Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004

Omobono posted:

It's not really needed, the characters in 1 are so constantly vocal that a battle commentator would be pointless. One of the touches I love about the first game.

One of the things I quite liked about the combat was the announcer getting hype about blade/fusion combos and mashing buttons at the right time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I hated the enemies that reflected beam/ether/whatever in XCX. There was a flying Tyrant that looked like a UFO that I kept killing myself fighting until I realized it was reflecting my attack back at me.

That was worse than spikes.

If memory serves, the mods to negate reflect were available early and easy to make, so it was easy enough to just set one and forget about it. Spikes, on the other hand, I recall not being able to actually negate until late-game in 1, and everything before that was just some flavor of partial resist.

Only needing one reflect piercing mod helped too.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So much of that has "player 1/2/3/TESTER" placeholders for the never-implemented world-exploring multiplayer :allears:. Did the actual multiplayer even get that text chat?

Nope. You got that one chat option that let you post a short message to the entire squad once a minute or so and that was it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I figured the announcer was Azurda. Not like he has much to do in the fight, so he might as hype everyone up.

He just, you know, turns the voice off when he announces an enemy weakness.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Man, I loved XCX but never had time to get into XC1 somehow, either on the Wii or the 3DS. I've got my eye on this definitive edition though, and need to pick up 2 at some point.

I had way too much just exploring in XCX, but I was also VERY glad I bought the huge guide book. I think that's one of the last really huge strategy guides, but I also haven't been to gamestop where I used to see them on shelves in years.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
It'd be great if they'd discount 2 on the release of the DE to encourage people with itchy credit card fingers like myself to get both at once.

...but of course Nintendo won't bother.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tae posted:

Xenoboade 2 was down to like 40 people because for all intents and purposes, breath of the wild wouldn't exist without monolith at all.

As good as the exploration can be in Xenoblade games, Breath of the Wild was next level and I'll forgive the lack of manpower on XC2 if it means XC3 or XCX2 has that kind of open world exploration to it.

Though with BotW 2 in development who the hell knows when we'll see the next Xenoblade game since I can't imagine Nintendo's going to let too many people go back to Monolith Soft when the next Zelda game is going to have an utterly insane amount of hype around it.

DLC Inc posted:

just remembered this, which imo was one of the most chilling and amazing teasers Nintendo ever put out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxUMMGyZcM

Just recalling how loving amazing it was to see this game in motion, seeing a high-def Monolith game which kicked into that incredible music, the combat, the loving mechs, Shulk's face (which pissed me off when it turned out to be a lie lol) and that stark X with the thunderclap. Wasn't a fan of the resulting product but gently caress, this was a ridiculously good way to show people Monolith was a big deal at Nintendo. Though I guess helping on something as important as BOTW cemented that, alongside not 1 but 2 ambitious ports of their first XC.

The part 50 seconds in when they board the mech and take off was just so :vince: and then the mech combat and travel and holy poo poo the mech is a transformer. The game didn't live up to the hype that trailer made me feel but the foundations of an amazing game are definitely visible through XCX's flaws.

The Shulk (because that sure as hell isn't Cross and his :shepface: face) tease makes me wonder if it was intended to tie in to XC1 and that got dropped later in development when they realized there was no goddamn way they were going to fully finish their pseudo-MMO and so they started cutting back in a ton of ways, like the the World Tyrant fighting shows they had working multiplayer but they either didn't have the time to get it working in regular gameplay or hit some insurmountable blocker.

If they make a XCX DE and just add actual co-op I'd buy it immediately even if all the other bugs and Tatsu-still-existing problems remain.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

just remembered this, which imo was one of the most chilling and amazing teasers Nintendo ever put out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxUMMGyZcM

Just recalling how loving amazing it was to see this game in motion, seeing a high-def Monolith game which kicked into that incredible music, the combat, the loving mechs, Shulk's face (which pissed me off when it turned out to be a lie lol) and that stark X with the thunderclap. Wasn't a fan of the resulting product but gently caress, this was a ridiculously good way to show people Monolith was a big deal at Nintendo. Though I guess helping on something as important as BOTW cemented that, alongside not 1 but 2 ambitious ports of their first XC.

This is the trailer that made me want a Wii U so I could play this game. I've never had more regrets other than when I got a Sega Saturn over the original PlayStation lol.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think XB series has better exploration than BOTW because man is that world boring

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What I like about the open world of the Xenoblade games is that they throw in gently caress you level 80+ monsters alongside the monsters that you within your level range. It reminds me of classic Everquest.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Unoriginal One posted:

If memory serves, the mods to negate reflect were available early and easy to make, so it was easy enough to just set one and forget about it. Spikes, on the other hand, I recall not being able to actually negate until late-game in 1, and everything before that was just some flavor of partial resist.

Only needing one reflect piercing mod helped too.

On your Skell? The Ares 90 didn’t let you add mods, I think?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
You could add augments to the Ares 90

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Well poo poo, I didn’t even know there was an anti-reflect mod.

I probably won’t play it again unless they port it to Switch but that’s good to know just in case.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There's also mods to reflect enemy damage

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Saw this on reddit, if it's real it's an A+ reference and a nice bonus in general

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

IcePhoenix posted:

Saw this on reddit, if it's real it's an A+ reference and a nice bonus in general

It’s real, the GameExplain video mentioned it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbF59jGO3ho

technical breakdown!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Shulk (because that sure as hell isn't Cross and his :shepface: face) tease makes me wonder if it was intended to tie in to XC1 and that got dropped later in development when they realized there was no goddamn way they were going to fully finish their pseudo-MMO and so they started cutting back in a ton of ways, like the the World Tyrant fighting shows they had working multiplayer but they either didn't have the time to get it working in regular gameplay or hit some insurmountable blocker.

There's a few stray references that the Nopon have legends of the Bionis in their tribe. My personal theory is based on XC2's ending I think initially XBX was meant to be evacuation ships bailing off Earth at the same time XC knocked the planet into a pocket universe. I'd also wager the little tie-in to XC was meant to happen in XBX instead originally rather than XC2.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 28, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

IcePhoenix posted:

I am not sure what it is a reference to.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Unlucky7 posted:

Rex gets 100,000 gold early into XB2

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Unlucky7 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swhDAs_qNfA&t=44s

it's the advance Rex gets for taking the job from the chairman to help Malos and co at the start of the game

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Paying it forward, that's an amazing reference

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Rex and Shulk had a talk during some downtime and Rex found a way to do a trans-time-and-dimension delivery to past Shulk? I'm guessing that must be an Amazon Prime option. :D

IcePhoenix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swhDAs_qNfA&t=44s

it's the advance Rex gets for taking the job from the chairman to help Malos and co at the start of the game

What's with Nopons and human bunny girls/meidos etc.? There's Bana's ladies, Tora (+ father) with Poppi, that giant meido mecha by Tora's nemesis.

I don't remember Nopons in 1 being like this. Or in X. Then again, Nopons are deliberately acting all cutesy and dumb to be underestimated, so this is probably how it takes form in 2.
(2 confirms this fact with that sidequest chain about the legendary Nopon explorer; in 1 and X it was more an heavily implied thing)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Game is getting pretty good reviews. 89 on MC. Hoping I can actually finish it this time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Started a new playthrough of Xenoblade X on the Wii U emulator CEMU, it plays surprisingly well. Enough so that someone could finish the game completely if they wanted, which I kinda want to do despite all of my earlier complaints. :hellyeah: Even better would be if Nintendo just ports the game to Switch.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Do eShop games unlock at midnight?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Does XC1 or XCX have a Nia-tier character, or is she just kinda unique to her own game? I need another angry Welsh grandma in my adventure.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Shyfted One posted:

I believe the unlock US East Midnight.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Takoluka posted:

Does XC1 or XCX have a Nia-tier character, or is she just kinda unique to her own game? I need another angry Welsh grandma in my adventure.

Nah unfortunately XB1 doesn’t have any standout characters. Maybe Metal face who is kind of hammy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Takoluka posted:

Unique to her own game and dub track, sadly. Sharla kinda fills the same role of being the level-headed one in the group in XC1 (though more of the "girlfriend keeping her boyfriend and his best friend from doing stupid poo poo" kind), and XCX has a bunch of party members who are either one-dimensional tropes or gags.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Aww. Oh well!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Riki owns pretty hard imo

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Shyfted One posted:

not all of them but major releases do.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

multijoe posted:

More and more, the more you know about him, too.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
riki sneaky

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

multijoe posted:

You could say

HEROPON, VERY COOL!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You could say

HEROPON, VERY COOL!

Meh meh meh!?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Takoluka posted:

Meh meh meh!?

TORA LIKE FIGHTING EASY MONSTERS

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

TORA LIKE FIGHTING EASY MONSTERS

*rolls eyes* okay, masterpon

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

If they make a XCX DE and just add actual co-op I'd buy it immediately even if all the other bugs and Tatsu-still-existing problems remain.

besides technical/budget issues that the director/producer has mentioned about bringing XCX to Switch, I'd surmise the reticence about a port is partially rooted in knowing they'd rather have a more fully fleshed out out game rather than prop up the one that fell pretty flat. I'd really love for a lot of XCX ideas to get carried over to a new game, though. Give me GUNS and those metal slab swords again, the art design for the weapons was so loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah unfortunately XB1 doesn’t have any standout characters. Maybe Metal face who is kind of hammy

I can't believe you'd disrespect great heropon Riki like this. :mad: