me back to get back in touch with one of my high school friends. There’s a pair of characters named after him and one of his high school buddies (the robot fighting league people).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cardiovorax posted:

I personally don't like GOG Galaxy a lot. It seems to be very unreliable about when and how many of your games it actually decides to scrape when you have a lot of them and randomly forgets my accounts sometimes. I don't have so many off-Steam games that it has been worth the bother of dealing with that so far.

I wish there was a big picture type thing for it. I feel like the only time using different launchers has been that much of a pain in the rear end to deal with is when I'm on the couch and really really do not want to get up. Honestly I was surprised to see that it wasn't already a thing when I checked, that seems like such a slam dunk.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Whats the best use of audio logs in games that isn't the System Shock or Bioshock series?

The Witness :getin:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is there a game similar to Dungeon of the Endless? For some reason that game is just really fun to me, with the mix of Roguelite + TD + RPG elements, and I want to know if something else exists that is comparable or if I should just wait until Dungeon 2 which may or may not ever come out.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Antigravitas posted:

I've never felt as :smith: in a game as I have in The Talos Principle when I figured out what was going on. The game world just feels so desolate and the audio logs instil a sense of crushing despair.

And it's a game from the Serious Sam people, which is doubly weird.

I love a lot of artsy walking sims, but I vibed with the puzzle game from the Serious Sam people harder than most.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

I've never felt as :smith: in a game as I have in The Talos Principle when I figured out what was going on. The game world just feels so desolate and the audio logs instil a sense of crushing despair.

And it's a game from the Serious Sam people, which is doubly weird.

I knew I was in for some poo poo when I read the computer log about making sure to leave a window open when you're close to succumbing so your pets can have a chance to survive

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Same here. The concept wasn't new to me when I played it, but I still found it to be an intensely depressing setting in a way that games with similar stories didn't even approach. Not entirely sure why.

It is a very depressing setting. One of impending doom and knowing the doom has happened but while they grapple with it (in their time) all the struggles that one would expect while one is trying to save what little droppings of humanity they can, perhaps futilely. that they're spending the last of their days under impending doom working away as everyone they know and work with around them dies and not spending a minute with love ones at all--all for trying to accomplish the goals not for themselves, not for anyone because no one will be alive, but just because of all the lives that contributed to history, arts, etc being something worth saving and worth spending the last end-times to do it, and stumbling along the way. an effort that came so close to failing, and almost did, except for...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mordja posted:

I kind of figured what was going on relatively early because I managed to skyrim to the escape pod and get an early ending. There's then some VO by your brother saying he has to reset.

Yeah I got that too but I was more like hmm how mysterious at that point

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Prey’s audio logs got me back to get back in touch with one of my high school friends. There’s a pair of characters named after him and one of his high school buddies (the robot fighting league people).

:kimchi:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/ArkaneStudios/status/1265643934526722049

looks like Arkane is teasing something in the coming week? I hope we will see more of deathloop

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I can't be the only weirdo who plays the Metro games in Russian?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

punk rebel ecks posted:

I can't be the only weirdo who plays the Metro games in Russian?

I wanted to, but they never bothered to subtitle incidental NPC chatter, so you end up missing out on a lot of 'flavour' stuff.

This is right at the start of Last Light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjRqMhplZ14

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I wanted to, but they never bothered to subtitle incidental NPC chatter, so you end up missing out on a lot of 'flavour' stuff.

This is right at the start of Last Light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjRqMhplZ14

I see. I still can't imagine not playing these games in Russian. It's just feels so..."right".

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Today I did something stupid and decided to do a bunch of the main story quests in AssCreed Origins instead of having fun

I'm being repaid with really stupid plot and

:ughh:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today I did something stupid and decided to do a bunch of the main story quests in AssCreed Origins instead of having fun

Yeah, its really bad and basically just gibberish coming from various glowy things

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've been sloshed out of my gourd for two of the endgame story quests now thinking each was the final final one and i legitimately have no understanding of who i'm trying to kill or why at this point

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Lord Lambeth posted:

https://twitter.com/ArkaneStudios/status/1265643934526722049

looks like Arkane is teasing something in the coming week? I hope we will see more of deathloop

I dunno, if they have anything to announce something it'd probably be something to do with one of their existing properties.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait until you randomly run into the final fantasy tie in quest that they put in Origins.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
They could literally announce anything and I'd be so happy for it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

So much of AssCreed origins is genuinely good and then it steps into a rake, and then into another rake, and then another rake, and

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dunno, if they have anything to announce something it'd probably be something to do with one of their existing properties.

Wait until you randomly run into the final fantasy tie in quest that they put in Origins.

i have to assume they already have considering it's like 3 inches south of the pyramids and they're at the end of the game

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

So much of AssCreed origins is genuinely good and then it steps into a rake, and then into another rake, and then another rake, and
Persist. The Curse of Pharaohs DLC is amazing and even has a pretty cool story.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

They could literally announce anything and I'd be so happy for it.

Monkey paw curls, Arkane Studios is releasing a MOBA/Battleroyale/Idle game

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I forgot if deathloop was announced before or after the upper management shenanigans they had? Regardless, that seemed like a pretty ace concept and I also want to see more(or of anything Arkane is making, really).

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Monkey paw curls, Arkane Studios is releasing a MOBA/Battleroyale/Idle game/deckbuilding game

I do really like Arkane's games, though I still gotta start playing Death of the Outsider

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I did that and it was amazingly stupid. I hated it.

anilEhilated posted:

Persist. The Curse of Pharaohs DLC is amazing and even has a pretty cool story.

Oh good, I'll look forward to that. I don't mind the magic stuff like fighting giant egyptian gods, I mind the "and now an AI will talk to you under a pyramid" bullshit. And I could forgive the roman vs egyptian politics plotline if it weren't tied up in "we need to get into this magic vault in siwa" bullshit

Anyways the main plot FINALLY dumped me out in Siwa with no pressing main quest (I have to go kill Flavius at some point) so I'm finally doing sidequests and fighting lions and it's a good game again

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Samuringa posted:

I forgot if deathloop was announced before or after the upper management shenanigans they had? Regardless, that seemed like a pretty ace concept and I also want to see more(or of anything Arkane is making, really).

I think it was after.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

I did that and it was amazingly stupid. I hated it.

Oh good, I'll look forward to that. I don't mind the magic stuff like fighting giant egyptian gods, I mind the "and now an AI will talk to you under a pyramid" bullshit. And I could forgive the roman vs egyptian politics plotline if it weren't tied up in "we need to get into this magic vault in siwa" bullshit

Anyways the main plot FINALLY dumped me out in Siwa with no pressing main quest (I have to go kill Flavius at some point) so I'm finally doing sidequests and fighting lions and it's a good game again

i forget, did you mention that this was your first ever assassin's creed game? because lol

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i forget, did you mention that this was your first ever assassin's creed game? because lol

It is! I've seen an LP of AssCreed 1 (years ago) but Origins is the first AssCreed I've ever actually played. I tried the one set in France but couldn't maintain interest when the game seemed determined to be a TV show instead of a game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

Dark Messiah remake that adds a dropkick and roundhouse kick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well just so you know finding out an ai under stonehenge from a super advanced alien race is responsible for nikola tesla's death ray destroying the country of monaco in the REAL history is de rigueur for every iteration of the series full stop. it's going to be like a person who really hates blocks playing the newest tetris release if you decide to keep on rolling with it