Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Solomonic posted:

ATTN Naughty Dog intern scouring the thread: I'd like a new Jak & Daxter sequel at some point please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So the official gameplay demo for LTOU2 features them throwing a loving molotov at a dog.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Toasty, no!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the first game opens with a child getting shot

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stux posted:

the first game opens with a child getting shot

While this is true it is not the protagonist shooting the child, nor is it an encouraged gameplay mechanic being shown off in a gameplay demo.

I will give them credit in that the 'realism' of people crying and screaming and calling their friend's names and screaming in horror as you immolate their dog is certainly massively uncomfortable and disturbing, it also seems like the exact opposite of a game I'd want to play.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i think the reason you put it in a gameplay demo is specifically to further make people not want to hurt the dogs and all the other stuff around it is meant to make you want to not do it. i feel like thats the point and that if you want to just make an animal murder sim you just make farcry 6

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stux posted:

i think the reason you put it in a gameplay demo is specifically to further make people not want to hurt the dogs and all the other stuff around it is meant to make you want to not do it. i feel like thats the point and that if you want to just make an animal murder sim you just make farcry 6

At least in the demo they showed off that really doesn't seem likely. It was basically a five minute trip of showing all the horrifying ways Ellie murders people. It isn't even like the Dog was after her, she just tossed it down on it from above because video games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

then why make the point earlier that you never have to kill any dog if you want to just make a dog murder sim. do you not think you show off the extremely uncomfortable reactions to everything before release to make people more likely to avoid doing it from the word go?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
this game will loving suck

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

ImpAtom posted:

So the official gameplay demo for LTOU2 features them throwing a loving molotov at a dog.

Who screams in pain like the alien from The Thing

... Which is fitting, when you think about it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stux posted:

then why make the point earlier that you never have to kill any dog if you want to just make a dog murder sim. do you not think you show off the extremely uncomfortable reactions to everything before release to make people more likely to avoid doing it from the word go?

They could also show the actual option to sneak past without killing which they don't actually do. They just show a large wave of murder and considering this is the same game franchise that has DLC Executions it has me trending to believe that they showed it off because they thought it was cool and gritty, not because they wanted to show you what NOT to do.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it will probably be polished and competent and sell well and be generally liked because thats what happens 9 times out of 10 with stuff like this despite how people online feel

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

They could also show the actual option to sneak past without killing which they don't actually do. They just show a large wave of murder and considering this is the same game franchise that has DLC Executions it has me trending to believe that they showed it off because they thought it was cool and gritty, not because they wanted to show you what NOT to do.

seems weird to say outright you can avoid doing it earlier if thats your aim

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Stux posted:

it will probably be polished and competent and sell well and be generally liked because thats what happens 9 times out of 10 with stuff like this despite how people online feel

pretty much. it will have enough decent/good character writing to make it decent and the gameplay will probably be more fun. the other thing is alot of people are still shut in from death plague and want a new big AAA game to play.

ImpAtom posted:

i mean i dont think they were ever gonna make it where you had non lethal/super sneak options. the first one didnt and none of ND games have so far. they arnt arkane/etc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if you hypothetically could totally sneak by a lot of the encounters but I expect it'll be really hard since TLoU leans so hard on the tension of being discovered, fighting your way out of it, disappearing, then getting into another scrap. But even in Uncharted 4 there were some enemy encounters you could just sneak right by, especially towards the end.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

ImpAtom posted:

Action sells a whole lot better than stealth.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Not gonna buy this game because I like my video games to be pleasant escapes from the real world and if I wanted to suffer through a miserable hellscape I could just go outside.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tlou had genuinely horrific violence, like significantly more than most games imo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Tlou had genuinely horrific violence, like significantly more than most games imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eML5icfq5VM

well 2 seems to top that. its hosed up and graphic in realitic way instead of gross at times like MK and such. i mean i am a broken person when it comes to graphic poo poo in games because i usually dont care for super gory horror movies(in the roth sense not the evil dead sense)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If I'm honest, the idea that the game has very realistic violence isn't what bothers me. Hell, I think it's about right for TLoU. I just don't really want to play a game that grim right now, or really any time soon. I also actively wanted there not to be a sequel to the first game from the moment I finished it so I'm perhaps not the audience for a sequel in the first place.

I hope it's really good! It's just not an experience I'm going to put into my brain any time soon no matter how good it is. I wouldn't want to replay the first game, either, FWIW, even though I thought it was very good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

If I'm honest, the idea that the game has very realistic violence isn't what bothers me. Hell, I think it's about right for TLoU. I just don't really want to play a game that grim right now, or really any time soon. I also actively wanted there not to be a sequel to the first game from the moment I finished it so I'm perhaps not the audience for a sequel in the first place.

I hope it's really good! It's just not an experience I'm going to put into my brain any time soon no matter how good it is. I wouldn't want to replay the first game, either, FWIW, even though I thought it was very good.

yeah. the first game was good, i just dont think it needed a direct sequel. like maybe follow a different person and etc. i dont even think the twist in this game sounds that bad, i am just more interested and Samurai game/cyberpunk/AC vikings.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Harrow posted:

Same, really. I remember really liking how peaceful the menu screen was, with the tattered curtain blowing in the soft breeze.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

This game really is arriving at the worst time possible in more ways than one.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harrow posted:

oh yeah im probably just going to wait for it to inevitably hit plus in a couple of years or something ive got tons to play already anyway

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah I admit part of my distaste is that if I wanted to see the aftermath of a pandemic where people were being loving horrible, abusing animals, acting like idiots and generally making the world worse every moment I'd just turn on the news.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

sebmojo posted:

Same, really. I remember really liking how peaceful the menu screen was, with the tattered curtain blowing in the soft breeze.

That was easily the best part of the game

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Also I just had a quick look at the gameplay video and skipped to a random bit and it was a swimming/underwater obstacle section and lol I can't think of anything more unfun

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Gameplay trailer looked rad, I’m gonna nail bomb all the dogs.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
So we have enemies choking to death on their own blood, spasming in their death throes after getting shivved, a dog getting incinerated complete with realistic sound effects and no doubt a lovingly rendered burnt dog carcass. Then we have the player character who can get shot twice in 10 seconds by rifles and other than a light wince you'd never know it happened.

lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

all youre doing is admitting you play games on easy which is an own goal

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah I love the first game but I just have been ground down to having absolutely zero interest in this.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

MeatwadIsGod posted:

So we have enemies choking to death on their own blood, spasming in their death throes after getting shivved, a dog getting incinerated complete with realistic sound effects and no doubt a lovingly rendered burnt dog carcass. Then we have the player character who can get shot twice in 10 seconds by rifles and other than a light wince you'd never know it happened.

lol

This game strikes me as one where whatever “lesson” they think it teaches is just one they haven’t learned yet themselves. Neil seems like someone who saw gates and fences and kids being shot by soldiers simply for being outside the proper zone, and was like “woah reality is SOO gritty! There’s so much grey between extremes!!!1!”

It makes me not want to think about why his approach to “cycles of violence” is the way it is, given how they seem to want to frame a man stopping a cult from dissecting a child as a key reignition of the cycle deserving of instructive blowback.

There’s another more positive way to look at that, but the flaming yelping dog kinda confuses it.

I can’t help but compare this to death stranding, where the absolute lack of human population has a very different effect on the remainder of the population. TLOU is basically at its heart a chud fantasy about the inherent evil of man.

ND is the guy who tells you to buy guns for when the storm hits, bemoaning the savageness of man, all while loading shotgun shells.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 28, 2020

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Stux posted:

all youre doing is admitting you play games on easy which is an own goal

stux deftly keeps the gate

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
it's okay to kill the dog as long as you eat it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

tlou1 is a chud fantasy?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

MeatwadIsGod posted:

lol

you forgot the worst travesty of all

prolonged footage of someone playing a PSVita

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

stux deftly keeps the gate

listen pal if youre actively complaining that your player character is too strong and doesnt die easily enough its not gatekeeping anymore to say "stop playing on easy"

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

CharlestonJew posted:

you forgot the worst travesty of all

prolonged footage of someone playing a PSVita

This was good for how weird and jarringly shoehorned in it was, like Monster Energy in Death Stranding.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

While this is true it is not the protagonist shooting the child, nor is it an encouraged gameplay mechanic being shown off in a gameplay demo.

I will give them credit in that the 'realism' of people crying and screaming and calling their friend's names and screaming in horror as you immolate their dog is certainly massively uncomfortable and disturbing, it also seems like the exact opposite of a game I'd want to play.

Remember, the word fun is banned or some poo poo by ND!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Stux posted:

listen pal if youre actively complaining that your player character is too strong and doesnt die easily enough its not gatekeeping anymore to say "stop playing on easy"

he was talking about the gameplay footage, which was recorded on easy mode, but meatwadisgod was not playing the game in the footage, meaning your response of "stop playing on easy" makes no sense whatsoever. unless meatwadisgod was in fact the person playing in the footage, in which case what the gently caress are you doing posting get back to work bitch